PFT’s Week Eight picks

Getty Images

Bad news: MDS leads by eight games. Worse news: We disagree on no games this week, so I can’t carve into his lead.

Best news: It can’t get any worse for me this week.

Last week, MDS got nine of 14 games right. I was 7-7.

For the year, he’s now 66-40. I’m at 58-48.

Here are this week’s picks.

Washington at Vikings

MDS’s take: The NFL has had a string of blowouts in prime time, and I think this will be another one. The Vikings should win easily.

MDS’s pick: Vikings 35, Washington 14.

Florio’s take: Kirk Cousins returns to prime time, against the dysfunctional team that wisely drafted him but that ultimately bungled his contract situation. It would be fitting for the best three-game stretch of his career to end under the lights, but the Vikings are good enough to win even if Cousins reverts to Kurt.

Florio’s pick: Vikings 30, Washington 17.

Broncos at Colts

MDS’s take: Denver seems to see this season is going nowhere, and the Emmanuel Sanders trade may not be the last deal the Broncos make. The Colts, a first-place team with everything to play for, won’t have much trouble against the Broncos.

MDS’s pick: Colts 28, Broncos 13.

Florio’s take: The Colts have developed a habit of playing well against good teams (Chiefs, Texans) and failing to beat teams they should easily handle (Chargers, Raiders). They can’t afford to slip against a team whose season already is sliding away.

Florio’s pick: Colts 27, Broncos 13.

Buccaneers at Titans

MDS’s take: Benching Marcus Mariota for Ryan Tannehill was the right move, and I think the Titans will benefit from it against a Buccaneers team that it starting to come to the same realization about Jameis Winston that the Titans came to about Mariota.

MDS’s pick: Titans 20, Buccaneers 17.

Florio’s take: The first two picks in the 2015 draft meet again, with one of them on the sideline and the other one close to ending up there. Advantage, team that benched its top-two pick.

Florio’s pick: Titans 24, Buccaneers 20.

Cardinals at Saints

MDS’s take: The Saints are 5-0 with Teddy Bridgewater, and whether he starts his sixth game or Drew Brees returns, they should win against a Cardinals team that is playing better recently but not quite there yet.

MDS’s pick: Saints 27, Cardinals 17.

Florio’s take: Drew Brees is likely back. Even without him, Saints keep roling.

Florio’s pick: Saints 31, Cardinals 13.

Bengals at Rams

MDS’s take: It’s been an ugly season in Cincinnati and it’s not changing any time soon. The Rams will roll.

MDS’s pick: Rams 31, Bengals 10.

Florio’s take: Another week, another get-right game for the Rams.

Florio’s pick: Rams 34, Bengals 13.

Jets at Jaguars

MDS’s take: The lingering humiliation from Monday night is going to take some time for the Jets to shake. The Jaguars won’t beat them as badly as the Patriots did, but the Jaguars will beat them.

MDS’s pick: Jaguars 24, Jets 20.

Florio’s take: Haley Joel Darnold may not be seeing dead people in Jacksonville, but he’ll see the home team finish with more points than the visitors.

Florio’s pick: Jaguars 24, Jets 10.

Giants at Lions

MDS’s take: The Lions are slipping after a strong start, but the Giants coming to town should make things easier.

MDS’s pick: Lions 28, Giants 14.

Florio’s take: The Lions could have won each of their last three games. They should beat the Giants, and it could get ugly.

Florio’s pick: Lions 28, Giants 17.

Chargers at Bears

MDS’s take: The Bears have made plenty of mistakes in building their offense, and those mistakes were on display last week against the Saints. But I think Matt Nagy is a smart enough coach to get things turned around quickly, and they’ll look much better against the Chargers.

MDS’s pick: Bears 24, Chargers 17.

Florio’s take: They were a combined 24-8 last year; this year, they’re a combined 5-8. If the Bears were facing anyone other than the Chargers, I’d have little faith in the Bears.

Florio’s pick: Bears 27, Chargers 17.

Eagles at Bills

MDS’s take: Logically, the 5-1 Bills should be the obvious choice at home against the 3-4 Eagles. And yet I just think the Eagles are better than their record suggests, and the Bills are worse.

MDS’s pick: Eagles 21, Bills 20.

Florio’s take: The Bills have won a lot of close games. It’s time for them to lose a close game against a desperate team.

Florio’s pick: Eagles 24, Bills 20.

Seahawks at Falcons

MDS’s take: The Falcons’ defense makes every quarterback look good, and Russell Wilson will be great in Atlanta on Sunday.

MDS’s pick: Seahawks 35, Falcons 10.

Florio’s take: A couple of years ago, the Falcons were good enough to beat the Seahawks in the playoffs. Now? Not.

Florio’s pick: Seahawks 34, Falcons 16.

Panthers at 49ers

MDS’s take: Kyle Allen has looked great so far as the Panthers’ starting quarterback, but he hasn’t faced a defense like San Francisco’s. He’s going to struggle on Sunday.

MDS’s pick: 49ers 14, Panthers 6.

Florio’s take: This one won’t be as easy as other recent games have been for the 49ers, but the undefeated season will find a way to continue — at least for now.

Florio’s pick: 49ers 24, Panthers 17.

Browns at Patriots

MDS’s take: This is not the defense for Baker Mayfield to get on track against. It could get ugly in New England.

MDS’s pick: Patriots 27, Browns 7.

Florio’s take: The Browns have a long way to go to become the Patriots. On Sunday, the Browns will find out just how far they have to go, the hard way.

Florio’s pick: Patriots 35, Browns 16.

Raiders at Texans

MDS’s take: The Raiders’ defense let Aaron Rodgers have a field day last week, and Deshaun Watson should have a huge game this week.

MDS’s pick: Texans 34, Raiders 13.

Florio’s take: Another week, another opportunity for Jon Gruden to watch an opposing quarterback who is much better than his current quarterback.

Florio’s pick: Texans 27, Raiders 23.

Packers at Chiefs

MDS’s take: What could have been a great game, Aaron Rodgers vs. Patrick Mahomes, now has just one of the great quarterbacks. As a result, I’m picking the Packers to win a game when I otherwise would have bet on the Chiefs.

MDS’s pick: Packers 24, Chiefs 20.

Florio’s take: Mahomes or no Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers is operating on a different level.

Florio’s pick: Packers 34, Chiefs 27.

Dolphins at Steelers

MDS’s take: The Steelers aren’t very good this year, but they don’t have to be to beat the Dolphins.

MDS’s pick: Steelers 21, Dolphins 10.

Florio’s take: The Steelers show up in prime time. The Dolphins show up at no time.

Florio’s pick: Steelers 31, Dolphins 10.

79 responses to “PFT’s Week Eight picks

1. Lions lose to the Giants and fall deeper into their home of last place for the past 62 years.

#lastplacelions

2. This is a best case scenario for the Vikings to play a prime time game against a bad team. They can prove to themselves that they can play on a national stage. Possibly a good learning experience for when they face the better teams down the road and in January.

3. Most of these games are a snoozefest. Is anyone else more interested in the trade rumors? The best three games this week are probably the Eagles vs. Bills, Panthers vs. 49ers, and Packers vs. Chiefs.

4. If Mahomes was 100%, GB loses by at least 2 TD’s. It would be more if the officials weren’t wearing packers jerseys under their stripes.

5. Aaron Rodgers is operating on a different level.
    ___________

For one game, at least. Against the 31st-ranked pass defense in the NFL. But okay, I guess he’s back to 2009-2014 level.

6. “Denver seems to see this season is going nowhere, and the Emmanuel Sanders trade may not be the last deal the Broncos make……”

But that’s news to the front office! Listen, the Sanders deal was simply just to air out the locker room. There was A LOT behind the scenes with Emmanuel. The team is still holding out hope to turn things around this year, for some reason. I’d be a little surprised to see another deal go down based on that notion.

7. at the end of the day anything can happen any given sunday thus the term “upset” or a thousand and one other comments you can put there. bottom line is everyone who is talking and predicting is NOT on the field. so that being said, while everyone has my Chiefs losing this game I believe you are going to see a team that will show up, show its heart, its fight and what its really made of! if not, I am going to have a hard time living this one down. Go Chiefs!

8. I hope Adrian’s fumblitis returns and Keenum continues his conversion from king to a pumpkin tonight.

And I don’t get the first guy above picking on the Lions all the time — talk about kicking a fan base that’s been down for about, well, perpetuity.

9. I’d like to see the Bills beat the Eagles this weekend. They Eagles are super motivated to right the ship and turn their season around, so if the Bills can hold them off it would show they are getting closer to becoming that playoff team they are trying to build. They lose and it’s not the end of the world, but indicates more work is needed.

10. Jets might beat the Jags.
    Chargers might beat the Bears.
    Dolphins might surprise the Steelers.
    Panthers might surprise 49ers.
    Giants might beat Lions.
    And Browns-Patriots will be closer than you think.

11. I enjoy seeing the Patriots’ defense break records. Contrary to popular belief, this is fantastic for football these days. Last year, we saw scores like 54-5

12. Not a Patriot hater at all but….Sorry, Patriots have not faced a competent offense yet. I’m sure they’re good. I just don’t think they’re the powerhouse they appear to be. Their offense isn’t that good either. Browns get the dub and shock the sheeple.

13. toddm6d says:
    October 24, 2019 at 12:06 pm
    Cousins will feel the sting of defeat as Keenum slings the Minneapolis Miracle 2.0.

Redskins 17 Vikings 14
    —————————————

I think you’re on to something buddy. If I were you I’d call Vegas and bet the farm.

14. stipez says:
    October 24, 2019 at 12:48 pm
    My prison is Dolphins Steelers on Monday night with the boogar.
    ————————————–

That qualifies as cruel and inhumane punishment, tbh it sounds closer to the 5th ring of hades than an incarceration

15. TribeOfOne says:
    October 24, 2019 at 12:58 pm

0 0 Rate This

——————-

Trust me when I tell you, you’re wrong. Playing semantics is pathetic. Listen to yourself.

So, instead of allowing 3 points or a shutout and they allow, say 10 points to a competent offense, this means allowing 10 points as opposed to a less than 7 point average like they are now?

Listen to yourself. It’s historical going back to the SB vs the Rams.

They’re deeper, better, etc.

And, the offense will improve every week as they go. You know it and I know it.

16. Anyone who thinks the Panthers will do anything against the Niners defense needs their head examined. The offense will have a big day with the addition of Emmanuel Sanders.

My very intelligent and well thought out pick: Niners 31 Panthers 6

17. K.C. is playing cutesie with Mahomes “practicing” this week. Hope the kid does not do more damage to that knee.

18. Patriots 38 Browns 13 this will be a laugher I think some turnovers from Mayfield and some passing and running to James White gets the Pats the win. Bills 20 Eagles 10 Wentz looks awful and the Bills will feast on his mistakes. Vikings 41 Redskins 17 Cousins going up against a team with a losing record is easy pickings.

19. LionshaveStaffordforoveradecadeandZEROplayoffwins says:
    October 24, 2019 at 11:59 am

#lastplacelions

***************************************************
    And when the Bears get blown up in the offseason, with Pace, Nagy, and Mitch getting shown the door….I will keep my name just for you, knowing I was right. I wouldn’t call the Chargers a gimmie with that Bear offense either.

20. Titans over Bucs – as long as JW is in the game it is like The Titans have 12 on the field against the Bucs 10.

Saints over Cards – Saints are playing top notch ball this season.

Seahawks over Falcons – Falcons are struggling way more than the Seahawks are this year.

49ers over Panthers – I see this to be a great game so i go with home team!

21. The Steelers are coming of of a bye week against the Dolphins coming off of a tough loss to the Bills last Sunday. The Steelers are 14 point home favorites. But the gibberish spouting Mike Tomlin is their head coach. Take the Fins and the points and bet the farm.

22. TribeOfOne says:
    October 24, 2019 at 12:58 pm

——-

So how about you enumerate the “competent” offenses in the NFL just so we can keep track

23. tylawspick6 says:
    October 24, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Listen to yourself. It’s historical going back to the SB vs the Rams.

They’re deeper, better, etc.

And, the offense will improve every week as they go. You know it and I know it.

________
    Listen to yourself. All I hear is homer homer homer. Time to be objective. The Superbowl was the Rams with hurt Gurley, and we’ve seen how they’ve struggled without him this year. The Patriots haven’t played one offense in the top 15 offenses yet. The terrible Jets twice, the defense driven Bills 16-10… Great offense there. Played a diminished and depleted Steelers team. The Redskins. No comment needed. The Dolphins. There’s an offensive juggernaut. And the hapless Giants even put up 14 on ya. Tom Brady is falling to the ground as he throws the ball to avoid contact. They were lucky to escape with a win against Buffalo. When they run into a team with good defense and offense, they’ll lose. It’s too early to crown the Patriots defense as historically great when all they have played is bottom feeders. Like I said, they’re probably good. I don’t buy they overhype with the inflated numbers die to a trash schedule.

24. ARod(in his collarbone) says:
    October 24, 2019 at 12:19 pm
    If Mahomes was 100%, GB loses by at least 2 TD’s.

—–

So if Mahomes was 100%, the Vikings would lose by 4 TDs?

Because the Packers offense/Defense is at least 2 TDs better than the Yikes.

25. TrubiskyIsGarbageAndTheBearsShouldHaveDraftedMahommes says:
    October 24, 2019 at 1:17 pm

LionshaveStaffordforoveradecadeandZEROplayoffwins says:
    October 24, 2019 at 11:59 am

#lastplacelions

***************************************************

______________________

If I had a nickel for every time you said you were “right” or your failed predictions on here, I would have a jet on standby to take me anywhere in the world.

The Lions are bad, Patricia is a failure and they’re in last place, both which you claimed were not going to happen, not to mention – among 95% of all the other non-sense you post on here that never comes true.

26. Patriots 38 Browns 13 this will be a laugher I think some turnovers from Mayfield and some passing and running to James White gets the Pats the win. Bills 20 Eagles 10 Wentz looks awful and the Bills will feast on his mistakes. Vikings 41 Redskins 17 Cousins going up against a team with a losing record is easy pickings.

———-

The only reason I could see the Pats-Browns potentially being close is because this is pretty much the season for the Browns. Having said that, even if Mayfield was on top of his game, which he’s not, Belichick takes apart young QBs.

The Eagles make me nervous for the same reason – this game could either keep them in the division race or sink their season. I was hoping they’d beat the Cowboys just so they wouldn’t be in this desperate position this week. I’m glad it’s in Buffalo.

27. I’m not a Bucs fan, but their offensive struggles can’t be blamed entirely on Winston. How is he supposed to get anything done behind that offensive line? He was seemingly under pressure almost every snap against the Panthers. He had no room in the pocket and he couldn’t ever get into a rhythm. I’m not saying he’s a great QB by any means, but the blame for their struggles shouldn’t be just on him. Mike Evans looks disinterested at times; seems like he slows up on his routes a lot, and OJ Howard couldn’t catch a cold. The Bucs have an interesting decision to make as to what to do with Winston, but the offensive pieces around him aren’t helping him out much, other than Godwin, who is a fantastic receiver.

28. TribeOfOne says:
    October 24, 2019 at 12:58 pm

————

Is that the same thing people said about the Jets last week and than immediately forgot 9 min into the first quarter?

The Browns have all the pieces to be a great offense, but the Patriots D is as advertised. They’ve shut out 7 of the last 12 teams they’ve played in the first half winning 12 straight going back to last year including the playoffs. They won the Super Bowl against a good team with their defense.

The Browns turn the ball over a ton which makes this a tough match up.

If the Browns managed to upset the Patriots it would be a big story with many told-you-so’s, but if Patriots win it will be about how the Browns are still the Browns and they are 2-5 and the Patriots haven’t beaten anyone. It’s just how this season is, despite it being such a bad take.

29. JoeTorontoBlowsGoats says:
    October 24, 2019 at 2:00 pm

———-

————-

looking at the schedule, I think the Browns could still make a decent run, even if they lose this game. Maybe they will fall short in the end, but their schedule is favorable after this game. They still could get to 10-6.

30. October 24, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Redskins 17, Vikings 14

Don’t embarrass yourself even more than it already is.

31. Vikings lose to a fired up Redskins squad. The Vikings lost to the Bears, all you need to do is stop Dalvin Cook and put pressure on Cousins. The Vikings are the biggest NFC fraud and have been for 40 years.

32. TribeOfOne says:
    October 24, 2019 at 1:42 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    October 24, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Listen to yourself. It’s historical going back to the SB vs the Rams.

They’re deeper, better, etc.

And, the offense will improve every week as they go. You know it and I know it.

________
    ——————-

The Patriots still play Baltimore, Philly, Dallas, Houston and KC (likely with Mahomes). I assume you think at least one of those teams have a good offense, so I guess we will just have to wait and see instead rehashing the same story every week about how they haven’t played anyone. I mean they went to 3 Super Bowls in a row so I find it hard to believe that people think they are over hyped, but we can wait. That’s fine too.

33. tokyosandblaster says:
    October 24, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Because the Packers offense/Defense is at least 2 TDs better than the Yikes.
    ____________

The Vikings average 27.4 ppg on offense and 17.6 ppg on defense. The Packers average 26.3 ppg on offense and 19.9 ppg on defense. According to my Minnesota public school math, that’s a net of 3.4 ppg in favor of the Vikings, but you’re saying that adds up to at least 12 ppg in favor of the Packers? Explain.

34. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    October 24, 2019 at 2:50 pm
    tokyosandblaster says:
    October 24, 2019 at 1:52 pm
    Because the Packers offense/Defense is at least 2 TDs better than the Yikes.
    ____________

——

Gladly. We use the eye test.

The Packers have allowed a few teams (Vikings/Cowboys) to score a bunch in garbage time (40 points by my calculations).

The Packers, when adjusted to the opposition, have the 3rd best offense and the 7th best defense…and they’re just starting to gel on offense.

The Vikings, by comparison, have looked basically the same all season, and have, by the same metric, the 5th best offense and the 11th (yikes!) best defense.

Enjoy your day!

35. At some point in the next 6 weeks the Patriots will be most vulnerable. This is before they find their rhythm and identity on offense. The team with the most balanced strengths on O and D will beat them. Will it be Cleveland, Philly, Baltimore, or Kansas City? It’s going to be one of them.

36. bullcharger says:
    October 24, 2019 at 2:35 pm
    TribeOfOne says:
    October 24, 2019 at 12:58 pm

————

The Browns turn the ball over a ton which makes this a tough match up.

7 1 Rate This

—————–
    And the thing is, the only reason the Chiefs got back into that title game was due to phantom flags and the off PI that wasn’t called on Conley on that illegal pick a full 5 yards downfield when BB threw the tablet down in disgust as Goodell did all he could to help KC, too.

We’ve seen NE’s D do well against good offenses. It’s how the D works together, it’s extreme efficiency and continuity with guys who have played together for years.

Denying any of this is deluded desperation by Pats Haters who are jealous. It doesn’t mean the D will hold to 10 points or under vs the better offenses, but they might.

37. Does any fan base swing more wildly than our beloved little brother Vikings fans? From Super Bowl aspirations before the year and raising their offseason trophy banner to desperation and dispair after losing a few games, to now having illusions of that they are somehow relevant again after beating up on bad teams. Its exhausting keeping up with their emotional swings. Such crys for relevance from fans of a team that has literally never won anything of meaning.

38. Mike,

The only way the Browns score 16 is through a defensive score(s). No way is Baker the baby going to hang 16 on that NE defense

39. So when the Patriots beat Cleveland, Cleveland automatically become a “not real” team right? I mean these are still NFL teams and as we saw with Dallas getting beat by the Jets, anyone can win. The fact that the Patriots aren’t giving up TD’s should not escape you, this is a offense heavy league. How many shutouts have there been? 4, 2 by New England 2 by other teams. The defense shut out NYJ the first game as well, with both scores coming off a turnover and muffed punt. They’ve allowed 3 TD’s, I don’t care how they are playing, that’s hard in the NFL.

40. I think the Pats hang a huge number on the Browns and possibly end with a shutout. Don’t see the Eagles beating the Bills after that performance against the Cowboys.

41. Laces out goes 7-7, another horrendous performance by the football gossip queen. They really should have someone pick the games for him. He needs a stand in, someone who knows something about the game as its played on the field, not in the gossip sense.

42. Jaguars about to humilate Jets again ! N.E showed just how to rattle Darnalds cage and their D is just as good against the run ! Darnold takes a dirt nap in another blow out unless jags Run the ball to death !

43. As a Packers fan I was hoping to beat Mahomes when he was at 100% but that looks unlikely. Packers 27 Chiefs 17