Lighter Rob Gronkowski enjoying retired life . . . at least right now

Getty Images

Rob Gronkowski looks like he has lost weight because he has lost weight. While the former Patriots tight end said Wednesday he has not lost as much as it appears, Gronkowski’s new physique is the best indication he is serious about retirement.

In a picture from an appearance at a Showtime event for Julian Edelman‘s new documentary, Gronkowski looked much lighter than his listed playing weight of 268 last season.

“I’m actually down to 250 right now,” Gronkowski said on the Rich Eisen Show on Wednesday, via NFL.com. “It must’ve been the angle or the shirt that was on me. I ain’t that skinny that the picture going around [shows]. I have definitely lost some weight. I’ve been 260 since I was 18 years old, from 260 to like 270. I just always wanted to see what it feels like to get down, to feel light, to feel loose.”

Since announcing his retirement in March, Gronkowski said he has relaxed, traveled, visited family and enjoyed life. He has not missed football yet, but it’s not football season yet.

Gronkowski acknowledges he doesn’t expect retirement to hit him until September.

“There’s definitely going to be times when you miss it and everything,” Gronkowski said. “I would always say that it’s still the offseason right now. I mean I can’t really say how I’m going to feel about it when the games start rolling around and everything. You know, I just felt like it was time. I feel really good right and it was just definitely something I felt like it was the right time and the right thing to do. To have that load off your back, I mean I’ve been playing football for 15 years straight in a row of that grind. Just relaxing right now feels good.”

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady already has campaigned for Gronkowski’s return at some point during the season. Gronkowski doesn’t plan on that happening.

“Thank you; I love you; I miss you,” Gronkowski said, laughing. “But I’m just relaxing, Tommy. . . .Call me when you get to the playoffs.”

31 responses to “Lighter Rob Gronkowski enjoying retired life . . . at least right now

1. Joe Thomas, a FAR superior football player, looked like the ghost of Joe Thomas within a year of retiring. What makes these guys greats goes beyond the physical talents and speaks to their work ethics and discipline. That he loses a lot of weight fast isn’t shocking.

2. Exactly what I told y’all on previous article yesterday (when I said it looks like he’s only lost about 15 lbs) and most of you (haters) thumbed me down! Well, he was listed at 264 last year, and now 250. That’s 14 lbs lost, not 15, but I’m good at estimating rather than crying a ton of tears like the salty mountain of hate.

3. amurdora says:
    July 3, 2019 at 3:53 pm
    Joe Thomas,(…) looked like the ghost of Joe Thomas within a year of retiring. What makes these guys greats goes beyond the physical talents and speaks to their work ethics and discipline. That he loses a lot of weight fast isn’t shocking.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When active, these athletes are consuming about 5,000 calories a day. It is no surprise that retired players like Thomas and Gronk lose significant weight once they retire.

4. amurdora says:
    July 3, 2019 at 3:53 pm

Joe Thomas, a FAR superior football player-
    ————————————————————————————-
    Really? FAR superior? Based on what, exactly?

5. These guys take a ton of supplements. Some legal; some not. They pack on the muscle. When they stop they lose mass. You can tell because they lose it fast. This doesn’t happen if the gain wasn’t artificially propped up.

6. If nothing else Gronk clearly needs the attention and adulation of fans and the media. If anything brings him back to the field it’ll be that.

Love Gronk, but if you’re retired then retire and go away. Give the limelight to the new guys in the league.

7. As a Giants fan I have no dog in this hunt, but to say Joe Thomas was a “FAR superior” player is ridiculous.

8. Gronk, you disrespected your coach and owner who stood by you when you were injured but still costing the team millions. You left them uninformed. Shame on you.

Why can’t you just go away quietly like most people with class do?

Are you really this much of an egotist?

9. amurdora says:

July 3, 2019 at 3:53 pm

———–
    As Patsbrat stated it’s reduction of caloric intake but either way I wouldn’t say he lost a lot of weight fast. Just saying he was 268 at the time of the super bowl that means he’s lost 18 lbs in 5 months.

10. To the Patriots sychophants:
    1) of course Thomas was far superior, he actually stayed on the field. TE is the easy/wussiest position in football and Glasskowski couldn’t help but injure himself. Great receiver (only due to rules changes) but such a wuss, relatively speaking.
    2) of course he is waiting until the playoffs to get hurt and be out, why bother getting hurt in regular season when you can get hurt in the Super Bowl.

11. redlikethepig says:
    July 3, 2019 at 4:59 pm
    These guys take a ton of supplements. Some legal; some not. They pack on the muscle. When they stop they lose mass. You can tell because they lose it fast. This doesn’t happen if the gain wasn’t artificially propped up……………………………………………………..Wrong Nancy !! Muscle is muscle regardless. They may lose tone but not the mass !! Study up a tad before you jump to such conclusions !!

12. Joe Thomas was a fantastic player but his talent had no major impact on his team or the QB’s he protected or the backs he blocked for. He was a durable player who played in 36 more games than Gronkowski. In Thomas’ final 36 games the Browns were 3-33.

One could write chapter and verse about the impact Gronkowski had on his team in both the running and passing game. In the playoffs, in high pressure situations with important games on the line, Gronkowski delivered consistently.

13. Probably his intended “normal life” weight & size. I bet this is much easier on his back & joints.

Haters….what a cute antiquated term used by 12 year old female Pats fans.

Gronkowski stopped juicing so he could swallow a bunch and be in shape in no time flat….but he wont.

14. Many ex-football players gain weight after retiring because they no longer exercise as much but their big appetite (needed to fuel their bodies when they are playing) does not go away.

15. carloswlassiter says:
    July 3, 2019 at 4:26 pm

Really? FAR superior? Based on what, exactly?

————-

I would say based on the performance of each and the availability of each.

Joe Thomas was the best LT in the NFL for each of his first 10 seasons straight. Never missed a game and performed each and every week. He also played one of the toughest positions in the game and did so almost flawlessly.

Gronkowski, when he was able to play, was a terrific TE. Probably the best in the game for 5 seasons (2011-2015). But he just wasn’t able to stay on the field and the injuries turned him into a lesser player.

Team accomplishments are great but they do not define a player. Put Thomas on a good team and some might be calling him the best to ever play the position because he should be in that discussion. He will be a certain 1st ballot HOFer because he earned it.

Gronkowski maybe as well. But he just missed too many games.

16. Did gronk learn his PED usage etiquette from other cheating Boston heroes like Ortiz, Clemens, Ramirez, etc? The cheating never ends in asteriskville

17. thermanmerman99 says:
    July 4, 2019 at 12:50 pm

———-

Well he didn’t learn it from Peyton Manning or else his head would have grown four full sizes in the offseason

18. Of course when you aren’t on the juice, you return to normal human size. Nate Newton style.

19. Are you kidding me? Steroids & supplements that when the body breaks them down become steroids like Andro cause water muscles. That’s why when people stop taking them they loose the “muscle” mass immediately. Stop spanking it on the websites & actually read & learn something.

justafan says: