Odell Beckham plans to keep wearing his watch

Getty Images

Odell Beckham appears to feel the same way about his watch that Antonio Brown felt about his old helmet.

The Browns wideout wore a $350,000 watch during the team’s loss to the Titans last Sunday and word from the league was that his choice of accessory was a violation of league rules. The league was expected to address the issue with Beckham and the Browns without any discipline being imposed.

Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reports that Beckham said on Tuesday that he plans to wear the watch again in Week Two against the Jets. He also said that he feels it is only an issue because he is wearing the watch and that there would be no issue at all if the watch cost $20.

Beckham added that he wants it to be “about football, not the watch.” His approach to making things about football instead of the watch is sure to leave some scratching their head.

196 responses to “Odell Beckham plans to keep wearing his watch

1. Even despite the question who needs a watch to play football, you gotta wonder exactly what reality these football players actually live in.

2. If it was about football and not the watch he wouldn’t be wearing it. Maybe this clown needs to have a sit down with Jim Brown ?

3. The only people making a deal out of the watch is the media. None of us would have had any idea he was wearing it if it wasn’t for you.

Let’s see you go after the ridiculous giant diamond studs these guys wear on both ears on the field now.

4. He feels he’s above the law and can pay the fines and costs of the watch and for awhile he can, the he’s going to wake up broke one day and wish he had all the money he foolishly threw away.

Having said that, go Brownies!

5. This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up till then people just carried pocket watches.

Pulp Fiction.

6. I hope he has insurance on it… if he doesn’t, he really isn’t that smart. If he needs to know the time during the game that bad, a $20 watch makes more sense. He’s going to put it up for sale in about 5 years anyway, when he’s going broke.

7. Lost 43-13! No Discipline on this Team under Freddie! 18 Penalties for 182 Yards! Should have kept Gregg Williams!

8. I can’t decide if he’s dumb enough to believe the things he’s saying or if he’s just trying to get picked up by the Patriots. They can’t sign everybody, you know.

9. What is wrong with these guys?! Can they not just play the game?! Everyday its something new!! They need to look in the mirror and ask themselves where they would be today without the NFL. My guess would be ON THE STREETS, with the way some of these idiots act!!!

10. “He also said that he feels it is only an issue because he is wearing the watch and that there would be no issue at all if the watch cost $20.”

Um, yeah, and here we get to the nub of it, don’t we? If it only cost $20 you wouldn’t be wearing it. The reason you’re wearing it is because it cost $350,000. You’re just being you, we get it.

11. My thing is, who leaked the price of the watch to the media?? OBJ obviously as he’s saying if it was $20 then it wouldn’t be a big deal. So there you go folks, these new age girly men are special!

12. Well, it looks like the NFL players will turn into NASCARs. Every player can do whatever he wants. No respect for league rules, authority, or being a team. It’s all about the “me”. We all know when this started and when the League didn’t stop it, they empowered the players to do whatever they want. Everyone is replaceable, The NFL existed before these Divas and it’ll exist long after. Make them follow the rules, if they don’t – the don’t play and don’t get paid. Next man up.

13. We are finally inching away from the Kapernick saga and then some of the most visible guys in the game just make it IMPOSSIBLE to root for them or the league. Just shaking my head…

14. As a cleveland fan I just wish he would let his play do the talking. The watch sure didnt help us last week. It also doesn’t help that obj will only run 3 routes and wont take hits across the middle. He compared him self to an expensive car the other day. It’s looking true. Looks good to drive in but god forbid it’s not perfect weather, it snows or rains and it’s all over the road and isnt so fast anymore , might look good but isnt always the best a getting the job done. I talked my self into liking this trade, I hope he can prove people wrong.

15. I am so sick and tired of hearing about these guys. In the new CBA they should make a rule that if a player refuses to comply with the league on an issue the fine will start at 250,000 and go uo from there.

16. Captain Koons : The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He’d be damned if any slopes gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy’s birthright, so he hid it, in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

17. Probably didn’t pay for it and has to wear it during games as part of the deal. The bigger the uproar the better for the company that makes those watches, never heard of it before Sunday.
    Now I won’t go and get one unless I sell the house the car the wife and the kids.

18. While he appears to be STUPID enough to wear a $350K watch onto the football field, I would bet it was given to him for free as an endorsement.

That said, the NFL cannot let you wear something with glass on your wrist that could easily shatter and go in someone’s eye.

19. Refs can keep him from playing with it on. They’ve done it with guys who have tried wearing the wrong cleats

20. Fun fact…
    The cap hit for the Patriots top four…. FOUR receivers is lower than OBJs.
    and three of them had more yards last week than Odell….
    but you keep ballin that Mielle playa

21. He’s ridiculously immature. He has a chance to change the narrative and all he does is continue to validate the mess that’s said about him. Seeking attention is more important than winning to him.

22. Purpose of a watch:

1. Telling time or date
    2. Fashion statement
    3. Possible heart rate information depending on model

With that said…take off the watch.

23. We are seeing the beginning/middle of the decline of football. A $350,000 watch, really! How many people watching that clown have a total net worth of that amount? Kneeling during the anthem, crying about helmets, crying about watches, already wearing chains on the field, poisonous agents, crimes committed. Football is not good enough to survive all of this.

24. pigskingal says:
    September 10, 2019 at 1:08 pm

———————–

Did you really think that sticking him in the Cleveland Hype Factory alongside Baker Mayfield would encourage maturity?

25. tvguy22 says:
    September 10, 2019 at 12:37 pm
    Golly gee, endorsement deal perhaps?

——————————————–

I think it’s just Odell looking for attention. Not sure how much an endorsement needs to be worth in order for him to keep wearing a watch and potentially fined $12k or whatever per game.

And if this is an advertisement strategy, they’re doing it in front of the wrong crowd. How many fans can actually afford to buy this watch (or brand).

26. Over the last 20 or so years it feels like wide receivers have been trying to one up each other with their lack of self awareness and questionable decisions. It’s all so exhausting now.

27. Step one for getting traded to the Patriots – Get into a spat with the league office over something really stupid.
    Step 2 will be to then punish your team for your displeasure with the league office.
    And so it goes.

28. OBJ is an ass, Jarvis Landry is a cheap shot artist. Not a big Mayfield fan but I feel sorry for him being stuck with these two idiots.

29. Maybe it’s one of those Dick Tracy secret watches that lets him communicate with coaches and even spy on the defense.

OBJ needs to step up his game if he wants to get the attention AB gets.
    A watch won’t cut it, he needs something special, maybe a third eye surgically attached.

30. 4hourelection says:
    September 10, 2019 at 1:12 pm
    As a Patriot fan of 50 years, it pains me to say this, but, I hope that the Jets beat the Browns silly.

******************************
    As a fan of neither of those teams, I agree! Browns took the offseason crowning away from the Vikings this past offseason. Their team is a bunch of loud mouths who can’t back it up. Mayfield will be a bust. BOOK IT!

31. What a complete clown… who needs a wristwatch during the game?????
    What is wrong with these players in today’s game????

32. Yea I remember the good old days when player protested for social justice. now they protest to wear a $350,000 watch. Is there not justice in this world today!

33. Only reason the league has a problem with this is they aren’t making money on it themselves. Get the maker to pay for the privilege and they’ll require every player to wear the correct make and model in team colors. Probably have flashing neon lights and a siren that goes off when the wearer makes a play.

34. OBJ plays football as a means to earn money on social media. Probably makes as much money from his Instagram account as he does playing football. Sad, but this is the world we live in.

35. What is he going to wear next, a brass knuckle? Watches are dangerous weapons when it is worn by a player on the field. The league should fine him if he wears it again or they should not allow him to play if he wears it. What if he decided to wear track shoe cleats.

36. Don’t try to be AB, Odell. AB is street smart, he had to be growing up in Liberty City. You can’t just copy his blueprint.

37. This is stupid. Did you wear a watch during practice during Junior High? Nope, neither did I. How about in high school? Nope, neither did I. What about in college? Nope, not there either. Please Odell, there’s still time to recover your image. Please stop speaking/writing/twittling words. Please stop with manufactured drama. Please get healthy and prove you’re a team guy, and show us that you’ve still got it. You’ll be able to buy 10 of those watches with just the additional endorsement money alone that will come your way.

38. wayleftfield says:
    September 10, 2019 at 1:57 pm
    I’m surprised he isn’t playing for the Patriots.
    ——————-

It does look like he has started working on that.

39. Where else does he have to be on gameday? He left something in the oven? Maybe he thinks the game clock and his watch tell the same kind of time. 🤔 Oh, Odell.

40. thetooloftools says:
    September 10, 2019 at 1:30 pm
    @ dalvar1001 – Their is no I in team, but their is an ME. That looks like what he is making it all about
    ————–
    But there is an I in their…

41. “I don’t care about the safety of those around me.”

-The league should fine him.
    -Refs should not let him on the field if he is wearing the watch, including stopping the game and assessing the team a delay of game penalty if he tries to enter the field of play wearing the watch. (or, call it similar to the safety rule about removing your helmet)
    -If he tries to enter the field with the watch on more than once a game, eject him.

Pretty simple to control the behavior of a player in this situation.

42. dalvar1001 says:
    September 10, 2019 at 12:41 pm
    The is no I in team. What does wearing your watch do for the browns.
    ———————————————————————-
    It helps them know what time it is! Lol

43. daysend564 says:
    September 10, 2019 at 1:01 pm
    If it is about “football, not the watch”, then play football without the watch

Then he won’t get his endorsement money duh. lol

44. So Crates says:
    September 10, 2019 at 2:09 pm
    “I don’t care about the safety of those around me.”

-The league should fine him.

Pretty simple to control the behavior of a player in this situation.

Sounds solid to me.

45. My sincerest wish is that a New York Giant rips the watch off his wrist during a game, taunts him, then throws it far into the crowd.

46. What is it with these bizarre wide receivers, anyway? They all seem to be trying to outdo each other in the weirdo department. I know it didn’t start recently, but they sure are going to absurd lengths to distract from the business at hand: winning football games and earning your multi-million dollar paychecks.

47. This shouldn’t be an actual rule. Who cares if he chooses to wear a watch or not? Several college players have done it and so do athletes in other professions. It just doesn’t make a difference.

48. It will be nice when the place implodes, the bfl is finally formed and football can be football once again.
    Kennesaw Mountain Landis where are you when you are needed.

49. This is not Beckham’s problem. I know you guys are probably tired of hearing Pats Talk but there would not even be a question about him trying to pull this stuff in New England. Maybe the ownership and coaching staff in Cleveland needs to grow a pair tell him take it off or his next stop will be Miami.

50. There’s a very simple solution to “making it about football, not the watch.” DON’T WEAR THE WATCH.

51. Since he has a weak head coach and GM Beckham can do what he wants.

“I was not aware that he had the watch on,” Kitchens said. “As long as they are going to enforce that with everyone, I am fine with that. Let’s just make sure we get it enforced with everybody.”

He said the NFL has already reached out about the watch.

“Yes they have,” he said. “Did they want to put another flag on the field and give us 19 penalties (laughter)? I was being facetious, sorry.”

52. “He’s feeling the heat from Antonio Browns nutjob circus. Gotta ratchet up his own.”

^^^^^^^I love this ^^^^^^

I guess it’s “time” for Odell to get $$$ for a product endorsement deal. Wouldn’t want you to starve. I’m glad you and Baker have your priorities straight.

53. How could Cleveland ever win when it’s best player cares more about his watch than being a distraction for his team. If Kitchens had to answer one question about a watch that’s a colossal waste of time.

54. He made a good point. The watch is plastic. Who is it going to hurt. I rather get hit with his 350k plastic watch than a facemask or a spike . Also what about giant ass braces like jk watt and other guys wear from their arms to their knees. Some of these guys have a suit of armor almost. Any other player and this doesnt even get noticed .

55. I would suggest that the league fine players a flat percentage of their salary. $10K fines sound like a lot to someone making $60K/year but many players make that before 5 minutes has lapsed in the first quarter.

56. tb12bestqbevah says:
    September 10, 2019 at 2:41 pm
    Look at me!! Look at me!! Hey, you, why aren’t you looking at me??

LOOK! AT! ME!!!!!
    ——————————————————————————————–
    You’re already looking at him by turning on the game. The watch doesn’t change that fact.

57. September 10, 2019 at 2:41 pm

——————–

Whether it should or shouldn’t be a rule is immaterial. The point is that it IS a rule. If the players have an issue with it, they should have brought it up during the CBA talks.

Personally, I’d be livid if I were a DB defending him and had my forearm sliced open on a jump ball by this gaudy piece of crap.

58. This reaction is exactly what he wants. He’s probably got some promotional deal with this watch company. The media and a bunch of goofballs on the internet going hysterical over it. If he wants to wear some stupid expensive watch who cares?

My god it is hilarious watching you people flip out over stupid stuff like this. Post some more. Write some more articles talking about how he wants attention. Then give it to him. Amazing.

59. youngnoize says:
    September 10, 2019 at 3:14 pm
    tb12bestqbevah says:
    September 10, 2019 at 2:41 pm
    Look at me!! Look at me!! Hey, you, why aren’t you looking at me??

LOOK! AT! ME!!!!!
    ——————————————————————————————–

————-

It doesn’t change anything for the fans at all. You are right. It’s just creating a distraction for his team for virtually no reason, or maybe a bit of money if this is tied to some kind of endorsement deal.

60. After the Browns laid an egg in Week 1, they need to double down on their focus in Week 2. Glad to see OBJ is distracting his team again, I would love to see the Browns start out the year, 0-2

61. Rules say you can’t wear metal items or similar with a hard edge unless covered in 3/8 inch foam. I think the rule was thinking about joint braces and the like but a watch probably is technically against the rules (unless padded). The risk of injury – getting cut by a watch – is probably pretty low. I think it should be allowed – let’s wait and see.

The other possible rule violation would be if the watch brand or logo were evident. Players can’t wear any branded stuff not supplied by the team or NFL. An understandable but offensive rule IMO.

62. I turned on the game only to see him drop a pass. Shook my head and went back to the RedZone Channel.

63. He couldn’t take Antonio Brown’s name in all 10 “PFT Most Commented” so he had to do something wacky to get his name in there. And, look, it worked.

64. Real easy for the NFL if they have any balls which is debatable…There is a rule…you do not play with a watch on, it is not part of the uniform …so leave your watch in your cubby and play or stay in the locker room with out pay….

65. It’s not hard to figure out who’s face is on that watch. I don’t care if NYG goes 3-13 we did the right thing by shipping him out of here. Where was the supposed ‘all football tough guy’ rookie HC? He had to see this. Yet he did nothing?

66. Why is the NFL such a clown show these days?
    ===============================================

A bunch of millennial millionaires.

67. This is new to the Browns.
    It’s the random type of attention that could be a distraction if they let it get to them.

It’s the kind of thing that you’d think OBJ would be like: “I won’t wear a watch on the field so people will stop talking about it.”

Now are the other players going to get fed up with their share of: “So OBJ and his watch huh?” questions from the media types

68. So eventually his $350,000 watch will get broken. He could have helped families get housing and food, but whatever. It’s his money.

69. dalvar1001 says:
    September 10, 2019 at 12:53 pm
    The is no I in team.
    ________________________________________________________

That’s true – but there’s an “M” and a “E”!

70. I wish Jack Tatum could play today. He’d have a good time taking guys like Beckham and Brown down a few notches.

71. OBJ & Antonio are two children showing out trying to get attention when adult company visits. Look at me. Me ME

72. Chris Simms. Stop talking. Just admit you were an idiot analyst regarding these Browns and Manziel 2.0 and move on man. No need to dig in on idiocy. I really had a ton of respect for you till you started spouting off on the Browns who were 1-31 before going 7-9 last year. Don’t regurgitate what other sloggers and bloggers say. Do your own research. Had you carefully researched this team you would know they’re led by an arrogant punk who thinks he is better than he is. He is unathletic, small and frail with a big ego and mouth. That never wins anybody football games, let alone the dastardly and abysmally terrible Browns.

73. Reggie Roby, Dolphins punter during 1986 – 2002 wore a watch every game…….I may have missed a game a game or 2……but he was never suspended, or fined for wearing his watch…….granted, it was not an expensive watch, but….should the cost of the watch determine if there is a fine or not ???

74. Ellicott Raven says:
    September 10, 2019 at 6:49 pm
    Chris Simms. Stop talking. Just admit you were an idiot analyst regarding these Browns and Manziel 2.0 and move on man. No need to dig in on idiocy. I really had a ton of respect for you till you started spouting off on the Browns who were 1-31 before going 7-9 last year. Don’t regurgitate what other sloggers and bloggers say. Do your own research. Had you carefully researched this team you would know they’re led by an arrogant punk who thinks he is better than he is. He is unathletic, small and frail with a big ego and mouth. That never wins anybody football games, let alone the dastardly and abysmally terrible Browns. Simms is a fool he also took the steelers sunday night without his last name he would be nothing.

75. Another freakin’ showboat wide receiver. Why can’t these millionaires behave more like Larry Fitzgerald or Julio Jones instead of like T.O. and Des? Idiot. Another idiot with more money than brains…. Who spends $350,000 on a WATCH? And he’ll probably be broke two years out of football. Disgusting waste of money that could have gone to help some deserving souls….

76. Meanwhile, the anti-diva, Larry Fitz, had a great game Sunday at age 36, that nobody noticed. Over 100 yards receiving, and on his one TD, merely handed the ball to the ref, as he always does, before celebrating on the sideline with teammates. In a perfect world, we’d hear about this stuff rather than $350k watches worn by idiots, or AB’s latest shenanigans. But that’s apparently not how it works. SMH

77. Easy solution for people like this
    Just tell him he is required to wear the watch it’s mandatory
    He will simply do the opposite of what is expected of him
    It’s called reverse psychology and it was invented for people like this

78. So glad he’s off the Giants. Have fun Cleveland this guy would rather show off his watch than win football games. He wants to be famous twice as much as he wants to be a football player.

79. Beckham added that he wants it to be “about football, not the watch.”

How can you be possibly thinking about football with a $350k watch on your wrist, that’s similar to when David Boston wore nipple piercings while playing then got upset when he got hit??

80. I assume that he has the watch insured. What insurance company in their right mind would pay out on that watch with the knowledge that he was wearing it during the game?

My bet is that he doesn’t have the watch insured. What else can you say except: “You can’t fix stupid.”

81. Maybe he can use the watch to show him where to lineup I think it would be awesome if he was in the right position before the ball got snapped