Mike Tomlin brushes off question about potential Washington interest

AP

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin already has been linked to the vacancy in Washington. As expected, Tomlin was asked about it during his weekly press conference. As expected, he said nothing.

“I’m not worried about that, to be quite honest with you,” Tomlin told reporters. “I’m the head coach of a 1-4 football team going on the road to face a Hall of Fame quarterback with my third-string quarterback. Do you think I’m worried about anything but that?”

No one expected Tomlin to say anything that would suggest that he’s interested in leaving Pittsburgh for Washington. But on a question so central to his loyalty to the team he has coached since 2007, Tomlin arguably should have been more forceful and unequivocal, adding something like, “This is the job I have. This is the job I want. Have I ever said or done anything to create the impression I don’t want to be here?”

A lot would have to happen before Tomlin ends up coaching in Washington, especially since he’s still under contract in Pittsburgh. But until the door is clearly, unconditionally, and unequivocally closed, it would be foolish in a league where unusual things happen all the time to write this off as kooky talk.

52 responses to “Mike Tomlin brushes off question about potential Washington interest

1. Um, so that team has talent. What they need is a new owner and GM, and certainly NOT a mediocre coach like Tomlin.

Amd, something tells me without a known commodity at QB like he had with Ben all those years, BEFORE he got to Pitt after fielding the worst pass D in the NFL in 2006 with Minny, he probably doesn’t want to fall flat on his face in DC.

Would be a poor choice if you;re a Skins fan. If Snyder was smart, he’d can Allen and then hire Caserio and McDaniels from the Pats. Immediate slam dunk decision.

2. I think the Skins should just accept their new position in the NFL and go “full Browns.”

Hire Hue Jackson.

3. Why would anyone who is already employed consider Washington?

Why would anyone who is not already employed consider Washington?

Snyder wants a name, and he’s willing to give them a dumptruck full of money. Whoever he convinces to come out of retirement and take the job will not be doing it for the love of the game, or because they believe in the Redskins organization. But they’ll do it for the money.

4. williamshatnerstoupee says:
    October 8, 2019 at 1:17 pm
    Our obsessed NE fan makes his daily appearance.
    _________________________________________________

This from the guy that makes trollaw look like a model of restraint rocket scientist.
    You are probably every bit as annoying to real Steelers fans as he is to real Pats fans

5. williamshatnerstoupee says:
    October 8, 2019 at 1:17 pm
    Our obsessed NE fan makes his daily appearance.

5 1 Rate This

——————–

Yeah and you don’t post under Pats articles with your dumb screen name like a little middle school child.

When you have 99% of fanbases running around trolling the Pats, expect a little return of serve, not to mention, I am not wrong here.

Snyder can make the right choices or the wrong ones.

Mike Tomlin is a very mediocre NFL coach lucky to be part of a good organization with a HOF QB , a once pretty good GM, etc.

6. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    October 8, 2019 at 1:32 pm
    williamshatnerstoupee says:
    October 8, 2019 at 1:17 pm
    Our obsessed NE fan makes his daily appearance.
    _________________________________________________

1 0 Rate This

—————–

7. Tomlin has his shortfalls but cmon. Steelers lost 3 games by a combined 9 points with a ton of injuries. Almost beat seattle and sf with a backup and came up barely short against baltimore with a 3rd stringer. I dont think many teams would compete that well in that situation

8. Why did Washington let it leak that they want him? He might have been fired after this year. Now they may have to trade for a coach who would have just been available free and clear.

9. Tomlin’s “success” with the Steelers was directly linked to inheriting Hall of Famer defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and inheriting a team two years removed from winning a Super Bowl. Imagine if Tomlin had walked into the situation that Jay Gruden walked into when he was hired by Washington. Do you really think the result would have been any better? Probably even worse.

10. Washington…the place where players and coaches go to wallow in misery before they die.

11. Hue Jackson, by the way, is a former Redskins assistant. In 2003 under Steve Spurrier, he coordinated and called plays for the league’s 23rd ranked offense for a 5-11 team. (That’s two more wins than he had in 40 games with the Browns.)

12. Except you’re not a real Pats fan. You love just Brady. Going to be pretty hard to beat season tickets since ’78 in the family. Just saying.

Having season tickets since 1978 doesnt fix stupid and no one is a poorer representative of the Pats than motor mouth TyFlaw. He makes dumb look brilliant.

13. citizenstrange says:
    October 8, 2019 at 1:40 pm

2 1 Rate This

———————

^This.

This is like saying John Whinebaugh is a great coach because he inheruited Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

Since those two have left, Johnny Whinebaugh finds himself very much a .500 coach.

14. vikings1234 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 12:59 pm
    Why would anyone who is already employed consider Washington?

Well, one might say for the same reason once Zimmer gets canned why go to Minnesota??? Btw what have they EVER won in Minnesota? Since 1961 how many championships or Super Bowls…NONE

15. “no one is a poorer representative of the Pats than motor mouth TyFlaw. He makes dumb look brilliant.”

He is a constant reminder of why I never wanted to have kids.

16. Vasteelerfan says:
    October 8, 2019 at 1:53 pm

0 1 Rate This

—————-

Umm, then why am I usually right then and dopes like you be so wrong all of the time?? This is hilarious.

How many years, for example, have I been warning about how overrated Colberts’s drafts have been? That’s YOUR team. Now, the chickens have come home to roost as you drips whistle past the graveyard and NE keeps winning SBs.

Why am I so easily able to predict things well before they become reality if I am so dumb?

I mean, you root for a team with many DUMB players on it led by your head coach. This just can’t be made up.

It just can’t be made up.

17. Love watching the unruly Steelers’ fans and the corrupt Patriots’ fans smearing each other. Hope they knock each other out. Meanwhile, Tomlin is probably laughing at all the couch potato keyboard warriors.

18. I don’t think Tomlin is a bad coach. He’s had trouble managing clock, can’t win a challenge to save his life, and never seems concerned about making in-game adjustments, but that is not to say he’s without talent. But his act has definitely worn thin with the Steelers.

19. Tomlin is not the greatest coach in the league and probably should have done more with the talent he had, but he is by no means a bad coach.

Adam Gase

20. “Love watching the unruly Steelers’ fans and the corrupt Patriots’ fans smearing each other.”

You’re a Baltimore fan. Sit down and be quiet.

21. “I’ve forgotten more about this game and how the current era works than you could ever dream of knowing.”

Teenagers know very little about life.

22. If we can’t coax Jim Fassel out of irrelevance, perhaps Rich Kotite is still available. He’s a spry 76.

23. The standard is the standard….until it isn’t the standard. Unequivocally, indubitably, the standard of standards.

24. williamshatnerstoupee says:
    October 8, 2019 at 2:00 pm

He is a constant reminder of why I never wanted to have kids.
    ———————————————————————–

The rest of us are very thankful for that so I guess there is one thing he got right

25. “The rest of us are very thankful for that”

As am I. I can do without immaturity.

26. tylawspick6 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 1:36 pm

———————————————-

Oh Chris, you need to give up thinking what your uncle or grandfather did with their disposable income in ’78 has any bearing on your fandom. I do appreciate having watched Brady work for the past 18 years, it certainly is a salve for the 40 years I spent as a Pats fan before he arrived. As for our respective fandom, I’ve had the good judgement not to have been booted off every major Pats forum. If you could say the same the folks in these comments might be spared a lot of your diatribes but Pats fan boards would be the worse for it.

27. I’ve forgotten more about this game and how the current era works than you could ever dream of knowing.

Stop trying to convince yourself that you have a brain because everyone on PFT has witnessed your rants and Homerisms and rude comments about injuries to players we cant be convinced you are anything but an embarrassment to Real Pats fans. But soldier on Captain Obtuse your imaginary Army of Followers eagerly await your daily flow of BS. It’s bad if even Pats fans dis like you.

28. “Except you’re not a real Pats fan. You love just Brady. Going to be pretty hard to beat season tickets since ’78 in the family.”

———————–

They’ve been dealing with you for that long? Sheesh, I thought we had it bad.

29. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:50 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 1:36 pm

———————————————-

0 0 Rate This

——————–

Who is Chris?

Your jealousy if my knowledge and accurate assessments of the Pats is hilarious.

Have some confidence in yourself. You can do it!

Brady is not perfect like you think he is. Deal with it. Most of ou fans, especially younger ones, gloss over him needing to be held accountable. I am just glad BB does it.

Period.

No one is above the team, even pouty Brady early in the season after skipping OTAs again and thinking he’s entitled to HOF weaponry 5 weapons deep.

It’s ridiculous and so are homers like yourself, Beatrice.

30. Vasteelerfan says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:56 pm

0 1 Rate This

——————-

Again, I repeat, if I am so dumb, why do I have the failures of other teams who think they are on NE’s level, nailed, YEARS in advance?

Very simple question.

Pick a topic, any topic, and tell me where I was wrong. It’s going to be hard for you to do, because I am not wrong very often.

How’s Schuster doing without Brown to take doubles away? You happy Colbert drafts immature and dumb players like Bell and Brown, are ya?

Shall I keep going?

31. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    October 8, 2019 at 3:41 pm
    williamshatnerstoupee says:
    October 8, 2019 at 2:00 pm

He is a constant reminder of why I never wanted to have kids.
    ———————————————————————–

1 1 Rate This

—————-

The mouthbreather from the hills of PA was talking about himself, dopey.

32. “dumb players like Bell and Brown, are ya?”

Now what was the name of that team that AB played for last……I think I remember……

33. tylawspick6 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 4:12 pm

The mouthbreather from the hills of PA was talking about himself, dopey.
    ————————————————

BTW the Chris is in reference to your user name at the premier Pats fan site. One of the many that your behavior got you tossed from. A little respect and a bit of personal grace go a long way. I hope at some point you learn that, you’ll have a better life if you do.

34. Which is exactly what I referred to. Your lack of reading comprehension keeps pace with with your lack of grace.

But I thought he was a stable genius…..who is the bigger fool?

35. “One of the many that your behavior got you tossed from.”

I’m not surprised about that. I don’t know how he finds time to post 18 hours a day and still run that $12 million dollar per year company he claims to own.

36. Mike Tomlin brushes off question about potential Washington interest

_________________________________

By who? Names, names, names! These rumors mean nothing without the name of someone with knowledge of the Tomlin’s intentions like a Steelers player, other coach, wife, sibling or Tomlin himself. Just some media hack coming up with what he thinks might happen isn’t a legit reason to run this “FAKE NEWS” story!

Reminds me of all the Gronk and Brady retirement stories for years. Like the first reporter that ask Gronk 5yrs before he retired “word has it you’re thinking about retiring” to which Gronk replied “and where did you hear that, certainly wasn’t from me so your source isn’t very well imformed”! Just like 98% of these media people, they aren’t very well informed with all of the false and off the wall articles they write, they’re just throwing spaghetti against the wall to see if any will stick. You can’t believe more than 10% of what they write and no one knows which 10% that is, is it any wonder why no one trusts the media now days? One would think they’d want to do everthing in their power to change that, but no they just keep pumping out the “FAKE NEWS”, no day after day!

If the NFL had a real commissioner he’d stop the media from having any contact with reporters except for a limited time after each game, then 90% of this BS would stop, but apparently they love all the drama!

Wasn’t it Thomas Jefferson over 240yrs ago that said, “the man who reads nothing at all is better informed than the man who reads nothing but newspapers” which now includes all media sources, MAN he had no idea how right he was!

37. OOPS I meant: If the NFL had a real commissioner he’d stop the media from having any contact with players or coaches

38. Tomlin arguably should have been more forceful and unequivocal, adding something like,

That sound like what a wife says to a husband, i.e. you were wrong for not saying [insert what she wants to hear here]

39. tylawspick6 says:
    October 8, 2019 at 4:11 pm

———————————————————————————-
    Well, JuJu is on course for 77 receptions, 1065 yards and 6 or 7 touchdowns.
    Not as good as last year but better than the year before that.
    Considering his QB situation and the fact that the Steelers have already played the top 2 passing defenses in the league, I don’t think that you can really fault Schuster for anything so far except the fumble against Baltimore.
    Plus, he is averaging more yards per catch this year than last year with Brown on the team.