Matt LaFleur has had enough questions about the “audible thing”

Getty Images

Packers coach Matt LaFleur coined the phrase, and now he’s getting sick of it.

Opening up to Mike Silver of NFL Media in June regarding the tension between the rigid playcalling structure of the new Packers’ offense and the desire of quarterback Aaron Rodgers to have greater freedom at the line of scrimmage, LaFleur dubbed the sticking point between quarterback and coach the “audible thing.” And now that LaFleur, as expected, has yielded to Rodgers, LaFleur apparently has reached the limits of his patience regarding the topic.

“You guys will just not stop with this audible thing,” LaFleur told reporters on Tuesday, via Matt Schneidman of TheAthletic.com. “It’s unbelievable. What do you want me to say? . . . It’s comical to me.”

It’s equal parts comedy and tragedy, given the way it’s been handled. If LaFleur and Rodgers had simply kept quiet about it, no one would know that there even was an “audible thing.” Only after they decided to disclose the dispute to the public did it become an actual or perceived (actual) power play between 15th-year quarterback and first-year coach — an actual or perceived (actual) power play that the 15th-year quarterback, given his stature and salary, was always destined to win.

So it’s now Rodgers 1, LaFleur 0. And it’s important for the franchise to keep further disagreements between franchise quarterback and neophyte coach under wraps. Of course, given Rodgers’ propensity for passive aggression, future issues likely won’t stay under wraps unless he gets his way.

The next battleground, as Peter King pointed out during Tuesday’s PFT Live, could come in the form of the pace of the offense. LaFleur wants to move quickly; Rodgers may want to go more deliberately. Especially since he now has license to survey the defense and, if he so chooses, change the play.

Thus, the “audible thing” is over. Now it’s time to wait for the “tempo thing” to possible become a thing.

83 responses to “Matt LaFleur has had enough questions about the “audible thing”

1. “Of course, given Rodgers’ propensity for passive aggression, future issues likely won’t stay under wraps unless he gets his way.”

Nailed it!

2. As have we all – Arod is a QB. Part of the QB job is to call audibles. I can never understand why this is even a topic of discussion by the media?? Are QB’s not supposed to call audibles anymore?

3. Lafleur; “Just stop it! You’re going to make Aaron mad at me” C’mon Lafleur, Aaron is always mad he plays for Green Baby

4. Packer fans will tell you it’s nothing. A nothing article! Click bait! And then, they’ll comment almost 100 times on a Viking update about punters and #5 receivers. No, the new head coach admitting the prima Donna QB is really in charge is a big deal.

5. The media creates a story so they have something to write about in the off-season. We go along with it because we need things to comment on as well. Ok, the season is now underway. There should be better topics for discussion. Like the Packers finally have a change in their offensive coaching. That’s pretty exciting, if you ask me. I’ve always felt the Packers were under-coached. I’ve never coached, so I might be crazy, but I’m anxious to see something new. I guess I’ve never had a successful blog either, so there’s a good chance Florio knows the mentality of the average fan better than I do. Lol.

6. Wait until he reads this in the Dump by a Lake Gazette. He’ll be furious, wait they hired him because he is a push over and Aaron can have his way. Whine whine whine

7. As a Bears fan I love that the national spotlight is on Green Bay’s offense and Rodgers ability to produce right away with Lafleur. All of the pressure is on them when it should be on Chicago.

If Chicago’s defense shuts them down (which I think they will), the questions about Lafleur will only get louder.

8. #1 Aaron Rodgers is a great Quarterback
    #2 Aaron Rodgers’ personality and traits make him difficult to co-exist with
    #3 If LaFluer wants to find early success, ride Rodgers’ coattails and he’ll likey find that success.

Aaron Rodgers is one of the least likeable NFL players and one of the last I’d do have a beer with, but I’d still happily take him on my team

9. “If LaFleur and Rodgers had simply kept quiet about it, no one would know that there even was an “audible thing.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Jeez…you kinda brought it upon yourself. You are starting to whine like your QB.

10. LaFleur will get all the blame if this doesn’t work, Rodgers will get all the credit if it does…

11. This really is a nothing issue, but it is entertaining to see everyone get all worked up about it.

12. Packers are already having power struggle issues before their first game. I sense a last place finish for the Packers and their so called “elite” QB.

13. Lefleur should’ve gone somewhere with a rookie QB and been given at least a couple years to groom him into his style of offense. This just looks like a disaster waiting to happen, but its Entitlement town so it’ll be fun to watch. The ‘ownership’ structure really has wasted Rodgers prime and did it again with this hiring. Good job!

14. N E KOCH says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:29 pm
    The Vikings still have not won a Super Bowl

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

And your point is? Packer and pat fans are one in the same.

15. Blown way out of proportion… Today’s media (which is making old journalists roll in their graves) beat old issues to death and want to create something out of nothing. It just proves their lack of knowledge…

16. Somebody throw LaFleur a life jacket he’s drowning in his own whine. Geez better get the Red Cross to Green baby it’s gonna storm.

17. LaFleur at the moment he accepted the Green Bay HC Job: “I’m going to coach one of the greatest QB’s this sport has ever seen!”

LeFleur at the moment AFTER he had his first conversation with said QB: “What have I gotten myself into…”

18. #1 Aaron Rodgers is a great Quarterback
    #2 Aaron Rodgers’ personality and traits make him difficult to co-exist with
    =====

#1 & 2 – is it easy to co-exist with any great QB?

#3 – why not, McCarthy made a career of it??!!

19. Hurricane Aaron is gonna scream off Lake Michigan and blow Lambeau Field into Appleton. What a dump

20. “You guys will just not stop with this audible thing,” LaFleur told reporters on Tuesday, via Matt Schneidman of TheAthletic.com. “It’s unbelievable. What do you want me to say? . . . It’s comical to me.”

Couldn’t agree more. This is simply the media and Florio looking to create issues where none really exist. I would sure hope Rodgers can call audibles. Being the guy right out there in the thick of it, with 15 years experience he darned well better be able to call audibles when necessary!

21. This is gonna implode like the Denny Green thing after the Cards loss to Chicago. Lefleur is will be gone by week 11 with the season lost. Its loud and clear Aaron runs that organization, its not whether Aaron can call audible, that’s not the problem. The problem comes when Aaron doesn’t’ call the audible coach Lefleur would want in that particular situation. Thats where they are butting heads, the both agree an audible needs to be called BUT cannot agree on which one. Rodgers wants to call his but Lefleur want him to call the one he has called for that play during the week of practice.

Aaron didn’t play at all in the pre-season, where you can work on things like this. But you Sconnies think he’s gonna walk into the North’s champs house and win. Throw for 3 TD and 350 yards. Its gonna take a few games to find his stride and by then the Packers could be trailing the Vikings and Bears by2-3 games.

Front office needs to sit these two down,tell them to play nice and keep stuff like this in house.

22. thetooloftools says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:06 pm
    And then the media screams when coaches and players are asked questions they should have never been asked to begin with and refuse to answer them.

========================================
    Exactly so.
    BTW, can you imagine this circus happening in New England?

23. “It just proves their lack of knowledge…”
    ==========

Um, no, knowledge is not what they lack.

24. chickensalad43 says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:12 pm

—————

You literally got this backwards. There’s no pressure on GB. New head coach, new scheme, QB didn’t play a snap in preseason. There are no expectations. If they lose, people will say the new system takes time. If they win, good for them.

Now the Bears on the other hand. Defending NFC north champs, #1 defense in the NFL. All the pressure is right there. If they lose, people will be questioning Trubisky immediately. And heaven forbid they miss a single field goal this year, the mismanagement of the kicking situation will be front and center.

25. Dublin Demons says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:37 pm

—————————————————————————————-

I suppose you’d say the say thing about Wrigley Field and Fenway Park too. You can call it a dump all you want, but the fact is that dump holds more championship trophies than any other dump.
    Remember — it’s called the Lombardi Trophy for a reason!!

26. mikethevike11 says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:36 pm

——————————————————————————————

You Vikings fans are really grasping at straws, as usual. Last year you all said the NFL should just hand the Lombardi Trophy to them in August!!!! What a joke!! Look at your team. The best QB you have ever had was a well worn Brett Favre!! You have Kirk Cousins now — a guy the Redskins didn’t even want — and a guy you gave 84 million dollars to! What has he and your Vikings ever won except the ugliest uniforms contest? Answer? NOTHING!! So put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

27. derp363 says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:58 pm
    this isn’t a good sign for my favorite team. seems like this new coach is already getting flustered.

—————————————————————————————–

If you believe all this nonsense, then go root for the Vikings. Their fans are gullible, too.

28. You can say whatever you want about Rodgers, but he’s still the best QB I ever saw (and I’m a Viking fan). Yes, he’s a prima donna. Yes, he’s headstrong and passive-aggressive. But man, can he play the QB position. I’d take him over Brady any day of the week. Rodgers has always been saddled with inferior teammates and coaches, so he hasn’t had the success or the wins that Brady and Belicheat have enjoyed. But when it comes to sheer ability to play QB, nobody in the league can touch the guy. If I had to choose one QB to win a game for me, Rodgers would be that guy. He really is that good. As long as he’s playing QB, no game is ever out of reach and no one can relax until the final whistle blows. I sure wish my Vikings had him.

29. It’s both comical and sad that the media in this country has been reduced to insisting that non-stories that they create out of nothing are relevant. There never has been, is not currently, and never will be a problem with Rodgers and audibles. LeFleur has had enough because this is a total non-story that he has to talk about daily because the media is insane for drama. The Bachelorette and Bachelor are not real shows either. Wake up.

30. v2787 says:
    September 3, 2019 at 4:14 pm

—————————————————————————————–

Finally a Vikings fan with common sense! I give you credit v2787 because your fellow Vikings fans will probably get all over you for speaking the truth.

31. It’s a tragedy Aaron’s head got too big thanks to all the writers saying he’s one of the greatest QB of all time (with just 1 SB win!). Since when is a player greater than all of his team? His ego is telling him that he doesn’t need a coach. He won’t listen to too many coaches around this league… It’s just too bad his talent is wasted, by himself.

32. Only after THEY decided to disclose the dispute to the public did it become an actual or perceived (actual) power play between 15th-year quarterback and first-year coach

—————————

“They”, Florio? I remember when this happened and I don’t recall Rodgers and Lafleur simultaneously holding hands and speaking to the media at the same time. One of them brought it up first. Why are you covering for him?

33. artliedtocleveland says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:05 pm
    Typical media nonsense and I am no Packers fan. I love how you pit the QB and coach against each other over such a silly media created topic. Good job
    _____________

Thank you.
    It’s the very first response posted to this story and it couldn’t be more on point.
    Aaron Rodgers got the goat of this journalist years ago, and he’s been grinding his axe against him ever since.

34. One thin g we know about the Packers is they won’t be making a coaching change for a while. I hope this guy is good. He certainly has a QB to work with, and that’s more than half the battle right there. Rodgers might have a bit of a different personality, but I’m glad everyone isn’t a robot.

35. Good God, man. You’re a giddy little schoolboy with anti-Rodgers stuff.

Easy there, lil’ britches. The Packers are still better than your cursed (mainly due to Fanbase karma) team.

36. I am not going to dignify this with much of a comment, but I will say I agree with MLF that it is “comical.”

I also find it funny that Florio said: “The audible thing is over.” It appears LaFleur scared him a little bit. Try calling MLF a “neophyte coach” to his face. We all know you wouldn’t dare. I realize he is a new head coach, but I also know your motive for using the word neophyte.

The Bears is the only concern right now. Sorry that our head coach has better things to do than answer questions about your false narratives.

#GoPackGo!🏈

37. nyneal says:
    September 3, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Dublin Demons says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:37 pm

—————————————————————————————-

Remember — it’s called the Lombardi Trophy for a reason!!

____________________________________________________________________________

Until they rename it the Bill Belichick because he has certainly more Super Bowl wins than Lombardi and has done more with less….lol The only thing constant has been Brady, everybody else has been plug and play. The legacy and the mystic around the Green Bay Packers is fading and will never be legendary like the New England Patriots.

And just how many of those championship trophies are gonna help you this year? Whadda gonna do pull one of them out like a relic in a video game and get a 25 percent QB boost to win the game? The are totally meaningless to the season at hand. Love to watch drunken Sconnies drool as they tell you how many championships the Green Bay Packers have. At the end of the day what you did last year, a decade ago, 50 years ago does not matter once the 2019 season starts.

38. I don’t know why he thought it made sense to tell a 14 year veteran QB that he can’t audible anyways.

39. flviking says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:33 pm
    N E KOCH says:
    September 3, 2019 at 3:29 pm
    The Vikings still have not won a Super Bowl

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

And your point is? Packer and pat fans are one in the same.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

You’re correct of course. Winners of multiple Super Bowls. Vikings still ZERO.

40. The Packers have had two HOF QB and only 2 Super bowl wins during their tenures. Yeah it maybe two more than Minnesota but that doesn’t matter now that its 2019. Stop it, just stop it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I believe you left Bart Starr out, he’s got 2. The league existed before Brett Favre arrived.

41. Cheese and whine whine and cheese, suck down a brat and prepare for the storm. Aaron and Lafleur are going to have a slap fight every week. Hair pulling and foot stomping runs rampant in the Dump by a Lake. Green Baby fans are humorous in their denial of the future that lay in the gutter before them. By Thursday night they’ll be eye level with that gutter full of packer future. GO BEARS!!!

42. Seriously. Never an issue. Contrived media drivel. Has to be a story even when there isn’t a story. End of story.

43. I agree this is probably getting to be overkill on this story but it is so entertaining watching Packer fans’ heads explode all over their keyboards when these articles get posted.

For those of you saying it’s always been nothing, though, consider this: LaFleur’s offense is based on calling two plays in the huddle and deciding which one to run after seeing the defense. I assume this system has had some success in the past because the Packers hired him to be head coach based on his supposed offensive acumen. It was Rodgers who said he didn’t want to be limited by this system and wanted the freedom to call a different play at the line of scrimmage. You can deny it all you want, but that’s what he said. Now LaFleur says no, it was always going to be that Rodgers can call whatever play he wants, but is he going to call the play that LaFleur wants? If it doesn’t work, LaFleur gets blamed, not Rodgers. Are the two sufficiently in sync that Rodgers and LaFleur would do the same thing given the circumstances? If it takes a while for this system to click, one or both of them could get pretty irritated with the other. And we all know Rodgers is prone to being irritated and being irritating.

44. freefromwhatyouare says:
    September 3, 2019 at 4:45 pm

————————————

I think Florio was just threatened by a Packer troll! Ban him for life Mike!

45. If one of the people that works for me went over my head to get my own management to tell me I had just back off and let the guy do what he wants and do my own planning around that so he isnt ever upset, and then the media started asking me to speak to how that all went down, I am not sure if I could be as nice about it as he has been. Lets give some credit here.

Actually what I would want to do is right there at the press conference just hand the reporters copies of my resignation so my boss could learn about it when he read the next days paper. But what I would do really is find another opportunity and gravitate to it gracefully without ever letting the smile slip off my face. And who knows? Its not impossible that is what Lafluer is thinking right now. The trick is finding and doing that graceful transition. In my field its a lot easier to pull off than it is in his.

46. I look on with humor at the bickering between Minnesota and Wisconsin tribes. The rivalry has no pure sweet hate, its more like a long-married couple arguing. Just different.

47. Dublin Demons says:
    September 3, 2019 at 5:29 pm
    Cheese and whine whine and cheese, suck down a brat and prepare for the storm. Yada yada yada GO BEARS!!!!

——————-
    I’m gonna defend Green Bay fans on this one. I don’t even live in that part of the country but I will still admit wine and cheese are delicious, and the stuff out of wisconsin is pretty good. Also, if you have not tried a nice soaked overnight and then boiled in beer then charcoal grilled brat (with or without grilled onions) you really need to. So sure its a cultural thing up there. But if you give it a try its pretty awesome. Also Im not hating on your team either. The Bears have been rising and will indeed be a threat this year. But then again, while I might root for one specific team, I love all 32 of them. God I love football!! I am so pumped its back. I just survived my last weekend without it.

48. I think Florio was just threatened by a Packer troll! Ban him for life Mike!
    —–
    Seems weird to me that a Viking fan who constantly posts in Packer stories would have the nerve to describe anyone as a troll. Especially a Packer fan….posting in a Packer story.

49. All of you calling out the media for this circus are missing the point. The media has been around for decades.

What it gets down to is that LaFluer and Rodgers need to be on the same page in their communication. Clearly they are not.
    If Rodgers can’t shut his yap about this stuff it will continue.

BTW…I watched Rodgers presser from Monday. I thought he spoke very well about making the offense work. He just needs to shut up about the internal issues.

I don’t think he will.

50. pkrlvr says:
    September 3, 2019 at 6:36 pm
    I think Florio was just threatened by a Packer troll! Ban him for life Mike!
    —–
    ——
    And it seems weird that a packer troll on Vikings stories thinks he/she is not a troll?

51. PFT is awesome. We now have Packer fans, pretending to be Vikings fans, praising the Packers, and being praised by fellow Packer fans. You guys crack me up. Do you all sit in front of the mirror and tell yourselves how awesome you are (no matter what everybody keeps saying to your face)?

52. Well, one game on Thursday night will probably tell a lot about how this is going to work out. Close game, and we willl see what the sideline cameras show as the game gets into crunch time.

53. The hopes and dreams of Viking fans are the fortunes and memories of Packer fans. It’s undeniable. They can’t stand our appreciative attitude and entitled pride as Packer fans. They want some of that. That’s why they’re so interested in us. That’s why they’re here. They can’t get us out of their minds. They want some of whatever it is we have enjoyed as Packer fans, because we all know……it’s been great! I suspect it’s about to be again.

54. Too bad Matt talk with your diva QB #12. He started this whole discussion by taking it to the media. Get him in line or get used to this behavior Matt.

55. If the “media” doesn’t like the answers, they should stop asking questions. LaFleur and Rodgers don’t proactively look for audiences. They are asked questions, and they respond.

If the responses don’t match the narrative they’re selling, it’s a cover-up, or disingenuous, or self-serving……none of which is true.

The trolls seem desperate to assassinate Rodgers’ character. Why?

Envy. Plain and simple.

56. stellarperformance says:
    September 4, 2019 at 10:02 am

The trolls seem desperate to assassinate Rodgers’ character. Why?

Envy. Plain and simple.
    ————————————

Nobody has to “assassinate” Erin Rodgers character, he does that all on his own. Cris Carter was one of my favorite players ever but I have no problems calling him a complete jerk.

57. If LaFuer can’t handle the easiest place to be a HC from a media standpoint that isn’t good. The GB/ Wi press is a bunch of homers because if you aren’t they pull your credentials.