Report: Za’Darius Smith ticketed for marijuana possession

Getty Images

Packers outside linebacker Za'Darius Smith has a hearing in a Wisconsin courtroom next week after getting tickets for speeding and possessing marijuana or synthetic marijuana, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

The citations are not criminal charges, but they still make him subject to discipline from the NFL.

Police stopped Smith for going 81 mph in a 60 mph zone on Sept. 29 as he and teammates Rashan Gary and Kingsley Keke were returning to Green Bay from a trip to Chicago.

Police found three hollowed-out cigars filled with marijuana and a vaping cartridge in a duffel bag in the rear of the SUV, according to the newspaper.

Smith said, “What weed?” before adding, “I’ll put it on me,” when asked a second time if the blunts and the vaping cartridge were his, per the Journal Sentinel.

All three players briefly were placed in handcuffs, but police released them after giving Smith the two citations.

“The Packers are aware of the matter involving Za’Darius Smith,” a team spokesperson told the newspaper Friday. “We will refrain from making any further comment as it is a legal matter.”

75 responses to “Report: Za’Darius Smith ticketed for marijuana possession

1. This happened while all players were with the Vikings. He’s been clean since joining the Packers.

2. Any pothead worth his salt knows you don’t speed when you’ve got something in the car. Dumb move. Hope it doesn’t effect his availability later this season.

3. It should be decriminalized….. hut if part of your job is dont get caught with it get a mule or something to drop it off… so you dont get yourself in this spot… it isnt the end ofnthe world…. but it doesn’t look good.

4. I’d bet more than half the players smoke weed. The NFL is just giving itself bad press and PR. Just stop testing for it. The NBA is smart enough to just not care. Otherwise they’d have huge issues weekly. Wake up NFL, this is a problem you help create. In a few years when this is federally legal, this is all gonna seem so silly.

5. I’m just glad he wasn’t sited for operating under the influence. Nothing worse than risking other people’s lives because you’re too dumb to call Uber. I’d be really ashamed if players on my team did something like.

6. Packas fans rationalizing, I said it in the Kearse thread, breaking the law is breaking the law. Oh buts it’s a Packa…..smdh

7. pkrlvr says:
    November 1, 2019 at 6:34 pm
    —–
    PSAs
    “In a hurry? Don’t fool yourself, speed kills”
    “Too much? Shocking speeding advert shows children getting crushed by car”

8. breaking the law is breaking the law
    —-
    Exactly, that’s why every criminal gets the same punishment.

9. “In a hurry? Don’t fool yourself, speed kills”
    —–
    So speeding and dui are the comparable now? Must be why the cops hauled one guy to jail and sent the other on his way with a ticket.

10. pkrlvr says:
    November 1, 2019 at 6:49 pm
    “In a hurry? Don’t fool yourself, speed kills”
    —–

who said that? just because both put other people in danger does not mean they are comparable.

11. pkrlvr says:
    November 1, 2019 at 6:47 pm
    breaking the law is breaking the law
    —-
    Exactly, that’s why every criminal gets the same punishment
    ————

Not nessceesarily, I’ve arrested people who didnt get the same punishment. A lot depends on priors.

12. pkrlvr says:
    November 1, 2019 at 6:34 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

High on weed is under the influence, however I wouldn’t expect a packer fan to figure that out. After all, they do call themselves the green and gold when it’s clearly yellow.

13. What does Kerela have to do with this? Kerala is a state on the southwestern Malabar Coast of India.
    —–
    Was gonna say the same then figured it was some new slang the middle-schoolers are using now days and didn’t want to seem uncool🤔

14. The NFL does not take any action until court proceedings are completely resolved. Doubtful there would be any discipline by the NFL this season.

There was no controlled substance in his system. That I am thankful for. I would be much more upset if that were the case and he was driving and putting 2 teammates at risk.

Quite stupid to have a duffel bag in the back of your SUV with weed in it and I am sure Z feels the same way. If any suspension is handed out next season it would be minimal for this offense.

I am not pleased with this news, but glad it wasn’t a more problematic situation.

15. High on weed is under the influence, however I wouldn’t expect a packer fan to figure that out.
    —–
    And you think the cops would have sent him on his merry way if he was determined to be under the influence? That’s not how it works.

16. breaking the law is breaking the law
    —-
    Exactly, that’s why every criminal gets the same punishment
    ————
    ——
    And the crime committed I imagine

17. I would be much more upset if that were the case and he was driving and putting 2 teammates at risk.

Putting the general public at risk is not a problem as long as Packer players are not at risk? In green bay packer player’s lives are worth more than the general public. Football worship is not a good thing.

18. Why is weed illegal? In a duffel bag in the trunk? These guys get pounded on every week, who cares if they want to smoke a bit and relax? #noonecares

19. I drove stoned once back in college heading southbound on 41. Got about 10 miles south of GB before my friend told me to pull over since I was going 40 in a 55.

20. My job prohibits the use of marijuana, and also does random drug testing. Guess how I get around it? I don’t. I follow the rules to keep my employment. Just a dumb move by this guy.

21. Wow, the trolls are loving this one! I didn’t realize how deeply affected they were by being returned to their proper place in the Packers’ rearview mirror. It obviously bothers them. A lot.

22. The car must’ve stunk and it gave them probable cause. If he was driving under the influence, throw the book at him.

23. stellarperformance says:
    November 1, 2019 at 7:41 pm
    ——————————-
    Watching a Packers game probably affects them more than this article.Lion’s fans would probably disagree with your rear view comment since they actually won fair and square.

24. bhcpaul1989 says:
    November 1, 2019 at 7:52 pm
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sure they did.

(poor guy.)

25. ARod(in his collarbone) says:
    November 1, 2019 at 7:02 pm

____________

A hundred percent correct, but the officer said they dodnt show any signs of impairment, much like, just cuz you have a case of beer in the car dorsnt mean you have been drinking

26. soisaystotheguyi says:
    November 1, 2019 at 6:05 pm
    —————————————————-
    Smith has been with the Packers since March. This event happened in September. BTW, Smith came from the Ravens.

27. He wasn’t under the influence or he would have been arrested. He was ticketed and has future court appearance to settle out the legalities. WI allows restricted use of medical weed so if he produces a Dr. note he doesn’t even pay a fine. 3 swisher sweets maybe holds total of 3.5 grams, the fine for which is less than an open alcohol container in public.

28. This stinks of racial profiling. I don’t know why you would search someone’s duffle-bag in the trunk for going 81 in a 60. When I was 23, I got pulled over, with my buddy in the car, for going 80 in a 55 and I got a speeding ticket, that’s it.

29. I was pulled over in Wisconsin several years ago and the cop wanted to search my trunk. Why? No idea. There was zero probable cause and I could have declined, but I wasn’t hiding anything and this was before I saw Making a Murderer, so I told him to go ahead. The lesson here is if you’re carrying then decline their odd request to search the trunk. I’m pretty sure that’s what all those “just say no” commercials are all about.

30. Is it just me, or is there something wrong about police going through a car over a speeding violation. Something must have prompted the search.

31. So I guess a speeding violation warrants a complete search of a vehicle? They’re even checking duffel bags in the back of the SUV lol.

32. Great response. “What Weed? LOL He should get that put on a shirt.

He was smart to say “I’ll put it on me” instead of “Yes it’s mine”. Semantics but words mean a lot in court. A good lawyer can work with that.

33. ” ……… in a duffel bag in the rear of the SUV”

No marijuana smell coming from the vehicle.

No charges of driving while impaired.

This is really small potatoes stuff.

34. Why is he searching your car and he you were pulled over for speeding? Never consent to that.
    ——
    I agree. Been in that situation and when I wouldn’t give consent, they just brought a dog. When a dog alerts they no longer need your consent. It’s quite a racquet.

35. According to reports from the Racine County Sheriff’s Office, Smith was driving a gray 2019 GMC Yukon northbound on Interstate 94 about 5:30 p.m. when deputies clocked him going 81 mph in a 60 mph construction zone.

A deputy activated his lights and pulled Smith over on the ramp to county Highway 20. Because a deputy smelled the odor of marijuana, all three players were asked to step out and were handcuffed and questioned separately.

Smith told a deputy he had smoked some marijuana earlier before the group left an apartment in Chicago to return to Green Bay.

36. The little guy is so obsessed that he is making stuff as usual. Poor Barney.

None of the 3 were under the influence of marijuana or anything else. The reason Z said “What weed?” is because he didn’t know it was there. It was not his duffel bag and he most likely took the rap for a teammate.

Because the ticket was only for possession of a very small amount and not use, this is really a big nothing burger. Doubtful there is any suspension at all next season.

Focus is on the Chargers game.☝🏈👊

37. cut and pasted from the journal sentinel. look it up your self and see who is the one making stuff up.
    Green Bay where, evidently, the let impaired drivers back to their car to drive away….if they are packer football players
    However nice job covering it up for a month!

38. It’s not close to bad as not bothering to investigate a threat of armed violence in a hotel lobby requiring employees and patrons alike to barricade themselves in safety, once the police learned it was Griffen. For the police, it suddenly became “Boys will be boys! Those darn Viking players! Did this guy forget there’s a big game coming up? Nothing to see here!”