Demaryius Thomas calls Patriots stint a “waste of time”

Getty Images

The Patriots were clear with Demaryius Thomas when they cut him in August that the plan was to bring him back. And they did just that.

But the veteran wide receiver said he was surprised when they traded him to the Jets eight days later, startled to realize that the most business-like team in the league turned him into just another piece of business.

It was insulting, for sure,” Thomas told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “Once I got cut, I could have just come here (to the Jets) and not stayed there and re-sign. When they re-signed me, I was thinking that I was good. Two weeks later, I was gone. So, it’s like, ‘Why did I waste my time?’ Because at the end of the day, it was kind of a waste of time for me.”

The short answer was, the Patriots thought they were trading up, when they were able to get their hands on Antonio Brown. Of course, that didn’t work, and Thomas seems happy to be with the Jets now. He said he enjoyed his time with the Patriots this offseason, as he recovered from last year’s torn Achilles.

“They took a chance to bring me in and helped me get healthy,” Thomas said. “I always knew I was going to be able to still play . . . and it would have worked out because I was still learning their offense. Josh McDaniels drafted me [in Denver]. So, I felt like I was cool. But even having conversations with him and couple other people, it was like, ‘You’re going to be okay.’ Two weeks later, AB gets cut . . . and then they kicked me [to the curb] and shipped me out like I’m just a rookie.”

While he wasn’t angry with the way the deal went down, Thomas did say he felt it was “disrespectful” to trade him so shortly after he re-signed.

“Coach [Belichick] came up to me and was like, ‘Uh, we got too many guys. We can’t get the ball around enough and we’re going to trade you to the Jets,’” Thomas said. “And that was that. . . . Ain’t no reason to yell. They’ve won championships without me. I was only trying to be a part of something that was going to be good when I was there. . . . They’re doing a hell of a job.”

Thomas has settled in with another familiar former coach in Adam Gase, and learned that in New England, no particular player is special.

48 responses to “Demaryius Thomas calls Patriots stint a “waste of time”

1. They signed you in the infirmary, paid and carried you all those months at their risk, got you fit, and even traded you in-division to your old coach who you like, and you’re still whining?

2. The mess Antonio Brown left behind hurt the Patriots There tight in the cap space and they lost Demarius Thomas I hope another team that is thinking about adding him in the future can see what a cancer he is to a team.A potential future Hall of Famer that is wasting is talents away.

3. I agree with Thomas,but the Patriots have done this to a lot of guys,so it’s no surprise. It’s not right,but as they always say, “it’s a business.”

4. Not sure the headline is indicative of the context. He clearly meant the week+ he spent RE-signed before being traded, and not the entire rehab/training camp period, which he clearly appreciated. During those 8 days he could have signed somewhere and been learning their playbook but he was told he’d be brought back and believed that meant for the year; it only meant until they could move him. Never trust a business arrangement that’s not in writing.

5. I wonder how Demaryius feels about the guy that got cut to put him on the Jets…. It’s a business dude, get over it. If you could have helped the Pats you would still be here. Whether or not AB happened your time in New England was not going to be long.

6. bradygirl12 says:
    October 17, 2019 at 8:05 am
    ========================
    I’m really struggling to see how the Patriots are the ONLY team that does this. I mean you’re absolutely right it’s no surprise but it shouldn’t be a surprise for any team. What am I missing?

7. Insulting? They gave you chance. Twice. They resigned you before AB was available. Then they signed AB who they thought was going to be better (AB) and didnt have room for you on the roster. Turns out they were wrong because AB is a turd. Instead of cutting you a second time, they traded you.

I actually wanted them to keep Thomas.

Hardly insulting though. Just the way things happen in the NFL. Hes a veteran, he should know these things.

8. It’s all good. Thomas is a great player and I would be upset if he didn’t feel upset. That just means he cares. But this is why they are the champs they do what’s best for the team at the time. That being said I wish he was on the roster.

9. Count me as a Pats fan that wishes the Brown deal never occurred and that Thomas was still a Pat. Still it’s a business and I don’t feel sorry for Thomas, other then he’s a Jet. Lol

10. Patriots let their arrogance get the better of them in signing Brown,apparently thinking just because he was a moronic,disruptive,self centered buffoon before he was a Patriot,he would suddenly stop being one when he became a Patriot…hmmm,why does this seem so familiar? Let’s see…”moronic,disruptive,self centered buffoon” that people expected to somehow be something other than a “moronic,disruptive,self centered buffoon”…Where have I heard this one before..?

11. Just to clarify the Jets called the Patriots. Its not like he was shopping him (or at least what we know of)…

12. Sounds like he sucked it up and moved on. Of course he is unhappy about it, it was a chance to win a title. Jets might be a good fit, but there is no chance for a title there. He should be the most pissed off at Antonio Brown, if he wasn’t out wrecking every team he touches he’s still be a Patriot.

13. Thomas was lucky to be even given a chance off of that injury. I get the diappointment, but it was a logjam in preseason with them drafting Harry and the emergence of Jakobi Meyers.

He got beaten, out essentially.

They also needed a punt returner which is why Olezewcski made it. He was always the typical +30 camp invite.

14. Is he delusional? He’s a 31 year old WR coming off an achilles injury. A dime gets you 2 dozen of these guys. The Patriots moving him for a 6th rounder was a g-i-f-t from the J-E-T-S and they surely don’t miss his 9 receptions this year through the first 6 games.

15. dmca12 says:
    October 17, 2019 at 9:10 am
    Wonder if NE now regrets dumping him? Seems like a solid, reliable, productive player.

1 1 Rate This

———————-

With Harry returning, I am just not buying it. Harry is a 1st rd pick. They need youth. If Dorsett got hurt or sucked, Thomas would be in NE. Thomas was always meant to be that guy and a fallback veteran in camp.

Nothing more, nothing less.

16. So… its not like you had a long list of teams willing to sign and rehab you, which NE did. Had you been paying attention over the course of your career you would have noticed this happens quite often. You should be grateful they got you well enough to warm a bench for a few more years, you have 9 catches..really!!

17. We messed that up for sure. I can’t understand how some fans can not admit when their favorite team screws up.

We Pats fans typically get what we want. More so than any other fan base in any given sport. So I can’t understand why the fan base is so sensitive all the time? We should have the thickest skin of any fan base. Mean (or truthful) words should just bounce right off of us. I’d totally get the extra sensitivity of the fans if we never won anything. It’d totally make since if we were picking in the top ten of the draft every year.

18. Ben Watson got the same treatment. He moved to Foxboro with his wife and seven children, only to be let go as soon as his suspension was over and he was free to play. Injuries soon had Belichick calling him back and now he’s on the roster. No whining from Watson, though.

19. they surely don’t miss his 9 receptions this year through the first 6 games.
    —–
    Boy that’s an insult to Brady if you are implying that his production would be the same with
    NE as it would have been with a second/third string Jets QB.

We traded a guy that fit for a guy that didn’t fit. We messed that up. It’s OK> Everyone makes mistakes. Including the best.

20. I’m sure the Pats regret trading him. We signed him with the intent to keep him. Then we signed AB, taxes him, the lost AB.

21. Went to the jets and got… Hurt. That is why he only has 9 catches. He clearly was still hurt in the “last” preseason game and he would not have produced with Brady seeing he got… Hurt again.

22. Jason Solinsky says:
    October 17, 2019 at 10:16 am

0 0 Rate This

—————————-

Umm, no. They’re not going to carry 8 WRs. Sorry.

Edelman, Dorsett, Gordon, Meyers,Harry, Gunner

Good on BB for forcing Brady to learn with the young kids. Brady is annoying with his buddying up to broken down veterans who can’t last the year.

He doesn’t seem to get that. The Deamrius THomas ship sailed years ago. Good for him for coming back and being able to run after the Achilles, but the Brown signing out of the woodwork had little to do with Demarius Thomas’s status on the team. They aren’t going to cut Harry and Meyers over it.

23. How was it for him?

Everyone who follows New England saw this coming. He’s just the latest WR in his twilight who flamed out there. Joey Galloway, Reggie Wayne, DT, it happens all the time.

24. 8oneanddones says:
    October 17, 2019 at 10:25 am
    How was it for him?

1 0 Rate This

——————–

Exactly. So weird how Brady wants it and thank god BB steps in to force younger bodies in there.

The next arugment would be “BB is a bad GM because he has older WRs who ‘can get separation’..”

LMAO

That was happening last year a lot with Hogan, when the truth is Brady and McDaniels sucked with their gameplanning and gamecalling.

25. Collateral damage from the AB trade. Thomas has every right to be offended, but had AB not misrepresented his situation about the rape allegation, the Patriots roster was already worked out. Watson probably has more right to be angry (after moving his family), but it all stems from AB and decisions that have had to be made as a result. Everyone send your frustrations to Rosenhaus.

26. New England got greedy thinking all Brown’s issues would be magically cured just by wearing their jersey. Might have even worked out if not for the new assault allegations. But one game from a better player still loses out to signing somebody who was stable and could have played the full season.

27. Someone above listed: Edelman, Dorsett, Gordon, Meyers, Harry, Gunner. Sounds like a big metropolitan law firm. LOL.

But I wonder, importantly and in the off-topic present, if Michael Bennett is going to be sufficiently contrite and not risk a Thomas-like move. I would control him AND his workload so as to keep him fresh for January elimination games. His brother got a ring while Gronk was hurt, and Michael would like a second one – guaranteeing his status. Where else are your prospects so good? MB is a smart football player and Chase and others respect him. Rosy future still ahead..

28. elyasm says:
    October 17, 2019 at 7:58 am
    “…in New England, no particular player is special.”

Well, there is one, but they don’t like to admit it.

——————————
    Nothing to admit thats why. The minute they have someone who’s better than Brady to put out there he is gone. Its a business not a popularity contest.

29. I can’t say the Pats handled this really well. Of course, Kraft defying BB and Brady by cutting AB made dealing Thomas seem a hasty move. The receiver situation was too shaky even going into the season to move him just because AB came in. And there were no guarantees on the longevity of AB or Gordon. Poor roster management and suspect interference from the owner.

30. mogogo1 says:
    October 17, 2019 at 10:45 am
    ——————————————
    Was a low risk move. And for what it’s worth, the second assault allegation was known. He was let go because he was told by Kraft NOT to contact the second accuser, which he did by sending that group text. He was let go for violating team rules.

31. DT broke records with Tebow and looks like he works with Darnold. Brady should have been able to utilize him.

32. Remember when Brandon Bolden left the Pat’s for a free agent deal and signed with Miami, and then when the Patriots went down to play the Dolphins Adam Gase made Brandon Bolden a Captain for the game, and then put him in the game as the lead running back and he had a big game? I think we can expect the Jets to do the same with Thomas if he is healthy enough to play. He will be prominently featured in this game.