Baker Mayfield says Odell Beckham will get to see real fans in Cleveland

Getty Images

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield says there’s no truth to any talk that teammate Odell Beckham would have preferred staying in New York to getting traded to Cleveland.

Mayfield told ESPN that Beckham will get to see what it’s like playing in front of real fans when he joins the Browns — implying that the fans in New York are something other than real fans.

“He’s here to work, and he wants to be surrounded by people who love him and support him and allow him to be himself,” he says. “He’s here to play in front of fans who actually care, who will actually show up to every game and pack the stadium and love him for who he is.”

The Dawg Pound was once considered one of the NFL’s best fan bases, but years of futility have beaten the enthusiasm out of a lot of fans in Cleveland. Mayfield and Beckham are part of a team that’s bringing that enthusiasm back. And it’s a safe bet that Browns games will be a better atmosphere than Giants games this season.

104 responses to “Baker Mayfield says Odell Beckham will get to see real fans in Cleveland

1. Baker is a very talented young player and what he says about Hue Jackson and now OBj are true but…some things are better left out of the media. No need to give other teams bulletin board material.

2. Less is more young buck…especially when it comes to talking outside of the locker room.

3. Yeah, it’s all fun and games until the divas start diva-ing.

Wait’ll Jarvis Landry inches ahead of OBJ in targets and the meltdowns start. Browns fans are gonna love that.

4. Everytime Baker opens up his mouth, his level of maturity shows. There are certain things we as fans can say but players, coaches, owners, executives, media, etc. should be smart enough not to say…..

5. Can’t wait to hear what he says about those fans when the Browns are 3-7 and they’re ripping him to bits on social media.

6. Browns fans show up because they live in Cleveland. Giants fans live in and around NYC. When comparing the list of “things to do in Cleveland” vs. “things to do in New York”, you begin to understand why the “Dog Pound” has such stellar attendance on Sundays.

7. Thank you, Baker for that giant hug from the fans in Cleveland, that we are all feeling at this moment. Please go away; at least until the season starts!

8. Baker appears to be of the opinion that the Browns won the Super Bowl. A bunch of teams are gonna serve it up to him big time this year.

You do play in the AFC North, my friend. The division of head hunting. Good Luck!

9. “In 2018 the NY Giants averaged 76,940 fans per game (4th in the league). Cleveland averaged 65,765 per game (19th in the league).”

New York City Poplation-8.6 million

Cleveland Population-385,000

New York fans are known to be very critical and difficult to please. Cleveland is just happy to have a team that can win more than 4 games.

10. Mayfield may turn out to be a very good, maybe even great QB. However, his body of work, so far, in the NFL is very limited. In other words, there have been a lot of one hit wonders. I guess it’s today’s world, time will tell if he can back it up.

11. Que all the whining fans that think Baker talks to much. If the dude is asked the question, he’s going to give whatever answer he feel. I’m glad they all have confidence in Cleveland now, it’s refreshing to see.

12. As much as this guys agent lets him talk (A LOT) hope he produces…I’m starting to feel the classic 4-0 preseason followed up by the 4-12 regular season

13. Classic look at me comment. He loves the attention. There may not be enough oxygen in Ohio for this guy and OBJ. Growing up in Texas and playing football in Oklahoma and Ohio hardly makes him qualified to comment on Giants fans, but that’s not the point.

14. Righ or not, Baker needs to mature a bit. Maybe hire, or listen to, some PR people. Ripping on another team’s fans is not smart or productive. Keep that stuff in-house. It’s going to give a lot of ammo to the media too if things don’t go right this season. OBJ, as talented as he is, is a ticking time bomb. If they start out 2-4, 2-5, what have you, good luck!

15. Browns : Stadium 97% filled each week

Giants : Stadium filled 93% each week

Get your facts straight trolls. Just bc you have the larger stadium and city doesn’t mean you have better attendance numbers.

16. No fan likes a TEAM player that “cowers” on an on side kickoff attempt!than said don’t question my heart? I ? Heart & HEAD
    How he do in playoff game? 2 dropped TDs
    As a receiver many times gave himself up rather than getting Xtra yards and get hit
    Injury concerns & too much money for a great WR. giants better off with the trade results= peppers Lawrence and Xman!
    The DEFENCE was the Giants problem hopefully they can help

17. Teams that have gone the route of adding a bunch of big time FAs hasn’t gone well. Until the Rams did last year, can a new coach and a 2nd year QB hold it together? It’s an interesting experiment that will unfold on the field of the best pro sport on the planet.

18. It’s going to be so funny in a few years when he’s switching teams and there are sound bites of him ridiculing every other team in the league. Which will lead to the inevitable revisionist statements about how much he hated Cleveland.

19. Apparently someone told him that if he wants to expand his “brand” he needs to run his mouth as much as possible.

20. Baker says he will see what it’s like to play in front of fans that will love him and let him be himself. Guess it’s finally happened. The snowflake generation has made it to the NFL…

21. “therealraider says:
    July 18, 2019 at 10:09 am

What he left out is that Cleveland has capacity of 67,895 and Giants have capacity of 82,500. So, Cleveland filled 96.86% and NY 93.26%.

22. Everytime a QB goes to Cleveland and does allllright or average, I swear people anoint him the next great QB – did it with Kessler and Anderson too… Until these guys learn to put one foot in front of the other, they/ baker, should focus on improving their game play, bc they/baker included, aren’t that good.

23. I love when people compare this guy to Patrick Mahomes or even try to claim he will actually be a better QB than him.

The only thing Baker does and ever will do better than Pat is run his mouth.

24. Baker talks too much, obviously….but why go off on Giants FANS at all? Giants have been selling out their games for most of, if not all of my life, and Im 49. When I was about 18 there was a 30 year waiting list to get season tickets. We loved Odell when he was here btw. The Giants and their fans werent the ones who forced the whole Odell situation to come to a head.

25. Ok Baker, wait until OBJ goes on ESPN with little wayne and starts criticizing you and your team. We’ll see how much you have his back. If you couldn’t handle Hue Jackson not starting you week 1 last year, you’re ego will never handle any tiny criticism from OBJ. We’ll also see how much you have his back when he starts dropping TDs and big first downs in big games.

26. I have never known Giants fans to be fair weather fans. Or to treat players badly. We are devoted to our team, even when maybe that devotion is unearned. Same as in most other cities. Mayfield’s comment is silly, and immature, and I suspect that if and when the Browns come to NJ next – no guarantee it happens in 2020 – OBJ will get a rousing cheer and Mayfield will be booed very loudly.

27. You people who berate Baker, do not know Baker! He not only will be a great QB in the NFL, he will be one of the best! I will take a QB who talks a lot and wins over the QB who shuts up and loses. Baker is unrivalled when it comes to football IQ, leadership, trustworthiness, guts, talent, and the rarity of the “IT FACTOR.” I know you folks want a 6’4″ QB who is the biggest target on the field who cannot escape the rush, cannot see the field, and cannot read a defense. I have studied this kid for years and I am from Oklahoma, and this kid is the real deal. Trash talk him to your own personal or team’s peril.

28. Coming from someone who can’t comprehend the difference between your coach joining a divisional opponent after being fired vs leaving on own terms, I wouldn’t read into this much Giant fans.

29. sdelmonte says:

July 18, 2019 at 12:10 pm

_____________________

They do play @NYG in 2020. The home/ away schedule for all teams is known years in advance, except for two opponents.

30. mapedog1 says:
    July 18, 2019 at 11:38 am
    “therealraider says:
    July 18, 2019 at 10:09 am

31. I’m not a Giants fan…..Giants fans are about as loyal as any other fan base out there.

Mayfield is a clown.

32. the Fall of Baker Mayfield…will be sweet.. I am not a “hater”.. I was rooting for the Browns last year to win some games… the guy just talks and talks… having won NOTHING. I love when people say oh if he was starting the whole year they would have made the playoffs.. In reality if their kicker would have made the kicks he was supposed to Hue Jackson would still have a job and Tyrod Taylor would have been their starting QB for most if not all of last year.

33. I’m already predicting this will be the most annoying and hated team before the preseason is over. Baker doesn’t know how to shut up about anything, OBJ is just OBJ the diva is bound to come out eventually, then you have Kareem Hunt lurking in the back searching for a new woman to punch or kick.

34. Man, I hear a lot of “Get of my lawn” guys here. I’m not a Browns fan, Steelers, but it’s nice to see something exciting happening for the Browns. Face it this younger generation is more media conscious and out spoken. Just the way it is, just a mirror of society today. If it helps to get the fans excited about their team, for a change, them more power to him. This is after all just entertainment, not life and death! By the way I am not some young person backing up my generation, but a 66 year old life long NFL fan, and not a liberal either! Think about it.

35. In time he’ll learn that the following interview rule applies particularly to public figures such as himself: if you don’t have anything nice to say about someone, you don’t say anything at all.

36. It sure isn’t taking long for the long-suffering fans to become insufferable. It usually happens after their team wins their first Super Bowl. Several years back I was at a game where, after their team was up late, some drunken Seahawks fans started trying to taunt the home fans by screaming “all we do is win championships, baby!” and then trying to fight the guys in front of them. Uh, guys? Settle down. Your team won one. Singular. After about 40 years in the league.

That fanbase has gotten very full of themselves but Browns fans appear ready to fight for the crown. They’re not even waiting to win ANYTHING first.

* I have no reason to otherwise like/dislike either team.

37. I am a Giants fan and I have no issue with what Baker is saying. He is just supporting the fans that support them. Hope Odell does well out there. Can’t wait for football to start so we can stop giving an innocent comment legs.

38. “You know you’re a team to watch when the rest of the football world takes notice. Let this long suffering fan base have a little bit of fun”

Yup, the rest of the football world is “noticing” Mayfield put his foot in his mouth on an almost daily basis. And we’re laughing at that, not at the fans. Have all the fun you want, you deserve it.

39. bambam41 says:
    July 18, 2019 at 12:21 pm
    —————————————————–

Lighten up Francis. Take his poster off of your ceiling.

40. mapedog1 says:
    July 18, 2019 at 11:38 am
    “therealraider says:
    July 18, 2019 at 10:09 am
    ———–
    ———-
    He also left out the populations of NYC compared to CLE. Finding 70K fans out of several millions is easier to find out of 700K people.

41. “Baker is unrivalled when it comes to football IQ, leadership, trustworthiness, guts, talent, and the rarity of the “IT FACTOR.”

Unrivaled? Now that’s freaking hilarious. What are you his 8 year old nephew or something?

I tell you what. If Mayfield ever leads the Browns to a single Super Bowl I’ll be surprised. And if he does and they get down big let’s see how he responds. Until he’s down 28-3 in the big game and leads his team to victory, no, he’s not “unrivaled”, he’s not proven he’s even an elite QB yet.

42. buffalosunshine says:
    July 18, 2019 at 1:43 pm
    ——-
    They all talk, Baker, OBJ and the Browns just have the spotlight this year and the media is slow with actual stories. If you held a 5 minute interview about a competitor, the media would scrutinize every word looking for a headline. Then readers come on here and get all bent out of shape about these meaningless comments. PFT is the winner here because we are all still here looking at football crap during baseball season.

43. Lots of spotlight crybabies mad their team isnt the hot topic. It’s not the Browns fault every NFL team has done ZIPPO in the offseason to build hype. NFL teams exist to make money. Not only does Baker create a national media spotlight for the Browns he’s a positive active member in the community and helped inspire a fan base to get egotistical after decades of being dogged by boisterous ignorant fan bases.

Baker is owning your team. He hasnt put his foot in his mouth – he is simply opening yours so Browns fans can stick their feet in for a pedicure.

44. This is all about Baker trying to coddle Odell.

Baker understands Odell’s ego and is trying to get ahead things.

Anyone with a brain in their head knows GIANTS fans are great fans (I am one).

Most GIANTS fans loved Odell (Me Included).

Most GIANTS fans understand Odell still needs to grow up a little bit (Me Included).

This is all about Baker running interference for Odell and making him feel wanted.

Baker knows what he is doing. He is as good of a Psychiatrist as he is a QB.

45. Alright,I’m going with an old school cliche my Uncle and every Coach I had in my life taught me, “Talk is cheap , let your actions speak.” The more I read these guys quotes on the Browns?, they’ve bought the hype. It reminds me of that Eagles DREAM TEAM ” back in the mid 00’s. How the proud fell that year.

46. Mayfield now holds the record for most TD’s by a rookie. Take that in for a second…… I’m pretty happy about the whole situation!

47. enemergut says:
    July 18, 2019 at 4:21 pm

___________________________________________________________
    Bwahahahaha. Look I have some friends in Cleveland. I’m glad that they finally have some glimmer of hope. But comments like this are just plain silly.

48. Most touchdowns by a rookie and didn’t play a full season. Say what you want Baker! You’ve already earned that right. Make the haters pay. The sleeping giant Cleveland Browns are waking up and the haters can’t stand it. Cleveland loves you and that’s all that matters. You didn’t get drafted by 32 teams, you got drafted by one team. This is the cycle, everyone roots for the underdog until they win, then they hate you.

49. “his is the cycle, everyone roots for the underdog until they win, then they hate you.”

Wait what? 7-8-1 is winning?

You Cleveland guys are really cracking me up today. A musician I used to work with had a lyric in one of his songs that’s perfect for you guys – “I’ve been down so long, it seems like up to me”

Lolz

50. carloswlassiter says:
    July 18, 2019 at 9:41 am
    Giants fans (what’s left of them) are sooooo sensitive and still clinging to success 8 years ago.

There are as many Giants fans as ever. We didn’t go anywhere. So the last Super Bowl Win, 1 of 4, was 8 years ago. Also last playoff win. Last winning season and playoff appearance? 2016, not so long ago. The Browns? Last appearance was 2002 and last win was 1994. Last winning season was 2007. So maybe, just maybe, they and their fans could show a bit of humility. Have a winning season. Make the playoffs. Win a playoff game. Win a championship. Win several. Earn the right to throw that shade. Otherwise you are just running your mouth with nothing to back it up.

51. Cleveland fans are crazy. I remember they threw a shame parade for their 0-16 squad and people were saying nobody will show up because of the freezing temperatures, and not only did people show up some of them showed up in Speedos just to prove s point. That was hilarious!

52. Before he burst onto the scene and was given more visibility and media attention, I could never understand why some people knocked him and genuinely disliked him/ his attitude… now, I completely understand. I dislike him more and more each time I hear him speak… immature garbage, probably flames out like RG3

53. You all really dont know Baker. He thrives on this. Keep talking trash. He will beat you in the end. He says stuff to get people to be negative. It drives him. And I’m sorry, does he talk more than any other young superstar? No, actually much less, you all just want to hate. He is just honest and answers what he is asked from the media.

54. baldbuc says:

July 18, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Cleveland Anything < New York Anything

Really? Last title in New York, big market? Long before small town Cleveland winning the NBA Championship. You couldn't even get an NBA star in free agency. You lost to Brooklyn. And dont say that's New York too. We all knew what you meant.

55. Kid win something then talk
    As a season ticket holder I see 4 super bowl trophies every time I attend a game
    Our fans a loyal and smart most pay more for tickets then the average weekly paycheck at the mistake on the lake
    Can not wait for the season to start and prove your body can not back up your mouth
    Will be fun to see you and Odell in the huddle when he thinks he is open and do not get him the ball

56. Not a Browns fan, but I hope they do great, that fan base deserves it. That said, the hype around them is already a bit much. If they lose games right out of the gate, it coukd backfire badly.

57. OK. Talk is cheap. Maybe Baker should take a leaf from the book of Brady. Silence is golden, fella.

58. “YET!!!!! In 2017, when the Browns (0-16) and Giants (3-13) were both terrible, the Browns averaged 63,882 fans per game (87.3 percent of capacity) while the Giants averaged 77,179 fans per game (93.6 percent of capacity). Front run much.”

YET!!! In 2016, the Giants were 11-5. I’m sure that helped ease the pain. Meanwhile, the Browns were coming off 1-15 in 2016, and the front office was trying to lose. 1-31 worth of intentional futility kind of wears on ya. I’m surprised that 63,882 showed up!

But on topic, Baker can talk all he wants. They all can, it’s more enjoyable. I much prefer brazen honesty over short cliche answers. How boring is that?

59. Man what a nuisance in the locker room. He just can’t keep his mouth shut for once. He is going to cause a lot of issues in the locker room.

60. I like Mayfield as a player. I think he’s going to be one of the best QB’s that the Browns franchise has ever had aside from Otto Graham. However, he needs to keep his mouth shut until he wins something. A wildcard berth, division title, playoff game, conference championship, passing title (of some kind), girl scout cookie sellathon, something, anything before he starts running his mouth. He just insulted every other NFL teams’ fans without realizing it. Once he wins he can whine & opine. Until then…