Andy Reid loves that Patrick Mahomes wants to play, but it’s up to doctors

Getty Images

Before the Chiefs lost to the Packers on Sunday night, Patrick Mahomes told Michele Tafoya of NBC that his knee injury would not have kept him out of the lineup had it been a postseason game.

Given that feeling, Mahomes’s presence at practice last week and three losses in the last four games, it’s not hard to picture Mahomes being back in action against the Vikings in Week Nine. Head coach Andy Reid isn’t ready to make any calls about Mahomes’s status for this week, but he does like the quarterback’s mental approach to getting back in action.

“Isn’t that what you love about him?” Reid said, via the Kansas City Star. “I mean, he was telling me that he wanted to go back in when he hurt it the first time in the Denver game. So, that’s him. Who wants to slow that down — that thinking at least — and then it’s important the medical people take care of it from there.”

In addition to the medical evaluation, Reid said he’ll be looking to see if Mahomes can “do the things that he needs to be able to do to play in the game.” Should he clear both of those hurdles, Mahomes will be back in the saddle this weekend.

68 responses to “Andy Reid loves that Patrick Mahomes wants to play, but it’s up to doctors

1. As a Patriot fan, I’d like to see him play ASAP. He’ll likely be like a wounded duck out there. If I were a KC fan, I’d want to see him wait until his knee and ankle are close to 100%. They are going to win the west regardless. A healthy Mahomes is capable of beating anyone anywhere once in the playoffs – if he’s healthy and has Hill and Watkins.

2. The Chiefs doctors clearing him to practice last week is a strong sign that he is playing this week.

It is true when Andy Reid says it is up to the doctors whether he plays or not, but I also feel the doctors are leaning towards that because of the clearance to practice only a few days after the actual injury. Doctors also are the ones who clear a player to practice.

Game time this week it will be nearly 3 weeks since the injury and many have said he was “close to playing” last week.

If the Vikings coaches are wondering if Pat Mahomes is playing this week, we can safely tell them to expect to see him starting.

The Vikings little fan🤥 will be triggered by this post. Oh well.

3. Despite losing 3 of 4, they still hold a two game lead on the division. I hope he does play against the Vikes, but I can’t imagine why Reid would rush him back for a non-division game. I don’t think anybody really considers anybody else in their division a threat to win it???

4. Unless Mahomes has 100% mobility he won’t stand a chance of reaching the AFCCG, let alone trying to get past the Pats D, as Reid of course knows.

5. He’s not playing if the Chef’s have any sense. His patellar tendon was stretched beyond it’s normal limit and it is injured and recovering. It is not and cannot be recovered in a little over a week.

That makes his knee subject to injury more easily and with a worse outcome if it is re-injured. The next hit may mean his patellar tendon pulls a piece of bone off the top of his leg and then he’s done for the year and may never be the same or it tears and he needs reconstructive surgery.

Give it 3-4 weeks and let the heal properly. If the Chef’s doctors have any sense and control over the situation them he will be on the sidelines. If the team gets desperate and throws him out there they are being short sighted, greedy and risking their future over one game. (It’s Andy Reid so we probably know the answer!)

6. They should wait until he’s 100%, the vikes will just relentlessly attack if he shows weakness.

I’m a vikes fan but love this kid and would hate for him to cause more damage rushing back in.

7. vikestand says:
    October 29, 2019 at 8:41 am
    **************************************************
    Chiefs are 5-3 and the Raiders are 3-4, if the Raiders win their game in hand then they’re just one game back and they play each other again.

8. I just can’t believe Andy looked up from his play sheet long enough to even make that comment

9. Don’t you love when the little fan boy on the internet thinks he knows more than actual doctors about Patrick Mahomes injury.

He will keep posting on multiple SN’s that it would be stupid for Mahomes to play because he is totally melting down over his Vikings having to face a good Chiefs team with Mahomes. Not too confident in the Vikings is he.

Keep downvoting my posts multiple times from the same IP Addy.👌

#PoorBarney

10. Take care of that injury, bub.
    If you wind up with a peg leg, the only QB job you’ll get is with the Buccaneers.

11. Packer fans have been telling us the last two days that Matt Moore is just as good as Patrick Mahomes so beating the Mahomes-less Chiefs was just as good a victory as beating Mahomes. I’m not sure I agree with that, but if that’s true, it wouldn’t make any sense to take any risks with Mahomes. Personally, I’d love to see him play so we’ll just see how it turns out.

12. The way the Chiefs played on Sunday scoring 24 points without Patrick. I don’t believe Andy Reid or anyone is rushing Mahomes back prematurely. Matt Moore looked really good in the 4th quarter for his first start in 2 years.

13. He’s probably the most entertaining NFL player to watch, and Minnesotans have a further connection cause his dad came up with the Twins; however, I sure wouldn’t mind waiting until after this weekend’s game to see him play again.

14. “Packers fans have been telling us that Matt Moore is just as good as Patrick Mahomes.”

==========

Stellarperformance is not a Packers fan. Stellarperformance is just one of your countless SN’s. Are you really still thinking some people don’t know what you do here?

#PoorBarney

15. My take as a Vikings fan, they play the Chiefs Sunday whether Mahomes plays or not, its that simple. There are plenty of other weapons like Hill, Kelcie and that RB Williams I think his name is to worry about.

If he doesn’t play, okay cool Vikes get a break, if he does he does. An athlete could have his arm falling off and he still is going to tell the coach he’s ready to play. Main thing is will he be able to protect himself if he gets into trouble. Every player is banged up this time of year, its not so much who you play as when you play them. That front 7 of Minnesota is pretty good and one of the best in the league at getting to the QB, do you risk it for one game? One big hit or trying to juke someone and you re-injure it could be season ending. If he is not mobile, the O line has to play the game of their lives.

That’s a tough call man and I for one am glad I don’t have to make it. I think this is the only team that can topple the Patriots right now and can go really deep and to the AFC Championship, too much at stake I’d sit em. Especially against a Defense that is top 5 according to NFL.com.

Even if Mahomes plays and the Vikes win, the media and the Cheezers woudl say the Vikes still haven’t played anybody tough…..lol

16. Cameron Helms says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:30 am

He will play this weekend. Look at what everyone said about Brees coming back too soon.
    ——————————————–

And Suddenly over night everyone gets their Doctors Degree on the internet, knees are totally different than thumbs, and I’m not even a doctor and I know that…..lol

17. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:24 am
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Since when do you listen to Packer fans (oh wait…..I know, when it’s convenient for you!) You have eyes of your own, I assume? Anybody who watched that game would say Moore played more than admirably. Beating the Chiefs at Arrowhead, prime time, is hard. When your quarterback throws 70%, 2TD’s, no turnovers, and a QBR nearing 108, it doesn’t take the observations of Packer fans to know Moore did very well.

18. If he is hopping around like in the PFT video it would be insane to have him play against the Vikings. Hunter and Griffen will be on him all day and it won’t be very pretty…

19. He’s just saying that so when he forces him too play this week he won’t get blamed when he blows his knee out

20. That’s why pure pocket passers will always be on top of the NFL. You need to be able to win games from pocket to have long term success in this league. As great as Mahomes is, if you keep in pocket all game he will not be the same QB. That’s the aspect of his game he needs to develop.

21. I’m a Vikings fan, but I am also a huge Mahomes fan. His dad played for the Twins and the kid just seems like a great person. I want to watch Mahomes play for a long time. If he cannot move and avoid the pass rush, you simply cannot put him out there against the Vikings. If he can move and can protect himself, then he should play.

The Chiefs Defense ranks 24th. 30th against the #3 Vikings Rush. Whether Mahomes plays or not, the Chiefs aren’t guaranteed a win.

22. jjfootball says:
    October 29, 2019 at 11:29 am
    If Andy Reid is so great why isn’t he still in Philly?
    ////////
    Exhibit A: Punts ball back to Packers on a 4th and 3 with 5 minutes to go, and down 7 points. Never gets ball back.

23. “Packers fans have been telling us that Matt Moore is just as good as Patrick Mahomes.”

==========

#PoorBarney
    ____________________________________

Seems someone is a bit obsessive and butt hurt today. Maybe you, waffle and tokyo can go get some sushi again

24. stellarperformance says:
    October 29, 2019 at 11:09 am
    ////////
    Dude, just stop. You beat the Chiefs because Mahomes didn’t play. Making Moore looks good should be an apology from your defense, not a puff out your chest and brag that your QB outscored a Mahomes-less Chiefs team. Not to mention part of the reason you won is a patented Andy Reid meltdown decision with the game on the line.

I don’t know why you can’t admit that. Your team plays like that in the playoffs, and you’re 1 and done. Plain and simple. Again, you hung on to win against a team that was missing it’s MVP QB.

25. Isn’t it comical that packer fans are posting/wishing/hoping/obsessing about the Vikings?

I’m betting Mahomes plays. But for his long term health, he should sit. They still have the division lead with division games left.

26. Let the doctors decide who to bandage up Sunday. Mahomes, Moore… does not matter because who ever is under center for the chiefs is going to get pummeled by the Vikes.

27. mrdarkness13 says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:42 am

——–
    That’s exactly correct. The Packers and Vikings have the same schedule except for 2 games.
    Yet, the packers are great and Vikings haven’t played anybody.

Packers: Chicago, MN, Denver, Dallas, Oakland, Philly, Det, KC
    The team with the best record in that group? MN 6-2.

But I hope Mahomes heals fast. He is fun to watch.

28. stellarperformance says:
    October 29, 2019 at 11:09 am

Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:24 am
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

___________

What you don’t understand is that there’s a difference between Moore playing well and Moore playing as well as Mahomes would have played. You’re trying to make your victory look better by pointing out that you didn’t do much to stop the backup quarterback. Mahomes is better than any other quarterback in the league, but you want us to believe that he couldn’t do better than Matt Moore. Viking fans would at least be embarrassed that our defense got lit up like that.

But why am I talking to you? I’ve been told you’re me.

29. He is totally rattled now and posting and changing SN’s at a rapid pace.

I told y’all this week would be pure entertainment!

Enjoy.👍😉

30. It should be a good game either way. Reid is good at scheming for his QB.

The Packers were able to make necessary adjustments at halftime to counter what was working for them.

The Vikings should be able to do the same thing. It’s just a matter of if Reid can make secondary adjustments and be better at managing the clock.

If Mahomes plays, I like the Chiefs by a field goal. If he doesn’t, I like the Vikings by a TD or less.

31. The average QBR of the eight opposing quarterbacks that have played the Vikings is 95.3. Their two losses (Rodgers 101.2 and Daniel 101.4) skew the average. Moore had a QBR of nearly 108 against the Packers. Even if Mahomes doesn’t play, it will still be a very tough game for the Vikings. If he does play, same thing.

32. You’re better than that Rob. That’s troll talk. well, maybe you aren’t better than that. It’s conor mcleoud talk & you aren’t an idiot like that tool. Close though.

Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:24 am

33. stellarperformance says:
    October 29, 2019 at 12:36 pm

—————————————————————-

You should form a band called Grasping at Straws! Packas nation is doing everything they can to justify beating a Mahomesless KC team.

34. freefromwhatyouare says:
    October 29, 2019 at 10:33 am

==========

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I’ve been on PFT for about 5 years. Changed my SN once to kapptocousins when the Vikings signed Cousins. I have read many comments made by stellerperformance, and responded to many comments made by stellerperformance. He is a die hard packer fan. even the year that Rodgers fell down and hurt his shoulder causing him to miss the rest of the season, stella stayed til the end. Not sure what you are.

35. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    October 29, 2019 at 11:28 am
    ===

Mahomes’ ankle injury was exacerbated by having one of his offensive linemen stepping onto his lower leg on a developing pass attempt while Mahomes was back-pedaling inside the pocket.

Mahomes’ knee injury occurred during a QB sneak, when one of his own linemen kneed him during the play.

None of Mahomes’ injuries have ever occurred while he has been outside the pocket, creating successful plays from busted ones.

FFS

36. Cheezer Cheezer you in dem Bones
    Barely beat KC without Mahomes
    Philly beat you Lions almost did too
    But the Refs throw a flag for you

Cheezer Cheezer
    You thought your defense great
    Look at em now 6 notches above 28
    No need to cry or be blue
    the defense ranked at 22

Cheezer Cheezer is the Cheer
    Join me now have a beer

Cheezer Cheezer for everyone
    come play-off time you’ll be one and done

37. I think it’s so cute that fans of a team that won’t make the playoffs can only say “yeah, well, the Packers will be one and done!”

Keep in mind that these same idiots also projected that the Packers would have a losing season and be fourth in the North.

With easy wins against the Chargers, Redskins, Giants, and Vikings, the worst the Packers can do is 11-5. And that’s if they can’t beat the Bears at home (they can), The Lions in Detroit (they can) and the Panthers at home (they probably will). The Niners in San Fran actually looks like the biggest challenge.

38. freefromwhatyouare:
    ——————
    From what I remember, Steller is a Packer fan living in Minnesota. Just because he acknowledges when a team or player does well, doesn’t make him a Viking fan in disguise, it just makes him a somewhat rational person, unlike yourself blinded by anger. Ahh, but what the hell do I know.

39. Oh so now Packas are 11-5 with half the season to go, ya know 5 of those last 8 games are on the road and I’ve heard a nasty rumor that A A Ron is .500 on the road. Won’t make the play-offs huh? I’m a realist maybe Vikes make it maybe they don’t – its 50-50 right now Cheezer. No wins are easy in the NFL and nothing is guaranteed. Couple plays here and there you find yourself fighting for a play-off spot

“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”

― Lao Tzu

40. Vikings fans: Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, never underestimate an opponent.

Also Vikings fans: the Packers will be one and done in the playoffs. I guarantee it.

41. tokyosandblaster says:
    October 29, 2019 at 2:46 pm

I’ve heard a nasty rumor that Kirky is a .500 QB.
    ————————————————————
    That is factual and correct – However, Cousins still at this point of the season has a better completion percentage and QBR than Rodgers. Odd isn’t it. But it doesn’t count right? I mean Cousins hasn’t gone up against any good defense right? I mean Oakland isn’t a good defense right? Ya know the same Oakland team St A A Ron had a career day against correct? This coming from the same guy who Thinks Aaron Jones is better than Cook, you’re such a great football mind.

42. The stats dictate what they dictate.

In their careers, here are the stats.

Player A: yards per carry 4.9, yards per catch 8.6, 15 TDs.
    Player B: yards per carry 5.0, yards per catch 8.4, 24 TDs

Pretty much the same all the way down the line, until…one of them has 9 more TDs than the other.

43. Vikings may end up breaking his other knee. not a good pass rush to come back to. also, delvin cook may literally run 300 yards on this team

44. tokyosandblaster says:
    October 29, 2019 at 3:13 pm

The stats dictate what they dictate.

In their careers, here are the stats.

Player A: yards per carry 4.9, yards per catch 8.6, 15 TDs.
    Player B: yards per carry 5.0, yards per catch 8.4, 24 TDs

—————————————————–

Not talking careers man I’m talking about this season, still not bad career numbers for a guy who blew out his ACL his rookie year.

Number through 8 game THIS year

Runs over 20 yards 6
    9 Tds
    Avg per game 102.9

45. stellarperformance says:
    October 29, 2019 at 12:36 pm

___________

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here. So if a backup quarterback has a good game against the Packers’ horrible defense, that means the Vikings are bad?

46. I’m saying it won’t matter which KC QB the Vikings face. They will have a difficult time winning, because Moore can lead that team. Mahomes’ QBR average after six complete games is 112. Moore played confidently against the Packers with a QBR of 108. As I said……minimal drop off.

47. tokyosandblaster says:
    October 29, 2019 at 3:28 pm

Cherry picking stats is what losers do.
    __________

This from the guy who used average yards per game to claim that Marquez Valdes-Scantling is better than Adam Thielen.

48. I agree with Stellar, everyone is saying that if Mahomes was starting the Chiefs would have beat GB… Mahomes would have been a sitting duck back there. Moore isn’t very mobile, but I don’t think Mahomes would have been more mobile given his current status. He threw for 2 TDs and almost 270 yards without turning the ball over. How much better would Mahomes have done based on his season avg. 40 more passing yards…. but hes average about 2 TDs a game.

Moore was deffinetly ready to play especially with the extra time, and while the Chiefs are still banged up they have VERY dynamic athletes all over that field, including someone who is considered the best TE in the league, along with what could be the fastest WR core in the NFL along with who many consider to be the FASTEST player in the league, and everyone knows that speed kills int he NFL.

49. freefromwhatyouare says:
    October 29, 2019 at 9:42 am

Keep downvoting my posts multiple times from the same IP Addy.👌

#PoorBarney

1. You were caught in here last summer posting on fake vikings fan name. Nobody you are accusing of having a fake name were ever caught. like you were.
    2. Your “medical diagnosis” of LaFluer’s Achilles tear was completely wrong yet you kept posting it over and over.,
    3. I think you might need some more cheese. there there

50. Tokyosandblaster says:

October 29, 2019 at 3:28 pm

Cherry picking stats is what losers do.
    _______________________________

Actually, losers put blinders on to reality. So here’s reality for you.

Pre-Adams injury: 47 rec, 301yds, 1td in 28 career games

Prr-Adams injury: 22 rec, 280yds, 3td in 4 games

Jones is being force fed the ball because outside of Adams the Packers don’t have a starting caliber receiver. Period.

And just for the sake of the argument, Dalvin Cook has 2480 yds/scr and and 80 rec for 688 yrs in 23 career games. Jones has 2225 yds/scr and 69 rec for 583 yds in 32 career games. There is absolutely no criteria that justifies proclaiming Jones to be better than Cook, and no one outside of Green Bay would even consider it. Just be happy that he’s a Good, productive RB and leave it at that