Goodell: We are all rooting for Josh Gordon to succeed

Getty Images

The NFL has formally announced Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon‘s conditional reinstatement from suspension.

Gordon was suspended indefinitely last December and the league’s announcement says he will be allowed to rejoin the Patriots for meetings and conditioning work on Sunday. It goes on to say that he can take part in other activities, including practice, “subject to appropriate progress on clinical care and other arrangements.”

Gordon will also be allowed to attend, but not play, in the Patriots’ preseason game against the Panthers on August 22.

“We are all rooting for Josh to succeed, both personally and professionally,” Goodell said in a statement. “Everyone shares in that hope and will continue to support him to every extent possible. But as Josh acknowledged, ultimately his success is up to him.”

Gordon has struggled to make the most of other opportunities to return to the NFL. The Patriots believe they can help him avoid further issues and we’ll begin to find out once Gordon reports to work this weekend.

53 responses to “Goodell: We are all rooting for Josh Gordon to succeed

1. Well that about does it. No way he was reinstated if it was marijuana again. My guess is some substance that they couldn’t identify from some supplement. Otherwise no way they would do this.

2. As a fan, for me nothing this guy has ever done is half as bad a many who are being permitted to play. Yea I agree that he still is responsible, etc if he violates the weed rule. But really, WHY is there even a weed rule? It not only does nothing to give any performance edge–it actually can help them get through the pain, stress etc, that causes so many others to be taking much more debilitating drugs.

And, the NFL game is a better product WITH Josh Gorden playing.

3. So will Goodell be rooting for other players in the same boat
    such as the Cowboys Randy Gregory?

4. The falling quote is from Josh Gordon, in an article by Scooby Axson that appeared in Sports Illustrated on 10/10/17.

“I’ve used alcohol on many, many occasions, Xanax on many occasions, cocaine several occasions, marijuana most of my life, codeine, cough syrup, methazine is very prevalent where I’m from,” Gordon says. “It’s what I grew up using.”

Draw your own conclusions…

5. vonkaiser2001 says: The patriots didn’t help him avoid his LATEST suspension…just sayin
    —————-
    You’re assuming the violation dates to after he was traded on Sept 17th. Yet on the 10th when he turned up late he was reportedly “not himself” (according to The Plain Dealer newspaper) and presumed high and this was the last straw for the Browns – the suspension announced in Dec probably relates to that violation coming whenever he was next tested (probably at Pats).

6. The whole pot thing is just one of a plethora of things the NFL is anal about. Maybe if more NFL players smoked weed, less of them would be beating their women.

7. This is good news. FYI I know people who take medicinal Marijuana. It gives them quality of life back. The ‘Reefer Madness’ generation (those raised on “education” films showing pots smokers as meth addicts on PCP) need to get over the obsession. Once they pass on this won’t be an issue.

8. I don’t get the GOOD LUCK….Josh..you have been given dozens of chances…grow the heck up. And before anyone says I’m mean…myself and others have battled through their own addictions. Coddling people NEVER helps…….and yes,get off my lawn.

9. Did Aldon Smith ever get another hearing? just never heard case or reinstated. But Josh Gordon..over and over and over again….

10. Everybody who thinks its were is wrong . It’s a whole bunch of drugs, he said it himself. Xanax ,alcohol whatever other pills he could get. The dude has done nothing but let his teammates down year after year. He isn’t a good guy or teammate. I’m done feeling sorry for him. I rooted for him time after time and he crapped out on us. He missed his prime anyway and isn’t going to last the season, the dude is way slower and just not 2012 josh gordon anyway

11. Reality check for Patriots fans. This is not just “marijuana.” He acknowledged that in a Sports Illustrated article, dated 10/10/17.

12. Best of luck to Josh.
    Brady must be so happy to have him back on the field, and happy to just have his friend back.
    They will make a great combo together. Gordon is in Awsome shape too.

13. I mean, marijuana is legal in multiple states. There are dozens of other drugs he could have gotten caught with taking. It’s the domestic violence abusers and drunk drivers that deserve lifetime bans.

14. Most everyone believes and supports second chances, but this is becoming a mockery. The NFL commissioner should be ashamed and embarassed. As a fan, I am embarrassed.

15. rraider says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:35 pm
    ————————————————

Nine arrests…assault weapons…domestic violence…hit and run
    Yeah, totally the same thing, smdh

16. Josh Gordon began robbing classmates in middle school. He moved up to B and E and grand theft auto in high school. He has both driven and consistently taken the field under the influence in high school, college, and the pros putting everyone around him in danger.

Pretending that Josh Gordon just likes to smoke a little weed and it doesn’t affect anybody else completely ignores his 15+ year documented track record of not caring about anyone other than Josh Gordon.

He has been a bad person for most of his life. I guess all you can do is hope for him to turn things around.

17. If he is what the Pats want to represent their franchise and don their colors, I question their values and their judgment; but that is the Patriots prerogative.

——-

You must have a list of 32 teams that do not meet your moral standards.

18. davedsone says:
    August 16, 2019 at 6:53 pm

—————————————-

Excellent, this year’s winner of the Nobel Prize in Medicine and Physiology has weighed in and we’re all better for the edification.

19. I don’t support him. He should have been banned from the sport years ago.

20. Gordon and Harry are going to be nightmares for Pats opponents. This could be the Pats best team ever. Think about that terripet,sans Luck.

21. The Patriots went from having no Big Receivers and losing an all world tight end to having 2 excellent, big rookies Coming in with Meyers and harry and now Gordon coming back. Add in a top 5 defense and spells trouble again for the rest of the league. I appreciate Goodell doing the right thing for this guy. Looks like Josh is finally growing up a little.

22. wvrocks says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:47 pm

Pull for him as a human being. If he is what the Pats want to represent their franchise and don their colors, I question their values and their judgment; but that is the Patriots prerogative.—————————–
    Now I am not saying Gordon is a saint. But sometimes your environment has a lot to do with how you turn out. And when you get older, and mature, people do turn their lives around. It’s not like he is that guy in KC or Washington that beat their wives and children.

23. wvrocks says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:47 pm

———————————–

Cause everyone just hates a redemption story, smh
    If it were your Steelers rather than New England it would very quickly go from questioning judgement to praising their humanity in trying to help a lost soul find the light

24. frankmalzonefan says:
    August 16, 2019 at 8:22 pm
    davedsone says:
    August 16, 2019 at 6:53 pm

—————————————-

—————————-
    I had seen a report it was a diluted sample. Dont know if it was true ir not. But a diluted sample is not getting caught with anything, its evidence but not proof of trying to evade getting caught. The rules do treat that as a failed test. (I think that’s fair and certainly right a heck of a lot more times than its wrong)

25. It is so funny that anybody would consider weed to be ‘performance enhancing’, unless you are counting eating, relaxing, looking at cloud formations, or realizing that every song you hear is the greatest song ever recorded.

26. rraider says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:35 pm
    ________________________
    As fans we never get the full story. If we did then maybe we would understand why the league does what it does (sometimes).

27. As a Patriot fan I am extremely happy….
    I do hope Josh takes full advantage of this gig leaf Roger has thrown him for his own sake….

28. Question if he keeps himself clean and has a monster year Would you sign him to a long term contract Maybe a no guarentee contract

29. The Steve Howe of the NFL. Obviously the # of suspensions for substance abuse doesn’t matter in the NFL I hope he doesn’t end up driving his pick up into a ditch and killing himself Ridiculous

30. To be totally honest. The dude is going to be a game changer for New England as much as the rest of the league will hate this.

He could be the difference between a ring and a loss in the AFC Championship game

I don’t root for New England but, I do respect Bellicheck/Brady tandem. How could you not?? Their both first ballot HOF’s who are the top guys amongst all their peers in their profession

31. I am not rooting against this guy at all – truly the opposite – but also aghast at how many chances he’s getting.

32. Goodell is making a mockery of the NFL substance abuse policy. Gordon has been suspended MULTIPLE TIMES. This is a joke!

33. theringisthething says:
    August 16, 2019 at 8:57 pm

—————-
    It enhances the performance for the user. Understood that people around the user may think differently.

34. Who has he ever actually hurt?

Nobody. He should never have been suspended. Let the players live their lives like normal people.

If they drive drunk, or whip their kid into hospital, or beat uo their wife or girlfriend, fire them forever.

If they smoke pot, or take Xanax or whatever, leave them the Hell alone.

35. If Josh Gordon could stay out of trouble, we would be talking about him being the best wide receiver in the game, up there with Julio Jones and DeAndre Hopkins. So much talent wasted because of off the field issues.

36. chaseutley says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:58 pm

————————————————–
    There are plenty of pro athletes who ran into trouble as kids who straightened their lives out. Donald Driver used to deal drugs and steal cars. Edgerrin James sold crack. Gordon still has problems with drugs including alcohol, but hasn’t had other legal issues since college.

Most of us have known people who have struggled with sobriety. It’s not easy. Relapses are common. My ex literally drank himself to death by choking on his own vomit. You can only hope that this time Gordon has figured it out. I don’t think anyone will be surprised if he gets suspended again before the season is over. But I’d like to see him at least given another chance to succeed.