Seahawks previously had interest in Antonio Brown but no longer do

Getty Images

The Seahawks showed interest in Antonio Brown before the receiver signed with the Patriots. Brown is a free agent again, 13 days later.

So do the Seahawks, who spoke with Brown after the Raiders cut him, have interest in the Pro Bowler this time around?

Coach Pete Carroll said no without using the word.

“We’re pretty well set right now,” Carroll said Friday, via Gregg Bell of the News Tribune. “We kind of know where we’re going with that.”

Carroll admitted 11 days ago that the Seahawks had “checked into” Brown, saying “Why wouldn’t you, you know? He’s a great player.”

Since the Seahawks’ initial interest, Brown was sued for sexual assault and rape and attempted to intimidate a second accuser who came forward earlier this week in comments to SI.com.

The Seahawks’ due diligence on Brown also came before they had seen rookie D.K. Metcalf in a regular-season game. Metcalf has seven catches for 150 yards and a touchdown in two games.

Carroll’s reaction was similar to those of Sean Payton and Sean McVay, who were asked about their interest in Brown.

“Right now, where we are . . .I like our depth at that position,” Payton said, via Dianna Russini of ESPN. “I haven’t paid much attention. I’m focused on the guys here.”

McVay initially expressed surprise at his press conference when told of Brown’s release and then essentially repeated what Carroll and Payton said.

“You always look into things,” McVay said, via quotes distributed by the team. “We evaluate, but with the situation we have specific to the receiver position, we couldn’t be happier with the guys that we do have.”

70 responses to “Seahawks previously had interest in Antonio Brown but no longer do

1. Ok the frozen feet were funny. The helmet was weird. How did we end up at rape? I hope no one gives him a job again. At least he’s a moron at worst… well I don’t even want to think about it

2. Cooper > Brown ! yet ….. we are the losers? LMAO! Cowboys 2-0 and LOADED with talent. We can only play who is on our schedule… and last time I checked we beat the Saints and SWEPT the eagles…. so STHUP!

3. Of course, they will make a politically correct statement knowing full well that AB is hotter than a baked potato fresh off the grill and anyone touching him is going to get burned.

4. How would any team even entertain the thought of going after him. All reality he should be suspended by the leagu

5. Yeah ok.
    Let’s see what happens after the injuries around the league this week.

But…
    It could be the word is out: AB is off-limits.
    Maybe that’s the easiest way to deal with him.

6. The Poster Formerly Known as Seahawk Boy Mike says:
    September 20, 2019 at 7:27 pm
    Rape will do that to a guy’s reputation
    _________________________________________

Big Ben disagrees.

7. This whole thing was designed to keep him away from the Patriots. No one came forward when he was with the Steelers or Raiders. Almost immediately after he joined the Patriots, the civil suit and criminal probes flew and everyone wagged their fingers at the Patriots, demanding they release him.

8. Cowboys may eke their way to a playoff game by way of winning a weak division. If that happens, they will get exposed in the playoffs, again. “Loaded with talent” seriously stop, I have to catch my breath

9. aj66shanghai says:
    September 20, 2019 at 7:39 pm

….SEE PATRIOTS SCHEDULE THE PAST !5 YEARS MUCH????

10. Good. I wanted us to grab him after the Raiders let him go, thinking he was just another diva WR that we could handle with good leadership.

Now that the assault allegations have surfaced, and he’s responded by harassing the victim since it broke, that doesn’t help his case at all. Any team that touches him will reek of desperation.

Bet the Patriots would have kept him if he’d just kept his mouth shut and left her alone; but he can’t because he’s a child.

11. How the NFL handles sexual assault:

Black guy (AB) gets accused: he should be out of the league
    White guy (BR) gets accused: we’re going to let the local authorities handle it before we jump to conclusions

Don’t get me wrong, they’re both excrement in my book.

12. So let me get this straight. A woman can accuse you of a rape 2 years ago with no evidence and everyone automatically believes it?

13. When a top 5 receiver is available in the league and multiple teams say thanks but no thanks…..not a good sign. This dude went from $30 million gauranteed, to $9 million gauranteed, to zero dollars and maybe never playing again…..All in matter of a few weeks!

I just got off 85 and saw a rather big pile up of wrecked cars with folks rubber necking but that wreck had nothing on this one.

14. This is probably the first time AB has been held accountable for his actions and he probably is confused. It’s one thing to act like a child and get away with it. It’s quite another thing when you’re talking about possible sexual assault. I wonder when he’ll realize what his behavior has cost him. Probably when he’s broke–which may not be long.

And just think, he was celebrating about getting out of his $30M guaranteed contract just a few weeks ago. Now instead of $30M over the next two years he’ll have to make do with the two game checks he got with the Patriots. What a maroon.

15. Looks like AB isn’t the only one who needs a mental health evaluation. Some of these Pats fans who think Oakland or Pittsburgh is at fault for AB’s actions. Truth is your team is even worse because they saw exactly who he was and signed him anyways. So nice try nobody but you Patriot homers are buying that crap.

16. A lowlife for sure. If only he’d beat up women or kids he could join his like on a number of trashy teams. Or if he’d obstructed a murder enquiry he could have a statue on Craven Way.

17. I know where he’s headed. It’s got to be the Diva land of Cleveland or the armpit of the NFL – Cincinnati. He’s not welcome anywhere else.

18. endtimesparty says:
    September 20, 2019 at 7:39 pm

========

Really? Are you one of Brown’s family members or something?

19. tylaws tinfoil hat says:
    September 20, 2019 at 8:20 pm
    +++
    It’s Pats fans. They think their stuff doesn’t stink. They’ve been spoiled by the good fortunes of the sports teams out there for 15-20 years. I get it from a fans perspective but, it doesn’t excuse their behavior.

No one considered Haley the best ever because he has five rings. That’s the mind set the rest of us are dealing with.

20. I reckon Penny-pinching Mode probably only has enough cap space for an undrafted free agent wide receiver. Hence the lack of interest.

21. I am now and have always been an innocent until proven guilty kinda guy. I feel that way about all of the rape accusations that AB is dealing with and look forward to see how it all pans out. In the end I hope that the truth is what comes out. The thing that bothers me is the fact that he harassed his second accuser and did it with pictures of her kids. If they were my kids he wouldn’t have to worry about what the NFL or any of the 32 teams did with him. Sorry, that is wrong no matter how you look at it.

22. The league will put AB on the exempt list in the next couple days. If Pat’s had let him go earlier, AB would have been able to file a grievance. With the recent publicly shared intimidation factor and his behavior stipulations in his contract, the organization should have good legal standing. The salary cap hit will certainly hurt.

Pat’s played it by the book, but never should have ventured down that path to begin with. Jacoby Myers, Phillip Dorsett, and Gunner Olszewski are exciting young players who will benefit. Good team first players.

23. They say Brady is the best football player ever because he has six rings. Does that mean Charles Haley was the best player ever until the Pats won their most recent title?

Yeah, the rings are not the only reason they say that
    He also has the stats and mvps to go along with it.

24. Stop with the “innocent until proven guilty” blather. That is a legal standard, nothing to do with this situation. We all have reputations, his is bad and it is his own fault.

25. bleedingfacemask says:
    September 20, 2019 at 7:54 pm
    Coincidentally, I also no longer have an interest in Antonio Brown…

Dude…comment of the week. Well played Sir, well played!

26. As a Pats fan I was shocked BB signed AB. It’s a position of strength for the Pats. They’ve gone to SB after SB with much less talent at receiver. No need for AB. So I was thrilled they let him go

I’d like to have faith that all teams would pass on his services, but it’s unlikely, so Goodell should ban him indefinitely. Once he clears up the mess he’s in AND gets some psychiatric help, he can file for reinstatement, but not until the 2019 season ends at the very least and with a glowing recommendation from his doctor. (I read the last doctor he went to see, he literally farted in the doctors face and stiffed him for 11 grand)

27. KIR says:
    September 20, 2019 at 8:12 pm
    __________________________________________

I see what you did there… You completely ignored the witness intimidation aspect of the story. In case you didn’t know… It was proven that he did engage in that… Which is illegal. If the NFL has to tell you stop intimidating witnesses… You’ve kind of run out of chances. 😉

28. ricko1112 says:
    September 20, 2019 at 8:30 pm
    Either the Ravens or the Chiefs will sign him. Neither has any problem with what he’s done. NE dumped him over a text…

——–

Can you clear something up for me.

You claim the Pats were upstanding because they cut him after texted threats at a woman, but the Chiefs are morally corrupt?

Add to that, the Pats currently have a player (Chung) on the active roster that is being investigated for drug trafficking.

So again, please explain to me how the Patriots are the upstanding team, and Chiefs are the morally suspect team here?

29. To be fair to AB, I hope that the NFL resolves the situation quickly. The majority seems to condemn AB but nobody really knows what happened. AB is an unsavory character and has handled the situation terribly, but what bothers me is the fact that the woman accusing AB of rape has not gone to the police and is asking for money. That should be a concern for a lot of men who could find themselves in a similar situation.

30. Every cloud has a silver lining. This means the AB stories and posts will “peter” out here shortly.

I was kind of dumbfounded when the Patriots signed Brown but I figured they knew what they were doing. There’s no doubt in my mind the Pats were unaware of the rape allegations against AB. By signing Brown, the Pats gave up D. Thomas who they had hopes would recover and become a force again. No AB and there would’ve been no trade of DT to the Jets. Now the question is, are the Patriots still liable for that $9M signing bonus they gave Brown?

The $9M signing bonus proves to me NE was unaware of the rape allegations because I don’t think they, or any other team, is in the habit of flushing $9M down the toilet. And the use of toilet in this case is really apropos.

31. The furniture throwing incident was just this last offseason but seems about 10 years ago and totally normal compared to the last month. It’s beyond me how anybody could think they would be able to keep him in check at this point.

32. KIR says:
    September 20, 2019 at 8:12 pm
    _______

Its that combined with the fact its not hard to see AB doing exactly what he’s accused of. His reputation beyond this is playing a major factor.

33. I wouldn’t rule out chewin’, cheatin’ Pete and Seattle renewing their interest in AB in a few weeks if they have an injury or two to their WR’s

See Brandon Browner, Malik McDowell, Mychal Kendricks, etc., etc.

Pete likes the bad apples…

34. I am assuming you are referring the Tyreek Hill, who was cleared by both the police and NFL of not only the accusations that were being made at the time, but also of the past accusations that happened in college. You might want to look it up. However the Chiefs suspended Hill while he was being investigated. Meanwhile, while Brown was being investigated for rape, he practiced and played for Pat’s.

____

Oh yeah, they suspended him…. in April…. when nothing was going on, no games, no practice. If it was the regular season, he wouldn’t have been suspended

“you better be afraid of me too” Tell me, whats that mean? Would love to hear what you think about it.

And for a guy telling people to read up on things, maybe you should read more about the Chung allegation.