Melvin Gordon: Hopefully I end up a Charger, but I want to get paid

Getty Images

Melvin Gordon wants to be a Charger for life. The running back also wants to get paid.

Thus, Gordon said Saturday he has no idea what’s going to happen.

“I want to end up with the Chargers. That’s my home,” Gordon said at SportsCon 2019 in Dallas. “I’m not going to sit here and be like, ‘Man, I don’t want to go back to the Chargers, dah, dah, dah.’ Like that’s the team that blessed me with an opportunity. They started my life. They changed my life. Of all 32 teams, that was the team that called me. I can’t forget them for that.

“But it’s an opportunity right now where I know I need to take advantage of it. You know, I want to get paid. That’s just kind of what it is. Hopefully I end up a Charger. That’s the goal. I want to end up with the Chargers.”

Gordon’s agents informed the Chargers that he won’t show up to training camp without a new deal, and Fletcher Smith said Gordon is “prepared to sit as long as he has to.”

“I’m prepared to do what I need to do. That’s just what it’s going to be,” Gordon said.

Gordon, 26, is scheduled to make $5.605 million this year.

Gordon, who became eligible for a new deal after the 2017 season, said he does not know where talks stand.

“My guess is as good as yours right now,” Gordon said. “We’re going to give them some time and see where it heads. We’ve still got some time out before training camp. But hopefully things get figured out.”

Gordon made clear his preference is to stay in Los Angeles. He has not requested a trade, but he’s also willing to leave if that’s what it takes to get paid what he believe he’s worth.

“Yeah, look, hey, I don’t want my fans or my teammates to ever feel like I don’t want to be with them,” Gordon said. “I’ve bled with those guys. We had a lot of downs and now that we’re up. I definitely want to be a part of the team and part of the squad. I love my teammates, and I love our fans. My fans know it. I show them so much love, on any social media platform I’m on. It doesn’t have anything to do with me just wanting to leave because I want to leave. But at the end of the day, it’s a business, so I’ve got to do what’s best for me and my family.”

The two-time Pro Bowler has 5,205 yards from scrimmage and 38 total touchdowns on 1,079 career touches. The Chargers made him the 15th overall choice in 2015.

61 responses to “Melvin Gordon: Hopefully I end up a Charger, but I want to get paid

1. Why didn’t he raise this stink 3 months ago?

Chargers fan thought this season was looking real good on the eve of training camp, and now this. I’d be p*ssed.

2. I say they compromise.
    Instead of 5.605mm, pay him 5.606mm.

Let him sit out.
    He may be underpaid by 1mm, not more.
    If he prefers 0, while still aging then go ahead and sit out.

3. He knows nobody ever makes the players pay the fines.At the worst, he doesn’t have to sweat through training camp. He will be back for week 1, to collect his full salary.

4. Knowing the Chargers.. They will fine him every missed game check, and when he reports after missing 6 weeks or so.. They won’t waive the fines. Then they let him walk in the offseason.

5. Tired of these billionaire owners being greedy and not wanting to pay these players that clearly have outperformed their contract and deserve to get paid #PAYTHEMAN

6. If you want to get paid, you should probably go to work and not hold out. Otherwise, you for sure will not get paid and you may subject yourself to some serious fines.

7. Make not do not draft him on fantasy team,these guys hold out all of camp show up for week 1 and get hurt

8. I get where he’s coming from. But he has a contract. He has leverage to a degree but Rivers is an elite QB and they have proven they can win games without Gordon. I hope he plays for the Chargers this season but if not so be it. The only “contender” I can think of is the Houston Texans that could make sense.

9. ripdipbob says:
    ==

Second, there is no such thing as “outplaying” your contract. Unless, of course, you believe one can “underplay” his contract — it happens all the time — and teams are therefore entitled to take guaranteed signing money back. No? Didn’t think so.

10. The best thing for the players and for the league would be for the players to have the best union in the world. NFL players are a large group of multi-millionaires, but their union is the worst union in American history. Roger Staubach used to make $25,000 a year, and now he’s worth over $600 million. The players need really good investment advice. Not just self-serving advice. A lot of NFL players didn’t grow up with college educated parents who could help them determine what good advice looks like and sounds like. These millionaires should be able to get the best investment advice in the world. It’s a shame when you hear about guys being broke a few years after retiring. The players could be making so much money that they don’t care about jumping from team to team for a few extra dollars, because they’d be set up for life. Melvin Gordon could go somewhere and get the biggest contract in NFL history, but then end up being broke in ten years. We’re not doing these players any favors by helping them pour water into a bucket with a lot of holes in it. The media doesn’t do the players any service either by being afraid to tell it like it is when it comes to criticizing the NFLPA. Everyone’s too busy attacking the commissioner and we all seem to forget about the players’ best interest.

11. It hasn’t worked out for any team that has paid a running back. Too easy to find the production somewhere else. And to ripdipbob, no one DESERVES to make millions running a football!!!

12. He’s not worth it. They can spend the money more wisely than strapping the team cap with a dime a dozen RB that they never should have selected in the 1st place.

13. If he’s asking for top of the market type money the Chargers should just let him sit.

If he’s willing to take the deal Devonta Freeman got, then they should pay him.

14. ripdipbob says:
    July 13, 2019 at 1:55 pm
    **********************************************************************************
    You might not understand how the salary cap works. The owners pay a certain amount of money to the players, and they’re not allowed to exceed the salary cap total. So paying more money to one individual player doesn’t cost the owners one penny more. It costs that players’ teammates money, because someone on the team has to take a pay cut in order for a teammate to get a raise. The “greedy” owners aren’t allowed to just decide to pay a player more money without cutting another players’ salary. They’d be in violation of the rules. The players and their union negotiated the terms of the deal. The most shocking thing to me is how the players union is so bad at doing their job, yet they are able to fly under the radar. If you truly care about the players you’d be demanding new union leadership.

15. Are you serious?? The salary cap is in place to stop a bidding war between teams so the owners don’t over pay!! The NFL has way more “flexibility” when it comes to the cap compared to the NBA. They can get creative with “Bonus” and what not. These owners make billions off the team and the players make millions. Our dumb a$$ makes thousand while the CEO of our companies make millions. Capitalism is what it is. So everyone has a chance to get that bag and get paid. Do it!!!! I bet you blame the players when the NFL strikes in 2 years time SMH

16. “I want to be a Charger”…as long as they pay me more than any other team. The loyalty just comes shining through.

17. Top WRs get 10 to 12 million a year because it’s a PASSING league now….I think he’s true value is around 7.5 million a year but the Sponos will never pay that. Hes going to sit and the Chargers will go RB by committee. Next year he’ll be on another team that will overpay. Bucs? Lions? Bills?

18. vegaskid21 says:
    July 13, 2019 at 2:20 pm
    5 million dollars is not considered “getting paid?” I need a better job
    —–
    $80,000 is a decent salary but if you ask most doctors if they consider that getting paid they would say no after laughing at you. Let’s act like we know what the context of a subject is shall we?

19. I love it when people talk about the billionaire owners, and complain about them not over paying a player. I don’t care whether you’re a mom and pop or a multi-billion dollar corporation, if you can get the same or better production out of another employee for less money, it would not make good business sense to pay more for the same, just because it is demanded by your current employee. If the players don’t like the next CBA, don’t let the reps vote it thru. However, until that time comes, play under the current RULES or go make millions with whatever college degree you earned.

20. 5.6 Million for an average RB is pretty much the going rate. He wants superstar money when A) RBs aren’t superstars in today’s NFL, and B) even if they were, he isn’t one.

This is a huge mistake by him, especially since it’s the Chargers who are one of the cheapest teams in the league.

21. The RB market reflects the reality that you can find production at that position without investing a lot of money or draft capital. I understand a guy playing a position where careers are short and injuries are common trying to get what he can while he can but it rarely pays off for teams to spend big on a RB in today’s NFL.

22. I would love to know what he thinks he’s worth, He’ll be the 11th highest paid running back this year and quite frankly he’s getting paid more than his production warrants. It sounds like he thinks he’s better than what he’s shown.

I guess a 2-4 year extension near his current salary wouldn’t be terrible. But he’s shown nothing to think he should be among the highest paid backs in the league.

23. In the first place, he hasn’t “outplayed” his contract. He can’t stay healthy, and his production has been average at best. You pay a guy for what you think he will do, not what he’s already done.

______________________________________

Wth you talking about? Your analogy makes no sense, a team can’t retroactively take back guaranteed money that the player didn’t deserve, just like a player can’t retroactively get paid more for a previous season they did deserve more for.

But players do underplay their contracts and teams have the ability to cut those players at will saving themselves future losses. A player who outplays a contract doesn’t have the power to simply choose to add money to a contract that is underpaying them.

The system is heavily favoured in the team’s direction. Neither player or team has the ability to make up for previous losses, but the team does have the freedom to do as they please with the future of that players contract, while a player is stuck in said contract for its duration unless they force their way out of it. This is why players demand trades and/or sit out, because it is their only leverage tool in an otherwise one sided negotiation

24. Every single big money RB deal the last few years have gone bad.
    Gurley – hurt
    D Johnson – hurt and unproductive for bad team
    Freeman – hurt
    McCoy – had 2 good years then fell off a cliff
    McKinnon – hurt
    Miller – mediocre at best
    Bell – ???

When the best case scenario for paying RB big bucks is Lamar Miller you know you have a problem.

25. If the Chargers were 30 million dollars under the cap you could make the case that the owner is cheap. However reality is that the Chargers are capped out and have to release players to get back under the cap.

The owner is not being cheap, he just disagrees with Gordon’s camp on how best to construct the roster with the cap space he has.

26. For the dumb comments about ” greedy” owners..its not Owner Greed. Its salary cap. Wasting millions on one RB when BOTH of his backups played well isn’t smart. They won w/o him.

27. He’s a good rotational back. Not elite. Good man. Good team member. Spanos won’t pay him. Spanos hasn’t given Philip Rivers a contract and is delaying do so.

28. Since Washington has a backfield comprised of fragile fools, Melvin should wait a while – if there is a team that will overpay for some other team’s garbage, it is Washington.

29. What a surprise! Another player who only cares only about the money.

Gordon has had a problem staying healthy. You need a RB who preforms at a high level throughout the season. In today’s NFL, passing has become the name of the game. You need a RB who is productive when he gets the chance to show his wares. That RB doesn’t have to be a star, just productive. Unless you the Cowboys, who feature the run. The Cowboys run to set up the pass. Most teams now feature the pass, and pass to set up the run. It’s hard to pay any player who isn’t featured in a teams offense.

30. Don’t know why people care, Not our lives. Not like he asking for our tax dollars. Players have a short shelf life, get paid while you are healthy and can.

31. The only place you’re going to “end up” with that approach, Melvin, is on your couch for the 2019-2020 season.

32. It’s time to make NFL contracts equally binding on both parties, fair is fair.

If a team can “cut” a player, then a player should be able to “cut” a team.

If teams wish to hold players to their contracts, then they have to be willing to be held to theirs.

Hopefully the players will stick together In the next contract negotiations.

33. He should just play out the last year of his contract, show he’s worth the money, collect his 5.6 million and prepare for a big payday if he delivers.

34. Get better!!!1 stay healthy!

Owners are owners Players are employees!!!!!!!! period. Players should be paid what they are worth to the team not what they or the media think they should bed paid. this next contract should be bigger than the last regardless of ability/production is media player NFL hype

35. saxmachine69 says:
    wth you talking about? Your analogy makes no sense, a team can’t retroactively take back guaranteed money that the player didn’t deserve, just like a player can’t retroactively get paid more for a previous season they did deserve more for.
    ==

You missed my very simple point, which doesn’t surprise me.
    I wasn’t talking about giving back money for past seasons. I’m talking about guys that have under-performed and are still getting paid.
    When a player is a free agent he is free to demand as much money as he wants. Whether a team pays it or not is another question.
    But this guy is still under contract. If a player doesn’t have to give back money for under-performing (and he doesn’t), then a team doesn’t owe a player any more money before his deal expires just because he thinks he deserves it (and Melvin Gordon’s injuries, missed games and mediocre production say he does not).
    THAT was the point, that some fans are hypocrites.

36. damcmp says:
    July 13, 2019 at 4:49 pm
    Get better!!!1 stay healthy!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Owners own the TEAM, not the players. Employees are not slaves, they should be able to work for whatever employer they wish, just like the rest of us.

37. floirosoldout says:
    July 13, 2019 at 1:33 pm
    Why didn’t he raise this stink 3 months ago?
    _____________________

because they would have drafted his replacement!

38. dregonspengler says:
    July 13, 2019 at 5:33 pm
    saxmachine69 says:
    ==

You missed my very simple point, which doesn’t surprise me.
    THAT was the point, that some fans are hypocrites.

Talk about missing the point, you really whiffed on that one.

“Under-performing” players in the NFL can be cut, despite the fact that they have a contract for future employment, therefor “over-performing” players should be able to “cut” their teams despite the fact that they too have a contract for future employment..

It must take an awful lot of hutzpah for you to talk about hypocritical fans.

39. I think it is hilarious how fans always side with billionaire owners, but insist players getting paid so much less are greedy. Not to mention that out of any position in sports, running backs truly sacrifice their health. How would you feel if other players that are equally as good as you or worse are getting paid significantly more. Not his fault that Chargers don’t want to take care of their superstars. Good for Gordon I hope he sits out if he doesn’t get paid.

40. How can someone not be happy with over $5 million dollars a year? I could retire tomorrow on that kind of $.

41. I’d give him a raise to somewhere in the 7-8 mill a year range. He’s an elite RB. Over the past 3 years, there’s been 1 guy that has scored more TDs…(Gurley) among non-QBs. Gordon was also rated the top RB by PFF against stacked defenses. He’s a game-changing talent.

42. ripdipbob says:
    July 13, 2019 at 2:30 pm

==

This is blatantly inaccurate and fails on 3 points. 1) The salary cap isnt about making sure owners pay less, it is actually about creating parity in the league that sorely needs some. Crappy league when you can pick, year after year 80% of the playoff teams. 2) The NFL is a business, and like every other business has to have some rules on spending. Otherwise teams would not be profitable. This is Business 101. In fact it might be high school business. 3) The bidding war comment is right, until you talk about the owners. That brings us back to point #2. Do you seriously want an NBA like superteam in the NFL? I do not.

43. Unlike Bell who wouldn’t sign his franchise tender, Melvin Gordon is still under a contract he SIGNED. He has 2 choices…1) Play it out. 2) Sit at home and his value deteriorates as his backup performs at a equally productive level.

Its simple. This isnt the NBA, and we do not want the NBA type system. Those who advocate that nonsense, are best served sticking to basketball and the musical chairs between players and owners..I’m sorry Governors.

44. fobsessed20 says:
    July 13, 2019 at 6:12 pm

————————————————

I don’t care if Gordon wants to get paid or not. I just can’t stand when they say they want to stay with their team out of loyalty, but they have to make as much money as they can. They should just say they want to play for whoever will pay them the most and stop acting like they have any loyalty to their team, because everyone knows they don’t. It just makes them look dishonest and greedy, instead of just greedy.

45. danielsong39 says:
    July 13, 2019 at 3:31 pm

Every single big money RB deal the last few years have gone bad.
    Gurley – hurt
    D Johnson – hurt and unproductive for bad team
    Freeman – hurt
    McCoy – had 2 good years then fell off a cliff
    McKinnon – hurt
    Miller – mediocre at best
    Bell – ???

——————————

You can go further back and add Chris Johnson of the Titans, who was once called “CJ2K” – Jamaal Charles of the Chiefs – and DeMarco Murray of the Cowboys.

I get the urgency of RBs trying to collect “now” because their durability record isn’t good, e.g., there are very few Frank Gore-types around – but Gordon – who is definitely an all-purpose back for the Chargers – will find “market value” tough if he sits out.

Philip Rivers is arguably the team’s most critical player. Rivers is also in the last year of his contract. Yet no one believes he’ll sit out to get a deal. His attitude after playing hardball before his 2004 rookie season sitting behind Drew Brees – has since turned purist – and the result is whatever I might say that’s bad about the Chargers – they always find a way make Rivers happy, even if it happens at the last minute. Major league team player.

Yes, all it takes is “one team” to give Gordon what he wants, but the Chargers went 12-4 last season, barely missed being the #1 seed in the AFC and was 4-0 in games Gordon missed. He was not a factor in the team’s two playoff games at Baltimore (40 yards on 17 carries) and at New England (15 yards on 9 carries).

A dynamic player, no question, but the team’s offensive scheme doesn’t rely on a single player – except for Philip Rivers, who’s a field general directing traffic. Without Rivers, the Chargers can’t win. Without Gordon, the Chargers are less lethal – but they’ve already proven they can win. If he had put up better numbers in the playoffs, I might be persuaded, but he’s not durable.

46. either be the very best at your position, or reduce the number of players on a team to increase the amount each gets. otherwise, you signed a contract and should honor it. and if you feel you deserve more then you should have made provisions in said contract to capitalize off of that.

47. The NFL is run like a kids lemonade stand…honest to gosh anyone could do better…I think some economists need to have them restructure these contracts based on output not potential output…put part of their salary at risk and make them perform

48. You know, if I was a linebacker, trying really hard to make the team and a decent living who was cut to save some cap space for some diva QB/RB/WR pulling this crap of holding out, wanting a humongous raise, I would beg a team in their conference for a roster spot, just to have the opportunity to de-cleat that diva twice a year. This me me me me greedy, selfish attitude is beyond ridiculous.