In recorded conversation, Tyreek Hill denies 2014 assault he pleaded guilty to

Getty Images

Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill pleaded guilty to domestic assault and battery by strangulation after a 2014 incident with Crystal Espinal, who was then pregnant with his son. But in a recorded conversation with Espinal, Hill denied the incident and accused Espinal of lying.

After their son suffered a broken arm this year, authorities launched a child abuse investigation. No charges were filed, but Hill faced renewed scrutiny over the incident, as well as the recorded conversation, in which Espinal said their son was terrified of him and Hill replied, “You need to be terrified of me too, bitch.” Now a fuller version of that recording has been published by 610 Sports in Kansas City, and Hill shows no remorse over the 2014 incident.

“You f–king ruined my life and you lied on me in 2014. I’m still not over that. I didn’t touch you in 2014,” Hill told Espinal. “You lied on me in 2014. If you want to rewind that night, we can rewind that night, too. You was in my house. And did I pick you up and slam you? Hell no. I picked you up and put you out.”

Espinal then asked, “Where did the bruises come from, Tyreek?” Hill did not answer.

Espinal also said, “You had your hand around my neck,” to which Hill replied, “No, I did not.”

87 responses to “In recorded conversation, Tyreek Hill denies 2014 assault he pleaded guilty to

1. This guy is going to be playing with the face of the NFL and every time Mahomes throws him the ball people are going to think of domestic violence.

2. I imagine it’s a semantic thing. He probably didn’t grab her from the front and choke her with both hands like you see in movies; he probably picked her up in a sort of headlock/chokehold and dragged her outside. It’s a distinction without a difference, if that is indeed the case.

3. I work in professional health services and this is a classic example of how narrisistic sociapaths handle their business; lie, pass blame and don’t even admit to prior incidents that they previously owned up to.

While I feel bad for Kansas City in losing two big offensive players in the same year due to off the field incidents, clearly Hill should be banned from football because he is mentally unstable. To exploit him for football so that he can continue to make millions is simply wrong, he needs professional help and the NFL should find it for him.

4. This guy is an absolute dirt bag! Just kick him out of the league. Why does KC even entertain this?????

5. “Given that statement, and Hill’s guilty plea, his denial in 2019 of his actions in 2014 are likely to be seen by most as a refusal to show remorse and accept responsibility for his actions.”

He doesn’t know she’s recording him and literally says “Did I hit you? Tell me the truth in my eyes right now. Look at me” and she says “We’re not talking about that.”

6. Hill is a serial domestic violence abuser. People who do this do not stop on their own, they only do so if jailed or shocked into doing so. Many end up in jail for killing their spouse or significant other. He is a danger to Espinal and the kids.

Goodell better wise up and get this guy on the exempt list. Its only a matter of time till he does something else terrible to her, the son or the twins that are on the way if he’s not stopped.

7. Radio station released all the audio and you guys decide to use one part of it to push your story in the direction you choose? I’m gonna say that most of the comments in here will be by people that haven’t read into the story or listened to the audio. Always much easier to read a headline and roll with it huh?

Text messages were released:

“Crystal you know I didn’t cause any bruising or harm to [our son.] But for some reason I still may be charged,” Hill texted to Espinal.

In response, she texted back by saying, “I know you didn’t. I did. I hurt [our son.] I’m the one that did it. I was hurt and mad at you so I blamed you for everything.”

But keep pushing your narrative. Got to get them clicks.

8. Bro…the point of this audio is to give full context to the previous edited conversation that KCTV5 played. Given that most people on this site didn’t listen to the actual full audio and 610 isn’t going to podcast the full conversation, it’s interesting that you again take a small portion of the conversation out of context to fit Florio’s narrative. Also, I’m looking forward to your next story about how Kareem Hunt is a changed man!

9. Hill has rarely spoken of the 2014 incident, although in 2016 he said that people “have every right to be mad at me because I did something wrong.” Given that statement, and Hill’s guilty plea, his denial in 2019 of his actions in 2014 are likely to be seen by most as a refusal to show remorse and accept responsibility for his actions.

I’m trying hard to understand this thought process. Hill, who didn’t know he was being recorded, denied in a conversation with his fiance, doing the things he was accused of in 2014. Why would he lie to his fiance, who was the only other person that was there and knows the complete truth if he didn’t know he was being recorded?

10. Its all coming out now. She has been lying on him for years, and the truth will soon come out for all to know.
    Thd woman had been pulling stuff on him along wigh her family. The league is aware of everything. She was out for money, and Tyreke cut her off

11. pl30 says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Nope. I will be thinking TD Kansas City

12. He doesn’t understand the meaning of the word guilty. It’s not his fault he went to college and didn’t learn how to be a humane human.

13. I realize it takes two to tango, but he should’ve dumped that crazy Espinal a long time ago. You can’t get along in a household with two crazies just take a gander at Love after Lockup.

14. When you day something like “You need to be terrified of me too, bitch.” It’s kinda hard to think you’re remorseful or innocent.

15. IF he did anything he should have to PAY the price. If he did’nt, then he should PAY OFF this woman, open a TRUST for his son and fight for custody. That’s the only two options he has.

16. whatjusthapped says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:20 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Now do the woman. Hint: she is not much better. Their relationship is toxic and manipulative based on each person’s words and actions.

17. Mr. Genius says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:42 pm

She has a kid with him already and is currently pregnant. She’d be getting over 200 grand per month from child support once he signed his monster contract.

18. jburnabtnh says:
    ==

Why would he plead guilty if he wasn’t — and why would he later admit publicly that he did something wrong if there was nothing in it or no advantage for him? Because stupid people who can’t control their emotions or thoughts do and say stupid things.
    Guys like that eventually convince themselves they did nothing wrong and grow to believe their own lies.

19. pl30 says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Mahomes is not the face of the NFL. And I’m not so sure Hill is going to be catching passes from anybody this season.

20. “Why would he plead guilty if he wasn’t”

Is this a serious question?

Because the alternative is facing charges and jail. Because he was a broke black college student who couldn’t afford a lawyer.

People plead guilty all the time to things they didn’t do. And there’s plenty of people who said “I’m not pleading guilty to something I didn’t do” sitting in prison.

21. dregonspengler says:

—————

He wanted to be drafted and was given the option of no jail time and a clean record after 3 years of good behavior if he plead guilty. Look, I’m not saying he’s guilty or innocent, it just seems strange to me that he would lie to the person he was accused of abusing when he doesn’t even know he’s being recorded. It would be like me going up to you and punching you and then telling you that I didn’t punch you. Doesn’t make sense to me.

22. I see the writers at this site are just going to go down with the ship, hey? Just keep spinning and spinning and spinning but when all is said and done, the NFL has all the facts, and the Chiefs believe Hill isn’t going to miss a game.

Like it or not, facts and evidence still dictate innocence or guilt, not the media.

23. jburnabtnh says:
    He wanted to be drafted and was given the option of no jail time and a clean record after 3 years of good behavior if he plead guilty. . . . Doesn’t make sense to me.
    ==

So why did he later say he did something wrong? That wasn’t some statement from his attorney using words this guy would never speak — it was his direct words and that admission gave him no advantage at the time.
    You’re right, not much this guy says makes sense. But as I said earlier, guys like this have huge egos and a sense of self entitlement. Over time they first convince themselves they were provoked into doing what they did, then they begin to believe they were entitled to do what they did, and eventually they convince themselves they didn’t do anything wrong at all.

24. Lying and honesty just doesn’t mean as much anymore, to a lot of us. Tyreke Hill isn’t real high on my list of people that matter when they tell the truth. I’m not shocked by anything I hear anymore. Sad but true.

25. dregonspengler says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:59 pm

—-
    It sounds as if you’re not very familiar with the legal process, which is both good for you but bad overall.

In Hill’s case, a very young man accused of a crime was given a choice: Go to court, pay exorbitant lawyer’s fees, which neither he nor his family could afford, or take the “Safe & Easy” route as described by the DA: Admit Guilt, follow the court’s orders and if successful, have his record expunged in 3 years.

Now, as a poor, young adult, who may or may not have committed a crime, which do you choose? Go into debt and possibly lose a case, then spend time in jail (while most certainly missing at least one full year of college football, if not more) OR take the Plea and have it over with in 3 years?

Hill chose the latter and unfortunately for him, it’s followed him ever since. Despite meeting all of the court’s mandated counseling and terms, he’s still labeled as a Domestic Abuser, despite that fact that according to the letter of the law, his record has been expunged.

26. normswifevera says:
    “Why would he plead guilty if he wasn’t”
    Is this a serious question?
    ==

Stop making excuses for this guy.

27. kcflake says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:43 pm
    pl30 says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Nope. I will be thinking TD Kansas City

———-

So because he is a good WR you are willing to give him a pass on his behavior?

28. pl30 says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:14 pm

——————————–

People have a short memory. No one thought of domestic violence last year when he was doing well. Ultimately, our need for a football fix helps us forget about what Hill has done.

29. torgow says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:29 pm
    Thank God the Patriots beat this team.

———————
    I’m glad we won too. But thats a completely different topic from Hill’s domestic matters.

30. If you ignore the he said she said aspect of this and only focus on what we know I think we can conclude that Hill is a bad person. If he were an average player there is zero chance he would be playing, but he is immensely talented, so he is given 2nd and 3rd chances despite his behavior. Video of the act appears to be the only thing that will get an abuser suspended.

31. Sounds like this girl knew how to push his buttons and Ty fell right into it. He should have walked away from the psycho chick and not let his temper prove her right. He stooped down to her level and now he is paying the price for dancing with the she devel!

32. “Then why two years later did he publicly state people “have every right to be mad at me because I did something wrong.” By that time he’d already been given his plea deal and could have gone back to his denials with no consequences.
    Stop making excuses for this guy.”

Deals don’t end when the plea is made. If part of his plea was that he had to make an admission, he couldn’t make a public statement backtracking on it when the terms of his probation were still in effect or he could be in violation of the deal he made.

A year ago, after meeting all the requirements he was held to, the charges and plea were expunged from his record.

33. romeisfallingagain says:
    July 9, 2019 at 4:16 pm

————-

Don’t the facts worry you?

Fact: He pleaded guilty to choking his pregnant girlfriend.
    Fact: He said “You need to be terrified of me too, bitch.”

Those facts tell me he’s a convicted criminal with no remorse.

34. He’s a victim. I don’t see him facing any type of suspension from the league. If so maybe a 2 game. She’s cray, cray,

35. LOL. if you think people are going to reject Tyreek Hill whenever he does play again, think again. this country has an NFL fandom disease and when it kicks in every fall, the only thing people care about is winning, no matter what kind of person is making the winning happen.

36. torgow says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:29 pm
    Thank God the Patriots beat this team.
    ______________

Yeah, the team that drafted and gave a fat contract to a murderer. The Pats fans forget they live in the nicest glass house on Aaron Hernandez way. And no, not putting down the Pats, but just stop being holier than thou.

37. I’m no Chiefs sympathizer, but you might want to release the whole audio tape first she admitted she’s the one who hit the kid. However, Hill shouldn’t have been with her in the first place or have been in the situation to begin with. Although, the hits seem to keep coming for Roger Goodell who has shown incompetent actions or inaction are part of his m.o.

38. The worst part is the poor kid that has two sad pathetic excuses for parents, and to add to that, they are expecting twins…….

39. lifelongwhodat says:
    July 9, 2019 at 5:16 pm
    torgow says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:29 pm
    Thank God the Patriots beat this team.
    ______________

**********************

The Pats cut him BEFORE the news broke about him being arrested. They learned what happened through sources and decided to cut bait right then – which is exactly the opposite of what KC is doing – holding onto Hill in the hopes that this blows over because he can run fast and catch.

40. Is that true? She said she knows he [hill] did nothing wrong and she was responsible? I need to read up on this alleged transcript. I don’t know so I’m not jumping to any conclusions but this whole situation is weird. Something is fishy, idk if it’s hill that’s lying or his ladyfriend but if he’s not responsible, he needs to sue the pants off her and get the kids away from her. If he is responsible, then the reverse needs to happen. One way or the other, these 2 need to get away from each other. That’s the only thing I’m sure of in this situation. Feel awful for the kids.

41. EDIT – and by my comment of “learned what happened through sources” i meant that they heard he was going to be arrested and cut him, not that they learned that he killed people early on and tried to weather the storm.

42. Ok so the new line by the KC fans is that Hill lied in court by admitting that he beat and punched her to avoid jail time?

How disgustingly desperate of you. Hill is a serial domestic violence abuser. That fact that you think that’s just fine as long as he’s on the field for KC in September is quite vile.

43. lifelongwhodat says:
    July 9, 2019 at 5:16 pm
    torgow says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:29 pm
    Thank God the Patriots beat this team.
    ______________

————————
    New England cut Aaron Hernandez almost within an hour of the announcement of his arrest. I’m not sure what more you could have expected from the team given he had no criminal record until that point.

44. Show me the video of Tyreek punching the girl. Where is the backlash for Joe Mixon, Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt? Guilty until proven innocent with this crowd.

45. pl30 says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:14 pm

———————————–

Ever since I’ve know about his first incident I wait for a LB or Safety to just clean his clock and leave him laying on the field while they cut to commercial.

46. I’m on the other side of this situation..I hope Hill DOES play. Everytime he catches the ball the refs dont call defenseless WR and I’ll enjoy he getting rocked after every target.

47. Once again social media/ slash internet justice mob and reporters out to get Hill. This is why we have juries and trials leave you people to enact justice and there will be no justice for anyone. Florio you should be ashamed of your self for continuous attacks against someone who was deemed innocent in the eyes of the law. As for the rest of you find a real life and stop trying to punish people for things they didn’t do.

48. Your obsession with trying to convict this guy in the court of public opinion is shameful. Let’s hear all the facts. Yet, week after week, you fan the flames to get people riled up with an absence of all the facts.

49. Fact: She says he makes the kid hold his arms out then punches him in the stomach.
    Fact: He does not deny that.
    Fact: Child removed from parents custody, suffered a broken arm.
    Fact: Hill plead guilty to assaulting girlfriend.
    Fact: Hill said she needed to be terrified of him too.

That’s all the facts you need. 8 games, AT LEAST.

50. tb12bestqbevah says:
    July 9, 2019 at 7:20 pm
    It’s called gaslighting. A classic tactic used by domestic violence losers.
    ——————-
    That makes no sense at all. A guilty person who didn’t know he was being recorded wouldn’t say he was innocent to the victim. What’s the point? A normal guilty person who gamed the deal would rub it in if they didn’t mean it. “Yeah I beat it. I had to do my sorry act for a few years, but they bought I was sorry. I’m not. The chumps bought it.”

The only way gaslighting would work, if he instigated the “secret” recording to make him sound innocent. But, then, why would she do that? He’d have to pay her to be involved to make himself the victim in all this.

51. At some point, the time will come for PFT to admit that Hill isn’t the ghoul they’ve been relentlessly portraying him as. Question is, will they man up and correct the record or not?

52. lifelongwhodat says:
    July 9, 2019 at 5:16 pm
    torgow says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:29 pm
    Thank God the Patriots beat this team.
    ______________

33 12 Rate This

——————

the packers drafted a serial killer, the bills oj, the panthers carruth, the chiefs belcher.

ne cut hernandez before he was officially even arrested

why would they have paid him if they knew what he was doing? why are you people so dumb?

the ravens backed a killer in ray lewis and abusers like suggs and rice!

the chiefs backed hunt and now hill! wake up!

53. She really likes to secretly record this guy. Seeing the whole transcript, sounds like he’s being gamed by her. Doubt he’s an angel, but it seems like she’s more of a villain than he is. But there are people on this planet who thrive in terrible relationships.

54. Chief’s fans keep bringing up Hernandez, forgetting he was cut as soon as a warrant was issued. Chiefs love drafting women/ child abusers, Ried allows that culture to continue by drafting these guys.

55. SWFLPC.INC says:
    July 9, 2019 at 4:38 pm
    kcflake says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:43 pm
    pl30 says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Nope. I will be thinking TD Kansas City

———-

So because he is a good WR you are willing to give him a pass on his behavior?
    —————————————-

YUP!! Cause if the Chiefs don’t there will be 31 other teams who would be willing to give him a pass and think nothing of it.

56. talented yes, but anyone who harms a child or woman should be banned from the NFL for life
    and spend the rest of said life behind bars and required to pay for his expenses, not the taxpayers.

57. I’m cynical & biased & opinionated. You can tell that I’m a Vikings fan who’s lived through 4 SB losses & 6 NFCCG losses since the last defeat in the Super Bowl. I’m just directly honest.

I was thinking why isn’t this fool in jail for the longest time. But, hearing the call & the especially poignant part: “Did I hit you? Tell me the truth in my eyes right now. Look at me” and she says “We’re not talking about that.”

He didn’t know he was being recorded. He wouldn’t have a reason to make up any lies. He didn’t hit that woman. He physically threw her out of the house for sure, but he didn’t pop her.

Now regarding the son, he denies breaking his arm. He had bruises. He flat out denies it, he doesn’t know he’s being recorded. She’s trying to set him up for something he most likely didn’t do & I wouldn’t hesitate to think it was her who did it trying to set him up.

When he said that he regrets ever knowing her. I completely agree with that. Look at what Everson Griffen’s wife has done to him. She ruined his life. She’s the reason the cops got him last year. Never would’ve happened if she kept her mouth shut. All he did was run away from the house to escape her constant barrage of nagging & put downs.

The fact Hill can’t escape this woman, she’s using that kid as an anchor to hold on to Hill.

The judge needs to separate them from each other. Sadly this lady is going to use that kid as a pawn for the rest of his life till 18 to either get $ from Hill or more $. The best thing Hill can do is tell that boy I will see you on visitation days until you’re 18 then we can begin a relationship.

I believe he punched the boy. I don’t think he broke his arm. The KC police don’t believe it either & either does the NFL.

This lady is setting him up.

He’s a definite POS for punching the child but everything else he’s accused of, She’s lying.

58. before anyone else posts a comment about Hill. Listen to the video and make your own judgment. Please don’t take pieces of the conversation others are writing and speculate. Keep in mind, Hill had no idea he was being recorded. His girlfriend did. She baited him for 11 minutes trying to get him to admit to breaking the boys arm and never once admitted to it.

Now I still think he did something wrong in 2014 but I now question the extent of that because I have read people saying he punched her in the stomach trying to kill his unborn son, put his hands around her neck and choked her. When the police report only said she had bruises and he choked her from putting her in a tight head lock. No one knows the truth based on this, but it sounds like he dragged her outside of his house, and he and she both agreed he never punched her.

59. dejal says:
    July 9, 2019 at 8:05 pm
    tb12bestqbevah says:
    July 9, 2019 at 7:20 pm
    It’s called gaslighting. A classic tactic used by domestic violence losers.
    ——————-

——————————–

Gaslight : manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.

Gaslighting doesn’t have to and usually doesn’t make sense but it is a real thing that manipulative people do control others. If you apply logic to it, then you are totally missing the point.

60. Please listen to the entire audio. He is not the monster that the media is making him out to be. Poor guy got bad advice from a Public Defender in 2014 and plead guilty. Thank You 610 Sports for the full story.

61. I would not assume that Hill did not know (or at least suspect) that he was being recorded.

It’s entirely possible that they have both been trying to record each other for a while and also suspecting each other of the same.

62. vikings27 says:
    July 9, 2019 at 3:21 pm

****************************************
    Winning at all costs that’s why. If he’s off the team, Mahommes will look pedestrian. Hill’s speed threat makes that offense go. Without Hill, it will be a long season.

63. I love Tyreek and just bought me and my 8 year old son new Hill Jersey’s. Cant want to see him play every game this coming season. Go Chiefs!

64. I’m a public defender, and when we have domestic violence clients (male or female), we give our clients advice because you have one of two issues:

1. The accusations are true and the client is committing violence against another person, which will lead to legal issues, custody or other issues with kids, and more more violence down the line.

OR

2. The accusations are not true and your significant other or partner is lying to the police, district attorney, etc. You cannot be in a healthy relationship with a person who is willing to lie to send you to jail or negatively impact your life through your work, legal issues, child custody issues (we see this a lot as retaliation for custody requests), etc.

Either way, you need to end or get out of that relationship. As soon as someone puts their hands on you, it needs to be over. As soon as someone is willing to lie to police or prosecutor’s about you, it needs to be over.

Why would you want to be with someone who is willing to lie and cost you $20+ million every year and ruin your public reputation?

Also, even though he denies this in this recording, when you plead guilty-the judge asks you if you are pleading guilty because you are, in fact, guilty and you must answer “yes.” If there were not sufficient facts to support the guilty plea, it would not be accepted by the court.
    Secondly, why plead to something you didn’t do? Maybe the offer was too good to pass up since he just got probation (Strangulation/Suffocation is a felony in WI) since he was charged with a couple things and a trial would have been too much of a risk to his potential future NFL career. The evidence was likely just Espinal’s testimony, unless there were visible injuries (which would have been likely photographed and documented in the case).

65. I forgot his record was expunged, which was likely another reason why he took the plea offer vs. risking it at trial.

66. primemundo says:

July 11, 2019 at 8:52 am

Should of released all of the audio weeks ago.
    _______________________________________________

The TV station who aired this is taking a serious backlash right now for not airing it all. They have come out and gave their opinion on why they did just the portion they did, but it all sounds like lies to cover their back end.

The only valid comment was to protect Hill from his kids hearing years later that he wished his kids were never born. However, I think his kids will know the truth regardless depending on how much he chooses to be part of their lives going forward. I am sure he won’t be the only NFL player who isn’t part of their kids life but pays for child support.