Jerry Jones says he has “earned the right to joke about Zeke”

Getty Images

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is disappointed, if not hurt, that Ezekiel Elliott is holding out. Jones’ unwavering support of Elliott before and after the league suspended the running back for six games in 2017 resulted in Jones paying a $2 million de facto fine to the league.

Elliott was disappointed, if not hurt, that Jones joked about Elliott’s absence after Saturday’s preseason game. Elliott’s agent Rocky Arceneaux said he and the two-time Pro Bowler found Jones “Zeke who?” comment “disrespectful.”

So maybe they’re even now?

Jones was serious when asked Tuesday about the backlash from his joke.

“I’ve earned the right to joke with Zeke,” Jones said, via Jon Machota of TheAthletic.com. “Let me be real clear about that. I’ve earned the right to joke with Zeke.”

Elliott and Jones will laugh about it together if the Cowboys get Elliott signed to a long-term deal.

73 responses to “Jerry Jones says he has “earned the right to joke about Zeke”

1. In terms of laughter, Jerry can get himself into stitches whenever he looks in the mirror.

But I’ll give it to Jones the he’s right in the way that he’s handling Elliot.

2. The obscenely wealthy think they’ve “earned” the right to do anything they please. Not shocking.

3. Jerrah should give Cooper the big deal & jettison Zeke & Dak. Let them fight over the scraps. But he wont do that…Freud would say that Jerrah has a non-functioning superego.

4. tonyzendejas says:
    ==

Ezekiel Elliott has done one boneheaded and irresponsible thing after another since entering the NFL. Jerry Jones has publicly stood up for him each and every single time.
    I’m no fan of Jones or his Cowboys, but he HAS earned the right to joke with the little Millennial snowflake.

5. sad in a way. jones is delusional, actually thinks he’s belichick-like in being able to evaluate talent and build a team, but knows nothing about either and can’t stop undermining coaches and players by running his mouth in public.

6. The funny part is how good the Cowboys roster is but we may never get to see it at full strength. As much money as Jerry has spent the money he doesn’t spend is what may eventually hurt them.

7. I don’t disagree Jerry has the right, but I don’t get how he thinks he’s earned it. Why? Cuz he fought the suspension? That was in his own interests; to make like it was only for Zeke’s benefit is laughable. Same can be said for any support or weight he threw affecting this last hearing with Rodger where all was forgiven.

But Zeke is in his debt, no mistake about that. Which makes this holdout all the more stupid.

8. Jerrah can laugh and joke himself all the way to another mediocre season. He’s earned it as a mediocre GM.

9. Good grief. I’m so sick and tired of hearing about everyone and everything feeling disrespected. When did we become such a bunch of whiners with this ridiculous claim. Get over yourself and do your job…

10. This team was set to go far this football season, but little cracks in the invincible great wall has allowed the seas of negativity to enter. One by one, the players started to drink the kool-aid created by the media. Oh, so sad, so sad.

11. That he CAN say it doesn’t really mean he SHOULD say it. But that being said, Elliott has zero leverage and in today’s NFL very few teams are going to give in to a RB. They’re just too easily replaced and have just too short of a shelf life.

12. I mean yeah he is the owner and GM of the team. Belichick is allowed to joke about Brady being immobile so why not Zeke? Sheesh you know you’re garbage when you make Jones look sane.

13. @ u4iadman says:

Lmao at the drama. Team is a mess.

EXACTLY what a hater would say. BTW, a player holding out for a new contract isn’t drama – it is business as usual in the NFL. But the regular season hasn’t even started, and this is “drama”? Seriously?

Meanwhile, one very overpaid Antonio Brown is filing a 2nd grievance against the NFL for not allowing him to wear a helmet that is more than 10 years old due to safety reasons, but a RB on his rookie contract holding out for more $ is “drama” and the “team is a mess”?

Wow. You must be a Skins fan who is so overexposed to real drama that lashing out at other teams in the same division to help deal with the disgust and the fact that his team is a dumpster fire. Well done.

14. For real. It’s his team. His money. His empire. Unlike you Zeke. Remember that video of you riping that girls top off and exposing her breasts in the middle of the street. Did you EARN that right? Punk.

15. @ vikings1234 says:

“Jerrah can laugh and joke himself all the way to another mediocre season. He’s earned it as a mediocre GM.”

Just too predictable……. “Mediocre” Jones has 3 more Lombardi’s than ANY GM while with the Vikings. You know, the same vikings with ZERO Lombardi trophies, which is the pinnacle in the NFL.

16. Jerry signs the check…..Elliott is a torn ligament from moving back to a dirty little river town in Alton, Il.

17. To those saying Jerry Jones won all those Lombardis, wrong. It was all Jimmy Johnson and they haven’t been relevant since.

18. All of the dumb stuff Elliott has done and Jones has had his back. He even when heads up against to Commish for this dude. Personally I think he has earned the right to laugh at a guy that he’s bent over backwards for wanting more money from him. Jerry Jones is one of the few owners who supports his players no matter what. Will sign undesired knuckleheads, take a chance on a guys with injuries and pay them. Them Boys can lose every game and I’d laugh but that dude is definitely a player’s friend that doesn’t ask much from them except to play.

19. You Cowboys clowns clamoring about 3 SB’s that were a quarter of a century ago —- keep on supporting: we all love Jerry’s circus of misfit buffoons……

20. jsrdc says:
    August 20, 2019 at 7:32 pm
    @ vikings1234 says:

___________

Not a vikings fan (in fact I don’t even like them), but good lord, how long will Cowboys fans rest on the laurels of 25 years ago. They’ve been averaging 8-8 since the mid 90s run.

21. Jerry isn’t wrong about saying that. Signing Smith was a shot across the bow too..u work hard and SHOW UP under contract, good things happen. Zeke disrespected Jones by turning down 15 million a season then holding out. Cooper, you’re next!

22. Jerry is RIGHT — he stuck his neck out and fought for Zeke both during the Draft and after many of Zeke’s bonehead moves off the field. He now also offered him tens of millions of dollar.

The DISRESPECT is from Zeke.

23. Of course he “earned the right.” He pays taxes and lives in America. He can say pretty much whatever he wants about the man and won’t be prosecuted by the government.

We have also “earned the right” to say Jerruh is an idiot, Zeke is a good player but a vile human being, and that the cowboys are a disaster. And hey look, no cops at my door (yet at least.)

Yay, “rights.”

24. Not a Dallas fan by any means and Jerry has always made me scratch my head, but this time, its different. Jerry seems to have it right this time. I love this game he is playing. LOVE IT! He finally has a good team and it appears he wont let a guy who is in a rookie contract hamstring him. Last year, the Dallas D was pretty damn impressive (see Saints game especially…I thought Brees and Co. was gonna take the ‘boys to the prison showers). Dak is serviceable, Cooper seems to have been reborn, and my guy from CSU, Michael Gallop, Is now an intriguing threat.

25. joemontanafootball16 says:
    August 20, 2019 at 7:00 pm
    I hate when people pretend to be offended by a joke. Waaaah life is so serious and these words hurt me!

———
    If only they were pretending. Way too many people walking around with paper thin skin, looking to be offended at everything.

26. ibillwt says:
    August 20, 2019 at 6:54 pm
    sad in a way. jones is delusional, actually thinks he’s belichick-like in being able to evaluate talent and build a team, but knows nothing about either and can’t stop undermining coaches and players.
    ============

4 playoff wins since the 1995 season and no Super Bowls. Jerry said during an interview
    that if the GM was any one else beside himself he would have fired the GM.
    He said the reason he did not fire himself is he Knows what best for the Cowboys,
    the playoff record during that period proves him wrong.

27. The only Cowboy employee I care about Jerry resigning is Jason Garrett…if not as head coach…still as an offensive coordinator or something…playcaller…just please bring him back…#Signed#Hail#SkinsFans

28. I will say this as a Texans fan that dislikes the Cowboys. Jerry Jones is a fantastic owner, a fantastic and important figure in this league as well. If he’s been guilty of anything through the years, it at times he appears to back his players a little too much, thereby giving them the impression they are invincible.
    Yes Jerry you have earned the right to joke about Zeke, and he has earned the right to play for the contract he has. Make him squirm Jerry.

29. Jerry personally backed this clown every time he got in trouble, even got hit with a fine for challenging the clown Goodell. Zeke should be grateful he’s not suspended for half the year after what, his 4th or 5th offense? I’m all about players getting paid, and hope they get guarantee contracts, but Zeke is a grade A clown.

30. araidersfan says:
    August 20, 2019 at 6:38 pm

But I’ll give it to Jones the he’s right in the way that he’s handling Elliott.
    ————————————
    Self-made billionaire……Yeah I’m sure he is laughing.

31. Reminds me of the Bee Gees:

“I started a joke which started the whole world crying
    But I didn’t see that the joke was on me oh no
    I started to cry which started the whole world laughing
    Oh If I’d only seen that the joke was on me.”

32. Elliott thinks he deserves to get paid before everyone else on the team, even though others have expiring contracts. JJ can do absolutely nothing, and control Elliott contractually for (4) more years. Looks like JJ might be prepared to teach Elliott about who to respect (his agent or his owner). Ask Le’veon Bell how that goes.

33. All Jones needs to do is look what happened to the Rams as soon as they gave in to Gurleys demands ..the moment Gurley got all that money he’s been to hurt to be a factor or to hurt to even play in the playoffs last season and now this year his knee still hasn’t healed right..Zeke needs to honor his current contract and then and only then Zeke’s agent and Jones can talk about the future .

34. “To those saying Jerry Jones won all those Lombardis, wrong. It was all Jimmy Johnson and they haven’t been relevant since.”

Didn’t Jerry hire Jimmy?

35. Darn right he has. He supported Zeke through a couple of battles with the league. I suspect Zeke’s punishments would have been a lot harsher if he had not had the defacto head of the owner’s in his corner. I am not a ‘Boys fan (actually the opposite), but it is just like BB saysing, “I am only going to talk about the players on my roster at this time.”

36. SparkyGump says:
    August 20, 2019 at 7:21 pm
    Trade him to Detroit or Indy.
    ___________
    Indy would NEVER accept an attitude like that.

37. Considering all the trouble Zeke has been in since being in the league, with Jerry standing in support of him through everyone of those incidents, yeah, jerry has a point.

38. metalup666 says:
    August 21, 2019 at 8:25 am

Didn’t Jerry hire Jimmy?

——–

Not only that, but Barry Switzer actually won one of those SB’s as well….

39. Jones is a billionaire owner with an NFL team that sells out their games and is one of the most popular in the country for merchandise (I personally do not like them). My point being; Jones can do what he wants. It’s the way of the world. Zeke should be the one that stays quiet on this. Maybe he can talk to his selfie tattoo and get some wisdom.

40. Jerry can say whatever he wants, but I don’t understand how these sorts of comments help him resolve this contract issue. It’s just kind of bizarre.

41. Nobody brings it up, and maybe I am wrong, but this is a cap issue. This year the Cowboys have limited cap space. So that’s how the Ramsey deal got done. Next year they have a projected cap space of $73 million, so if Dak, Amari, and Zeke want to be paid deals need to be signed after the season. It’s purely economics.

42. This old kook hasn’t earned anything … no one gets that wealthy without lies , cheating or stealing … period. At whose expense did this guy get his money … probably the public’s .. if I’m wrong well then prove it.

43. IMO, Jerry didn’t meant Zeke any harm. He’s just frustrated (like Zeke) and likely spoke without thinking. Zeke’s an intelligent, self-aware guy. I’m sure this comment bugged him, but I’m sure he’s able to understand this.

It’s clear that the two of them are having a difficult time communicating in a positive fashion. Might be a good time for all parties to take a deep breath, break out some beers, drop the egos, and make some compromises.

The season is almost here and nobody enjoys this sort of unpleasantness, whether you’re a Cowboy fan or foe.

44. Just because you can doesn’t make it smart. Or make you immune from being called out on the optics.

I personally wouldn’t antagonize a player during a contract dispute no matter how in the right I feel I am. Just prepare for him not being there and repeatedly say we’ll welcome him back on his return.

Super simple stuff for people who aren’t egomaniacs.

45. Those that like to criticize Jerry as a GM, and there are a LOT of haters out there, might want to look at his draft success over the last 5 or 6 years. Maybe 25 years experience as a GM/owner is beginning to pay off. How many “football guy” GMs have that much experience?

46. Elliott has a $12 million net worth and has been offered a contract that’s probably north of $10 million per year to play a game.

There are no victims here.

47. Just wait until the “everybody gets a trophy” and “we don’t keep score so there are no winners or losers” generation starts playing in the NFL. Their fragile little egos are going to explode.