Baker Mayfield had his mind blown by Giants’ selection of Daniel Jones

Getty Images

Count Baker Mayfield among the people who thought the Giants were being a little dangerous in late April.

In an interview with Clay Skipper of GQ, Mayfield made these eyebrow-raising comments about the sixth overall pick in the 2019 draft: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones. . . . Blows my mind.”

Mayfield’s primary criticism comes from the fact that Jones had a record of 17-19 at Duke.

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield told GQ. “That’s where people go wrong. They forget you’ve gotta win. . . . Either you have a history of winning and being that guy for your team . . . or you don’t.”

That’s all fine. He undoubtedly said what the said. And he’ll be criticized for saying what he said. But when will non-sports outlets like GQ be criticized for drawing controversial remarks from young, inexperienced players in a casual setting, where they often don’t realize anything they say can and will be used against them? Last year, it was Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey, who learned his lesson the hard way about anything and everything he says to Clay Skipper of GQ being fair game. This year, it’s Mayfield, who blurted out his opinion about the Giants and Jones after noticing a SportsCenter segment about the Giants while Mayfield and Skipper were having a meal.

It’s disingenuous, in my view, for reporters to play that “gotcha!” game, treating every word uttered during an encounter with the subject of an interview as fair game unless and until the subject of the interview utters the magic words: “Off the record.” And for people who cover the NFL on a regular basis, those tactics are among the quickest ways to run out of people to interview.

Over the past 10 years, I’ve interviewed more players and coaches than I can remember; the number likely falls somewhere between 250 and 500. And there have been plenty of interesting and/or funny things said before the interview officially began. And I’ve never repeated anything that was said before the interview officially began, even though the comments rarely were accompanied by the invocation of “off the record.”

Maybe that makes me not as good as I could be at my job. (There are plenty of things that could be pointed to in order to prove that true.) Maybe I missed that day in J-School. (In fairness to me, I missed all of them.) But it ultimately comes down to how we treat others, and it feels improper and wrong to on one hand try to get people comfortable and relaxed for an interview and on the other hand rush to highlight the things they say while they are comfortable and relaxed, but before they realize that the interview actually has begun.

And because GQ isn’t regularly interviewing NFL players, they don’t have to worry about Ramsey being pissed or Mayfield being pissed or the next guy being pissed. Because there will always be a next guy who gladly accepts the chance to have a photo spread in GQ if it means submitting to an interview with someone who isn’t a sports reporter and thus who won’t ask any questions that could lead to problematic answers.

Until realizing, once the story is published, that something they didn’t even realize was an official answer became the problematic answer.

154 responses to “Baker Mayfield had his mind blown by Giants’ selection of Daniel Jones

1. “It’s disingenuous, in my view, for reporters to play that “gotcha!” game, treating every word uttered during an encounter with the subject of an interview as fair game”
    ———————

Pot, meet kettle.

Examples? Look up any articles about:
    – Goodell, Roger.
    – Riveron, Al.
    – Brown, Antonio.
    – Hill, Tyreek.

2. Please remind me, what has Baker Mayfield ever won? I mean, a Heisman, sure, but what exactly does that mean in the NFL? The Browns are becoming a worse version of the Patriots.

3. Baker shouldn’t be saying this as a fellow NFL player, but he’s 100% right. Jones is not a 1st round talent and will never live up to the expectations that come with it. Preseason means absolutely nothing.

4. Baker,, Mr. Patrick Mahomes did not have a great win/loss record at Texas Tech.
    But he is more of a winner than you are, more mature, more professional, and a much better QB than you are.
    I will always promise that Mahomes will win more Lombardis.

5. Wow.
    Every time you surprise me, I’m surprised I was surprised.
    It’s just that I keep thinking there’s a limit.
    But obviously, there isn’t.

6. I guess he wasn’t smart enough to know the guy he played a couple of times against, Patrick Mahomes, was 13-16 in college playing with more talent?

7. Nice article Florio.
    People should take it that this article isn’t about Mayfield or Jones. Its about simple right and wrong, and how you should treat others you come across in your lives.
    Hopefully as Mayfield ages, he will get (it).

8. I work in PR, and we operate on the rule that “off the record” doesn’t exist. Never say anything you don’t want to be quoted as saying. (And having said things I shouldn’t have, I know what it means to be burnt.) The Browns’ PR team should be working a lot harder with Mayfield to get him to not say things he’d be better off not saying.

9. “That’s all fine. He undoubtedly said what the said. And he’ll be criticized for saying what he said. But when will non-sports outlets like GQ be criticized for drawing controversial remarks from young, inexperienced players in a casual setting, where they often don’t realize anything they say can and will be used against them?”
    ________________

If you’re dumb enough to speak to the media and give them remarks, be prepared for those comments to get out. It’s not rocket science, and anyone older than 15 should be smart enough to avoid so if they don’t wish to make anything out of what they say.

10. I think it’s disingenuous to spew this “holier than though” post knowing full well the relentless smear campaign that’s been waged against Arod over the last few years.

11. @ msc4realeagles says:

“As an Eagles fan, I loved the pick.”

As an Eagle fan, nobody asked you. The way your QB’s are dropping like flies, I wouldn’t be so quick to start downplaying ANY other QB’s in the division, especially when you have glass Wentz as your starter.

12. You mention the fact that football is your beat and you hold in confidence what was said off the record as opposed to GQ who doesn’t care. That’s great.

But Mayfield is still a fool for talking like this. You can never know when someone is going to burn you because you said something juicy.

Going back to the Bill Belichick non answer answers. This is why he does it. I’m sure B.B. as opinions on a lot of players and coaches that are not complimentary. You will never hear or read him stating those opinions.

13. rabidbillsfan says:
    August 20, 2019 at 10:36 am

39 18 Rate This

—————

Yes, the Pats have never won anything while having players constantly and notoriously run their mouths with self promotion all the time.

You sure are smart.

14. Mike , you are so far off base in you aren’t even in the stadium anymore in your attempt to blame the reporter for another ridiculous comment from Mayfield . Mayfield has zero filter and runs his mouth constantly as his past comments indicate so it’s laughable to portray him as a victim because the reporter honestly quoted him . I don’t think Mayfield knows or cares about the phrase off the record all he cares about is attention .

15. Request for sympathy for Mayfield … denied. Three reasons.
    (1) Mayfield could have declined the interview, but my guess is that he loves the attention it brings him. Same with Ramsey.
    (2) Mayfield could have had the “pocket awareness” to know not to blurt out his opinion to a stranger, regardless of whether it gets published.

16. This guy is getting paid millions of dollars a year and is looking to make still more by increasing his brand and profile through interviews with non-traditional sports media outlets like GQ. That being the case, he is expected to know the rules of the road. And it is simple. There is only one rule: anything you say to a reporter is fair game unless you are off the record. Crocodile tears for Baker.

17. I can’t wait til the Brownies go 7-9 this year. Wonder if that will finally shut Mayfield up and maybe force him to focus on more important stuff, like his own team? Lot of static coming from someone that was 6-7….

18. I find it hilariously hypocritical that 90+% of the comments on any given article are unsolicited voluntary nonsense by people using anonymous online identities and they want to criticize real peoples opinions who are solicited for an interview to a higher standard they themselves have for themselves?

LOLOL! Comically egotistical.

19. docsmith54 says:
    August 20, 2019 at 11:01 am
    Baker is basically a minuscule improvement over Johnny. He throws his mouth around.

I don’t get the Baker hype at all.

3 0 Rate This

———————

I don’t get it either. He is Manziel Lite. He is about to get exposed in his second year.

It is so strange how the media glosses over his immaturity, arrogance and horrible leadership.

20. Some people will applaud that type of honesty and give him credit for saying what he feels. However, a bigger portion will recognize that it is completely unprofessional and a clear measure of the person Baker is. Baker’s lack of maturity will always make him a lightning rod for the fans. Most will hate him, but he clearly doesn’t care. He likes being “that guy”.

21. When this guy inevitably struggles this year, all of his ridiculous musings will come back to haunt him. Somebody needs to find his off button real soon.

22. steaksandwichandsteaksandwich says: “(3) The opinion that a player’s W-L record is indicative of future NFL success is self-serving because Mayfield had W-L success at Oklahoma. So did Kyler Murray. If the next guy succeeds as well, we may start to wonder how much of Mayfield’s success was a product of the system.”
    ———————-

Not to mention that Duke football had been 83-207 (.286) in the last 25 years before Jones got there. Not exactly a football powerhouse with talent at every position like Oklahoma.

23. TheCommish says:
    August 20, 2019 at 11:02 am
    I like Baker, but wondering if the he’ll actually be able to cash all the checks that his mouth is writing right now.
    ====================================

Agreed!

And it’s ironic given that he’s writing all these checks and thinks that Daniel Jones was an overdraft……..

*leaves and hides*

24. Interesting. My 1st post ever on PFT. I was mildly, and may I add respectfully, critical of Mike Florio for making news rather than reporting it, and for than my post gets removed. I guess it could be argued that it was off-topic, but none-the-less it is more than truthful. If you’re going to report the news, do so without giving us your opinion. We can do that for ourselves. If you feel the need to do so, then rename yourself the PFT-Enquireror.

25. I don’t get it….Baker makes the comment, presumably set up and managed in a setting by either his or the Brown PR team, and it is exploitative journalism? I think you are off-base in the criticism, Mike.

26. It is the age of social media. All of these guys need to never say anything ever that they don’t want repeated a million times. It is the world we live in.

27. Sorry Mike, but these players control and own everything that comes out of their mouth. Would you be so quick to shame GQ had a player uttered racist or horrifically inappropriate remarks?? Or would you expect those players to be accountable for their comments no matter where and how they spoke them??

28. @sdelmonte says:
    August 20, 2019 at 10:55 am
    ====================================================================
    Sounds like you work for sleezy PR organization. The thing about Cleveland is that Baker doesn’t know what he shouldn’t talk about because in his mind, nothing is off limits.

29. Mayfield has been around the media long enough to know what they look for in a story. He probably just doesn’t care that his opinion is printed. It’s up to Jones to prove the naysayers wrong.

30. A guy can’t have an opinion? Some people do have personalities. You guys want these cookie cutter players who keep their mouths shut. Why?
    And this issue is so stupid because 99% of the football world’s mind was blown with the Giants picked Jones.

31. Says the guy who lost two of three bowl games he played in, has a 6-7 record in the NFL, with a single win against a team with a winning record, and threw three interceptions in the final game of the season, while choking away four passes to end a game against a very beatable opponent.

Guy talks like he’s already won something of significance. All he has done in his NFL career so far is beat out Tyrod Taylor for the starting QB position. That’s it.

32. Mr. Tyreke-Hill says:
    August 20, 2019 at 10:39 am
    Baker,, Mr. Patrick Mahomes did not have a great win/loss record at Texas Tech.
    ———————————————————————-

At this point, the QB he is disparaging, Daniel Jones, is more mature and professional than Mayfield.

I can imagine how long it would take Mayfield to get absolutely skewered in NY. Part of the reason Eli has lasted so long is BECAUSE he is so even keeled, even boring at times. Doesn’t give the writers ANYTHING but the basics. Jones seems to be the same demeanor, which I’m sure plays into the reasons why the Giants like him.

33. Dude blows through big 12 competition …. gets to the big 4 tourney and gets his azz kicked . what does that tell you about big 12 competition. What has Oklahoma ever won since bob stoops first national title ? Bunch of participation bowl games and the national title games they did get to since after boob stoops first title before the tournament was a thing … they got BLOWED OUT OFF! Talk about an all time over ranked division and gifted shots at a title.

34. Ramsey was commenting mostly on the oppositions QB. Fair comments since he’s a DB. Nothing controversial about it. No gotcha.

Mayfield is a QB and commenting about his same position on another team. When Mayfield quips about the Duke team and Jones’ record, Mayfield’s 10 cent brain can barely recall last year, hes not going to realize that that was Duke football is not Duke basketball.

35. Baker,
    Why do you concern yourself with any football team but the Cleveland Browns?
    Why do you concern yourself with the draft status of any player on any of these other 31 teams?

36. My mind was blown when the Browns drafted a Johnny Manziel clone #1 overall, so soon after getting rid of Johnny Manziel…

37. As an eagles fan ,like that means something ,go pawn your one little graduation ring you got 2 years ago !

38. Baker Mayfield is a professional athlete being paid $32,000,000 to play one of the highest profile positions in sports. Mayfield is responsible for what he says to the media, not the writer interviewing him. If he, or the Browns, or Mayfield’s agent, or anyone else is worried about what he might say in the presence of a reporter he has agreed to meet with, that is not the reporter’s problem to solve.

39. This younger generation love to talk and hear themselves. Jones is ELI II….now that might be OK with the Giants and we’ll see if it’s a right call in a few years. I do know Jones is SMARTER than Mayfield…thats OBVIOUS.

40. Mr. Tyreke-Hill says:
    August 20, 2019 at 10:39 am
    Baker,, Mr. Patrick Mahomes did not have a great win/loss record at Texas Tech.
    I will always promise that Mahomes will win more Lombardis.

——————————————–
    I’m in no way a huge Mahomes fan, but this might be my favorite PFT comment of all time.

41. yeah, Baker Mayfield the GM would draft a quarterback from Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson because he has a wonderful career win-loss record.

42. Daniel Jones is really just a slightly more athletic Peyton Manning. They come from the same mentor, David Cutcliffe, both have average arm talent, and more capable of beating you with their mind than physically. He definitely should been drafted where he did or even higher.

43. Personally I dont think Jones is going to be a total bust…He needs time and he will learn from a Veteran QB. As for Mayfield, he has swag he hasn’t earned yet. I used to like him cuz I root for underdogs..but he is just annoy6now. Shut up already, jeez

44. I don’t get the Baker hype at all.
    ===================================

Baker is a winner. Manziel is not.

45. I think he is going to be really good (and maybe great), but it’s going to be a lot of fun watching him inevitably lose and have to eat his words.

46. three more weeks and the silly season is over, three more weeks and the silly season is over, three more weeks and the silly season is over

47. Can’t believe I’m say this as a Redskins fan but …. I hope Daniel Jones shuts his mouth in their first meeting.

48. The media keeps pushing Baker down our throats. Look he’s unlikeable and one of the worst character staring qb’s in the league. NFL fans are seeing this regardless of the Media pushing him as the second coming. Cleveland finally has a team and none them are people you want to cheer for. Poor Cleveland.

49. I didnt even know about these comments until you published them here. So, if GQ is wrong for taking advantage of poor little Baker Mayfields inexperienced youth in making comments about another QB in the league, what does that make you for spreading those comments???

50. This guy is talking like he is a 50 veteran talent elevator, not a 2nd year QB. He needs to focus on his job, not others.

51. So Mike, if you are so considerate, and all of that, why did you repeat the comment here?I Don’t read GQ, and would never known Baker made this comment if you hadn’t repeated it here…

52. Who’s the guy who took out Brady’s knee in 08? I think I found a new target for him or anyone else looking to make a name for themselves.

The only difference is, when Brady is retired, I’ll be able to say I watched him and rooted for him in college as a Michigan fan, and also would have been more endearing to him if he were in any other division in this league. As far as mayfield? I pray that he has a Nathan peterman like breakdown

53. But when will non-sports outlets like GQ be criticized for drawing controversial remarks from young, inexperienced players in a casual setting, where they often don’t realize anything they say can and will be used against them?

———————————————-

I don’t get it. Would it have mattered if GQ was a “sport outlet” vs “non-sport”? Would PFT or any other “sport” media outlet even hesitate for a second if they got juicy material like this? Of course not. You’re going to run with the story too because it’s going to draw clicks.

54. Why is Baker Mayfield concerned about DJONES or where he was drafted? Get better, win some g@mes, earn some cred, worry about yourself.

55. Joe Montana attacked Tom Brady over fake news by calling the only guy better than Joe a cheater without doing any investigation or waiting for the facts to come out. What Baker said is nothing compared to that.

56. That’s all fine. He undoubtedly said what the said. And he’ll be criticized for saying what he said. But when will non-sports outlets like GQ be criticized for drawing controversial remarks from young, inexperienced players in a casual setting, where they often don’t realize anything they say can and will be used against them?
    ———————————————————————-

I’m sorry, I forget. Are we dealing with a 24 year old, or a 14 year old Baker Mayfield

57. Baker has a chip on his shoulder that a marquee NFL team didn’t try and trade for the 1st round pick to get him. Baker was even upset that the Patriots didn’t try to trade up, which would have been impossible even with all of their picks. Of course it was definitely possible for the Giants, so that’s probably why he’s upset.

He’s probably also getting OBJ riled up.

58. How can Mayfield be so clueless and naive not to expect what he says to a reporter, especially something this notable, would find its way into the QC article? You have question Baker’s decision making ability at this point. All his smack talk will resurface the moment he has a bad game. Needless distractions of his own doing. If I was his Coach I’d tell him to zip it.

59. Some times you just need to stay silent. The day Baker learns that he’ll instantly become a whole lot more likable.

60. rabidbillsfan says:
    August 20, 2019 at 10:36 am

Please remind me, what has Baker Mayfield ever won?

Well, let’s see “Rabid”…
    He was 25-2 in HS, and won the State Championship.
    He was 39-9 in College.

He was referring to a record of “winning”. Not CHAMPIONSHIPS. I am SO tired of fans like you who act like if someone has not won the championship in their sport they are talent-less losers.

BTW, I’m NOT a Bakerfield or Brown’s fan. I just found your post to be ridiculous.

61. I didn’t know that Daniel Jones played defense, offensive line, etc, at Duke. Duke is not a powerhouse football program like Oklahoma and it takes more than a QB to win games. Mayfield did play at Oklahoma and is now playing at Cleveland and to my knowledge hasn’t won anything.

62. “It’s disingenuous, in my view, for reporters to play that “gotcha!” game, treating every word uttered during an encounter with the subject of an interview as fair game unless and until the subject of the interview utters the magic words: “Off the record.””

*****************************************************************

Come on. Mayfield’s an NFL-level professional QB. He should know the consequences of saying things like this in an interview with an outlet like GQ. If not, he shouldn’t be doing interviews.

Also, it’s disingenuous, in my view, for sports websites (not naming names or anything) to post 5 articles on stories that only merit one article just to put out more content to generate clicks, but it still happens. I guess we all have our own hang-ups.

63. Does Baker ever stop talking? People want the Browns to do better, but sheesh relax a bit. Even the Ravens of the old days didn’t talk this much and they were elite at least.

64. Baker is a big boy. He should realize that whatever he says to a reporter is fair game to make it into an article. I get the feeling he doesn’t really mind that this little nugget was reported.

65. Seriously?? Blaming a magazine for reporting what was said during an on the record interview. If the press were to do that, there really would be fake news. Insane take

66. That’s an interesting take. You point out another media sources flaws for conversations where some things shouldn’t be mentioned. Yet Tyreek Hill, who had a girlfriend trying to set him up(blackmail him), and a partial recording is released, is blasted on PFT for a “doctored” version of the conversation. Then the whole tape comes out and changes everything. He was more than guilty according to this website yet he receive no suspension. But the damage to him and his reputation was already out there from his guilty plea from 4-5 years ago so I guess that excludes him from receiving the benefit of ALL the doubt that was out there.

Pot, meet kettle! Your reflection of GQ seems mirrored to in this instance.

67. If Baker can’t shut up after not even having a winning record, imagine how big his head will be when they do have one.

But we all know the end results of these “dream teams” so we’ll never see the day.

68. Second year under center………..with lots of film of him from last year

I think he will be challenged more this year than last.

So if I were him…it would make more sense to keep his words close to the vest and let the walk/performance do his talking in 2019.

69. We get tired of players and coaches who only speak in clichés, but this is the reason why. If someone asks you your opinion of a player on another team, you say something bland and noncommittal, or you find something to praise him for. This isn’t professional wrestling.

70. Non story. It is not like he gave a hot take. On draft night I heard every” expert” and talking head say virtually verbatim the same thing. He said he was shocked. Ditto everyone because the guy is there in round 3. He said his win loss record was marginal..so did everyone else. He did not say the guy can’t play, he did not say he will not be successful. He said he was shocked by the pick when it happened..and since virtually everyone but the Giants front office thought the same..what is the big deal?

I do agree with Florio, if you are waiting for a table a you say something about what is on the T.V. in the bar, making conversation, off limits unless you circle back around and ask a direct question about what was said casually.

71. If the Patriots would’ve taken this guy named Tom Brady in the 1st round, they would’ve been the laughing stock of the NFL. And here we are 19 years later…Let the kid play before you judge.

72. I love being hated, soooo much better then being the lovable losers. You hate him because he is good, and although you would never admit it, but a lot of you would love to have him as your QB. Let’s not forget, he now hold the record for most td’s by a rookie in, well, EVER!

73. It’s all about class, and Baker has none. It’s not Jones’ fault he was drafted @ #6. You would think that other players in the League would stand up for the kid, hope he does well. Maybe Baker is trying to impress OBJ, but he came across like a low life. Baker has made himself a target among Defensive players, not a smart thing when you’re facing Greg Williams in Week 2.

74. It’s too bad the AFC North isn’t playing the NFC East this year. I would love to see Jones have a great game and the Giants beat up the Browns, and maybe we might have the pleasure of watching OBJ get into a fight with a locker room wall.

75. Any one who questions bankers leadership is a moron. You guys are all scared of the browns not being the little brother that was easy to beat up anymore. And anyone who brings up the record last year. Dont forget that was tyrod and hue. Once who was gone baker was a top5 qb lasyear. Look at the numbers. People already forget he set that rookie touchdown record and didnt play in the first three games. Browns gave up the least amount of QB pressure in the nfl once hue was gone. It’s okay to be scared but dont compare him toManziel.his teammates would run through a wall for him.

76. To say its all about which QB has a history of winning overlooks the obvious fact that Duke’s football program is not all that good when compared with, say, Oklahoma. My guess is that Mayfield would have lost far more often at Duke too.

77. Eagles fan here – so far, Daniel Jones is doing everything asked him and then some. If NY plays it smart, lets him hold a clipboard for his first year, and then surrounds him with talent, he’ll be fine. FWIW, Nick Foles did not have a great record as a starter in college. Don’t even get started on Tom Brady.

78. I like Mayfield the very first time he played the game for the Browns. He looked poised and was good. But he sure runs his mouth. He can be confident because the Browns are stacked this year. We’ll know if he is great if he plays with regular, not elite players and wins SBs. I hope Jones take that comment as chip on his shoulders, works hard, and wins a lot. Brady was not an elite player either. Mayfield and other gifted players have it easy. They probably can’t relate to other players’ perceived mediocrity and humility is just too hard.

79. The talk before the draft is that the Patriots had an interest in Jones and they had the ammunition to trade up into the middle of the first round to get him which is why the Giants couldn’t wait and use their second first round pick on him. The thought of the Patriots picking a guy that the giants could have had and watching him turn into Tom Brady II was too much for them to bear. Time will tell. The Patriots apparently haven’t done too shabbily with their fourth-round pick Jarrett Stidham.

80. way too early to say — but Jones throws a nice looking ball – – looks the part too, for what it’s worth.

81. John Elway was 20-23 at Stanford with zero bowl game appearances. Anyone remember how he turned out?.

82. The story here isn’t Jones’ ability, it’s that Beta Mayfield is calling out a rookie QB for no reason. The Browns are obsessed with the Giants, I’ve never seen anything like it.

83. The irony is that the last QB who generated this much ink about whether he was picked too high was Baker Mayfield and whether he should have been picked ahead of Sam Darnold.

Look, as a Giants fan, if Jones turns out to be what the Giants think he will be, then no one will say “he was picked too high” and if he’s a bust, then the people who made the pick will be fired.

Life goes on.

84. Baker has already owned the comments and said he doesn’t regret making them. Stop trying to blame another reporter with the holier than thou attitude.

85. Knew from the beginning this guy was a cancer in the locker room. He can’t shut his mouth up and he sides with management. Players do not like him.

86. In an interview with Clay Skipper of GQ, Mayfield made these eyebrow-raising comments
    So, the interview has started.

Wait the interview hasn’t started?

But it ultimately comes down to how we treat others,
    In a story that you try to put yourself on a higher pedestal, did you interview Clay? This has some story has some holes in it. treat people nice unless you want to throw them under the bus. Before you criticize a person at their job, take a look at your work please. It makes you look foolish.

87. Not everyone gets to play at OU or Bama etc. Some pretty decent QBs have come from low tier not so great programs. Phil Simms and Moorehead State jump out since his kid is commenting on this deal. Im pretty sure Moorehead State didn’t have a great record and Phil was a pretty decent QB.

88. Being a fan of a team from another small mid-western city who had their lean years, I think Baker is exactly what Cleveland needed.
    The Browns were the butt of the NFL for the last decade and now he brings some attitude and arrogance back to the team. He is exactly the right QB that fan base needed to energize them.

89. Lots of comments condoning GQ for using quotes that were not part of the interview and criticizing Florio/PFT as hypocrites.

First: Just because you don’t like Mayfield does not mean he doesn’t deserve common respect. If they wanted to use a quote that was not made during an interview then they can ask for permission instead of assuming the right. Florio is correct in being critical of the path they chose.

Second: Running articles about a story is not the same as taking advantage of a person. There may be examples of Florio running a quote that was not given to him but nobody has listed one if there is.

90. This coming from a quarterback with a losing record in the nfl. Hmmmmmmmmmm……..,,,,

91. dejal says:
    August 20, 2019 at 11:00 am

So how many thumbs upped this one? How many thumbs downed? I was one of the few thumbs down. So, all you great football minds out there LOVE Belichick and his whiter than white bread answers to every question? This is the kind of interview you like? He mumbles while saying absolutely nothing! Sorry, but I enjoy hearing from people like Mayfield who actually HAVE AN OPINION and aren’t too PC or too afraid to state it. You bunch of know-it-alls want to trash him; good on you! Wake up and appreciate (I didn’t say you have to agree with him) what down to earth people like Baker have to say. He doesn’t blow his own horn and talk about how great he is…..he simply answers questions truthfully and honestly. And you widdle babies don’t like it…….waaaaaah!

92. The Redskins will owe a debt of gratitude to Gettleman for the next 15 years for passing on Haskins to take Jones.

93. Baker might be 100% correct about this and Daniel Jones might also go on to play 15 years and have a great career. At this point in Jones’s career it’s impossible to guess which possibility will be right. Since both Baker & Odell love to talk too much and don’t seem to stop very often, can I ask a favor of them? How about don’t talk about another team’s players until ether 1 of them has won a single playoff game at the NFL level?

94. Sooooo much chirping from an organization that hasn’t had a winning record since 2007 and hasn’t won a playoff game since 1994.

95. There was nothing wrong with what Baker Mayfield said. When Mayfield was selected, Clevelander’s were up in arms because they wanted Darnold, Rosen (believe it or not), and even Josh Allen before Mayfield. Heck, some wanted Saquon Barkley before Mayfield, so his selection blew many people’s minds.

96. Look at the college records of every QB drafted in the top ten and see how many were busts. So when the saints lost games 50-49 and finished with a losing record that meant Drew Brees wasn’t a winner… Great logic.

97. “bc puckett says:
    August 20, 2019 at 1:30 pm
    John Elway was 20-23 at Stanford with zero bowl game appearances. Anyone remember how he turned out?.”

Cleveland sure does.

98. I can’t wait for Mayfield to crash and burn! He don’t have the maturity to handle failure and when it comes, he’s going to crash hard!

99. He’s not entirely wrong. If you’re taking a qb that high he should have the measurables AND deliverables. Later in the draft, you can take a guy with one or the other.

100. Funny how Baker values himself as the NFL’s “voice of reasoning,” but I think he’s missing a few brain cells. Besides, until he ends up playing in Game #20 (Super Bowl), I caution him about karma. Maybe someone needs to plant a flag up his butt to have him start thinking straight. Oh boy, are the critics going to have a field day if he stumbles & fumbles this year. I feel sorry for the other 52 on the roster. Seems ole Mayfield is going to be a weekly bulletin board fave for opposing teams. What’s that old saying – children should be seen & not heard. Seems Baker has a lot of “growing up” to do.

101. This guy just talks and talks and has no idea what he’s talking about. I seriously think he should consider running for president, if he hasn’t already. Actually, maybe that’s what all his nonsensical comments are about.

102. I don’t get how BB and the Patriots get dragged into an article about Baker Mayfield. Your right, the Patriots don’t speak bad about other players, they usually compliment them. Belichic, doesn’t like giving info about his team for competitive reasons. Talk to him about historical facts about NFL or other teams players and he opens up. I remember Wes Welker commenting on another coaches foot fetish and he sat the first quarter of the next game. Johnny Manziel use to talk a lot to.

103. hailtothenamechange says:
    August 20, 2019 at 10:36 am
    “They forget you’ve gotta win,” says the QB with a 6-7 record.
    ===============================
    Playing as a rookie on a team that had only won 1 game the 2 previous years. That’s pretty decent IMO. Give him a minute (and ODB).

104. Tom Brady was a backup in college and a sixth round pick. So college record doesn’t necessarily matter.
    Mayfield and Beckham both attacking the Giants for no reason tells me one thing: If they don’t have immediate success, they will start attacking each other. I hope Jones takes the high road.

105. more reason to root FOR Jones and AGAINST Mayfield. I’m a vikings fan and even though there is no Vikings-Browns rivalry, I hope Mayfield gets humbled this year big time.