Report: Best-case scenario for Mahomes is three weeks

Getty Images

Until Patrick Mahomes emerges from an MRI tube today and doctors read the results, we’re limited to the impressions of others.

And that picture’s something far less than optimistic right now.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, a source said of Mahomes’ right knee: “If there’s no damage, the best case would be around three weeks.”

Of course, if that’s the best-case scenario, that means it can also be much worse.

Early reports of a dislocated right kneecap emerged quickly last night, and Mahomes himself tried to tweet out an upbeat message.

The Chiefs have four more weeks before their Week 12 bye, with games against the Packers, Vikings, and Titans falling within that best-case window.

Those could be in the hands of backup Matt Moore, though any absence would require them to find another quarterback since they only had two.

70 responses to “Report: Best-case scenario for Mahomes is three weeks

1. Even if it’s somehow just 3wks, don’t forget he’d prob then be wearing a serious brace for the rest of the season and we’ve already seen how limited he’s been even with just a dodgy ankle.

2. Here is hoping it’s on best case side and he is able to return to form. But on the otherside If there was ever a coach and team that could handle Kapernick

3. 3 weeks for a dislocated knee cap?
    Umm ok.
    The guy should take as long as he needs and wants to heal it properly. Look I was skeptical of him as a QB. But I was wrong. The guy is a legend in the making. Pat bro, take your time.

4. Sorry to see that not a chiefs fan but like watching him play . Diddnt really make sense to me to try a QB sneak. With an already gimpy QB. When you have so many other weapons available . Good luck to him

5. No way he plays at the same level in 3 weeks. Sure he may come back in 3 weeks but it will be longer before he runs like he’s use to.

6. There bye week is in 4 weeks My opinion don’t rush it if it isnt serious.He has another 15 years of playing in the NFL and it wont be 15 years if he is playing with a Bad Knee.Whatever happens happens but still have Mahomes with 1 year left on his rookie deal next year beef up the defense and should be good to go.

7. Been there, done that… Three weeks is very optimistic. When I saw them pop it back in I said he is out for weeks! Walking on it means nothing. I walked on mine for a while after in happened, the next day it was very swollen… I doubt there is NO damage seeing how far it was out. Went back in easy so hopefully no surgery but I would be VERY surprised if he back until at least the week after the BYE and it could be 6-8 weeks. Sucks for him but hoping he avoids surgery!

8. phinsfan66 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 7:43 am
    ———————————————————————–
    Yeah, because you are a world class athlete right? So your timetable will be the same… LOL!!

9. Please don’t compare your personal experiences with millionaire players, let alone the reining MVP. I promise you, you’re not getting the same care.

10. If I’m the Chiefs I’d be willing to let Patrick sit 8,10 or more weeks if need be.
    Rush him back at a best case scenario 3? No way. This guy appears to be the real deal. I’d be willing to nix the rest of the season to make sure that knee is 100% for the next 10.

11. Once coaches get more tape on him, I’m sure he will stop running away. Then they can clog him and stop the escapes and make him a pocket passer and then see what he can do! No hate for the guy, but it’s too early to hoist him up yet!

12. Well they better handle this like the Eagles did with Wentz. Full health no early comeback. I want to see Mahomes play for the next decade. The Chief’s owe this to their fans and to those of us that enjoy good football.

13. dear KC REST YOUR FUTURE AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.Why risk serious career injuries over one season. You’ve invested the future into him and he is a stud. Let him sit as long as needed.

Patriots fan.

I am also not saying this because we play you this season, but because i like Mahomes and dont want to see his career cut short because of idiotic health decisions.

14. He’ll be sitting THRU the bye week…. that would give him 5 weeks of healing to be resting & rehabbing…… even then he may need to sit an additional 3-4 weeks to get FULLY healed…..IF they rush him back they risk an RG111 type of injury where their FRANCHISE QB is forever toast!!!!

15. They need to make a trade for someone like Eli. I read Alex Smith is throwing again? Blake Bortles?

And man Denver looks terrible.. Their o-line stinks and Flacco just sits there like he has days to throw.

Turrible…

16. i am not even a fan of the chiefs, but i hope they dont rush him back. We’ve seen promising young careers end early due to the stupidity of a team.

17. Another victim of TNF, which naturally Goodell is a huge fan of. Oh but at least the games are compelling and high quality.

18. Vikings fans I’m sure are celebrating the injury because they are giddy that their precious little Vikings don’t have to face Mahomes now.

As a Packers fan I was looking forward to the game next week in KC vs. the Chiefs and Mahomes. Going to KC will still be a fun game and a challenge, but I think a little of the marquee matchup is gone and because of that I am disappointed some. I always want both teams at as close to 100% as possible every game the Packers play. Injuries suck and unfortunately all teams have them.

I wish Patrick a speedy recovery. Hang in there Chiefs fans, you will still be in the hunt when he comes back.👍

19. At least Patrick won’t get screwed by the refs next week when KC plays Green Bay LOL!

20. As a Raiders fan I am torn. I am happy he is out because, well, division rival. But mostly sad because I think the Chiefs have the best shot at knocking the Pats off their pedestal. Hopefully he comes back after Dec 1 but before Dec 8 so he can beat the Pats and give the Chiefs the edge for top seed!

21. we all know accidents happen and injuries occur (often)… maybe not the best decision to have an already injured quarterback (ankle) go for a quarterback sneak…. That had to be a call on the line by Mahomes, right??

22. ciderboy73 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 8:03 am
    ———–
    Really dude? Haven’t you guys about beat that “once they get more tape on him diatribe” to death. He’s played over 25 games in the NFL how much more tape do you think they need?

23. The number of QB’s missing time or an entire season due to a new injury or a history of injuries this year is absolutely crushing. And don’t forget we have one in Washington who hasn’t returned from an injury last year. I dunno, I don’t have an answer, but I cringe every time a QB takes a hit in this league.

24. I remember back when Russell Wilson tweaked his knee and had to wear that brace a few years back. He was slower and worked from the pocket much more often than usual.

Guys like Mahomes, Russell Wilson and Lamar Jackson need to be free to run and create. Knee injuries can cause serious issues with that. That big brace is no good.

I’m a hawk fan but I am also a great football fan and watching Mahomes play football is usually pretty great. I hope he gets over it sooner than later and gets back to his usual ways.

25. Mahomes level of talent and personality is a mis that isn’t going to happen very often. Don’t screw him over letting him get back on the field too fast.

26. raiderdave0109 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 8:39 am

———
    1) Mahomes is 0-2 against the Patriots.
    2) The Chiefs already have two more losses than the Patriots
    3) If Mahomes is our 3-4 weeks the Chiefs will be lucky to win 2 games

No chance the Chiefs end up with “top seed” for anything.

27. nelly837 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 8:58 am
    ciderboy73 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 8:03 am
    ———–

Not only that. He CAN throw from the pocket.

28. That’s sucks, I enjoy watching Mahomes play. As a Vikings fan, I would want him 100% in 3 weeks if he plays against the Vikes. With it being unlikely, I don’t think Reid plays him for the first time in almost a month against a defense like Minnesota’s. Hope he gets to 100% quick, one of the best, most exciting guys to watch play.

29. brwmstr says:
    October 18, 2019 at 8:54 am
    —————————————————-
    Nope, Reid made the call and said he does not regret the call. He said “Usually you don’t get hurt on a QB Sneak” which is true (I mean look how many sneaks BRady has done in his career), except Mahomes was already hurting…

30. Ya he might be able to pull that off in three weeks. Mine took longer but I’m twice his age too. He will go through multiple exercises and tape applications to move that kneecap back in place. He’s an athlete used to working out to so ya he could do it.

31. Packers will still lose big time to KC. Their gift is over with, its a painful trip from here on out. I got them missing the playoffs again and Mr Great Rodgers going golfing and whining like a baby all off season.

32. Cracks me up all the internet orthopedic surgeons on here. News flash quit comparing your injured knee you had in 7th grade playing soccer to Mahomes. He us a professional athlete who has the best medical care in the world and will be getting treatment 24/7 until its better. So telling us you know exactly how long he’s going to be out. You don’t know and everyone heals at a different pace. He could be out 3 weeks or 3 months, they won’t know until they get the MRI and maybe even scope it to see what damage there is.

33. Top seed is off the table now, but the division is so bad that a division win is still likely even if he’s out for longer. So clearly they should rest him.

But they are toast if something happens to Moore, so signing someone solid behind him would be smart.

34. The Chiefs aren’t going to win a lot of those games without Mahomes.

Heck, they dropped games they should’ve won WITH Mahomes.

If KC was smart, they’d just put Mahomes on the shelf for the year and consider the season over. They’re not coming back from this in 2019.

It’s too bad, but don’t rush the star QB back to scramble for a long shot wild card berth. Let him heal completely and go at it again in 2020.

35. @phinsfan66 – I’m with you. I had the same thing happen to me. You can walk afterward right afterward but the knee just doesn’t feel right. It takes a while to get back to being healthy (and trusting that it isn’t going to happen again). No fun at all. Good luck young man. Will likely need a patella support brace for a while.

36. Mahomes has a potential $40 plus million a year payday coming, he shouldn’t play, in reality, the rest of the season but at least give it 3 weeks rest then another 3 to 5 weeks of rehab; worse result is Andy does another QB sneak with a player that already has a bad ankle and cannot push off correctly and Mahomes ends up with a torn patella tendon…and two years of trying to get right.

Well see if Andy does what Shannahan did to RG3 play him even though he can’t move right and escape from the rushers.

37. A bad ankle and a dislocated knee cap? Why risk it at 5-2? Shelf the kid until after their bye, then they run the table on the way to the playoffs.

38. Let PM have all time he needs to get well. In the meantime, Kap is the best available backup, and everyone knows it.

39. Green Bay and the refs must be sighing a bit of relief now that their cheating won’t have to be so bluntly obvious. Let’s face it, the only chance GB has at beating the Chiefs is if Mahomes doesn’t play, and even then they will need the officials help.

40. ruffbufffire says:
    October 18, 2019 at 8:46 am
    Hes gotta come back and beat the Patriots!
    _______________________________________________
    Mahomes has had two shots at NE…0-2!

41. tqaztec says:
    October 18, 2019 at 9:28 am
    Refs for the Packers – KC game will be under a little less pressure to help.

————————————————————————

I’m sure Clete will get that assignment just to be safe though…

42. Do not rush him back at least until after the bye and if their record is still decent and have a shot at the playoff then you might think about it. If the season is lost, just rest him for the season.

43. fishfan77 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 7:51 am
    phinsfan66 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 7:43 am
    ———————————————————————–

____

What does being a world class athlete have to do with how fast you heal from a dislocated knee cap? The knee cap slid out of place…its not magically going to be back to normal in 3 weeks. Even then, your knee cap doesnt just slide out without there being an issue. Ligaments hold it in place, so those ligaments either tore or were stretched enough for that to happen.

44. joker65 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 11:45 am
    fishfan77 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 7:51 am
    phinsfan66 says:
    October 18, 2019 at 7:43 am
    ———————————————————————–
    ____
    ___________________________________________________________________________

Actually it is demonstrated ALL the time, that these exceptional athletes also have an ability to heal EXCEPTIONALLY fast. Literally EVERY Orthopedic surgeon is shocked when they first work on a pro/elite athlete. Many theories why; ie: its part of what makes them so great (Brett Favre’s surgeon said he had “rubber tendons; same with many others. Also because they are ALREADY ALWAYS working out and constantly working on the muscles daily they are constantly in a “repair” mode… Add that to their incredible acess to the VERY BEST in rehab facilities, latest technology; the STAFF of rehab experts; plus the athletes already built in tolerance/motivation re pain — and pro/elite athletes will typically hea;l from most injuries EXCEPTIONALLY faster.

And yes, it actually IS a fact. Look it up in re all pro trainers will tell you this.

45. Why would Andy Reid trade for Eli when he could just get a taller Eli from the Broncos for free in Joe Flacco? Eli Manning would be stupid to even take the call because right now his name and 2 Super Bowls is teetering on the HOF fence. Him going to KC and losing more games in embarrassing fashion would just hurt those chances even more.

46. Lmao at all the immature video game clowns that believe in some stupid madden curse. Lol. Grow up.