Gronkowski suggests that he’ll unretire if NFL legalizes CBD

Getty Images

As the clock continues to tick toward the deadline for a 2019 return from tight end Rob Gronkowski, Gronk has hinted that he’ll return in 2020 — if the NFL makes one specific change to its rules.

Via Stefan Geller of the Boston Herald, Gronkowski called on the NFL to permit players to use CBD, suggesting that, if he’s allowed to use it, he’ll return to action.

“I don’t want to be banned from playing the sport I love because I’m using a product that anyone can buy right off the shelf at their local pharmacy,” Gronkowski said at a press conference. “I’m not really sure why it’s banned.”

Well, it’s banned because it’s on the list of banned substances. And it continues to be banned because the NFL refuses to make any changes to the list of banned substances without some sort of concession from the union.

Apart from any concession that the NFL may receive, Gronkowski has given the NFL an incentive to soften its stance.

“I also want to have the option to get back into the game, and if I’m banned next year I can’t,” Gronkowski said.

Gronkowski explained that “agony” from physical pain makes it hard to focus during meetings.

“I’m not saying you put this on and you’re going to be healed, that it’s a miracle,” Gronkowski said. “But you can apply this and it’ll help manage the pain, and then you can get treatment and it’ll be a lot less stressful to the body.”

Here are two important realities to consider regarding Gronkowski’s remarks. First, he has partnered with a CBD company. He’s getting paid by that CBD company to advocate for its use.

Second, and more importantly, the NFL’s current rules make it easy to use CBD during football season. If the player is clean during the offseason substance-abuse policy testing window that runs from late April to early August, the player can use CBD at will during training camp, the preseason, the regular season, and the postseason.

That reality makes Gronkowski’s not-so-subtle quid pro quo (there’s that phrase again) meaningless. If he really wants to return in 2020, he can use CBD during football season as long as he doesn’t test positive during his annual offseason test.

88 responses to “Gronkowski suggests that he’ll unretire if NFL legalizes CBD

1. Its nuts for the league to ban this. If you don’t know what CBD is, its the painkilling compound in marijuana that has zero psychoactive side effects, ie it does not and cannot get you high.

2. He just put himself in ‘the protocol’. He’s not coming back. It’s advertising.

You can’t concentrate because of the pain? I played major college baseball (14 starts per year, state of Florida, not to mention Fall baseball), and the pain in my elbow made me physically cry for about 15 minutes afterwards. My elbow hurts right now, decades later.

It’s a dull ache, now. Then, it was searing. You CAN’T concentrate for about 24 hours. We didn’t have anything but a towel and ice. I had to sleep in a jacket because of the AC. So yeah, we have ALL felt pain. But continued pain makes life suck. I just had a window of bad pain. Dull ache, you get used to.

Good luck in retirement. You were awesome to watch and deserve to be in the HOF.

So no,

3. I don’t see marinol on the NFL list of banned substances and marinol contains synthetic THC.

CBD contains no more than .3% THC to remain legal at the federal level.

4. It would be nice if he could make this one exception. Brady has never had a defense this dominant in his entire career. No fan wants to see it go to waste. He might wait until Dec. 2 to come back. He’s one of the very few tight ends who can block.

5. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    October 26, 2019 at 11:48 am
    CBD oil is like hiring a hooker and asking her to only cuddle

————–

You win the internet for the day lol.

6. johnnycantread says:
    October 26, 2019 at 11:33 am
    Rather have his happy oil than his career.
    Oh, brother!
    ____

Yes this happy oil removes pain and doesn’t get you high. Think of the children!!!

7. There is a huge difference between the hemp plant and marijuana plant. True both produce thc but the hemp plant does not produce enough to get You the high effect. Being in the medical field I am a big supporter of the cbc oil and it’s benefit to a wide range of positive results in the medical field! The NFL needs to get there head out of there rear and allow this product to be used! So does society!

8. Has anyone here actually tried CBD oil?

I’m shocked from my personal experience to see someone like Gronkowski claim that CBD does anything.

THC might do something. I haven’t tried it. CBD is different from THC and in my experience has no impact on anything. Not pain, not anxiety, not sleep. Nothing. I wanted badly for it to work, but I’ve walked away labeling CBD oil the same as any other “essential oil” a hunbot will try and sell you. It’s literal snake oil.

9. I agree with him on the CDB. But dude, you literally just retired and you are already talking about coming back. That’s pretty annoying.

10. Pats fans really are delusional with their comments about not wanting to waste a great defense with not having a less than great offense… This loathsome pathetic thought process about how they think they should be in every super bowl has reached a boiling point.

11. This right here is sickening…

“Well, it’s banned because it’s on the list of banned substances.
    And it continues to be banned because the NFL refuses to make
    any changes to the list of banned substances without some sort
    of concession from the union.”

Why would the NFL or the union hold the players health over their head for a “concession”?
    It’s incumbent upon the NFL to grant the players the BEST healthcare available, and it’s been
    proven that CBD/THC should be replacing Opiates in most circumstances.

Let’s not even talk about the disservice the pharmaceutical, alcohol, and tobacco industries do in suppressing marijuana globally.

12. “CBD is snake oil”

Um, its the scientifically proven pain killing component of marijuana that has no side effects and does not get you high. It is very effective for many people. There is nothing “snake oil” about it.

13. CBD shouldn’t trigger a positive result unless its “activated CBD” or something like that. Idk, I dont get tested, I dont use CBD.

However, I do know that if someone smokes too much THC, one way to counteract the effects of the THC is to, ironically, smoke a high-CBD strain. CBD literally counteracts the psychoactive effects of THC.

It is time to forget the Reefer Madness propaganda and take a modern scientific look at the cannabis plant.

14. “Has anyone here actually tried CBD oil?”

Yes and found it highly effective. I recovered from a broken hip and took nothing from the day after I got out of the hospital but cbd oil and topical cremes for the pain. It may not have worked for you but it works very well for lots of people.

You can go back to addictive opiates for painkilling if you want. Go right ahead.

15. I’ve used CBD oil for my upper back/neck pain. It did absolutely nothing. That’s not to say that it doesn’t work. A lot of former athletes are getting into the cannabis business (Mike Tyson, Dorian Yates). Best of luck to Gronk. He’s a great player.

16. Stay in barn big man your last catch was a great way to finish off a hell of a career you have nothing left to prove.

17. garyfromaccountsreceiveable says:
    October 26, 2019 at 12:44 pm

==============

Because there are billions of dollars at stake in NFL negotiations, and money rules everything. A few, or a few dozen, or hundreds of players’ careers ending early and messed-up lives afterward is small potatoes compared to the money they’re all angling for. It’s always been the business model, and it always will be to the full extent that it’s allowed to be.

18. If a guy tells you that CBD oil is a needed painkiller for him, it’s not an answer to tell him to just not use it during the offseason. Pain doesn’t have an offseason.

19. I thought they only test players for weed once during the spring. Wouldn’t that make him good to go for the rest of this season?

20. His playing future aside, Gronk is just being a salesman here. It seems to be working based on all the free publicity he is getting. He’s much smarter than he gets credit for.

21. you are wrong about your timing of passing offseason drugs test and then not being tested during the year – James Harrison never failed a drug test and yet was tested 6 or 7 times during one season.

22. The NFL does not need Gronk. Therefore they are not going to make any concessions to appease him and lure him back. The Patriots may want him back, but New England is not in position to make any concessions on behalf of the NFL.

23. According to this article, CBD can be used during the season but is banned in the off-season.

What’s the thinking behind that?

24. backintheday99 says:
    October 26, 2019 at 11:46 am

——————–

Oh man you had it so rough. Pain from college baseball LOL. Dude this guy is getting hammered by 250+ lb NFL defenders every week, save the sore elbow talk.

25. Lived through this way too many times with favre. Nothing more annoying than a player retiring, only to need the attention about making a comeback. Stay retired for God’s sake.

26. 8oneanddones says:
    October 26, 2019 at 1:19 pm

——————
    If he has been taking CBD all year and keeps taking it he wont pass in the spring. And if he comes back this year and never got tested last spring he can get tested right away as soon as he becomes active, and would fail. So he is right, they need to update their rules before there is even a point to him even considering it.

27. I’ve yet to meet a person claiming CBD works who isn’t already pro-weed. No independent double-blind scientific test has ever shown it to be more effective than a placebo. I do know a couple of non-weed users who’ve tried it for chronic pain and said it did nothing. That’s not to say research shouldn’t continue etc, but it ain’t no cure it’s just the angle being pushed by weeders wanting weed to be fully legal everywhere, and by extension justify their drug habit.

28. Yes, it’s an obvious sales pitch. But, does the NFL have a deal with Pharma concerning the opioids? Think it’s a bigger problem for the league than people think.They try to pitch player health and safety.

29. backintheday99 says:
    October 26, 2019 at 11:46 am

******************************************************************************

I can’t tell if you’re sympathizing with him, disagreeing with him, or just saying anything that comes to mind.

Also, sorry that you had to sleep with a jacket because of the AC. Sounds rough.

30. Happy oil? How uneducated can you be, it’s not thc, and it really does help with pain. Many chronic pain patients use it to reduce their opioid usage that all you idiots calling for stronger laws have now caused them to have a very hard time getting. The uneducated are unfortunately always the louds ones

31. johnnycantread says:
    October 26, 2019 at 11:33 am
    Rather have his happy oil than his career.
    Oh, brother!

———————————–

cbd has no psychoactive effects genius.

32. Love this guy, but to say you can’t focus in meetings because of the “agony and pain” is a bit of a stretch Gronk. Call it what it is, the players want to smoke some weed.

33. You deserve a raise Gronk being a CBD spokesman. The media gives you and CBD free advertisement. You may be able to play the media for a couple years. Congrats.

34. The NFL would love to have Gronk back (we all would) but quid pro quo negotiating for his return would set a dangerous precedent that I doubt the NFL would willingly enter into.

35. For this idiot and all the other anti-cannabis idiots on here- CBD oil doesn’t get you high. So sorry to disappoint

johnnycantread says:
    October 26, 2019 at 11:33 am
    Rather have his happy oil than his career.
    Oh, brother!

36. CBS oil is not new been around for decades the hemp plant has been used for making clothes and other house hold items. Was used successfully up to the late 30’s in many applications. Then the Fed government put a huge tax on it. Pres. Trump has made it legal to grow the hemp plant as a crop again. That said there is good CBD and bad do your research on line to get the Best grade possible. It works wonders!

37. Everything should be legal to use while playing professional football, and I mean everything, and if you aren’t man enough to use whatever you’d like then you should stay in knitting class it’s that simple

38. stillers1963 says:
    October 26, 2019 at 1:23 pm

—————————–

I think they only test for recreational drugs during the “4/20” window. The rest of the season they test for PED’s. At least I think that’s right.

39. Pats are 7-0, not exactly calling for him to save them. He retired stay retired.
    Besides if I’m a pat I don’t want a last minute walk on savior after I busted my balls all year.

40. Huge ego and narcissist so it is all about him. He is from Boston, so thinks the NFL should change rules just to get him back. At least he didn’t cheat like the rest of the Pats would have done.

41. There’s more to this story than has been printed here:

Gronk has acknowledged that he and others could pass the test if they only used CBD, but the NFL can also use his public statements that he has used the oil to suspend him if he returns; they don’t need a test for that. There’s the catch.

As far as his weight goes, he won’t need to add if he’s not asked to do much in the way of blocking. Would be a great modified WR in his current condition. Adding another 20lbs or so wouldn’t be much of a problem given the way muscle memory works. For those of you who have gone back to the weights after an injury, well, you know that’s true.

42. I seem to remember chandler jones walking into the police station naked after leaving a party at Gronk’s. He would up getting traded to Arizona. So I am suspicious about Gronk’s scientific opinion on banned substances.

43. Good CBD comes from good cannabis. CBD from Hemp is garbage. Why would the NFL even test for CBD to begin with?

44. Obviously, the NFL isn’t going to give in on CBD now, when they can use it as a bargaining chip for the next CBA. But they quietly raised their THC threshold for drug testing to 35 ng, I can’t imagine CBD use pushing it up that high. My understanding is they aren’t testing for “cannabinoids”, they are testing specifically for THC. That said, the CBD medication I prefer does contain a small amount of THC. The OTC non-THC meds don’t work for me. I’m in Colorado, it’s readily available, legal, and I’m retired so it’s a choice I’m comfortable with.

45. Gronk ! Stay retired You have nothing to prove and we want you healthy. CBD and cameras are the future of the NFL. Goodell is the ugly past and present.

46. Gronk did the pats dirty by waiting to retire. I have no use for him other than catching footballs. Time to go away Gronk. You are transparent. I understand you need to support 28 brothers but this is enough.

47. I Love Gronk. I can see him on the Gronk Party Bus with CBD I.V. Drip Bag and Magnum of Champagne. Guy Know s how to live!

48. isithockeyseasonyet says:

________

Okay, get numb then.

49. streetyson says:
    October 26, 2019 at 1:40 pm
    =============================

I sort of agree with you on the point of it not really doing a lot as far as pain goes. At least so far, for me it hasn’t done much. I’m not taking the hemp made variety either. I don’t smoke weed, nor take pain pills, never have, never want to, so I think I would know if it was helping me. I also think they should continue research, as I think it’s possible that MMJ could help people for a variety of ailments such as depression, anxiety etc. But, yeah, I’ve never seen a verified study that shows it helps.

50. turtlehut says:
    October 26, 2019 at 4:16 pm
    ——————-
    Actually Gronk is from the Buffalo area…

51. PFT loaded with old people that think Gronk is talking about the Devil’s Lettuce.

CBD oil would be a million times better for a player than the opioids the NFL doctors have been peddling.

52. Maybe CBD works for some people but it doesn’t do anything for me at all. Absolutely ZERO pain relief at all for me. In fact, most of the time it gives me a headache. I have tried many different ones, and nothing! Do not see the appeal unless you have seizures!

53. FootballSeasonRules says:
    October 26, 2019 at 11:53 am
    ————–
    Everyone’s defense would be dominate in the NFL if you played the equivalent Rutgers and Harvard every Sunday. Has the Patsies played an NFL offense that was even in the top 20 of the NFL?