Vikings cruise to 34-14 win over the Raiders

Getty Images

The Vikings paid a lot of money for a guy to hand off.

The Vikings cruised to a workmanlike 34-14 win over the Raiders to improve to 2-1.

Like in their opening week win over the Falcons, the Vikings didn’t ask Kirk Cousins to do that much. He did have to exceed his 10 pass attempts from that win, but not by a lot.

Cousins was 15-of-21 for 174 yards and a touchdown, which means he’s averaging 15.5 pass attempts per game when the Vikings win.

He’s able to get away with that, thanks to Dalvin Cook‘s third straight 100-yard rushing game.

Cook finished with 110 yards and a touchdown, as the Vikings finished the day with more rushing yards (211) than passing yards (174). Whether that’s a wise use of their cash and salary cap room or not, it’s a formula that Vikings coach Mike Zimmer obviously enjoys.

The Raiders (1-2) struggled with injuries and penalties throughout the day, and look like a disorganized mess.

82 responses to “Vikings cruise to 34-14 win over the Raiders

1. If it’s even possible, this Raiders team is looking even worse than the 2018 squad. They may get as many as 4 wins this year but those will be against those few teams that are worse (like Denver) and perhaps the rare trap-game victory against a decent/good team that is looking past the game.

This is the team I fully expected Gruden to “build” when Son-of-Al replaced Del Rio with the “coaching genius” and threw 100 mil. guaranteed at Gruden. He dismantled a flawed but decent team in need of somw tweaking and purged the team of good talent to the extent that I can count the number of quality players on one hand. This is a now a team of “Gruden Grinders” who are good at brown-nosing Gruden to earn roster spots but are sorely lacking in NFL level talent. And besides his ineptitude at player personnel management, Gruden is a below-average gameday HC.

2. They only way to play Cousins.

Not sure why they put the ball in his hands last week on 1st and goal from the 8 with Cook averaging 8 yards per carry at the time.

3. Our defense is is shambles right now.

That one silly throw by Carr and a few penalties just made it weird to get into a rhythm. We need LB help bad, we honestly just need someone who can tackle or were in trouble.

Joyner (last game) and Riley (this game) have been huge let downs so far. Giving up tons of big plays.

4. somehow, this makes me dislike cousins even more. a total garbage win. i’m sure the viking faithful will have all sorts of confidence that they’re back in the hunt! lol. the name of the vikings game is to make sure the QB doesn’t throw. Welcome back to the Adrian Peterson era- might get you some garbage wins but nothing meaningful.

You think Chicago will let Cook run for more than 70 yards next week? get ready for Cousins to have his worst game as a pro.

5. Solid, convincing, team win.

Cook was outstanding with 110 yards on only 16 carries and could have had more – but Madison and Boone were used to keep the load off Cook. They added 58 and 28 yards respectfully.

Cook also had 4 catches for another 33 yards. That’s 143 yards on 20 touches – or over 7 yards per touch.

Yes, Cousins only threw 21 passes. But he completed over 71% of them.

Defense was outstanding – the Raiders points at the end of the half and game were meaningless.

On to Chicago.

6. Most fans knew Cousins was a waste of salary cap, to bad the front office and HC didn’t see it. He did nothing with Washington, and their fans were happy to see him go. If this team thinks opposing defenses won’t empathize on stopping the run, and making Cousins beat them going forward, then they are sadly mistaking. We all know Cousins will fail in must win games.

I am as diehard of a Vikings fan as their is, but right now I have to pick GB to win the division because we know they will get the calls, and they have a QB that can win a game if needed. The Lions are looking good as well. Until that statue proves his worth, I just can’t back him as my QB.

7. usdcoyotesfan says:
    September 22, 2019 at 4:24 pm
    The Vikings didn’t beat the Raiders, the Raiders beat themselves.

————

Dude. How many years you posting that same thing? Get some new material

Lame

8. Cook should do ok next week against the Bears….He did go for 150+ against, what I’m told, is the the greatest defense in NFL history last week.

9. Growing Rumors has it that Gruden and Carr may not be moving to Vegas with the Raiders next year. Raiders are regressing rapidly and Vegas will eat them alive if not exciting their first year. So many other ways to spend your cash than watching bad football. It is widely believed that the Raiders have a buyout provision in Gruden’s contract and Carr should be tradeable if the new HC doenst like him. As they have been most of this century, the Raiders continue to be a red hot dumpstah fire. The Davis family should sell this once very proud franchise.

10. Dude. How many years you posting that same thing? Get some new material
    ++++
    Hard to take seriously when your fanbase includes Ariani and Cheesy. Good win Vikings.

11. The Vikings and Bears have already fallen below us, and it’s only time before the Packers do as well!

The Lions are THE KINGS OF THE NFC NORTH JUNGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #ALLHAILTHEKING

12. Hard to take seriously when your fanbase includes Ariani and Cheesy.

——-

Yeah , but aren’t Packer fans supposed to be “better people”? At least that’s what I see posted by Packer fans. I guess you are just the same as Vikings fans

13. gtodriver says:
    September 22, 2019 at 4:25 pm

Yes, Cousins only threw 21 passes. But he completed over 71% of them.

+++++

You have mentioned Cousins completion percentage after two games this season, but not the one in the middle. How come?

14. Viking fans should be extremely proud that their team finally fought their way out of last place in the division – at least until tomorrow night.

At least for today, they can enjoy the glory that comes along with being in sole possession of 3rd place in the division.

15. h0metownzero says:
    September 22, 2019 at 5:13 pm
    ____
    Unlike Packer fans I am proud of accomplishs in my life. Not the football team I cheer for. But if it’s all you have I guess…

16. cheeseisfattening says:
    September 22, 2019 at 5:20 pm

Unlike Packer fans I am proud of accomplishs in my life.

+++++

I’m not sure what accomplishs you have accomplishsded but feel free to devote more time to them.

We’d be happy to hear less from you so you can be prouder.

17. tokyosandblaster says:
    September 22, 2019 at 4:23 pm
    Worst 2-1 team in history.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This was the first time the Vikings played LePews offense and defense. It took the Vikings all of one quarter to figure it out, and SHUT IT DOWN, then the Reffs did the rest, want to see the 2 delay of game non calls, that and the other missed calls, for Christ sake the TV commentators were even talking about it!!!? This was a great grind it out smash face win. Nearly every other team is built for passing offense and defense… hahah (I’m a Steam Roller Baby,I’m Gona’ Roll all over you)
    “signed James Taylo”r…. There is NO doubt this conference is going to belong to Minnesota, especially when Stinky LePew and his stinkier Fans and players come to Minnesota and play our 1st string DB’s instead of 2nd and 3rd string most of the game.

18. I’m happy Minnesota won, but that’s all. I’ll be excited if the ground-n-pound works against Chicago. Looks as if Cousins and Carr are the same guy – one just plays for a crappy team. Cousins is more durable though, and if the Vikings keep this running success up Kirk (averaging 15 throws a game) will be able to play ’till he’s 50. 2-1 is better than 1-2. I’ll take it.

19. Do you mean worse than Aaron Jones today?
    —–
    Poor kid only had two touchdowns. Don’t know how he will sleep tonight.

20. The O-line, TEs, RBs, and the entire D looked pretty strong, particularly the LBs. While Carr was under quite a bit of pressure, he sure looked lousy other than those throws to the TE(83) — that TE was all they had going. Nice to go to another home game an not be nervous once the entire game.

21. packertruth says:
    September 22, 2019 at 5:09 pm
    gtodriver says:
    September 22, 2019 at 4:25 pm

Yes, Cousins only threw 21 passes. But he completed over 71% of them.

+++++

###

It is obvious to any knowledgeable football fan that when you are trailing by 21 points in the first 16 minutes of the game, this have gone a little sideways.

Why haven’t Packer fans been telling us about how great Rodgers is doing in completion percentage this year?

Maybe because YTD, it’s the second lowest completion percentage of his career (61.3%).

22. pkrlvr says:
    September 22, 2019 at 6:05 pm
    Do you mean worse than Aaron Jones today?
    —–
    Poor kid only had two touchdowns. Don’t know how he will sleep tonight.
    ###

10 carries for 19 yards, 1.9 YPC average. Total of 8 yards on his two TD runs.

He had 155 yards for the season, prior to today. Now he has 174 for a 3.8 YPC average.

Let us know when Jones breaks a 75 yard TD run.

23. This game went the way most expected but I am glad to see the win regardless. Bears next week. And the Bears have a short week, I hope the Vikings take advantage of this.

24. Your Packers nearly choked that game away, with the game in doubt late in the 4th quarter.

+++++

Your Vikings didn’t score for the final 23+ minutes of the game. Mainly because of Captain Kirk.

I know you don’t like to cherry pick your statistics, so will provide Kirk’s completion percentage for Week 2 (you overlooked it again). It was 43.7%.

25. And the Bears have a short week, I hope the Vikings take advantage of this.
    ———–
    I thought having more time to prepare for a game wasn’t fair. That’s what Packer fans heard before the Viking game.

26. packertruth says:
    September 22, 2019 at 6:47 pm

+++++

————-

27. ARod(in his collarbone) says:
    September 22, 2019 at 4:28 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

A diehard Viking fan would never pick the packers to win the division. Do you believe the packers are going 16-0? Do us real Viking fans a favor and jump on the green and yellow band wagon.

28. Er, are you actually using that argument? The Vikings didn’t score because they didn’t have too…

+++++++

Er, I don’t think you realize that comment related to the other fellow’s comment about the Viking Packer game of last week.

29. Let us know when Jones breaks a 75 yard TD run.
    +++++
    Let me know when a 75 yard td is worth more points than a 2 yard td.

I am enjoying Stefon Diggs’ Treadwell impression. 101 yards in 3 games! Depth.

30. flviking says:
    September 22, 2019 at 7:17 pm A diehard Viking fan would never pick the packers to win the division.

+++++

See that’s where you are wrong.

Fans don’t have to blindly deny their rivals might have a better team or gasp, might, be the best in the division. At least once they grow up.

Maybe you take this too seriously?

31. ARod(in his collarbone) says:
    September 22, 2019 at 4:28 pm

———————————

Bandwagon crybaby Viking fans are worse than Packer fans.

32. packertruth says:
    September 22, 2019 at 7:30 pm
    flviking says:

+++++

See that’s where you are wrong.

Maybe you take this too seriously

@@@@@@@@@@@

lol, see that’s where you are wrong….
    Its a game. I do not take it seriously. I was merely pointing out this so called diehard Viking fan giving the division to another after 3 games. If you cannot be a fan and enjoy the game then jump ship and cheer for someone else. I think this is just probably another packer fan pretending to be a Viking fan along with that derp fellow.

33. packertruth says:
    September 22, 2019 at 7:20 pm

+++++++

——————
    Dude, I don’t care about last week so that’s my bad for not paying too much attention to the context of the comment made this week. I forget you trolls live in the past and carry on posts fitting your narrative week after week no matter what team you’re trolling. So I do acknowledge your point is valid…

34. Sure hope the Vikings can run that well in Chicago next Sunday; if not, I don’t like our chances. It was good to see Irv Smith Jr get involved in the passing game today; hope there’s more of that ahead.

The Detroit win over Philly puts the Eagles in a bad spot, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see them knock off Green Bay Thursday evening.

35. Hey Packers Rubes, border battle 118 was last weekend.And seeing what I seen today Rodgers got his lone TD pass on a free play. The worst 3-0 team in history. Vikes will win the division, they have the better running game.

36. artic19 says:
    September 22, 2019 at 5:54 pm
    And without the help from the zebras. Keep trying Packers you may get one this decade.
    – – – – – – – – – – — – –

Hahahahahahahahhahahahhahaha

37. @packerlies…

7 posts on the Vikings game win story on the same day the Packers won and started the season 3 – 0.

Only 3 posts on the Packers game thread.

And you wonder why we consider you a Packer troll?

38. mrdarkness13 says:
    September 22, 2019 at 8:16 pm
    __________________

Since 2007 when the Vikings drafted AP they have had the better running game I would argue vs. anyone in the division… they have won the division 4 times which was fewer than GB… so its almost like there is more to winning divisions than just a run game…..

39. shaggytoodle says:
    September 22, 2019 at 9:05 pm
    mrdarkness13 says:
    September 22, 2019 at 8:16 pm
    __________________

___________________________________

Still living in the past? Im talking about the here and now……ya know this season.

40. mrdarkness13 says:

________

Oh please forgive me… THIS season the Vikings are in 3rd place behind the 3-0 Packers whos defense is VERY much improved with incrased pressure on the QB forcing more turnovers and holding opponents to under 12 points per game average, and have only trailed a total of 7 minutes during the 180 they have played. They also are behind the Lions whom I haven’t been able to watch as much so I can’t really talk about their play other than all their games have been close.

Enjoy your running game…

41. Congrats on your big win today, it was well earned.
    I honestly don’t care about the strength of the opponent, you have to just beat whoever’s on your schedule, and the Vikings definitely took care of business today.
    Good luck next week against the Bears and the big NFC North battle for last place!

42. shaggytoodle says:
    September 22, 2019 at 9:34 pm
    mrdarkness13 says:

________

Enjoy your running game…

—————-
    HAHA HAHA…..the Packer have played against Trubisky,Cousins and Flacco, not exactly the most elite QBs in the league. You mean that running game your “elite” defensive sqayd couldnt stop last weekend in the second half…….,hahahaha you’re killing me Smalls

43. HAHA HAHA…..the Packer have played against Trubisky,Cousins and Flacco, not exactly the most elite QBs in the league. You mean that running game your “elite” defensive sqayd couldnt stop last weekend in the second half
    ________
    Would you rather have a defense that-

Allows 100 yards rushing and 16 points per game OR 125 rushing yards and 13 per game?

44. shaggytoodle says:
    September 22, 2019 at 11:24 pm
    ________
    Would you rather have a defense that-

__________________________________

3 games is not really a decent sample size, and stats do not win games. Stats are only good for fantasy geeks. Yesterday was a quiz against Flacco, lets see how you do when the tests come. Wentz will be the best QB your squad has faced this year. I know you Cheezers are not used to having a defense but its three games against average to below average QBs.Wentz this week, then Prescott. Id be willing to bet the number will go up.

45. Have fun with your one game lead after 3 games. Can’t wait for December. It’s a marathon… not a sprint. No way the Packers win the division.

46. Wafflestomp says:

###

We’re three games into the season.

The Vikings are one game out of first place.

There is a very real possibility that the Bears or Vikings could be in first place at the end of week 4.

The Packers play a frustrated Eagle squad on Thursday night that are looking to get back on track, the Lions play the undefeated Chiefs and the Vikings will faceoff against the Bears.

There could be just one team with a victory in the NFC North in week 4.

47. Great team win but still not super satisfied. Cousins still looked just ok, we beat up on these bad teams at home. Doesn’t prove much. Lets talk if we can find a way to win in Chicago next weekend. The Vikings could be the worst team in the division. The freakin Lions beat the Lions on the road last weekend, the Packers have a good defense this year, and the Bears are still a tough team. I like our defense, and run game, but not a Cousin’s trustee. I believed in him until the Green Bay game last weekend.

48. Actually, with wins over the Bears and Vikings, there is no way the Vikings or bears could be in first place after next week. They could possible babe the same record, but due to tie breakers, they’d still be behind the Packers no matter what.

49. tokyosandblaster says:
    September 23, 2019 at 8:42 am

________

Talking tie breakers when the season isnt even a month old……..There is a very long way to go like 13 games left?

50. gtodriver says:
    September 23, 2019 at 7:39 am
    Wafflestomp says:

###

We’re three games into the season.

The Vikings are one game out of first place.

There could be just one team with a victory in the NFC North in week 4.
    _______________

Dude, what is your deal?

What I said was: Congrats on your big win today, it was well earned.

Can’t you just accept a compliment when it’s given?

51. Packers fans know the season, is young the Vikings have started 5-0 a few seasons ago and played meaningless games come the holiday season.

The only reason the packers fan were talking tie breakers was cuz someone was saying they would be out of 1st place in a week which is impossible due to their wins earlier… but in true Viking fan form…. just keep twisting things, much like i said they weree mich improved DE. Because of improved pressure and turnovers or hown had 3 games holding opponents under 20 points which they only twice last year and neither of them were Nisky or Cousins.. someone decided that was me calling them elite… but whatever helps Viking fans smile… I understand its hard being one….

52. Alan Light says:
    September 22, 2019 at 4:00 pm
    Convincing, world class win….
    ———————————–
    Uhhhh….no. It’s the Raiders. Everyone knows Raiders are going to Raider and they did. But congrats on winning a game that you should win.

53. packertruth says:
    September 22, 2019 at 7:24 pm

Let us know when Jones breaks a 75 yard TD run.
    +++++
    Let me know when a 75 yard td is worth more points than a 2 yard td.
    __________

They’re both worth the same number of points but one is infinitely better than the other in terms of changing the flow of the game. A pedestrian running back can score a 2-yard TD. It takes an elite one to score from 75.

54. Packer fans pulling out tie-breaker rules to say they’ll still be alone in first place after they lose this week. At the same time, they claimed the Vikings were in last place even though they had the tie-breaker over the Bears.

Bottom line: Tie-breakers are for determining playoff positions at the end of the season. Only losers care about tie-breakers after three games.

55. A pedestrian running back can score a 2-yard TD. It takes an elite one to score from 75.
    __________
    OR it could take some good blocking or a perfect call against a focused blitz… i promise you tre mason formally of the rams isiah powell of the jets or jahvid best of the lions were not elite

56. 2 wins against chumps quite frankly. If the defense actually bothered to show up the first 2 Q’s and on the packers last drive of the game the Vikings might have won. Can’t put it all on Kirk. When they do it doesn’t work, when they don’t they get the W.