Alvin Kamara refused to remove nose ring before pre-draft meeting with a G.M.

Getty Images

Saints running back Alvin Kamara possibly could have ended up being drafted earlier than pick No. 67, but he refused to compromise who he is. And that’s a great thing.

Kamara recently explained to Andrew Hawkins of Uninterrupted.com that Kamara received a specific request prior to a pre-draft meeting — and that he declined.

“I had a team before I went into a meeting, one of the guys came up to me and was like, ‘Well, you’re about to go in with the G.M. so, you know, he doesn’t really understand the nose rings and things like that. So you might want to — can you take them out or tuck them?’ I was like, ‘No.’

“Basically, if you don’t understand it or you don’t like it, then you don’t need to draft me. It wouldn’t be a good choice to draft me.”

Although, in theory, Kamara could have been selected higher (and, in turn, could have made more money), Kamara stayed true to himself. In so doing, he also pushed back against the over-the-top “job interview” nature of the NFL draft, which tries to put players on pins and needles while creating the perception that it’s an “honor” to surrender the right to choose an employer and in turn to be chosen by the employer.

Possibly while wearing a nose ring.

44 responses to “Alvin Kamara refused to remove nose ring before pre-draft meeting with a G.M.

1. If NFL teams let factors other than talent get in the way of those decisions, they risk other teams drafting them.
    ————
    Other factors, like beating women, robbery, etc???

2. Here’s the reality: NFL teams want the most talented players. If NFL teams let factors other than talent get in the way of those decisions, they risk other teams drafting them. And those players can then become a thorn in the side of the team that refused to draft them for reasons other than talent.
    ______________

Sounds like you’re saying talent is the only criterion against which potential draft picks should be judged. Does that mean Tyreek Hill should have been a first round pick?

3. Must be nice. Back in my day I’d bark like a dog if a potential employer asked me to!

4. This is awesome. He understood his leverage and knew he didn’t have to interview with the employer if that meant sacrificing his being. Salute to Kamara understanding who he is and not wavering.

5. The NFL is his employer. He just works out of the New Orleans office. He’ll get a chance to transfer to any branch he chooses in a couple years.

6. 26predator says:
    June 27, 2019 at 3:04 pm

———————-

That is sad you would compromise yourself like that. I would never let any employer dictate anything other then the work I will be doing. Sad some people think you should be so submissive.

7. If NFL teams let factors other than talent get in the way of those decisions, they risk other teams drafting them.
    —–
    I wish more NFL teams would let factors other than talent get in the way of their decision making. So tired of seeing horrible humans being so handsomly rewarded because they can run fast and jump high. The nose ring thing is ridiculous though

8. Wrong Mike. It was not a “good” thing.
    It was a CHILDISH/SELFISH/Short-sighted thing.

Wait until he might have to get a real job some day. You conform to expectations and images related to your employment. Lucky for him he’s been able to do whatever he wants, deny what he wants, skate on responsibility probably ALL his life because he was a freakishly good athlete that people made provisions for.

This is the kind of thing that has RUINED professional sports. The privileged “me first”, “I do what I want” attitude of the athletes.

9. I should wear shorts to my next job interview. We’ll see how that goes. If only the rest of the world had it as easy as these poor, persecuted NFL players. Stubbornness/defiance isn’t an attractive quality for someone who wants a job.

10. I know people just like him that don’t do anything their boss ask them !

11. Top each there own. The last I checked it’s a free country.

Although I do have to check more and more periodically than I use to.

12. My ex had a nose ring, tongue ring, and visible tattoos when she got out of residency she went to interviews dressed up but with all three clearly visible. Oh and she had an unconventional hairstyle with the sides shaved and braids. Her attitude was this is me, I’m not going to hide it. She got multiple offers. It helped that she was an anesthesiologist and there aren’t too many of those around but it just goes to show at the end of the day if your skillset is in demand enough and you know you stuff you will find an employer that accepts you.

13. @2ruefan says:
    June 27, 2019 at 3:43 pm
    Wrong Mike. It was not a “good” thing.
    It was a CHILDISH/SELFISH/Short-sighted thing.

==============================================================
    You must live a sheltered life. Apparently you haven’t worked with computer geeks that literally disbanded corporate dress codes as we once knew them. In addition, your statement highlights why prejudice reigns in America…too many tatoo.. braids or dreadlocks, long hair all once frowned upon are acceptable now.

14. Rdog says:
    June 27, 2019 at 3:45 pm
    ——————————————————————————————–What have you done to earn the same privileges as them? What are you one of the best in the world at?

15. I wish these guys would out the GMs or organizations that ask ridiculous or make assinine requests.

16. @Rdog says:
    June 27, 2019 at 3:45 pm
    ==================================================================
    Well, if you’re applying for a job in the NFL, you probably could. If your company doesn’t provide a uniform, then the dress code now allows people to show up to work looking like they just rolled out of bed. I work for a Fortune 100 company. Our dress code is so relaxed now it just shows how little regard folks have for their appearance. On the other hand, thinks like nose rings, braids are cultural. Get with the times or get out the way.

17. BuckyBadger says:
    June 27, 2019 at 3:26 pm
    26predator says:
    June 27, 2019 at 3:04 pm
    ______________________________________

Don’t be preposterous.

Dictating what you work on is just the beginning buddy. Your employer will also dictate how you do that work, WHEN you do the work, the tools you’ll use on the job, what you wear while you’re at work, the kinds of things you can and can’t say while at work, how you treat other people while at work, in many cases where you’ll go for healthcare…

I’m just scratching the surface, bub. I’m afraid you’re going to have to join the rest of us sad humans at some point. “Submissive…” Sure, call it what you will. You provide your time and services in exchange for money. You know, so you can eat food and stuff. That’s part of life.

18. He’s setting a great example.

Just be yourself during an interview. Arrive with visible tats on your face or neck, leave in a nose ring, and tell them that you’re just being you.

But make sure you do this in another country. I’m tired of paying for all of these unemployable losers with my tax dollars.

19. Or…the team asked him to do so to see how Kamara would respond. And perhaps the GM liked the fact he refused, showing some backbone and fortitude.

But who says that the team in question was going to take him higher??
    Maybe they wanted to take him in the 2nd or 3rd round like most teams had him slotted….but got sniped by the Saints.

You’re making assumptions again Florio.

20. So many people in the comments crying that a young, talented athlete wouldnt compromise for a (likely) terrible gm’s preconcieved prejudices. Dude didnt compromise and now plays for a true competitor. And people comparing a generational rb with a nose ring to someone like tyreek hill who broke a child’s arm are trash. Sad!

21. If you are a top producer in your field of work you can get away with a lot more than others.

A top bond salesman or trader on wall street can come to work in pajamas, as long as they don’t meet with clients. If you aren’t one of those top 1% then you had better work on making a good impression.

When I go for interviews or meet with people I try not to do anything that makes me or my company look bad, no matter how minor.

22. BuckyBadger says:

June 27, 2019 at 3:26 pm

26predator says:
    June 27, 2019 at 3:04 pm

———————-

———-
    So you show up when you want at your job? Leave when you want? Wear what you want? Act how you want? You don’t have any rules that aren’t specific to your task? I find that to be highly doubtful.

23. Gained a huge amount of respect for this guy after reading an article about him flaming out at Alabama in college. He transferred and landed at UT and his attitude about being a good teammate (back up to Hurd at the time) first and focusing on the on field success second was a breath of fresh air in today’s sports landscape. I believe you can still see that in the way he has shared the field in New Orleans.

24. @TheGuru.
    Apparently you’re NOT a Guru.
    I am an information Security Specialist who has worked IT jobs for the last 20 years, and been around all kind of folks. And still am on a daily basis.

Nothing “Sheltered” about my business experience in the least. And probably WAY more familiar with said “Geeks” than you.

But if ANY of the companies I have worked for had any kind of policy or even general awareness that a company exec or even interviewer might not appreciate a nose ring, they would be perceived as exactly what they acted like if they came in refusing to comply or adjust. Someone who is so selfish they value their “image” over anything else, and would likely not take any coaching, direction or leadership.

Sorry, but you’re just plain wrong and out of touch with the real (business) world.

MAYBE a person like that would be welcomed or heralded at Microsoft or Google, or Amazon, or in a back room lab, but not interacting with others.

Coders maybe. Not people who interact with other folks and have to relate and adjust.

25. 2ruefan says:
    June 27, 2019 at 3:43 pm
    Wrong Mike. It was not a “good” thing.
    It was a CHILDISH/SELFISH/Short-sighted thing.

________________________________________________

LOL dude pump the brakes, it’s a nose ring

26. If it cost him some dough, that’s up to him. If he thinks he looks good with a nose ring, also good. If he wants just to use this to stick it to others that don’t understand, that’s also up to him. But if you are a top performer on Wall Street, you won’t be seen in pajamas. The world of sports may be a business, but it’s a far cry from reality many of us deal with.

27. Principles are all well and good, unless it cost you a few million dollars when those principles cause you to drop out of the first round.

28. I should wear shorts to my next job interview. We’ll see how that goes. If only the rest of the world had it as easy as these poor, persecuted NFL players. Stubbornness/defiance isn’t an attractive quality for someone who wants a job.

——————————————-

Maybe…just maybe…clothing and nose rings are in different categories. I work in a professional environment and could not get away with wearing shorts, but no one cares that I have visible arm tattoos when I roll my shirt sleeves up. One of my co workers has tattoos and nose rings but dresses professionally and is great at her job.

29. Damn it Spielman!!! I knew there was a reason he was not in purple. We took Cook over Kamara when it was reported that we had interest.. Damn it.

30. I’m an old white man. Of course I don’t understand it. I think of it like a bull ring they put on cattle to lead them around.

More power to him if that is what he wants to do. I’m learning that people do a lot of stuff to their bodies. Just don’t make others do it (piercings, tattoos, etc.) and don’t get upset when you get stares for ‘weird’ things.

You do you.

31. You go into a interview being and looking your best. Unless you are a can’t miss player, which he wasn’t, teams probably viewed him as just another attitude. But wearing a nose ring and costing yourself money in the process, great choice!! Hope he can make it to his next contract injury free.

32. I refused to get a haircut years ago for an interview and worked until I got my pension. I feel badly for guys that when tell them to take a dump they ask how much and what color Sir. I walked off a job one time because my boss was a total douche and when I got home I called the his boss to explain myself. He told me I could come back anytime I wanted since I was a very good worker. I have met a lot of young kids with tats and rings that treat me nicely. God I wish I had my long hair now that I am old.

33. Never understand why someone wants to look like a bull waiting for the rancher, especially a beautiful young lady. That and face tattoos,, not getting hired where I work, we deal with the public, doesn’t give a very professional vibe so like anything else, your choice to do my choice to reject.