Report: Patriots wideout Josh Gordon reinstated

Getty Images

The Patriots are getting a big boost to their receiving corps before the start of the regular season.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, suspended wide receiver Josh Gordon is being reinstated by the NFL.

That’s a quick turnaround after he applied for reinstatement earlier this month. He was suspended indefinitely in 2018, the latest in a series of violations of the league’s substances of abuse policy.

Gordon caught 40 passes for 720 yards and three touchdowns in 11 games for the Patriots last season, and they certainly can use the deep threat element to their offense.

The team can also provide a stable environment for him, and hopefully the support is as good for Gordon as he will be for them.

74 responses to “Report: Patriots wideout Josh Gordon reinstated

1. woohoo!

Now if he can hold it together under the stress for any length of time this is a huge benefit for the Pats

2. He will be suspended “indefinitely” again by Week 6.
    The Patriots, continueing to employ the lowest of the lows

3. If ir were any other team he would remain suapended indefinitely. Since it is Goodells buddy Kraft yet another tsk tsk and slap on the wrist joke of a punishment.

4. Mr. Tyreke-Hill says:
    August 16, 2019 at 6:42 pm
    He will be suspended “indefinitely” again by Week 6.
    The Patriots, continueing to employ the lowest of the lows
    _______________________________________________________________

1. Please look at your username, then look up the definition of irony.
    2. Please learn how to spell.
    3. Spend time thinking about what you did wrong here.

5. The next CBA is being negotiated and who was a big part on the first CBA.Godell did Kraft a favor and now let’s see if Brady is falling off the Cliff Hope Hordon can keep his act together

6. He will be suspended “indefinitely” again by Week 6.
    The Patriots, continueing to employ the lowest of the lows
    ——————
    Holy cow! This from a KC fan, as my 90 year old Aunt was fond of saying, That’s rich!!

7. As a fan, to me NOTHING this guys ever done is half as bad a many who are being permitted to play. Yea I agree that he still is responsible, etc if he violates the weed rule. But but for cripes sake WHY is there even a weed rule? It not only does nothing to give them any performance edge–it actually dose help them get through the pain, stress etc, that causes so many others to become hooked on much more debilitating drugs.

Oh, and the NFL game is a better product WITH Josh Gorden playing.

8. Shouldn’t have been suspended in the first place worst thing you could do for an addict is to give him more free time. Please stay the course Josh!

9. Mr. Tyreke-Hill says:
    August 16, 2019 at 6:42 pm
    He will be suspended “indefinitely” again by Week 6.
    The Patriots, continueing to employ the lowest of the lows

—-
    Says the poster with that name. 🤔

Anyway TREMENDOUS NEWS for the World Champions and their fans! 🙂 And of course hopefully his life is back on track.

10. this helps their chances but in the biggest of games and in the biggest of moments, not having the best tight-end in NFL history is going to make a critical difference.

11. Hope he can stay eligible but realistically anything you get from him is a bonus. You cannot count on him being available. Having said that he adds a lot to that offense when he’s on the field.

12. R D says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:06 pm

—————————
    Unless Belichick is able to think of ways to adjust accordingly. We will just have to see I guess.

13. Good for him. Hopefully next time he needs to blow off some steam he just beats the crap out of a toddler so he doesn’t ruin his career again.

14. My hope is that he and Brady make magic this year and the insane hatred crowd has to eat it another year. Along with this is the sincere hope that Gordon plays 16 and playoffs and gets the support he needs in the structure of the Patriots organization with the help of friendships he has made in the locker room.

I hope this leads to him getting a decent contract in the future and having a lifelong support group to help him with his demons. Someone who struggles with substance abuse is not a monster. They just have a weakness that is very difficult to control.

I pity the people who have actual hatred towards this man who may have failed some tests in the past by drinking a beer. (you get tested against everything when you are already in the program)

15. andreboy1 says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:31 pm
    Doesn’t matter at the end of the year Brady couldn’t throw the ball longer than 25 yards.

———————-
    End of year? You mean in the Superbowl then? Im pretty sure he threw longer than that in that game. He certainly did during the playoffs as he won his way to the Superbowl.

16. Mr. Tyreke-Hill says:

He will be suspended “indefinitely” again by Week 6.
    The Patriots, continueing to employ the lowest of the lows
    ———-

Lowest of the low is the guy you see in the mirror every morning.

Gordon has a disease, and he’s putting himself in a place where he can get the supportive environment that he needs. Hopefully he stays away from the demons that haunt him and gets healthy.

Bonus if he can help the Patriots, but first get Josh the help he needs.

17. This isn’t redemption story this is like the 12th time he has messed up. Everyone acts like its weed, its everything xanax ,coke,alcohol. He isn’t just this friendly pot head. I’m so glad my team isn’t waiting on this guy to get his act together. He let the browns down 10 of those 12 times.

18. R D says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:06 pm

———————————————————————————-
    Except in the SB vs Atlanta where they won it without him. Otherwise good post.

19. I know little or nothing about addiction. The NFL must’ve thought he did his work. But,playing FB, Especially with the Pats, seems to provide structure.Rooting for him in life. Big score.

20. Mr. Tyreke-Hill says:
    August 16, 2019 at 6:42 pm
    He will be suspended “indefinitely” again by Week 6.
    The Patriots, continueing to employ the lowest of the lows
    ——————————————–
    from a team and a coach that condone beating women and children, and drug use, that is rich.

21. vaphinfan says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:34 pm
    Wow o wow. What information does Kraft have on Goodell?

————————
    The ball pressure measurements.

22. Great for the game and him and the Patriots. However how many chances does this guy get?
    I hope it works out for him. He is a solid WR

23. Can’t believe that people are getting bent out of shape that he’s reinstated. The NFL is not the Vienna Choir Boys it’s an entertainment product. If you can entertain you’ll be on the field. If you don’t like it don’t watch or don’t go. He’s on my team, didn’t do anything that hurt anybody other than himself, I’m good with it. I do appreciate all the comments from the doctors and psychologists up here who know what he has to overcome without even knowing what the problem is.

24. Regardless of whether or not the NFL should worry about non-performing enhancing drugs, this short suspension is BS.

While he was in Cleveland, the suspensions were much longer. Why are they shorter now, after further infractions from the same player?

25. andreboy1 says:
    August 16, 2019 at 7:31 pm
    **********
    Last time I checked, Brady helped steer the Patriots to their 6th Super Bowl title last year. If he threw a 1 yard pass at the end of “his” year it was 1 yard longer than your QB threw in February.

Why are haters so obsessed with the yardage on Brady’s passes? How many strong armed, wild, inaccurate, interception prone QBs gave entered and left the league or play for a sub. .500 team, since Brady entered the league? I’ll take 5-7 yard passes that lead to the chains being moved often, scores, and wins, over some QB that can’t read a defense but can throw the ball through the uprights from his knees from the fifty yard line, or a QB that can meaninglessly throw a ball out of a stadium.

26. this helps their chances but in the biggest of games and in the biggest of moments, not having the best tight-end in NFL history is going to make a critical difference.
    ===============
    Other than the 4 SB they won without Gronk.
    Look Gronk is an all-pro and will be missed, but frankly it seemed the past few years the Pats played more without him than with him on the roster.
    I honestly feel for other fan bases…I mean, this defense looks like a potential juggernaut, now Flash and Jules, a super deep running game…if the first rounder WR works out, and if D. Thomas recovers…yikes.

27. For all the people that think this guy is skating free. He missed an entire season in 2017, and he missed weeks 16 & 17 last year plus playoffs and team activities till this point. He’s a non-violent offender, I’m encouraged to see the NFL get lenient on this type of situation. Anybody who knows somebody attempting recovery from addiction knows that anything can tip them over the edge. Give these types of guys help, screw the violent reckless knuckleheads.

28. Just based on my own experience dealing with a substantial head injury, weed can be miraculous for alleviating anxiety. Anxiety was not a “thing” for me until I got bonked; then it was redline for quite a long time after. Over a year. Anyway, prior to that, I had plenty of prior experience with weed as a recreational thing, but since, I’ve come to realize what powerful medicine it is. Plus, non-toxic practically speaking and, I mean, a plant. I’ve got some growing in my garden right now (legal in my state), and it’s easy to make oil or alcohol based edibles and tinctures that I swear to you, are healing to the body. I’m in my mid-50’s and I don’t take ibuprofen. Why would I? My body feels good. Before it was legalized I never ate it, and I took PLENTY of ibuprofen. This is also true of my 56-yo buddy. We were just talking about it while doing a 25-mile road bike ride the other day.

We will all (not just athletes) be better off when this incredible plant is normalized into our society.

Thank me later. 🙂

29. As a Patriot fan from when i was old enough to turn on a tv..about 1974…and after enduring being the laughingstock of the league for almost 3 DECADES…I Love all the Jealousy…and believe me it empowers Kraft, Belichick, and Brady. Because Kraft are students of history of the Patriot’s and Brady still has a chip on his shoulder so keep the hate coming folks..Us Patriot fan’s thank you for the 6 Rings. 🙂

30. The thing with Gordon is he isn’t just an addict. I believe he has serious mental health issues that he uses substances to self medicate. So hopefully he’s found the right prescription medication to ease those symptoms so that he can more easily say no to the other stuff.

31. Josh Gordon has had this drug problem since his College days and hasn’t really done anything to overcome what is clearly addictive behavior. Everyone can pile on me because we’re in the era where marijuana is supposed to be a wonder drug, but in reality it is a psychotropic drug which alters brain function.

As a Browns fan I witnessed the talent Gordon has, but his marijuana use affected his ability to play and seemed especially noticeable during the week, at practice and in class-room meetings. It seemed inevitable that he would falter once traded and it hasn’t been a surprise.

I have hoped for years now that he’d get some help, but he evidently doesn’t believe he has a problem. Addiction is like that, denial and delusion are like that. I expect that the day will come when we read about some tragic outcome to Josh Gordon’s NFL career and life.

32. ditkasanger
    There is a “weed rule” because in most places it was and still is ILLEGAL. So it doesn’t matter how “safe” and “natural” people Claim it is, that is the reason why the rule did and does exist.

33. Too early for two reasons:
    1) Under their progressive discipline system it should have been at least 1 year
    2) He has a couple weeks before the season and then likely 4 whole games before his appeal from his next suspension is over

Root for the guy all you want and I have nothing against him but how many chances should he get? We must be in double-digits by now.

34. What’s interesting is that cannabis is still a “schedule 1 substance” on a federal level meaning that it has both no therapeutic potential and an extremely high addiction severity index. Meanwhile there is now an FDA-approved drug, cannabidiol (Epidiolex), which is essentially CBD oil, that costs a whopping $30,000+ for a year’s supply. Among other things, it has already been clinically proven to reduce seizures by an average of 45% in patients with seizure disorders, and is undergoing over 200 clinical trials for just about every disorder under the sun. Just thought I’d put that out there.