Tom Brady revels in pissing the defense off by running

Getty Images

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady did a surprising thing on Thursday night: He ran for a first down.

That’s surprising both because it’s just the preseason, and Brady didn’t have to put his body at risk by running downfield, and also because, well, he’s Tom Brady. He’s not exactly known as the swiftest runner.

But Brady says he loves it when the opportunity arises for him to make plays with his legs.

“I think those are important plays,” Brady said, via MassLive.com. To get a first down conversion on me scrambling, I’m sure the defensive coordinator is like ‘What the heck. We gotta stop [Julian] Edelman, we gotta stop [James] White, we gotta stop the run game. We gotta stop these great players and all of a sudden Brady for a scramble.’ That’s gotta piss ’em off pretty good. I revel in that.”

Brady had 10 rushing first downs last year. He thinks 16 would be a good goal for this year.

“Hopefully I can do that once a game,” Brady said. “I think I’d be good with that. If they give the the opportunity, I’ll take it. I just don’t think it can be much more than four or five yards.”

Brady has pissed opposing defenses off for two decades, and he’s not going to stop now.

60 responses to “Tom Brady revels in pissing the defense off by running

1. Well, until recent seasons, I have seen him with Brady Lock and he would not run with 10 yards in front of him staring down Welker, forcing a pass or an int, or even taking a dumb sack not willing to tuck and run even for 5 yards and a first.

2. Tom is simply far too competitive.
    Opposing DCs have feelings too.
    A little humanity is never a bad thing, Tom.
    This is why people don’t like you.

3. Well since Brady makes the rules these days … I mean his good buddy “Rog” does: you cant hit him. He can run all the way down the field if he wants. First player that says BOO to him is fined/ejected and the team is penalized. A different set of rules for that guy.

4. Dear Tom;
    You all but just sealed your future with this. You know Patriots don’t talk like this and there’s a reason. Every team you play this year will be waiting for the opportunity to piss you off. I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple of teams don’t bait you into the run opportunity and then clean your clock. Bad move. Dude, what are you thinking?
    Yours truly,
    A longtime Pats fan that really hopes you didn’t just sign your own death warrant.

5. The Patriots defense has been ridiculously selfish this preseason. The Pats D is only allowing 166 yards per game (TOTAL) The are only allowing 91.7 passing yards PER GAME.

Look out haters, BB has figured out how to put your teams Madden setting on Easy.

6. I love his fire, but for GODS SAKE & your fans, DON’T do it that often!!!!
    You’re 42….. be SMART about it!!!
    LOL

7. dspyank2k11 says:
    August 23, 2019 at 11:27 am
    —————
    It’s simply mind-boggling that someone can be so out of the loop! Emperor Goodell determined that the laws of physics (motion, gravity, pressure, etc) weren’t real and announced that Newton and Einstein were frauds. All because he didn’t want NE to win another SB. Brady’s good buddy, he says…

8. His next milestone is 1,500 yards rushing. Come on, Touchdown Tommy, it’s still possible.

9. Bob. Just Bob. says:
    August 23, 2019 at 11:41 am
    I don’t always run, but when I do I’m awesome. Of course.
    ___________________

It’s just not fair anymore.

10. Immaculate Deception says:
    August 23, 2019 at 11:59 am
    His trademark for Tom Terrific got rejected, he’s definitely on the way down, he was off last night, Third best quarterback in the AFC East

8-12 for 75 yards is “off”

Dream on … 3rd best. Ha

#crybaby

11. Brady thinks the world revolves around him. Pats fans get their arrogance from watching Brady.

And if emperor Goodell didn’t want the Pats to win any more Super Bowls he would have suspended both Belichick and Brady for a full year for blatantly cheating the integrity of the game. And he’d make sure the refs didn’t let the Pats get away from so much holding on offense and defense.

12. dspyank2k11 says:
    August 23, 2019 at 11:27 am
    Well since Brady makes the rules these days … I mean his good buddy “Rog” does…
    _____________________________________________-

Whiner nation was counting on you and that was the best you could come up with? If you’re gonna just mail it in then why even bother?

13. He is the epitome of the competitor. He is not trying to be a jerk, competition is in his DNA to an extreme.

He will do anything it takes to win.

His arm may be weaker this year, but his mind isnt.

14. officialgame says:
    August 23, 2019 at 11:23 am
    If I was a defensive player I would revel in taking Brady’s head off and paying the fine.

————

I guess nobody thought to do that in the last 18 years.

15. Immaculate Deception says:
    August 23, 2019 at 11:59 am

—————-

Sam “Bradford” Darnold and Josh “McCown” Allen aren’t too scary yet.

16. directdriver says:
    August 23, 2019 at 2:02 pm
    Well, I started following Brady since he juked Brian Urlacher and handed my team the second defeat of the season. I was impressed.

I remember that after that play, Urlacher said to Brady “you’re making me look bad” or something to that effect.

17. thecape15 says:
    August 23, 2019 at 12:57 pm
    He will do anything it takes to win.

————

He will do anything it takes to win. Including CHEATING

18. What “pisses off” defenses is getting flagged for just breathing on Tom Brady. Like the KC lineman who decided he’d watch Brady walk into the end zone rather than risk the personal foul. Maybe that attitude needs to change this year.

19. Thetruthspeaks says:
    August 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm

======================
    Puhleeze … The Pats hold as much as any other team in the league. I mean it has to be league wide favoritism by every ref for … multiple … decades instead of just plain ole good coaching, right?

Integrity of the game ?!?!?!? We’re talking about locating a camera in the wrong location and unproven ball deflation. Regardless of where you stand on either issue the integrity of the game was FAR from compromised. Harshest Penalty In NFL History (not once but twice)

20. ampatsisahypocrite says:
    August 23, 2019 at 3:43 pm

—–

yeah, that’s what he claimed after Brady avoided him, although the video tells a different story.

21. ampatsisahypocrite says:
    August 23, 2019 at 3:43 pm
    ———————————————-
    Actually, the defender thought Tom had already gotten rid of the ball & didn’t want to get a roughing the passer for throwing him down for what he believed wasn’t necessary…… the DEFENDER just made a mental mistake, THAT is nobodies fault but his….& Tom made him pay…. pretty much like he always does when players make mistakes….. he’s pretty darn good at that & has been for 19 years

22. I watched the game. He ran, the defenders had the angle on him and he slid.

They are not stupid. When a qb runs and if you even hit them as they are about to slide they will get flagged.

23. boiler72 says:August 23, 2019 at 2:11 pm
    “For all of his accolades and accomplishments, he is easily one of the most boring quarterbacks I’ve ever watched. I don’t get it.”

=============

You have to define what is boring for you first. Is it the lack of athleticism, arm strength, speed, and/or personality? Winning in a boring way is not boring to the fans. I personally prefer his boring way if he’s winning.

24. Immaculate Deception says:
    August 23, 2019 at 11:59 am
    ==================
    BWA HA HA HA HA

That made my day thanks for the laugh!

25. directdriver says:
    August 23, 2019 at 4:26 pm
    boiler72 says:August 23, 2019 at 2:11 pm

=============
    I’m the exact opposite. I’d much rather watch a QB pick apart a defense with their arm than to rely almost exclusively on their speed.

26. ampatsisahypocrite says:
    August 23, 2019 at 3:43 pm

————-

Not true… Donald tossed Brady like a rag doll in the Super Bowl… no flag. He’s been hit a lot in his career. 2015 against Denver he was smashed. Atlanta Super Bowl he was smashed. Seattle Super Bowl he was smashed. Just has to be within the rules. The call in the KC AFCCG for the chop to the helmet was a terrible call though. There was nothing there.

27. boiler72 says:
    August 23, 2019 at 2:11 pm

—————–

Did you watch the AFCCG against KC? Did you watch SB XLIX, LI, LII? These were some of the most exciting meaningful games in NFL history?

What exactly are you looking for?

28. Thetruthspeaks says:
    August 23, 2019 at 3:05 pm
    thecape15 says:
    August 23, 2019 at 12:57 pm
    He will do anything it takes to win.

————

He will do anything it takes to win. Including CHEATING

——————

Since the league fixed the ball inflation protocol Brady has gone to 3 Super Bowls in a row. So either he didn’t cheat or it didn’t matter a lick.

29. Thetruthspeaks says:
    August 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm
    —————————
    That has to be the most ironic user name on here. We were arrogant long before Brady came here.

30. All these guys that like to say no one ever really hits Brady crack me up. I know Suggs and Von Miller and several other guys around the league are actually quite proud of the beatdowns they have laid on Brady. But if you think they are all soft and wrong I think you should go find them and tell them. You can pick any one if them you want or if you want a recommendation I’m going to say go for Miller. Ask him to re-enact what he did to Brady so you can pop right back up and tell him how weak it was. Laugh in his face. Then go looking for Suggs. Im sure it will be fun.

31. Thetruthspeaks says:
    August 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm

————————————————————————————
    Except Most people don’t consider footballs dropping PSI due to natural weather to be “blatantly cheating”.

Plus the 2 stolen draft picks were worse than suspensions. The stolen draft picks are permanent. The Pats will never get to trade those players or to receive comp picks. That amounts to many years of suspensions.

“integrity of the game” and “transparency” were terms that were blabbered by Roger in several public appearances in 2014….but the opposite of both integrity and transparency were soon on display when Roger decided to hide the PSI data from the 2015 NFL season.

It seems that someone didn’t want to have to give back the 2 stolen draft picks just because science doesn’t lie.

32. boiler72 says:
    August 23, 2019 at 2:11 pm

———-
    Yeah…..taking your team to 9 SBs and winning 6 of them is a real snooz-fest. I wish my team was that boring

33. Great Tom, the NFL rules are so slanted to the offense that you can run with the ball and never worry about taking a hit.

34. SWFLPC.INC says:
    August 23, 2019 at 6:35 pm
    boiler72 says:
    August 23, 2019 at 2:11 pm

———-

——————
    Actually if he was truly bored then he would not have all that emotion to hate with.