Tom Brady says speculation about his future is just that

Getty Images

Tom Brady said any speculation about his future is just that.

The Patriots quarterback, who stated last week he didn’t understand why people care about his contract, responded to several questions about his future in his weekly conversation with Westwood One’s Jim Gray.

“None of it is brought on by the things I’ve said,” Brady said. “Again, I said last week, nothing has changed with my status of my team and my standing. I’ve really been focused on my job. A lot of the hype, a lot of the media speculation is just that. It’s probably that time of year where you don’t need to focus so much on the wins and losses. You start focusing on a lot of other things. The media has a right to do that. I certain don’t. I’m focused on what I need to do this year. We’re off to a good start. I want to capitalize here in the second half of the year. That’s where I am personally.”

Brady’s contract removed the possibility of the franchise tag in 2020, guaranteeing that — absent an extension — he will become a free agent in March. He long has given the Patriots a hometown discount, with his $23 million salary for this season ranking only 14th.

So what does his future hold? Don’t ask Brady.

“Again, I don’t know why it’s being brought up,” Brady said. “I had a good quote that came to mind. Someone told me the past and future are in the mind. I’m in the now. I think that’s a great way to live life. I’m not thinking about many things beyond this week. There are some family things I’m thinking about with the holidays coming up, but outside of that I’m thinking about football and how I can be the best for the New England Patriots.”

“I don’t really pay attention to it, and I’m the only one who knows how I feel,” Brady said. “I’ve said on countless times now that I’m in a great place personally, professionally. I love the organization I’m playing for. I look forward to the second half of the season.”

Earlier Monday, Patriots coach Bill Belichick said he wants to continue coaching after he turns 70. He is 67.

That would take him to the end of Brady’s career.

Brady, 42, has said he wants to play to 45. He reiterated that again Monday.

“I certainly hope so. I have expressed that a lot of times,” Brady said. “Again, I think it’s important for athletes to have short-term goals and long-term goals. I’ve said that number for a long time. I work pretty hard at it every day. I think that’s part of me being a professional and giving my best to the team is making sure my body’s in great condition, that I’m able to take the field. I take pride in that. I’m not a robot out there. It’s a lot of time and energy, and I enjoy putting my time and energy in those places, taking care of myself, hopefully to afford myself the ability to play as long as I want to play and I also really love the sport and I enjoy playing. Not many things have changed on that front.”

46 responses to “Tom Brady says speculation about his future is just that

1. Brady is never playing anywhere other than NE. Anyone that reports otherwise deserves to have their press credentials revoked.

2. Tom Brady does as Tom Brady wants. He’s a pure stud. Unless he gets injured he will retire on HIS terms. Best football player I have ever seen. PERIOD. And I hate New England.

3. If Brady stays much longer, when the game starts, he’ll be shaking his fist and yelling at the players, “Get offa my grass, you whippersnappers!”
    And Belilchick will be like, “Hush, Tommy! Matlock’s coming on!”

4. 2 reasons why people are wondering about his future.

1. His current contract has an option for him to become a free agent in 2020

2. He recently put his house in Boston up for sale. If he intends to finish his career in New England, he may not want to do that.

5. Personally I think the reporter in question who brought all of this up likes hearing himself talk, and the Patriots are probably the ones feeding him some of the misinformation to make him look bad when all of his speculating turns out to be false

6. Ive seen a lot of greats in my time, Marino, Tarkenton, Fouts, Montanna, Young, but no one like Brady…..eva. A QB such as him come along once in a lifetime, kinda like Michael Jordan. A game changer! Hes more than earned the right to call it quits when he is ready. Being a Vikings fan Im very pro Patriot because I have be witness to a true Dynasty over the years. I have no hate at all, but marvel at what TB and BB have done. It will never be duplicated in the NFL again, its history for people like me who love this game!

7. The MEDIA needs the Patriots & Brady…. they fabricate drama when there is none as it get the fans of other teams excited that there actually be something happening that will end the two decade long dynasty….it is MORE PROBABLE THAN NOT the Media is wrong & those fans hoping disaster has finally struck in New England are once again being left DEFLATED….

8. Brady signs a $150M/3yr guaranteed deal and brings Gronk, AB and Josh Gordon with him. To finish out his career in Miami.

9. The problem with the Patriots may come down to contract length. Belichick probably wants to go year-to-year with him. Ideally, you have Brady one more year and move on to Stidham. Brady may want a 2-year deal.

The Patriots have four very key players that deserve big contracts: Kyle Van Noy, Joe Thuney, Devin McCourty and Adam Butler. McCourty is 33, but playing some of the best football of his career. Van Noy has simply developed into a great player. I will never understand Butler and how he, all of the sudden, became great. Almost forgot Jamie Collins. He’s playing better than he did in his first go around with the team. It is hard to believe that in two drafts, the Pats got Hightower, Collins, and Chandler Jones.

10. All this talk of trade or retirement. Its the medias way of getting the haters to sleep at night.

11. Belichick didn’t say he’d coach beyond 70. He simply stated that he’s become more open to that possibility as he’s grown older, so get your facts straight.

12. californianewton says:
    October 28, 2019 at 10:28 pm
    2 reasons why people are wondering about his future.

1. His current contract has an option for him to become a free agent in 2020

——————-+
    Actually neither of those details mean anything. Remember when the apt in NY meant he was hone a couple years ago? How about the new house they are building? Why doesn’t that get listed as a meaningful detail? Because it negates one if yoyr other star details? And as far as your suggestion that this is the first year Brady can walk away thats made up nonsense, he has been able to walk away every year, the haters have even had a good time predicting it every year. The fact is folks just decide they want to to say Brady is leaving then they start looking for their little pieces of confirmation bias they can wave around.

13. californianewton says:
    October 28, 2019 at 10:28 pm
    2 reasons why people are wondering about his future.

1. His current contract has an option for him to become a free agent in 2020

——————

Brady has places to live all over the place. He could have bought another condo in Boston and nobody would know plus Connecticut is not exactly San Mateo.

The contract is what it is. No answers are coming before the end of the season so speculation isn’t irrelevant.

14. “While saying he is unbothered by the speculation, Brady sounded bothered. He repeatedly wondered “why all this is coming up.””
    ———————-

NICE TRY. Brady isn’t bothered by the actual speculation or what other people thinks – but when media keeps asking HIM about it over and over, that’s what is annoying.

15. Justme400e says:
    October 28, 2019 at 11:40 pm

He wouldn’t be that stupid and doesn’t need the money. Oh and Gordon in Miami is a brilliant idea, no temptations there.

16. I think it’s absolutely insane to think that Brady will not end his career with the Pats. Robert Kraft considers him a son and will do anything for TB12 to finish his career in NE. Kraft, Brady and BB sat down at the beginning of the season and know what the future holds. If anything this is Tom’s last season hence why they’ve been trying to improve the team with receivers and OL to get that stairway to seven Lombardi. Brady will never play for another team, the reporters writing this speculative stories are truly lacking common sense and are over imaginative.

17. Unlike many non-Patriot fans, I respect Tom Brady and consider him the GOAT at the QB position but watching him this year it is obvious he needs to retire before he gets hurt. Father Time is undefeated and if Brady continues to push his luck, I fear his career will end like Steve Young’s (being carted off the field unconscious). Brady should ride the defense and finish this season with dignity (and possibly another Super Bowl win) and then walk away.

18. Unlike many non-Patriot fans, I respect Tom Brady and consider him the GOAT at the QB position but watching him this year it is obvious he needs to retire before he gets hurt. Father Time is undefeated and if Brady continues to push his luck, I fear his career will end like Steve Young’s (being carted off the field unconscious). Brady should ride the defense and finish this season with dignity (and possibly another Super Bowl win) and then walk away.

He Lost his probowl Center, Newhouse completely sucks, has no continuity with the Wr’s (exception is Edelman)..Father Time is still on the bench as this has nothing to do with him, but the components around Brady

19. Go Pats! Go Brady! Best QB, no, best FOOTBALL PLAYER who has ever played the game. Having Brady is like having a second head coach, only this one is on the field, not the sidelines or in the booth. AND he’s a good looking stud with a Goddess for a wife, a great family, and… count ’em… SIX rings, going on 7…and 8…and 9…. Haters gonna hate, but stats don’t lie. Those rings are real, not fake. GOAT!

20. There is no reason to speculate about Brady leaving the Patriots.

People are basing this entirely on a scene from Living With Yourself that some interpreted as a shot at Robert Kraft when it wasn’t. These are the “sources” that NFL “insiders” are citing for these Brady stories.

Why would Brady leave and why would the Patriots not want him? Stidham hasn’t proven himself yet and Brady is not starting over with a new team at 43. He is also aware of how damaging it would be to his legacy if he even went 8-8 with a new team next season, let alone worse.

Brady will either retire or stay in New England.

21. The 24 hour media cycle means that news outlets need to create news to talk about to fill air time….Boston sports stations (radio and TV) have become a complete joke. They are more like TMZ sports. They would rather discuss conjecture inside someones head than the games played….It’s laughable and why I have stopped watching and listening….The only thing I watch are the actual games…I could care less how some brain dead media person interprets an athletes words….

22. Brady wont retire until he breaks all of Peyton Manning’s records. By the way, Manning retired at age 38.

23. People fail to appreciate what a steward of the game Brady has been. Each generation needs 5-6 great players to carry the sport forward, and Brady has been at the forefront of his. After every game opposing players line up to shake his hand or ask for a jersey, opposing coaches take their hats off before speaking to him. Love him or hate him, we all owe him a debt of gratitude for the last 20 years. And for the exact same reasons, Brady refusing to retire until Goodell is out the door and a competent Commissioner is in place will be his greatest gift to the sport he loves.

24. These “interviews” Jim Gray does with Brady are a joke. All they boil down to are Gray throwing softballs to Brady and Brady thinking he hits them out of the park. It was painful to listen to Brady speak yet not actually say anything. Jim Gray has went from decent reporter to a schmuck that is only on the radio because he can get Brady to come on with him. Brady is so touchy feely with his comments that it’s literally wasted time. Nothing of substance EVER comes from these.

25. wolverineinnc says:
    October 29, 2019 at 9:13 am
    ————————–
    Spoken like a true homer. Lawrence Taylor? Jerry Rice? Jim Brown? Brady has played in an era and position where he is greatly protected. The league created and enforce rules just to keep Brady in the game so Kraft and the other owners can maximize their profits.

26. frankthefightingfanboy says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:42 am
    ——————————–

So he could not stay healthy or are you implying it has taken Brady longer? Brady has played 93% of his games outdoors while Manning played 49% of his indoors. Manning definitely had an advantage there. I am a huge Manning fan and wish he could have lasted longer.

27. frankthefightingfanboy says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:42 am

—–

Brady already owns the major records that actually matter:

6 SB wins
    9 AFC Championships
    30 postseason wins….the next closest is Montana with 16

28. rogergoodellmyhero says:
    October 29, 2019 at 11:17 am
    wolverineinnc says:
    October 29, 2019 at 9:13 am
    ————————–
    ————————————–

Spoken like crybaby. Do you call any other fans talking about the team they root for “homers” or do you save that for the Pats. Why are the Pats on your mind 24/7?

29. patsarticlemustpost says:
    October 29, 2019 at 11:38 am
    —————————
    Ah there she is my pet. Looks like I am so in your head rent free. I noticed you didn’t have any material to debate my comments, just try to slander me. Is that the Patriot way?

30. rogergoodellmyhero says:
    October 29, 2019 at 1:40 pm
    patsarticlemustpost says:
    October 29, 2019 at 11:38 am
    —————————
    ———————–

Slander? Do you not cry on Pats articles constantly? I did not disagree with you dummy. I brought up the “homer” piece which you neglected to defend yourself. You also did not even bother with obsessing about the Pats 24/7. Because you post nonstop on these boards and I respond does not mean you are in my head. It means I am responding to a dumb post you make on here. Like I said before, you are the one inserting yourself into these comment sections about a team you do not like. If the Pats were not in you head you would not post about them. Seems pretty simple to me but that logic fails on you.

31. frankthefightingfanboy says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:42 am

—–
    Brady will never break PEDton’s one and done record. That one will stand forever. Tee hee 🙂

32. SWFLPC.INC says:
    October 29, 2019 at 11:24 am
    frankthefightingfanboy says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:42 am
    —–
    Brady already owns the major records that actually matter:
    6 SB wins
    9 AFC Championships
    30 postseason wins….the next closest is Montana with 16

—-
    Not the one and done record! That belongs to PEDton. 🙂

33. All intelligent football fans know that GOAT Tom Brady has had not one but TWO credible Hall of Fame careers. Pre 2008 injury and post injury.

I think they should make two presentations to Brady at Canton with two busts made for him. Only fitting.

🙂

34. rogergoodellmyhero says:
    October 29, 2019 at 1:40 pm
    patsarticlemustpost says:
    October 29, 2019 at 11:38 am
    —————————

Too bad about your jills. 🙂

Still, and forever will be, 0-4 in games that matter. Nobody circles the bowl like the buffalo jills.

Tee hee 🙂