Antonio Brown makes the trip to Miami

Getty Images

Antonio Brown is going home. Whether he plays football when he’s in South Florida this weekend remains to be seen.

Mike Giardi of the NFL reports that Brown has joined his new teammates for their game in Miami against the Dolphins.

That doesn’t mean he’s definitely playing, however. Every team deactivates seven members of its active roster every week. (Also, there’s a chance that Brown will be on the active roster and not play, like Malcolm Butler in Super Bowl LII.)

Brown has practiced all week, and as explained on NBC’s Football Night in America last week whether Brown actually plays depends on whether and to what extent he learns the playbook and acclimates to the offense. There could be a limited package of plays. He could be a decoy. Or he could be fully immersed.

Last year, receiver Josh Gordon sat out his first game with the Patriots after being traded to New England from Cleveland.

On Friday, coach Bill Belichick declined to delve into those details. Why would he? The uncertainty could help the Patriots win the game by, you know, 50 points instead of 30.

87 responses to “Antonio Brown makes the trip to Miami

1. As stated in another thread, Brown does not have to play at all. Just the fact that he is active forces the opposition to prep for him and takes time and efficiency away from other matters.
    Maybe BB won’t use him until the Super Bowl – if he lasts that long without an incident.

2. Not a Brown fan.

But I think something that has gone unaccounted with this signing is Josh Gordon.

Do you remember how much attention Gordon got after every practice and every game last year? All while trying to deal with his childhood demons.

Belichick then possibly gets a 9th ring out of Brown and lets him go via free agency in March.

BB retains a 3rd round comp pick for letting Brown go. But most importantly, Gordon has a full year to get his head on straight and focus on football with not much media attention.

Call me crazy…but look at this quote from Gordon on Brown this week…

“Dedicated player, one of the hardest working players in the league,” noted Josh Gordon. “He’s come in here every day and done the same thing. He’s lived up to the great Antonio Brown name, he’s one of the best in the league. We expect that of him to continue and he expects it of himself. He’s a great addition, we’re glad to have him.”

I truly believe Brown is already helping Gordon by taking the spolight off Josh. And shine in on who loves it, Antonio Brown.

All while Belichick gets his guy, Josh Gordon on the right path for the long term and get a 3rd round pick.

Chess vs checkers.

3. Headline: AB puts on his left shoe, looks like he is preparing to play.
    Talking heads discuss this the rest of the day.
    Next headline: AB puts on his right shoe, another step toward playing Sunday.
    Talking heads discuss this rest of day.
    Next headline: AB ties both shoes.
    And so it goes.

He is playing people. Love it. Hate it. Not care. Either way he is playing. Its not news any more.

4. Easier to keep an eye on him if you take him with you! But seriously they could prob easily learn him a couple of simpler plays to get him into it. Gordon started picking at least some of it up pretty quickly – though apparently despite his troubles he has plenty of football smarts.

5. Because Antonio plays for the Patriots the league tiptoes around the issue.. if he played for the Saints he’d be out for the year!

6. Antonio Brown will not last with the Patriots. Hopefully the rapist gets locked up. But shows you what the Patriots ownership is all about considering Kraft had his own dirty deeds aired this off season.

7. Don’t know how long it lasts, but this could be fun to watch. Not many teams are going to be able to cover 4 good receivers plus the backs. Get a win in Miami is the important thing. I’m not just assuming that like everybody else seems to be.

8. I agree with Terry the Ped. The way the franchise and in the end, their fans physically and emotionally abused Andrew Luck, shows just how classless the Colts are. Maybe that’s why the franchise has been in a free fall for nearly a decade. Their fans are certainly getting what they deserve.

9. thewizardsrevenge says:
    September 14, 2019 at 12:58 pm

****************

Patriots’ most recent record at Miami is 1-5. Dolphins coach Flores knows everything there is to know about the Patriots. I’m with you about it being a bad idea to just assume this will be a Patriots win. Chances are good, but I wouldn’t bet money on it, especially at the crazy spread.

10. Might take Mr. Brown a few games to learn the intricacies of the pick plays the Patriots use. Not being critical, every team does it, but the Pats are very good at it.

11. terripet says:
    September 14, 2019 at 12:56 pm

What a classless organization

That’s pretty rich, coming from a fan of the classless (clueless?) organization whose coach instigated the Deflategate frame job out of desperation because he couldn’t beat the Patriots on the field.

12. Under the circumstances, with Miami in this rebuild mode, I expect the Patriots to play the crap out of Antonio.

A bit like a preseason game, give brown and Brady an opportunity to gel.

If the game is s close at all, ok, then take the path of the best available players. But if not … Opportunities like this do not come up every day.

13. How the league looked the other way in his actions in Oakland is total lame. Threatens a GM on practice field with all to see including a reporter covering Oakland and a blind eye. A GM that the league totally disrespected over a player that has had many questionable actions not only with one team but two

14. daburgher says:
    September 14, 2019 at 12:36 pm
    AB’s stepdad came out and said Brown has been crazy since at least age 12 and has always been abusive towards women
    ]
    ===============================================

Consider the source.

AB’s stepfather has a criminal record as long as the Pat’s dominance. He abused AB’s mother and was violent to AB to the point he ran away from home and was homeless for a couple of YEARS, living in cars and on the couches of friends until he went to college. They have zero contact since that time

Is THIS the guy you want to rely on for accurate information???????????

15. To add to billymutt’s comment, Indy not only created deflategate from thin air (nice pun), in their haste to to compete with a superior Patriots team they put a weak offensive line on the field in front of Luck because they kept drafting skill position players. That lead to Luck’s early retirement.

16. Of course AB is going to play. He’ll probably have 4 catches 75 yards and a TD. The league is meeting w the accuser next week so the Pats gotta get something outta their 10 million guaranteed cash they just gave him and obviously don’t care how anyone from the outside thinks of the situation they just care about winning wether it’s vs the lowly Dolphins or anyone else

17. I think Brown *might* behave until he realizes that he isn’t going to make the incentives that are in his contract which, at the same time, means he’s not the star attraction. The Pat’s spread the ball around, and throw to the backs a lot. They aren’t going to change a winning formula just because they signed Brown. He can possibly help them win games, but he isn’t going to be why they win games. Imo

18. I can’t wait to see Gordon, Edelman, Brown & Dorsett in a 4 wide set….. then throw in Meyers on a 5 wide set to see how it feels for Brady to have at his disposal….
    Then after he’s had his fun, go back to 3 wide & 2 RB formation & practice that for a while before calling it a day at 1/2 time so Stidham can get some reps i…..

19. Some here are saying the Pats might lose to the Dolphins. If they do, shame on them. With or without AB.

20. I’m suing A.B because he looked at me funny back in 2016 when he walked past me in the airport, and that’s assault so where’s my money

21. My bet is he’s on the exempt list after his trainer is interviewed and the more explicit details are leaked to the media….

22. My guess is that Brown fields one midfield punt in the first half and is in the offense for ten plays in the second half – targeted twice with two completions for 25 yards.

23. “Since the game will be won by the midway point of the 1st quarter it’s a great chance for him to get in some live action practice.”

Pats are 1-5 last 6 games in Miami.

Thankfully neither Bill, Tom or anyone else with the Pats will take this anywhere near as lightly are you are

24. “The Boston Globe posted a very interesting and informative article on Antonio Brown and the Patriots yesterday. Check it out.”

===============

Well, the thing is, see, I’d have to subscribe to the Boston Globe before I could read it. And I just can’t figure out why I’d want to do that.

25. Bob. Just Bob. says:
    September 14, 2019 at 2:17 pm

———————–
    Actually, you can read it without subscribing. They also have an interesting article translating his emails. As commented above, really shows his lack of literacy.

26. This situation is a tough one for me .I have always believed be that no women should be forced or coerced into anything no matter how they dress or where they chose to go .However if you can lose your job over an accusation or a civil suite than nobody would be safe .The Salem witch trials is the extreme example of an accusation being enough for a conviction .Even with the safeguards built into our judicial innocent people get convicted and it is the reason I have believe in life in prison over the death penalty .AB should have either settled the case or gone to the FBI with what he considered to be an extorsion try.
    As a Patriot fan who like most fans will root for the laundry I hope AB sticks to football and helps raise another banner .As far as the NFL goes nobody up here in New England trust
    the league office to over see a Pop Warner football game never mind meet out justice in a he said /she said case

27. Remember what happened when Brady got Moss??
    Now he has BROWN….
    Throw in Gordon, Edelman, & Dorsett to go along with him & let the fireworks begin…..
    ENJOY THE SHOW…. I KNOW I PLAN TO!!!

28. Let me be clear here first, I could care less either way if he plays or not!!!
    However, if any one of us has done what AB has done and been accused of doing we would all be unemployed. I am guessing TB old lady is not a huge fan of this as well as Kraft getting caught in a jack shack.
    I know all the Patriot fans will say that none of this matters etc but I myself disagree and think the Patriots already have a bad rap for many things and this just adds to it.
    Patriots by 40 at halftime easily.

29. But atleast own the fact all of you Patriot fans hated in AB for years and claimed you would never want him on your team yet here he is and all have those open arms calling him the beat ever etc. That is funny for me to read.

30. kissbillsrings says:
    September 14, 2019 at 2:46 pm
    Remember what happened when Brady got Moss??
    Now he has BROWN….
    ENJOY THE SHOW…. I KNOW I PLAN TO!!!

Yep. 17-14.

31. Remember all the Pats fans that said they didn’t want ABrown on their team and are now calling him the best ever? Yeah, me neither.

32. belichickdominatedjoemontana says:
    September 14, 2019 at 12:37 pm
    Not a Brown fan.

——————————————————————

A couple of points:

1. Brown’s contract almost prohibits any chance there would be a 2nd year. I think he would have over a $20MM cap hit. That won’t happen under the current contract. They only way he’d be able to stay is to redo the entire contract. I don’t see it happening.

2. If he leaves in FA the Pats can only get a 5th round comp pick. I don’t know why, but it just one of mysteries of the comp rules. Something about him being a 10 yr vet.

3. I don’t expect anything close to the numbers Moss put up. While I think Brown could be even better than Moss as a receiver in the Pats system because he’s more versatile, Moss had the advantage of a full off season and TC to learn the system and get in sync with Brady. He also had a fantastic football IQ. Brown has NONE of those advantages, including the IQ (obviously)

I will take him most of the regular season to become comfortable and there will be ups and downs in the process (if he keeps his head on straight). Hopefully he’ll be up to speed for the playoffs. But any Pats fans who think he will be an instant factor in the offense will be disappointed. 3 catches 35 yds would he what I’d expect in Miami.

BTW- there is a lot of language in this contract that will negate any guarantees in his contract. Bottom line, the Pats got at top 5 WR for about $6MM for this season. Atlanta just wrote a check for $25MM to Julio (and he deserved it). THAT’s the Patriot way. 😉

33. How this entire Antonio Brown saga has played out or the last few months, I would be the least bit surprised if he gets in trouble before the first game. Rather if it’s missing curfew or something more serious outside of the team rules.

34. None of us would lose our job as a mailman or a plumber because someone filed a civil suit against us. He shouldn’t get a pass because he’s rich and famous but he shouldn’t be punished more for it either. Yes he’s a jerk, but is he the only one in sports?

35. finzfan49 says:
    September 14, 2019 at 2:56 pm

—————————
    I dont think there has ever been Patriots fans or ANY other fanbase that ever said they did not want Brown on their team. He is a top WR in the game today (but not any “best ever”) What they all (including Pats fans) dont want is his shenanigans on their team. And as far as that goes they still dont. If he starts up that stuff in NE the fans will get just as fed up as Steeler and Raider fans are.

Its ok if you have your fingers crossed. Thats fair.

36. finzfan49 says:
    September 14, 2019 at 2:54 pm
    Let me be clear here first, I could care less either way if he plays or not!!!
    Patriots by 40 at halftime easily.

——————-
    What all has he done on the Patriots? One week of keeping his mouth shut while working extra hard at practices he was always early for. Thats it. The things you are on about are issues he had with other teams, not issues he had with the Pats. Trust if he does any of that on the Patriots he will not be on the Patriots. No one will condone it. But until then this is all criticizing him for things he hasn’t done yet.

As far as getting accused, no most people would not get fired. Its an unsworn statement the person is not opting to make into a sworn one. That by itself (and right now it is only that by itself) is not something a person should get fired over. So I am not sure what reasoning you gave to think that he should even be so much as held on the bench this coming weekend given where that matter stands. If you think it through, that would be a huge mistake for the league. If things develop later where is something more solid (they talk to her next week) to go on then they can sit him or even exempt list or worse if it actually got proven (if those incidents do actually get proven one in particular would be clearly criminal). But currently this immediate weekend letting it have any bearing on football would be the worse thing they can do.

37. I never take any game lightly…especially Miami. The GOAT can handle the game, but for some reason the team doesn’t do well. They better come out of the tunnel full of spice and sass…if someone pushes, push back! I expect Brown will play at some point.

38. finzfan49 says:
    September 14, 2019 at 2:56 pm

———————

Umm, no:

1. Tomlin created that monster.
    2. Oakland enabled it.
    3. If Brown pulls that garbage in NE, he’s gone and I will applaud it/don’t want the antics he pulled in two poor environments, happening in NE.

Get it?

He was the best WR in the league through 2016, but he went off the rails, starting with the stupid Facetime post game locker room, which Tomlin clearly never addressed. Prior to last year, I would have said he’s the best player in the NFL to not show a massive ego for being so great (next to Brady), but his primadonna status exploded and that’s on him.

39. Tashan Harrison says:
    September 14, 2019 at 3:54 pm

————————-
    I cannot tell a lie I check the news every day to see if there is curveball meteor out of the blue. He’s been great all week but my faith isn’t going to return until…well Im not sure. I am fully aware that he could wind up off the team before kickoff for some reason that as if right now Saturday night I have not even heard of yet. But so far so good even if small sample size. And I am not going to rip him for problems not started yet just because I am so nervous they might.

40. kissbillsrings says:
    September 14, 2019 at 2:46 pm
    Remember what happened when Brady got Moss??
    Now he has BROWN….
    ENJOY THE SHOW…. I KNOW I PLAN TO!!!

17 19 Rate This

I do, they never won a Super Bowl.

41. Finzfan49…don’t speak for me as an avid Pat’s fan. I never “hated” Brown for anything. I think he’s quite a talent, and would be on anyone’s team. I don’t hate a player because he’s good at what he does. That’s all these trolls hating on the GOAT because he’s the best. How do you hate a guy who stands up at the podium and says he STILL has to get better, that he has to improve. I don’t see the fire in his belly ceasing to burn. It’s just plain jealousy from fans who, in all likelihood, will never see their team win anything. Maybe the GOAT’S sons will play Manning’s son in 15 or 20 years and we’ll get to see that rivalry all over again…I’ll be here for it.

42. “ l hope he causes drama all season “.
    ————-
    He’s not on the Steelers, he’s on the World Champions who , unlike the Steelers don’t tolerate “ drama “. He will be gone , besides he wasn’t needed last Sunday to beat your Steelers 33-3!!!

43. harrisonhits2 says:
    September 14, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Pats are 1-5 last 6 games in Miami.

————————————————–

Are you seriously comparing THIS Dolphins team to any of the previous ones that had an interest in winning? I can’t remember ever expecting a win in Miami for and I may never do it again but I kinda like their chances against this collection of (ahem) talent.

44. Brown has incentive to behave even if he doesn’t reach his incentives. If he buys in he’s got a shot 20 M guaranteed for 2020. If the Pats exercise that option.
    ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Monday morning that the Patriots added a $20 million option year to AB’s contract for 2020. .

45. daburgher says:
    September 14, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Browns stepfather just got out of prison & is still pissed A.B hasn’t given him any money…lol

46. belichickdominatedjoemontana says:
    September 14, 2019 at 12:37 pm

“Maybe, just maybe BB brought AB in and along for this ride, in part, to give Gordon time to focus on football and not be the center of attention in the locker room.”
    ========================================================================

Maybe, just maybe Kraft brought AB in to get the attention off his own, uh, activities so that they don’t seem so bad compared to this guy.

47. Joseph Savoie says:
    September 14, 2019 at 7:21 pm
    =======================

48. My god, shut up. Now, I wouldn’t argue, in fact, I would agree if you called Belichick the greatest coach of all time, the run has been that impressive but if he was always 3 steps in front of everyone else & playing “chess vs checkers”, why would the organization need to cheat to win ever? Why would they tamper with a player on the raiders? That’s the definition of the rich stealing from the poor. You think a team would intentionally bring in a player with this much baggage to take the spotlight off of Josh Gordon? A guy who is only in the spotlight of patriots fans? Really? You probably thought you were really clever with that whole little fabrication you came up with only so you could smugly say “chess vs checkers” where as you just sound like a complete moron. It’s not “chess vs checkers” to be in a division with the bills, jets & dolphins, arguably 3/4 of the worst 4 teams in the AFC over the past 20 years, either. Nice try tho, dope.

belichickdominatedjoemontana says:
    September 14, 2019 at 12:37 pm
    Not a Brown fan.

Call me crazy…but look at this quote from Gordon on Brown this week…

Chess vs checkers.

49. steelpenguin6687 says: I think that’s just a carrot they dangled in front of Brown. I dont think they have any intention if giving him 20 million. Pretty smart in their part though.

No one should pretend to know what Belichick is thinking. I was just stating a fact. I don’t see them paying 20 M either. He is a hard worker though. If he decides he can work with the Pats a 2 or 3 year option might be on the table. I can see him wanting to end his career with Brady.

50. Yes, Miami is terrible.
    But doesn’t Brady have a losing record in Miami? Like 7-10?
    That must be why he keeps playing. He wants to have a winning record in Miami.

51. I hope the Pats, When they put him up at the team hotel, don’t make it an upper floor…And make sure the couch is bolted to the floor. Jus sayin

52. No one should pretend to know what Belichick is thinking……
    =========================

Along those same lines, no one should pretend they know what’s going on in Brown’s mind either. 😂

53. My guess is all the faux outrage on Brown is coming from Raider fans &teams that will have to face the Pats anytime after week 10 when they will be playing at their optimal level….
    TRUTH

54. Brown will go for over 100 yards and then everyone will be crying some more so get some tissues and soft serve ice cream ready the babies are coming

55. For all those who think the Patriots should have cut him, I’m guessing that 1. they want to see how credible the action against him is, and that 2. they are trying to decide what legal options they have to recover the 9 million in guaranteed money. They are not going to knee jerk this one, they want to follow the correct path. Cry about what you would do, but this is sensible.