Aaron Rodgers: I like the way we’re going offensively

Getty Images

The current Packers quarterback got together with his predecessor on Tuesday to talk about life in the team’s new offense.

Aaron Rogers was a guest on Brett Favre’s weekly SiriusXM NFL Radio show and the topic that’s dominated discussion of the Packers since Matt LaFleur was hired continued to take center stage. Rodgers has referred to the offense as a work in progress and answered a question about how long he expects that to be the case.

Rodgers said he thought it took a while for everything to fall in place with Mike McCarthy, but “hopefully it’s a little quicker” with LaFleur. Rodgers also said that “we’re still trying to figure out how we can best use the guys that we have in this system” while adding that he’s enjoying where things are going.

“But I like the way we’re going and I’m not going to put a time table on when everybody is going to feel totally comfortable. I’m just going to say that I’ve seen progress since Week One where we struggled and Week Two we came out and played a little better. Three and then four, you know, we got the passing game going and a couple days ago we got the run game really rolling. I like the way we’re going, I really enjoy our team. I think it’s a bunch of really good guys. I enjoy the staff and I’m not going to put any time tables, expectations on it, I’m just going to say that I’m really having a lot of fun right now and I think the guys are too and it’s kind of contagious and we’re going to embrace that feeling.”

LaFleur said after last Sunday’s win in Dallas that he thought everyone was more comfortable in the offense and things have certainly moved in the right direction since the opener. Continued growth after a 4-1 start would likely put the Packers in good position to contend for a playoff spot down the stretch this season.

65 responses to “Aaron Rodgers: I like the way we’re going offensively

1. They need to finish games they start fast but need to not slow down late, they may have started even faster if they played the pre-season BUT they had enough injurys during that.

2. Gag, it’s sad when those two names makes me throw up a little. All the tail kickings the lions took by both of them makes me ill.

3. One game at a time. We’re enjoying it too. We’re also disappointed for the same reasons the players likely are, but all facets seem to be improving bit-by-bit every week…….and I’ll take it.

As I’ve said before……the biggest difference among all NFCN teams and their expectations for success this season, remains to be Aaron Charles Rodgers.

4. What’s not to like? More road wins and division wins in the first five games than we had all of last year. The offense and defense will both only get better, which means a whole lot of trouble for teams that make a living off of beating bad teams, and running up stats in garbage time ((cough)) PURPLES ((cough))

5. Winning makes everything better, doesn’t it? It solves lots of problems and soothes ruffled feathers. I’m a Vikings fan and a Packer hater, but I sure wish my team had Aaron Rodgers at QB. Unlike Kirk Cousins, Rodgers knows how to play the position and doesn’t fold like a cheap suit when the chips are down.

6. But your defense isn’t quite what you thought it was after week one, right Aaron? Its okay though…the Bears’ defense isn’t what we thought it was either. See you soon enough…

WHO DAT!

7. If you look at the NFL, the teams that will constantly be in the mix have quarterbacks. Wilson, Rodgers, Brees and now Mahomes, Jackson, Watson coming into the fold. Why teams don’t tank and put everything into finding that guy to give them a chance every year for 15 years is a mystery. My team the Vikings have a great roster up and down the board, but they have Cousins. Put Wilson or Rodgers on this team, good grief.

8. The Packers have a brand new offense this year, which is ranked 25th in yards per game and 23rd in yards per play.

Packer fans: “It’s a work in progress. It’s improving bit by bit. Wait until midseason. Super Bowl!”

The Vikings have a brand new offense this year, which is ranked 18th in yards per game and 6th in yards per play.

Packer fans: “Dumpster fire!”

9. florioscrusades says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Wilson, Rodgers, Brees and now Mahomes, Jackson, Watson.

===========================

One of these names is not like the others. Good grief!!

10. I love the way this Locker room is shaping up.

The way Z came on to this team and has really embraced a leadership role on the defense.
    And his value has obviously shown on the field as well, besides his league leading QB pressures, Smith and Smith have a combined 10.5 sacks over the first 5 games.

Rodgers singling out Lucas Patrick for taking over for an in-game injured Corey Linsley without missing a beat.
    And declaring it a big reason for the win on Sunday.

9 different pass catchers stepping up their game to help fill the void created by an injured Davante Adams.

Matt LaFleur, after the game, offered up the game ball to RB Aaron Jones for his big contribution to the offense, who then promptly threw it across the room to his offensive linemen.
    Great attitude all the way around.
    There’s just a fresh vibe of goodwill on this team that’s been missing over the last few seasons.

A big divisional foe remains on the near horizon, hopefully we can continue to ride this momentum forward.

11. Well, we’ll find out just how good the Lions and Packers are on Monday. I think Detroit runs wild and the moment the dbs come into the box Stafford will make you pay. It should give us all we need to know about the top 1-2 in the North.

12. Rogers is at the tail end of his career. They should think about replacing him with that Favre guy.

13. tritz32 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:54 pm
    florioscrusades says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Wilson, Rodgers, Brees and now Mahomes, Jackson, Watson.

===========================

One of these names is not like the others. Good grief!!

Agreed, Jackson not there yet. Thanks for correction.

14. ariani1985 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:58 pm
    The packer pukes haven’t beaten the lions in 3 years! Let that sink in!

I know I shouldnt. its too easy and gives the troll recognition

No Lombardi in …..58 years! let that sink in!

15. Rate This

florioscrusades says:

October 8, 2019 at 3:41 pm

——————————–

Yeah, ya forgot someone….

16. That’s a Vikings fan I’m not enjoying it as much as he is. But I’ve got to say they’re moving the ball well, and especially running the ball well to complement the passing game. It makes them a tough team to beat. The NFC North is one tough division. Looking forward to the Packers Vikings game later in the year. But kudos to the Packers in their new coach

17. Let’s be honest, the offense is still shaky as hell, BUT, a lot of it still seems to do with growing pains. Like guys not know snap counts, running the wrong route, tight ends and backs missing their block assignments etc. The second they get a drive where everyone does their jobs, they score. I’ll take that over bad play calling and tried schemes any day. At least mental errors like these can get corrected and not be an issue by the end of the year. Couple that with winning early in games where you struggle, that’s a huge plus. The glass is officially half full.

18. ariani1985 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:58 pm
    The packer pukes haven’t beaten the lions in 3 years! Let that sink in!
    ________________________________________________

The Vikings have never won anything that matters. Let that sink in!

19. TrubiskyIsGarbageAndTheBearsShouldHaveDraftedMahommes says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:59 pm
    >>>>><<<<<<<
    Something tells me Pettine will have something more schemed than "the dbs come into the box". Should be a great game. The Lions certainly have had the Packers # the last couple years. Go Pack!

20. Of course a somewhat positive article about Packers has triggered the Purple Stalker and he is posting and switching SN’s at a feverish pace. Status quo there.

Moving on to people and things that matter…

I didn’t hear the podcast yet, but there isn’t much from Alpers take on it that we didn’t already know. Aaron is as happy as a clam and the offense is on a upward trajectory.👍

The Packers are 4-1 and focused on Monday Night. I am most interested in the injury status of Davante, Corey, and Kevin King, so I will be searching for those answers at some point here. The wife called and said she is making Lasagna so I am looking forward to going home in a couple hrs to that 7 layers of heaven. And seeing my beautiful wife and kids of course.😘

#GoPackGo!🏈

21. jerrykramerssplinters says:
    October 8, 2019 at 4:16 pm
    ariani1985 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:58 pm
    The packer pukes haven’t beaten the lions in 3 years! Let that sink in!

I know I shouldnt. its too easy and gives the troll recognition

No Lombardi in …..58 years! let that sink in!
    ************************************************
    If you are going to troll Lion fans, at least get the math right. 1957 is the last time we won a championship and I don’t think it was called a Lombardi trophy then. That is 61 years. And yes, it was 1991 when we last won a playoff game. Why I am having to correct you?

22. Hmm, I’m in a quandary of what I should believe.

I’ve only ever read that Rodgers hates Favre, the rookies, and how we should keep an eye out for his next “blow up” on the new coach.

Yet, here he is on Favre’s radio show talking about how he likes LeFleurs new offense, and how the new guys are stepping up.

Maybe it was all fake news all along like he said it was?

23. Rate This
    ariani1985 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:58 pm
    The packer pukes haven’t beaten the lions in 3 years! Let that sink in!

The Packers are in 1st place now and have a trophy case filled with Lombardi’s. You team is many games down and it’s case is empty. Let that sink in!

24. boiler72 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 4:22 pm
    ariani1985 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:58 pm
    The packer pukes haven’t beaten the lions in 3 years! Let that sink in!
    ________________________________________________

The Vikings will never win anything that matters. Let that sink in

________________

Fixed that for ya hoss

25. If you look at the NFL, the teams that will constantly be in the mix have quarterbacks. Wilson, Rodgers, Brees and now Mahomes, Jackson, Watson coming into the fold
    —————————

Yeah, ya forgot someone…
    =====

Gardner Minshew will be offended if he sees that.

26. The Packers have a brand new offense this year, which is ranked 25th in yards per game and 23rd in yards per play.

Aside from one another and the Bears, GB has played the Eagles, Broncos and Cowboys. MN has played the Falcons, Raiders and Giants. That may have something to do with it.
    In any case, I think the Ws and Ls are still the most important stats, although I understand why Viking fans are always looking for something else.

27. So what happened to Rodgers and LeFluer being at odds with each other over audibles? What happened to Rodgers the spoiled brat having HIS way because it’s HIS team? Oh yeah. The was a media fabrication that never existed…

28. Rob, I’d love for you to just cherry pick the stats as you always do, but unfortunately…

Which offense has scored more points? And which team has won more games? And when the two teams played, what was the result.

See yourself off of our threads. The level of conversation is above you.

29. 59 years of mediocrity says:
    October 8, 2019 at 4:48 pm
    Hmm, I’m in a quandary of what I should believe.
    Maybe it was all fake news all along like he said it was?
    ———-
    Or more likely, winning solves a lot of problems.
    If you don’t think there was tension between Favre and Rodgers and tension between McCarthy and Rodgers, you live in a fake world.
    You can bet if the packers lose a couple of games in a row, Rodgers will be the first one to whine about something.

30. terrystown says:
    October 8, 2019 at 5:16 pm
    ———
    It’s called winning. That’s what happened.

31. staffordwives9999 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Rogers loves it… he doesn’t have to do anything for his 34 million a year
    _________

Actually, after all of his bonuses are calculated, Aaron Rodgers cap hit in 2019 is only 26,500,000, good for 3rd in the NFC North Division among QBs.
    Both Stafford and Cousins top 29 million.

And if you honestly believe Rodgers hasn’t done anything this season, you simply don’t watch enough football.

32. Wafflestomp says:
    October 8, 2019 at 6:27 pm
    staffordwives9999 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Rogers loves it… he doesn’t have to do anything for his 34 million a year
    _________

Both Stafford and Cousins top 29 million.

————————————

Dumb to bring up only this years cap – Either intentionally misleading, or pure puffery. No matter; you showed your man love, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Lamar Jackson, Carson Wentz, Daniel (frickin) Jones as well as the usuals all have a better QBR than aaron

You should start watching football

33. Wafflestomp says:
    October 8, 2019 at 6:27 pm
    staffordwives9999 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Rogers loves it… he doesn’t have to do anything for his 34 million a year
    _________

Both Stafford and Cousins top 29 million.

————————————

You should start watching football soon

34. I will say the Packers look more balanced this year on offense. I just hope it doesn’t las other wise……. On a side note a nice article about the Packers is written and the same commenters have to take a shot at the Vikings. I said it before #owned by Viking fans. To the real Viking , Packer fans good luck they’re looking good but I hope it don’t last.

35. Until it isn’t. Never before in NFL history has one player ran a franchise. Anyone with two eyes (one will do) can see that Lafleur looks for validation and approval from AR. There is no owner or GM! Except Aaron.

36. Great article by Mike Spofford on packers.com about Aaron and Lucas Patrick.

I suggest going and reading it.

#OneTeamOneNation

#PackersNation!

37. TrubiskyIsGarbageAndTheBearsShouldHaveDraftedMahommes says:
    October 8, 2019 at 4:32 pm

jerrykramerssplinters says:
    October 8, 2019 at 4:16 pm
    ariani1985 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:58 pm
    The packer pukes haven’t beaten the lions in 3 years! Let that sink in!

I know I shouldnt. its too easy and gives the troll recognition

No Lombardi in …..58 years! let that sink in!
    ************************************************
    __________________

Chill, Dude, that was a Vikings fan trolling the Packers using the Lions as a weapon and the Packers fan trolled the Viking fan back with Viking facts. True Packer fans know that the Lions started WAY back in the day (1934) and are a long time respected rival of the Packers much like the Bears. It’s the little sister purple Heidis screwing up the respect and history of the best division in the NFL – the NFCN.

38. cheeseisfattening says:
    October 8, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Bottom 20 both offensively and defensively. Sure, baby steps

+++++++

And First Place in the NFC North.

39. screamingyellowzonkers says:

It’s called winning. That’s what happened.
    _________

They are winning, they are also running an offense that is better fit to todays NFL vs. that stagnent MM that he was too stubborn to change, thats what makes great coaches great, Reid and Payton have evolved thier offenses through the years as their time as HC thats why they are tenured as long as they are, because they can put in fresh ideas and have them succeed, instead of youre message and offense getting stale causing you to lose a job.

40. I watched some of the Packers – Cowboys and Green Bay looked great; even if the officiating didn’t. Didn’t have much of an impact, the Packers outplayed a good Dallas team on the road. I’d be happy too.

I’m not happy as a Vikings fan, but lets just see how things shake down before crowning a champion. Each of the NFCN teams have strengths and weaknesses, and it’s a long hard season. The best team will win and we don’t know who that is yet.

41. cheeseisfattening says:
    October 8, 2019 at 7:42 pm
    Bottom 20 both offensively and defensively. Sure, baby steps
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pulling out the stats card already? Viking trolls don’t like stats, remember? You have to remember how often Viking trolls would tell us how little significance stats held. Over and over. Now, that’s we’re you’re going. Funny how that works, isn’t it?

Scoreboard.

42. shaggytoodle says:
    October 8, 2019 at 9:25 pm
    screamingyellowzonkers says:

It’s called winning. That’s what happened.
    _________

They are winning, they are also running an offense that is better fit to todays NFL vs. that stagnent MM that he was too stubborn to change, thats what makes great coaches great..
    ————-
    GB’s offense is ranked 25th in yards, 13th in points scored.
    If that’s considered “an offense that is a better fit”…congratulations.

The real reason why GB is 4-1 and winning is the turnovers. They lead the league in turnovers and are tied for the lead with a +7 turnover margin. (FYI…GB defense is 22nd in total yards).

Any team that is 4-1 is a good team. But it’s not for the reasons packer fans think.

43. stellarperformance says:
    October 9, 2019 at 8:00 am
    cheeseisfattening says:
    October 8, 2019 at 7:42 pm
    Bottom 20 both offensively and defensively. Sure, baby steps
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Scoreboard.
    ___________

Yes, that and the Barneys love to cherry pick their stats when it suits their argument.

The last few seasons they would harp on the fact that points were the only thing that matters when rating offenses and defenses, because it was beneficial to prove their point about how good their defense really was.

So gauging the Packers success in those areas, they’d actually rank 13th and 8th overall in points scored/points allowed respectively.
    A decisive improvement in both areas.
    After all, that’s all that really matters, right Barneys?

44. The Lions are going to get a dose of real football and get embarrassed on National TV on MNF. It will be fun to watch the typical Lions fans excuses: blaming the refs and injuries for their teams incompetence.

45. The Vikings do have a lot more yards than the Packers.

That’s what happens when you pad your stats in garbage time, like cousins vs the Packers, or play the Falcons, Giants, and Raiders.

The vikings have played to good opponents so far, and they’ve lost both of them.

That’s all that really matters. Wait until they play the tough part of their schedule! 5-11? 6-10? Maybe.

46. It will be as good game if the Lions can run the ball and protect Stafford. Stafford is 7-4 in the last 11 games vs the Packers with 24TD/7INT, so limiting pressure is critcal.

47. ”But your defense isn’t quite what you thought it was after week one, right Aaron? Its okay though…the Bears’ defense isn’t what we thought it was either. See you soon enough…

WHO DAT!”

I guess the Saints will feel that soon enough

48. After Week 5, Rodgers ranks 22nd in passer rating, 25th in touchdown rate, 14th in QBR and 15th in net yards per attempt.

Fourth-Quarter Aaron Rodgers would rank 25th, 22nd, 32nd, 32nd and 33rd, respectively.

Rodgers is mentally struggling to make easy throws and run out the clock, which btw looks a lot like the offense under McCarthy