Sam Darnold out this week with mono, maybe longer

Getty Images

Sam Darnold was out of practice yesterday with what was designated “illness.”

Now that they know which one it is, he may be out even longer.

According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, Jets coach Adam Gase said his quarterback would miss this week’s game against the Browns after being diagnosed with mononucleosis.

Gase said Darnold could miss several weeks, and has lost a significant amount of weight.

They’ll need another quarterback, as Trevor Siemian is the only other one on the 53-man roster at the moment.

87 responses to “Sam Darnold out this week with mono, maybe longer

1. Brock Osweiler is available and he knows the Gase system. Let’s see if the Jets sign him as a back up to Siemian. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

2. The Jets are cursed. But unexplained weight loss in a twenty-something shouldn’t happen if the training staff and the team doctor are paying attention.

3. Mono….isn’t that the “kissing” illness? Like for kids in high school….
    ___________________________________________________________________________

You can also get Mono from drinking a bottle of water after someone or drinking a straw after someone. Its passed via saliva.

4. A lot of people think this is kind of a joke, but it’s not. Mono is from the Epstein-Barr Virus which is very serious and lasts a lifetime. I had mono when I was a senior in high school and it took months to recover. I even sometimes still deal with symptoms of it such as fatigue and brain fog. I hope Sam gets some rest and gets better.

5. Wowie zowie. Its always sometin…. Seriously that can take a while. Had a friend who got if and had it for three months.
    Not something you get over quickly with due to it being a blood infection. Everyone is different with this. Sadly the key to this is rest. Lots of rest.

6. It is literally a joke how New England gets to play the Jets, Fins and Bills twice a year. Easily the divison with the most talent falloff between the top team and the other 3.

7. Besides the player feeling awful, the primary reason to keep a player sidelined after a diagnosis of mono is that the virus causes your spleen to enlarge, making it easily susceptible to rupture on physical contact. In some cases it can take 6-8 weeks to self-limit.

8. It won’t matter because turnover machine Mayfield will throw more TDs to the defense than his own team

9. That flimsy D shut the Bills out until Mosley was hurt. If you think Darnold is horrible, you know absolutely nothing about football…..which is evident from your previous posts.

10. It’s the most Jets thing that ever happened. Now Bell is having an MRI on his shoulder and isn’t a lock for week 2. We all knew the Pats would sweep the division, but do they have to make it this easy?

11. danno2112 says:
    September 12, 2019 at 11:10 am

2 1 Rate This

————————

Your offense scored 9 points in a home last week vs Buffalo and scored nothing in the second half.

Your D blows, your STS blow and your offense blows. This is not news.

12. “The one downside of drafting a young quarterback.”

Really? In 55 years of watching the NFL I can’t remember any other “young quarterback” or any QB for that matter that came down with mono.

13. As a Browns fan – and a fan of the game – I don’t like this. I feel terrible for the man ofc, but I liked the possibilities for the Jets with him, and I want to always play a team at full strength, especially at that position.

Never had it but wishing Sam a speedy recovery.

14. patsfaninphilly says:

September 12, 2019 at 10:46 am

Had mono in my 20’s, bedridden for 3 weeks, felt like crap for months………….

______________________

Had it when i was 22. Our of work for a week and felt horrible for months.

15. I had mono as well. 104 degree fever for over a week and lost 20 lbs. It’s brutal. I hope he gets well soon.

16. Mononucleosis is usually caused by Epstein–Barr virus, also known as human herpesvirus 4, which is a member of the herpes virus family.

17. I recall a Pen. State Linebacker in the late ’90s lost a season and any realistic shot at a professional career to mono. Ring any bells?

I had it in grad school. Lost a month and 20 pounds. Wasn’t normal again for 6 months. Luck to him.

18. jchemengr says:
    September 12, 2019 at 10:48 am

————–
    It’s not unexplained. It’s mono.

19. It is literally a joke how New England gets to play the Jets, Fins and Bills twice a year. Easily the divison with the most talent falloff between the top team and the other 3.
    ————————————–
    Even if Miami is bad right now, I don’t envy anyone going down to South Florida to play an outdoor game, in dark jerseys, in September.

20. dino2997 says:
    September 12, 2019 at 10:48 am
    Browns just got lucky. Baker Mayfield just has to not blow the game.

64 4 Rate This
    ———————————————————————

You mean the Browns have to stop adding a 15 yard penalty to every would be 3 and out it’s defense accomplishes and every 20 yard completion Mayfield throws.

21. Trubisky2019MVP says:
    September 12, 2019 at 11:47 am
    Mayfield will throw a few picks in his honor tonight
    ——-
    At practice?

22. Wow this is horrible for both Sam and the Jets. If Darnold truly has legit Mono he will be out for a lot longer than just this week, I got Mono my Junior year of HS and I was sick for 6-7 weeks. Mono is absolute terrible, I felt like I was going to die, my tonsils became infected because of the Mono. Just horrible. I had to homeschool during my sickness to keep up with my classes. Even after it had left my body I had lost 25 pounds due to all the fluid loss and not being able to eat much without puking. Sam will likely need one or two weeks to rebound even after he’s feeling better, Sam Darnold could be out anywhere from 7-9 weeks if he has a bad case of Mono.

23. lenke08 says:
    September 12, 2019 at 10:55 am
    Mono….isn’t that the “kissing” illness? Like for kids in high school….
    ___________________________________________________________________________

———————————————————–

Exactly !!! The only good thing about Mono is once you get it the virus is with you for life so you can never get it again as your body develops a kind of immunity and learns to live with it . Mono was the sickest i’ve ever been , absolutely horrible illness.

24. Browns set to torch that flimsy D. They may do better with Siemian on offense, though. Darnold is horrible.
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    Because your favorite quarterback is slow and unathletic and completes passes to wide open receivers from a clean pocket, you have no eye for talent. This kid is truly gifted. No wonder Adam Gase looked like he was ready to cry when he made the announcement.

25. brazy44 says:
    September 12, 2019 at 10:42 am
    The one downside of drafting a young quarterback.

———–

Agreed. They should have drafted an older quarterback. Now we just have to figure out how to do that and teams can prevent this age old story of losing their starting QB to mono.

26. danno2112 says:

That flimsy D shut the Bills out until Mosley was hurt.
    —————–
    Shut out and shut down are two different things bud. Bills move the ball with little resistance the entire game. If it wasn’t for the gift wrapped turnovers your flimsy team would’ve lost by 20 plus points. Flimsy was actually a compliment.

27. ut-mono? mono?! you kiddin me?! mono?!…we talkin bout…mono man…not the game, not the game, not even the game, but mono man…

28. crik911 says:
    September 12, 2019 at 11:03 am

————

That would be the case no matter what division the Patriots played in. The Steelers are usually the best team in the AFC North and get curb stomped by New England every year. The reason the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins have bad records every year is because they’re basically starting 0-2. The Patriots win percentage outside of the division is the same as it is in the division.

29. mymanotis says:
    September 12, 2019 at 10:58 am

Same Old Jets. Unbelievable. We are cursed, no doubt about it. And from our new coaches press conference he seems overmatched in NY as well

———————————————————-

I feel bad for Jets fans, things do seem cursed. As for Gase, he was in over his head in Miami, and I thought he was a terrible hire by the Jets. They will be looking for a new coach next season.

30. Agreed. EBV (Mono) is no joke. Had it in high school, was out for close to a month. I was diagnosed with MS in Jan (34yo) and believe that’s PART of the reason for my illness.

31. Yeah so the Patriots are in the AFC EAST. SOMEONE has to class up the place.

Incidentally the Patriots fare pretty well against other teams too. Just ask Pittsburgh, San Diego, Indianapolis, and Baltimore.

32. Yep looks like the Jets are gonna suck again……..now if they beat the Browns (the paper champions) that will be funny, because the Browns are going to lose their next 5 games, 1-6 at best after 7.

33. As for Mono yea it suck I had it also, kicks your butt, kinda like Community-acquired pneumonia the illness wins every time.

He’s gonna feel like crap for 2-4 months? guess what is 4 months long?

34. Mono is a real ripper. You feel weaker than a baby, zero appetite, you are burning up with fever that wont stop (I took so much aspirin it thinned my blood and I would have to stand in the shower many times a day due to unstoppable nosebleeds) and all you do is sleep if you can. Wouldn’t wish this on anyone. Not pretty. Good luck to him. He may be out a month or longer.