Pat Elflein misses Wednesday’s practice for Vikings

Getty Images

Vikings center-turned-guard Pat Elflein emerged from Sunday’s win over the Falcons with a knee injury. Elflein did not practice on Wednesday, the first full day of work in advance of a Week Two showdown with the Packers at Lambeau Field.

Also not practicing for the Viking was cornerback Mackensie Alexander, who dislocated an elbow on Sunday. Alexander doesn’t need surgery, and he may not miss much time, after all. Consider this exchange between coach Mike Zimmer and reporters from Wednesday.

Q: “How long do you expect to be without Mackensie Alexander?”

A: “Who said I’m going to be without him?”

Q: “So could he play this week?”

A: “We’ll see.”

Q: “How did his MRI go?”

A: “It was pretty good.”

Five Vikings were limited in practice, including linebacker Anthony Barr (knee), cornerback Mike Hughes (knee), cornerback Mark Fields (groin), receiver Josh Doctson (hamstring), and tight end Tyler Conklin (ribs).

Hughes tore an ACL during his rookie season; Zimmer said Wednesday “there’s a chance” Hughes plays on Sunday.

16 responses to “Pat Elflein misses Wednesday’s practice for Vikings

1. Hate this, as Elflein has struggled with injuries since getting hurt in the 2017 playoffs. Before that he was really solid. Still, if the coaches roll rookie Dru Samia out there’s a good chance he’ll stay. Vikes are better with a healthy Elfein, but Samia will be starting at guard before the year ends.

2. I don’t think the Packers are going to win.

aa1829 says:
    September 11, 2019 at 9:20 pm
    No excuses when the Packers go 2-0, take over first place in the division, and never look back. Go Pack Go

3. What about Brent Jones? I thought he played center and guard. I am pretty sure if Elflein can’t go we will be ok at guard. It’s the tackle position I worry about. I hope PE is ok, he has had a tough run of injuries. Pretty good when healthy, but as another poster stated, he hasn’t been healthy since the end of his rookie year.

4. This is going to be a blessing in disguise because quite frankly Elflein is terrible. He was the worst center in the NFL last season & he isn’t much better at guard. Those 2 fumbles from Kirk Cousins and even the other fumble, all Pat getting torched.

This is a team that has the talent to go to & win the Super Bowl. Get rid of Elflein now before it’s too late. Don’t blow it by messing with the O-line like you did before the eagles game. No more experiments.

This team can win the Super Bowl! Bench Elflein. Still Zim’s idiotic self has Dakota Dozier taking first team snaps. Are you kidding me! Get Brett Jones in there now.

Do not blow this again Zim.

I love the Vikings. I don’t love Zim. He’s a good DC but please remove his ability to use the challenge flag & give it to Kubiak.

In fact make Kubiak the HC & Zim DC.

This Vikings team can win the Super Bowl.

fansince68 says:
    September 11, 2019 at 11:37 pm

fansince68 says:
    September 11, 2019 at 11:37 pm

5. vikesfansteve says:
    September 12, 2019 at 7:44 am
    I don’t think the Packers are going to win.
    ——
    You’d be a terrible Viking fan if you did. I disagree however. Should be a good close game though.

6. For all those folks who say Elflein is terrible, he had both shoulder and ankle surgery after his first year. Having experienced several shoulder surgeries myself, I can tell you that the mobility comes back much quicker than the strength. It’s a long slow slog to get the strength back. So I understand him having trouble pushing big lineman out of the way last year. He is only a year and s half removed from that but he should be getting back to normal if that is possible. I don’t know much about ankle injuries, but it can’t be easy for a 300 pound man to move around quickly while fighting for position with other giant men. So again I can understand his struggles. I hope he is getting back to the point where he can realize his potential. But one way or another, it’s too soon to give up on him. However there might be a better option on the bench while he gets back to form. I trust the Vikings to make that call.

7. That’s an idiotic statement. Are you sure you’re really not Rob or Conor McCleoud?

pkrlvr says:
    September 12, 2019 at 9:14 am
    vikesfansteve says:
    September 12, 2019 at 7:44 am
    I don’t think the Packers are going to win.
    ——

8. He’s worse than terrible dude. Zim learned nothing from reshuffling the oline in the 2nd half vs the aints & the debacle vs philly.

He better not make that mistake again. Elflein is great for backup relief but needs to be removed from the starting lineup.

THIS VIKINGS TEAM CAN WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!

ragnarthegreat says:
    September 12, 2019 at 9:30 am

9. Steve hates Elflein but loves Brent Jones. Jones started the first three games last year while Elflein was out. He played three snaps the rest of the year, even though Elflein struggled. Elflein may not be the answer but Jones certainly isn’t, either.

10. That’s the sad reality isn’t it.

Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says: