Jakobi Meyers taking advantage of opportunities with Patriots

Getty Images

Tom Brady has long looked to Julian Edelman as a reliable target for his passes, but the wideout is out with a broken thumb for the time being and that’s led to chances for other receivers to catch the quarterback’s eye.

Undrafted rookie Jakobi Meyers has been catching it more often than others. Meyers has made frequent appearances in dispatches from Patriots training camp and that continued in Monday’s joint practice with the Lions. After the session, Brady said that those reps were good for seeing “who’s really consistent, dependable” and able to be counted on in the offense.

“He’s done a great job and he’s taken advantage of his opportunities,” Brady said. “I think that’s really what we try to stress to anybody. It really doesn’t matter — the football doesn’t care how old you are, whether you were drafted or not. The football doesn’t care how much experience you have. It just knows that when I let that ball go, it’s got to be in the hands of the guy who it’s intended for. If that happens to be him, it’s him. If it’s Julian, it’s Julian. Whoever it is, it doesn’t matter in football.”

Meyers made an earlier switch to wideout than Edelman, but he arrived at N.C. State as a quarterback. That may be helping him figure out where he needs to be to get the ball and continue to strengthen his bid for a roster spot.

18 responses to “Jakobi Meyers taking advantage of opportunities with Patriots

1. Meyers will make the 53. It is always a competition in Foxborough, regardless of your draft position. Every year, an UDFA not only makes the team, but carves out a role.

2. I live in NC, Wolfpack fan, and was hoping he would land with the Patriots. He basically caught everything thrown his way. He will make the team barring unseen circumstances.

3. The Great Troy Brown would have been undrafted in today’s NFL. He was drafted by the Patriots in the 8th round back in 1993. He’s in the Patriots HOF and the College Football HOF. He played 15 years for the Pats and earned 3 SB rings.

4. Tom Brady crouched down recording a message.

Help me Jakobi Wan Kenobi you’er my only hope.

5. I think it was FactsChecker in here the other day who took the media cheese about Brady not having anyone looking good in camp. lol

He’s one of them.

6. “Troy Brown would have been undrafted in today’s NFL.”

And one of only a handful of true 3 way players in the modern game. I think it was the year after Bledsoe was traded to Buffalo that the Pats secondary got decimated by injuries. Troy played receiver, corner and returned kicks that year. Had 3 INTs as a corner including one from Bledsoe.

7. tylawspick6 says:
    August 6, 2019 at 9:06 am
    —-
    Very astute. It’s true. But Meyers had just recently gotten the opportunity to run with the ones. It’s not even been a week yet. Lets hold off on putting him into canton.

Lets hope it works out.But again very astute of you. Edelman, Thomas and perhaps Gordon would really go a long way in comforting my concerns.

8. factschecker says:
    August 6, 2019 at 9:18 am
    tylawspick6 says:
    August 6, 2019 at 9:06 am
    —-

0 0 Rate This

————————–

It’s not about being astute. As much as you just said “don’t put it him Canton”, you knee jerked a media troll job the other day because Harry was reported to drop some balls in one session. My reaction was “that’s what camp is for”….Yours was “Brady has no weapons beyond Edelman”…

When Halloween hits, let’s re-visit this. My money is on a 2003/2004 style offense and defense.

9. harrisonhits2 says:
    August 6, 2019 at 9:17 am
    “Troy Brown would have been undrafted in today’s NFL.”

0 0 Rate This

—————————–

Wrong year. Brown played nickel in 2004 when Law broke his foot and they moved Samuel to the left side and had Randall Gay on the other side.

2002 was when they got OLD quick and didn’t have enough youth infusion from the 2001 street signing approach and cost cutting BB needed to do with bad management by Carroll and Grier leading into 2000.

10. Brown played CB in 2006.

PS: You are making too many assumptions about me. You don’t know me. You don’t know how much time I spend covering the Pats. And if by “one of them” you mean a Patriots fan? Yes I am “one of them.”

11. tedmurph says:
    August 6, 2019 at 9:40 am
    What happened to BBerrios all knowing ty.

0 0 Rate This

———————–

He got hurt last year and was red-shirted. He hasn’t even played in a preseason game yet. No idea why you would not know this.

12. Berrios is invisible in practice and can’t get separation. Will not make the team, wven though some we’re calling him a beast. I said watch out for Meyers 2 months ago

13. It’s best to admit up front that we have no clue what’s really going on inside belichick’s team. He stuns everyone periodically, gets all the know nothing media/fans braying like jackasses, and then what do you know? – he made the team better – again.

14. eldoradogeorge says:
    August 6, 2019 at 7:52 am
    I hope they’ve nicknamed him “The Law Firm”

37 1 Rate This
    —-

Yep he would be a hit if he played in with the chargers or rams. Imagine the endorsement deals from that L.A. ambulance chaser law firm.

15. As an NC State fan, one thing I can say about Jakobi is that he will catch the ball.He’s great over the middle in traffic. He’s smart & understands defenses, having been a 4* QB. I am not a Pats fan, but I will be watching Jakobi.