Gronk: I could come back, but I don’t see it in foreseeable future

Getty Images

Former NFL tight end Rob Gronkowski has announced what he’ll be working on now that he won’t be playing football for the Patriots on Sundays this fall.

At an event in New York, Gronkowski announced that he will be an advocate for the NFL and sports leagues to open to door to players using CBD products — namely CBDMEDIC — to aid in pain relief. CBD is currently on the NFL’s list of banned substances.

Gronkowski said he was “not in a good place” as a result of the injuries he suffered over the course of his NFL career and echoed some of what Andrew Luck said last weekend about losing the joy in life because of the chronic pain that came with playing pro football. Gronkowski said that using CBD has helped him feel “pain-free” for the first time in a decade.

Gronkowski also addressed the possibility that he’d return to the NFL. He didn’t slam the door shut, saying it “could be the case” in six months or several years before adding that he doesn’t feel close to being mentally able to return right now.

“I truly don’t see it in the foreseeable future,” Gronkowski said.

That leaves the matter open enough that people will continue to wonder if the tight end will be back on a football field one day while Gronkowski focuses on the chapter of his life he revealed on Tuesday.

74 responses to “Gronk: I could come back, but I don’t see it in foreseeable future

1. I don’t think he’s coming back or that he should come back. A 30 year old ex-player that cannot be pain free without taking drugs should not be coming back to play and make it worse. Obviously his talent would help the Patriots, so as a selfish fan, it would be great to have a talented TE out there, but Gronk did his part and should stay retired.

2. I think the NFL has reached a tipping point where the star players make enough money in a few years that they choose to just walk away from the game rather than put up with the pain.

What was shocking when Barry Sanders did it is about to become commonplace.

3. What was shocking when Barry Sanders did it is about to beco

Thanks for sharing that Captain Obvious.

Gronkowski will be swayed by the courage Luck displayed and the fanboys will just have to suck it up if possible.

4. I think it’s been proven that CBD and marijuana are much better than handing out opioids like candy. I’d rather take CBD than take the risk of becoming addicted to painkillers. Not to mention opioids just block pain, they don’t reduce inflammation or do anything to help you recover.

5. This Pats fan thinks Gronk’s the greatest, and could come back, but for his health stay retired. Dude you’ve nothing to prove, and your body doesn’t need years more of damage. Enjoy life.

6. NFL when will you wake up to reality? Cannabis needs to be 100% accepted immediately. It’s criminal that you pump your players full of dangerous opioids yet suspend them for using a much safer and more effective alternative.

7. carloswlassiter says:
    August 27, 2019 at 10:12 am

What was shocking when Barry Sanders did it is about to become commonplace.

————–

While that is true on one hand, we also see some players showing great longevity in the league at the moment, so I think there will always be a mix.

8. At least Gronk did it the right way and didn’t wait until a week before the season to decide that he had had enough. Unlike some other people that are mysteriously praised for being “courageous” instead of “irresponsible”.

9. “I think the NFL has reached a tipping point where the star players make enough money in a few years that they choose to just walk away from the game rather than put up with the pain.”

Hopefully the league will give up CBDs at the very least if not THC products in the next CBA. If they do that it will mitigate what you are suggesting.

10. I think this is a very cool decision by Gronk. CDB is already a multi-BILLION dollar business, but in some respects its still just starting out. CDB is often a MUCH better option for pain than opiods and I’d be surprised if in the new CBA the league didn’t allow it as a pain management option.

Very happy that he chose not to be a clown wrestling for the WWE or acting (badly if the first one was any indication) in B movies. This is a legitimate business that could do a lot of good. He’ll make good money while doing some good.

As for coming back, I think its a possibility if the NFL changes its pain therapy policies. But not THIS season.

11. I think Gronk will come swinging in like Tarzan off the top rope sometime this fall. He has a flare for the theatrics. If he doesn’t I won’t be upset. I just think that would be a very Gronk thing to do. I think his competitiveness and his love for the big stage will be what attracts him back to the stage.

Besides the Pats have a lot of cap space. More than double of what they normally carry into a season. Until the cap space is gone there will be a shot.

12. Forget it, people. He’s done. And there is no “other” future. He’s not returning at age 33 or 34.

I am not sure why he keeps talking about it either.

13. Gronk’s the greatest and was fun to watch, but no problem letting him step aside and let a new face emerge as a star.

14. Vasteelerfan says:
    August 27, 2019 at 10:27 am

What was shocking when Barry Sanders did it is about to beco

Thanks for sharing that Captain Obvious.

———————————————————————————
    Wow. This dude is still salty over the AB and Bell disasters.

15. So, gonna plug CBD products, huh?

Well, do good there and maybe you can advance on up to Copper Fit.

16. Gronkowski then explained that he suffered severe internal bleeding in his quad. Two weeks after the Super Bowl, he had 200 ml of blood removed from the leg, then another 500 ml a week after then, then another 300 ml. In total, Gronkowski had a liter of blood removed from his leg within a month after the Patriots’ Super Bowl win over the Los Angeles Rams.

17. If Gronk is now using CBD’s as a pain manager, he’d fail any test that would allow him back to play in the NFL with a 4 game suspension….. not sure if he’s being tested now as that’s what happen with Watson, he retired & was taking whatever & got tested then he had to serve a suspension as a result if he wanted to come back……
    I just don’t see GRONK coming back this year & maybe never again….. he’s set for life & his body isn’t getting abused anymore…….
    I’m over him hanging up his cleats & looking forward to seeing how the Pats continue to adjust to the talent available now either with who’s currently on the team or thru a trade & in upcoming drafts……

18. I was a stoner for years before I woke up and realized that marijuana was holding me back. I understand that CBD is not psychoactive but I also know for a fact that the only thing it’s been clinically proven to help with is seizures. It’s possible that it may have other benefits but this has not been medically proven

19. Obviously as a Patriots fan I would be thrilled to see him back in uniform, but he has taken a beating over the years and should just stay retired. Enjoy the millions of dollars you made, get your body healthy again and just enjoy life. He proved everything he possibly could have on the football field. Why risk further, potentially long-term, bodily damage? He really didn’t seem like he was having fun anyway these past two or three seasons. Live your life, Gronk.

20. CBD banned. Addictive painkillers shot up before, during and after games are fine though. Ladies and gentlemen the stupidity of the NFL drug policy in a nutshell.

21. tylawspick6 says:
    August 27, 2019 at 11:05 am

I am not sure why he keeps talking about it either.
    ____________________________________________

People ask him about it. He answers their question.

That’s why.

22. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    August 27, 2019 at 11:29 am
    If he returns it will be for a different team.

Sorry, as much as you want him to play for your Jets, Gronk is not coming out of retirement.

23. Della Street says:
    August 27, 2019 at 10:10 am

CBD should be available to athletes. As should marijuana.

—-

CBD should be available to everyone. As should marijuana.

I fixed it for you.

24. 54thtimeisthcharm says:
    August 27, 2019 at 10:04 am
    HEY! Look at me!!!!

————————-
    He was answering an asked question by the media. He was there on a different topic but in the face of Lucks decision recently all other recent retires that went out on top (its fair to say Gronk did) are going to get asked to comment several times.

Also note that he is saying how much CBD has been helping him. Thats actually good that in retirement he was able to turn to something that can help deal with what he had done to his body. But also, if thats what he has been doing then there’s your true final answer on any return. Because it means that if he ever went active again he would (by todays rules at least) promptly flunk a drug test.

25. “I also know for a fact that the only thing it’s been clinically proven to help with is seizures. It’s possible that it may have other benefits but this has not been medically proven’

Wrong its medically proven to help with pain, seizures, nausea brought on my chemotherapy drugs and numerous other applications.

26. I don’t understand why Luck is being called courageous for getting out early and walking away while he still can but nobody describes Gronk’s retirement in the same way. While they’re the same age, Gronk not only took a much bigger beating but endured a lot more pain and suffering. The 4 back surgeries alone are more than what Luck went through. I commend both players for getting out before it was too late but I don’t understand why one player is being held in higher regard than the other

27. “So Gronk is hawking party favors go figure.”

Um, CBDs have zero psychoactive effect, ie than cannot get you high. Educate yourself instead of making clueless comments.

CBDs are the component that is scientifically proven as a painkiller and that’s it, no side effects.

28. Come back for one more year just to terrorize Bills fans again, Gronk.

You know you can’t beat that. 🙂

29. So Gronk retired closer to the reason Luck did than the hate NE piece Tom Curran did. Amazing how if you want to know the truth ask the player and don’t rely on the media analyzing a situation.

30. “I don’t understand why Luck is being called courageous for getting out early and walking away while he still can but nobody describes Gronk’s retirement in the same way.”

+++++++++++++++++++++
    First, neither’s decision is courageous, that is a put up job by Indy.

Second, Gronk is a Pat.

Third, Luck is a QB, #1 draft pick, Stanford grad, destined for greatness from high school.

31. NFL football is a brutal sport. Too bad the NFL seem to be kicking and screaming to recognize what’s going on with their players. First, it was CTE and now allowing something safe for pain relief. If the fans and media were clamoring for it like they did replay, I’m sure something would have been done years ago.

32. If CBD is so unbelievably wonderful and helpful, how come states that legalize weed have every CBD proponent and shop dry up quicker than AB’s common sense?

33. Gronk will be back . Just wait until Booker T puts the smack down it on him in the wrestling ring!!! He’ll be back soon enough..!!

34. Wow. This dude is still salty over the AB and Bell disasters.

You couldn’t be more wrong…..as usual. I don’t live in the past like you fanboys….but nice try. I am enjoying the angsts displayed by the fanboys over missing Gronkowski……all that is missing is the drool.

35. Good for Gronk. No matter how big or strong a player is, they are humans and like all humans, are susceptible to injuries playing a violent sport. After a bunch of injuries, the stress on your mental and physical wellness takes too much of a toll and the only way to feel better is to do what Gronk, Luck, and many others have done and retire from football. I love that he’s encouraging the NFL to stop contributing to the opioid crisis and start slowing the players to use a non-addictive substance to help with pain from injuries. Painkillers are necessary after a major injury or surgery, but should be for short term use.

36. To the moron who said look at me…what happens to most retired football players? They either go in the booth or who the hell knows? Probably find a beach and golf for 30 years OR they get regular jobs, high paying, but regular jobs where they have to put in 40 hour work weeks OR invest, which can be risky to a degree. This dude is keeping himself in the public eye, keeping himself in the public’s eye so he could come back but still well known to the average fan aka giving himself options where he can call his own shot. So yeah, it is look at me but it’s a damn smart move

37. It reminds me of Tyson saying he was going to eat Holyfield’s kids, insane comment but dumb like a fox. Still getting paaaaaaid and movie rolls as a polarizing figure, very little to do with how great a boxer he was

38. Why would he come back? He’s living the life and he doesn’t need the money. Also, he’s not getting any younger which means the injury situation will likely get worse. What does he have to prove? Just enjoy being retired.

39. stillabengalsfan says:
    August 27, 2019 at 12:02 pm
    Della Street says:
    August 27, 2019 at 10:10 am

CBD should be available to athletes. As should marijuana.

—-

CBD should be available to everyone. As should marijuana.

I fixed it for you

———
    Is there a place you can’t get CBD? It’s not illegal. It is available to everyone.

40. Gronk isn’t coming back watch his press conference he even admits the toll football had on him. He was promoting CBD and THC use for athletes as a substitute to opioids. Party on Gronk!

41. Vasteelerfan says:
    August 27, 2019 at 1:20 pm

————————————————————————————-
    I’m wrong? As usual? Have you gone back and looked at the predictions you’ve made about the Steelers for the last 10 years? Oh boy, not even close!

42. I don’t understand why Luck is being called courageous for getting out early and walking away while he still can but nobody describes Gronk’s retirement in the same way. While they’re the same age, Gronk not only took a much bigger beating but endured a lot more pain and suffering. The 4 back surgeries alone are more than what Luck went through. I commend both players for getting out before it was too late but I don’t understand why one player is being held in higher regard than the other
    ——————————————————————–
    hmmmm IDK maybe multiple concussions, lacerated kidney and a leg you can barely walk on my qualify at 29 you may want to retire. Those injuries are only going to get worse not better with age.

43. “If CBD is so unbelievably wonderful and helpful, how come states that legalize weed have every CBD proponent and shop dry up quicker than AB’s common sense?”

Blatantly untrue. CBDs are commonly available in many different forms in every state that has medical or recreational marijuana. Look up medical marijuana dispensary for any state, click any of the links for their sites, and they will all have both THC and CBD only products.

And there are no “CBD only shops”, they all have both THC and CBD products.

SMH

44. vasteelersfan

———————-

Live in the past as in February’s SB victory? Get ready to enjoy more seasons missing the playoffs from your Steelers. We are not missing anything especially the current SB title.

45. Richard Nguyen says:
    August 27, 2019 at 10:41 am
    ——-

says the armchair quarterback from his living room.

46. Florio says few players would give up $200M like Luck did to take care of their bodies. I think he is wrong. $100M gets you everything you want in life, and a lot of these players understand that life is about more than money. Once you don’t need the money and don’t enjoy the game, only your competitiveness keeps you in it. And as Gronkowski demonstrated: that only goes so far.

Of course the situation is totally different for the majority of players who never have a gigantic pay day. I feel for those guys whose financial future requires that they grin and bear it.

47. @paupwarner

Hey, at least I don’t sign up for jobs I’m too mentally soft to do and bail out at the very last minute when I get cold feet. I might not be tough, but I’m more responsible than some jokers about the commitments I make.

48. Allow me to translate. “Give me a call when the playoff are near, and if you pay me enough I will come back and help you win another Super Bowl. Until then don’t bother me, I am not risking any more of my body in this brutal sport until it is money time. In the meantime I will be working with Spielberg and Scorsese, so make the playoffs and then give me a call. Thanks, Gronk.”

49. carloswlassiter says:
    August 27, 2019 at 10:12 am

_________________________________

With the current rookie wage scale, they can’t make that kind of money until a few years into 2nd contract.

50. boyso3 says:
    August 27, 2019 at 12:17 pm
    ——
    I don’t know. A lacerated kidney and peeing blood is pretty horrific. Let’s just say both of them played through some pretty serious injuries.

Also while Gronk did retire early he had been hinting at retiring the past few seasons so it wasn’t as shocking. Then there’s the fact that 29 for an elite quarterback to retire is really young. A QB can play well into their late 30s and we are now seeing them play into their 40s.
    Meanwhile 29 for elite tight ends is not that far off their typical early 30s retirement age.

51. carloswlassiter says:
    August 27, 2019 at 10:12 am

What was shocking when Barry Sanders did it is about to become commonplace.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You are probably right but it would be the guys that just signed the mega-deal 2nd contracts. The NFL will likely adjust the bonuses accordingly. They could make all roster bonuses trigger on week 1 rosters, mandate teams seek return of unearned prorated signing bonus and make holdout fines a league issue rather than club issue making it far less likely for the fines to be forgiven.

52. I’m a Pats fan and completely sick of Gronk. He was a great Tight End. Probably the best I’ve seen play the game but he’s a moron. One of those guys I just want to see go away.

53. rogergoodellmyhero says:
    August 27, 2019 at 1:10 pm
    But the Pats homers told me he’s coming back? Are the Pats homers wrong? Again!?

———————-
    Actually thats been you posting this on every article. Not only have I not seen any Pats fans saying this, most if them were pleasantly surprised even to get last year out of him, but also haters have also been saying hes not coming back, even if thats because they had predicted his retirement the past 2-3 years in a row. Either way both sides if that coin have been saying the same thing. No one expects him back.

54. Looks like Gronk is pretty shrewd. He was granted 302,835 shares and some warrants as part of this deal. Plus he will be launching a sports-oriented nutrition and wellness brand next year. Plus he will get royalties.

I don’t think he will be coming back anytime soon.

55. Read the stories by NBC Sports Boston’s Tom Curran w/Gronk the week before the SB and following hours after the SB.

He’s not coming back. I don’t blame him or any player for not putting themselves through it.

56. endtimesparty says:
    August 28, 2019 at 12:27 am
    Read between the lines. He’s coming back at the END of the regular season

———————
    All full of CBD and ready to flunk a drug test.