Baker Mayfield reached out to Daniel Jones to clear the air

Getty Images

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield was unhappy about how comments he made in a GQ interview were perceived as an attack on Giants quarterback Daniel Jones, so Mayfield tried to smooth things over.

Mayfield said today that he reached out to Jones to tell him privately the same thing he said publicly, which was that his comments were turned into clickbait by media looking to sensationalize anything he says.

“It had nothing to do specifically about Daniel,” he said. “I reached out to Daniel because all of that blew way out of hand and I wanted him to know how I felt. I’ve heard nothing but great things from Saquon and Sterling Shepard, guys who have nothing but respect for him, and I respect their opinions. I just wanted to clear the air with him.”

Mayfield said he believed the quotes that he “cannot believe” the Giants picked Jones sixth overall and that it “blows my mind” reflected badly on him and made him come across as bad-mouthing Jones, which Mayfield says he was not doing.

“To me, that came back on my character. That’s one thing that, I don’t care about a lot of opinions if you like me or not, but that looked like my character was way out of line, so that’s the only reason I addressed it,” Mayfield said.

Jones did not sound particularly concerned when asked about the comments, and so the beef between these two quarterbacks may have been squashed before it could begin.

76 responses to “Baker Mayfield reached out to Daniel Jones to clear the air

1. Baker Mayfield is like that kid in a fight and all his buddies hold him back , without much effort lol. Talks a lot because defenses can’t pound the QB anymore so he’s safe to talk the talk … in other words is a Punk 👍

2. Kid better ball out and he better do it early in the season or the walls will be crashing down on this party hard.

3. I think Mayfield is probably a pretty good guy but he doesn’t have any sort of filter which gets him into trouble. Stay silent in the first place and you don’t have to clear the air afterwards. If Beckham wants to take shots a the Giants all day then let him but that was never Mayfield’s fight yet he’s talked about them multiple times this offseason.

4. Wow – glad that got settled. Now can we talk about something more important – like AB’s helmet

5. “Dude, I think they misheard what I said. I mean, you have to be as shocked as anyone that a team picked you that high…. am I right? No hard feelings right? I’ll see you out on the field in a couple years when Eli is gone. If you want anything signed, ask my agent. Glad we cleared that up.”

6. I mentioned Daniel Jones record and lack of credentials
    right after the draft on MANY pft posts.

So… Baker Mayfield is absolutely right.

7. theright0pinion says:
    The media spinning a story? No way! That would never happen. The media has too much integrity to do that.
    ==

A loudmouth athlete sticking his foot in his mouth and then claiming he was “misquoted” and taken advantage of when the stuff hits the fan? No way! That would never happen. Athletes like Baker Mayfield have too much integrity to do that.

8. I’m not a huge fan of Mayfield’s, but reaching out to Jones to resolve the issue shows Baker isn’t a total immature fool. At the bare minimum, it communicates that Mayfield has respect for other players in the NFL fraternity.

9. Glad to see this was much ado about nothing. Misunderstandings are inevitable and should in no way impact a budding friendship. QB’s unite!

10. Hmm. Well, somebody is lying, cuz either Mayfield said it or he didn’t. And based on what he’s now saying, it’s pretty obvious what happened. I used to kinda like Mayfield but now, not so much. Gotta own it dude, man up.

11. Mayfield needs to focus less on making any opinions or statements and more on his actual on field performance. Be a true professional and let your QB play do the talking for you. Establish a legacy based upon elite play not on your need to make comments to any and all venues that will publish you. For a year two player, you act as though you’ve been doing great things in the NFL for many years.

12. You B. Crazy says:
    August 21, 2019 at 12:25 pm
    —————————–
    Really? You really think he came to this decision all by himself?
    His people advised him to do this.
    If he comes out of the gate this year as a winner he doesn’t have to do this.
    If he doesn’t the stink will linger.
    As no games have yet been played it’s better to bury this now.

13. I don’t care about a lot of opinions if you like me or not, but that looked like my character was way out of line, so that’s the only reason I addressed it,” Mayfield said.

+++++

Baker seems to care about the way his character is perceived. Not his actual character.

14. What he should have said was, “I can’t believe they took a QB at 6”, not “I can’t believe they took Daniel Jones at 6”.

15. I hope that he and the rest of the team is ready for this season, with all the expectations and talk coming from Mayfield, I don’t think any QB is under more pressure than him.

16. Damage control. Mayfield said it. Now he’s trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube. This is not media fabrication. Mayfield has a track record of saying and doing dumb things. This is just another incident in a long history of incidents.

17. Wonder if he will be so available to the media and wanting to run his mouth when the Browns go 6-10 this year?

18. I never heard Mayfield say that Jones was a bad QB. Never heard him say Giants we’re stupid for drafting him 6th overall. All I read was he said he was surprised about the pick just like every announcer on draft day.

19. These 2 teams should just play a grudge match the week before the Superbowl (neither will make the playoffs),using 1975 game rules.

20. nyneal says:
    August 21, 2019 at 12:57 pm
    Mayfield is Manziel II. He’s done nothing in the NFL other than run his mouth.

____

Wasn’t he runner up to Saquon for Rookie of the Year last year while setting the record for TD throws by a rookie on a team that went 0-16 the year before?

21. I think the problem isn’t saying that he was surprised that the Giants took him at #6 it is Mayfield’s logic why Jones shouldn’t have been picked that high. Bill Parcells too believed in the importance of win-loss record for college QBs unless there were very strong extenuating circumstances for a losing record.

22. Mayfield talks way too much about stuff that is really none of his business & that doesn’t concern him. I hope he struggles until he learns more humility. Too many of these guys talk way too much about nothing.

23. tbisgod says:
    August 21, 2019 at 1:25 pm
    Daniel has bigger concerns than Baker Mayfield. He’s asked to run one of the worst offenses in football.

=====================
    First, Jones isnt running the offense right now, Eli is. Second, the Giants are not a good team but that was mainly due to their horrible defense. Their offense is actually around middle of the pack.

24. Mayfield is concerned about his character and reputation? Dude that ship has sailed ever since you planted an OU flag on the 50-yard line at Ohio State. Some linebacker is licking his chops ready to plant you and your big mouth (and ego) right into the ground.

25. People keep calling Baker a boy. He is 24 years old. He should have been taught better but since he has been the “Queen of the Ball” since he was a kid, he thinks basic humility and life skills are not pertinent to him. He hasn’t done anything to earn any respect. Keep your mouth shut and do your job.

26. It would be cool if they teamed up and did the late-night circuit. Or, better yet – Eli decides to play until he’s 45 and Daniel Jones joins the Browns. Then they can experiment w/ some 2 QB formations.

27. Does it really matter what Bake Mayfield says? Look at his record in college and the NFL, not much ground for him to stand on. Plus he is on the “browns”. Guaranteed 9 out of 10 players polled would much rather play for the NY Giants than the “browns”.

28. Daniel Jones don’t listen to Mayfield. The only reason why he reached out to you is because his agent told him to.

29. It came across that way because that’s what Mayfield said. I kind of hope the Browns are a dumpster fire and OBJ is a pain in the tail to see how Mayfield handles it.

30. Hey Baker,

Here’s a novel thought: Maybe Daniel Jones doesn’t give a crap about your opinion or your apology. The world doesn’t actually revolve around you.

31. “It had nothing to do specifically about Daniel,”

===============================================

What a bunch of Happy Horse manure that is, nice try though Baker.

32. fishyinalittledishy says:
    August 21, 2019 at 3:34 pm
    Players will sit down less and less with the media. The media has to spin stuff to sell. Simply to many of them, the tall need to make waves.

—————

Players don’t appear in the pages of GQ in designer clothes to help out the magazine. They do it for their own brand. It’s voluntary.

33. I don’t understand why Mayfield’s comments are all that surprising. He merely parroted what every single NFL draft analyst said during the draft as soon as Jones was drafted. The only more stunning first round selection was Clelin Ferrell.

34. What he should have said was, “I can’t believe they took a QB at 6”, not “I can’t believe they took Daniel Jones at 6”.
    ==================================================

No 6″ QB has ever made it.

35. lifeistoughtrustmeimadolphinsfan says:
    August 21, 2019 at 1:12 pm
    This boy needs to grow up.
    ————-
    Think about what you just said.

36. I still can’t believe the Bears took Trubisky at 2!!!! (ahead of Mahomes even).

Maybe I should reach out to Mitchell and clear the air…..

37. So the QB of the preseason champions had to “clarify” his comments. Dude is a complete tool.

38. The more I hear this guy speak the more he turns into Johnny Manziel. At least LeBron became a star before he started creating drama. Keep your mouth shut and play the damn game!

39. Mayfield is a good football player, but he’s also the prototypical idiot jock bro. If he could follow any of his thoughts up one level, he would understand that Duke doesn’t have the talent to judge this kid on wins.

Not a Giants fan and have no stake in this, but if wins matter for NFL success, please explain the careers of: AJ McCarron (36-4), Danny Wuerffel (45-6-1), Vince Young (30-2), Matt Leinart (37-2), Tommie Frazier (35-3), and Tim Tebow (35-6). All these guys came from top programs.

Or how about the losing record Mahomes had at Texas Tech? Here’s the final score of just a few of his loses: 55-68, 38-44, 59-66, 37-45, 44-45, 53-73, 27-63, 35-63, 52-55, 46-48, 30-42, 27-82, and 35-45.

The Texas Tech defense gave up 49.2 ppg in Mahomes losses and 56.8 in the losses listed above (13 of his 17). Baker had some bad defenses at Oklahoma too, but on average Texas Tech gave up 15 more ppg than Oklahoma in each QB’s final season with the team. In 2017 Alabama gave up three fewer ppg total (11.9) than that difference. I wonder how Mahomes would have looked under Sabin.

Fortunately for long suffering Browns fans, there’s smart and then there’s football smart, and history has taught us that many mentally deficient minds can be football geniuses (Farve being one great example), so there’s still hope!