Lamar Jackson isn’t worried about getting injured

Getty Images

Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson hates to run. But that’s not because he’s worried about getting injured.

In an interview with Mike Tirico of NBC’s Football Night in America, Jackson pushed back against the perception that he’s taking too many hits.

“I’m not,” Jackson said. “Gotta watch the game up close. I’m not really taking no hits. I got it figured out. . . . You can get hurt in practice on the dropback. Knock on wood. . . . So you can get hurt doing anything. It don’t matter if you’re running. You can be scratching [and] hurt yourself. I play ball to win. I don’t worry about getting injured.”

So, Tirico asked, when Jackson hears people question whether Jackson can last when running as much as he does, what does he say?

“I can’t say nothing,” Jackson said. “That’s your own opinion. I’m going to play ball. And I’m going to do what got me here to help me succeed [and] help my team keep winning. That’s all I can do. I can’t stop you guys from saying nothing.”

Jackson may not be running much on Sunday night against the Patriots, if New England coach Bill Belichick does what he usually does and takes away what the opponent’s offense does best. Jackson is looking forward to that, since it will give him the green light to throw.

“I’m going to do it,” Jackson said regarding the plan to air it out if the Patriots clamp down on the run. “Definitely. Like we [do] in the backyard, if I got to. Gonna play ball.”

Look for the Patriots to also try to be physical with Jackson when he does run. Not in the #Bountygate way, but in the “If you’re going to play like a running back, we’re going to hit you like a running back” sense. With all the protections afforded to quarterbacks, too many defensive players are wired to shy away from hitting quarterbacks, even when they shed all quarterback protections.

Belichick doesn’t coach his players to do that. Case in point: The hit that knocked out Bills quarterback Josh Allen in Week Four.

When many were calling for Patriots defensive back Jonathan Jones to be ejected, fined, and/or suspended, Belichick defended the play. Belichick, as further evidence of his mastery of every rule of the game, realizes that it’s open season on any quarterback who runs and doesn’t slide.

Discussing that topic post-Bountygate is a delicate proposition, to be sure. But football is still football, and the Xs and Os and statistics and analytics still yield, in many respects, to the sheer physicality that continues to have a place in the game, even if the window for using it has narrowed considerably.

For Jackson on Sunday night against the Patriots, it’s definitely something to keep in mind whenever he decides to run with the ball.

47 responses to “Lamar Jackson isn’t worried about getting injured

1. Not in the #Bountygate way, but in the “If you’re going to play like a running back, we’re going to hit you like a running back” sense
    ________________
    Sports writers and fans across America went bananas when the Pats did that in Buffalo. Did you forget that already?

2. If he runs he is fair game…..as long as he isn’t sliding that is…don’t like seeing any player get hurt in the act of trying to help their team but it’s the risk THEY CHOOSE to take then so be it…

3. The fastest player on the Patriots Defense is Gilmore who ran a 4.0 forty 7 years ago. Jackson ran a 4.34. Any spy you put in Jackson is at a disadvantage from a pure speed prospective. There are very few running backs in the NFL that run a sub 4.0. Jackson should be compared to a slot WR, not a RB. I’m real interested to see how much BB sends 6-7 man blitzes at Jackson. I believe that’s the best way to confuse him and force mistakes, but if he breaks containment against the blitz, then it could lead to a bunch of big runs. Personally I think they stay back in a soft zone and bank on Brady winning it in a low scoring game.

4. johnnycantread says:
    November 2, 2019 at 10:24 am
    He should be worried after the Pats cheap-shotted Josh Allen.
    ———————————————
    So when Allen used HIS HELMET to hit the Patriots player in the SIDE of his helmet the Pats player is the cheap shot artist??? Yes he got flagged because it INVOLVED a QB, but upon league review he wasn’t even fined for it because actual film showed the helmet to helmet hit was initiated by Allen….. but don’t let facts or reality get in the way of your comments….or jealousy & envy for that matter.

5. Rushing 3-4 consistently is probably the key, not even Jackson can juke 3 people for long runs every time. Also it takes away the wide open deep balls.

Patriots will likely face Wentz, Prescott, Watson, and Mahomes in the coming weeks so stiffer tests are on the horizon.

6. I was watching the Bills/Pats game with a bunch of Bills fans when Jones delivered the Hit on Allen and that’s all I heard is what a dirty hit it was. Sorry, but if you’re going to turn yourself into a running back you’re going to get hit like one. If you don’t want to get hit then “Lay Down”. If defensive players let up any these mobile QBs will take advantage for extra yards and TDs so it isn’t happening. As for Jackson not being afraid of getting hurt, that’s because he hasn’t lost an NFL season to a knee injury yet. He’ll smarten up after that happens and so will his coaches who apparently aren’t afraid right now either.

7. I’ll be there. And if he takes off and runs, I expect the Patriots to knock him into next week. Once he’s past the line of scrimmage, he’s a running back and should be treated as such. Whole different set of rules. Likely with their secondary, they will force him to pass.

8. Brees
    Ben
    Mahomes
    Foles
    Mccoy
    Flacco

All stay in the pocket and were injured this year. 3 are done for the year. If you play QB you probably will get injured at some point.

I think most folks that keep harping on Lamar getting injured kind of want him to.

9. pointtwopsiistheissue says:
    November 2, 2019 at 10:50 am
    How convenient that it was omitted from the article that Jonathan Jones was NOT fined for that play, so Bill was not the only one who had no issue with the play, the NFL didn’t either!
    —————————————————

10. danielsong39 says:
    November 2, 2019 at 10:53 am

———————————–

Correct analysis. We’ll see some 3-4 packages and schemes to make him run down the middle. Big games needed from Van Noy/Guy and Simon/Cowart(?)

Is it me or the 6’3 300 lb Cowart,(5th rd gem possible) been lurking in the weeds for this on the weakside in a 3-4 DE look?

If you can lock down the edges most of the night, Collins and McCourty can spy up the middle.

Throw Gilmore on Andrews (a la Talib on Graham in 2013, etc), and remove him from the game. That’s Jackson’s 1st read, outside of playaction or slants to Brown.

I would guess zone for everyone else and man for Gilmore on Andrews.

JC Jackson on Boykin, McCourty on Snead. JOn Jones underneath on Brown, with Harmon single high over the top.

Ball game.

11. I would think that very few players in the NFL are worried about being injured, at least during the game. If that is in your head during the game, it is probably time to move on to your life’s work.

12. Further proof QB’s are favored to a fault. If the league were serious about head hits Allen should have been fined for that one.

Until it happens to Brady you will view things in a jaded way. I don’t wish injury to a player just to dishonest homers such as you.

13. Lamar isn’t just extending himself to get a couple yards, he is extending and diving into the endzone with three guys all hitting him trying hard to keep him from scoring.

If he doesn’t think that he will eventually get hurt making these plays at the speed he is going I wish him the best…but expect the worst.

Watch Russell Wilson…he slides when a defender even gets close when the play and yardage isn’t crucial. You will only see him dive for it when it’s do-or-die. Even then he is looking to throw it first.

Lamar runs a college wishbone type offense seems like…he’s going to get his head taken off by a linebacker at some point and everyone will say I told you so.

What I wonder though is…without his reckless abandon and crazy running plays…would he be a top QB? Could he get by as a dropback passer like Russell Wilson does? He needs to start learning now if possible to have a long career imho.

14. I dread the day when Lamar gets Injured and all the couch potatoes saying ‘I told you so’. Brees broke him thumb for God”s sakes staying in the pocket. Jackson is just trying to win a game, run or throw. If you are scared to get hit then you stop winning. Ask Cam Newton.

15. “I’m not really taking no hits … I can’t say nothing … I can’t stop you guys from saying nothing”

Even when Lamar is negative he is so negative that he is positive.

16. “I remember the next day, coach Belichick said to me, and I will never forget this, he said, ‘Hey Brady, if you want to have a career in this league, when you’re running like that you either throw the ball away or slide.’ I will never forget coach Belichick telling me that,” Brady said on WEEI.

17. What causes a QB to get hurt?
    Getting hit.
    Whether it’s in the pocket or running,the key to avoiding injury is to avoid a big hit.

A mobile QB needs to slide rather than trade blows with a DB. You may gain a yard or two less but you avoid the big hits.

Look at the mobile QBs who get hurt, like Mike Vick used to. It’s from taking hits. Thats what happened to Cam Newton.

Slide and you can run and stay healthy.

18. Glad to hear it I’m calling it now Jackson will become first. QB TO RUSH FOR 100 yds vs Bellicheck , also Ravens will win by 10 pts or more

19. There is definitely a long line of commenters that are just waiting for Lamar to get injured just so they can say “Told you so”. Injuries are inevitable and Lamar is not stupid. His game has come a long way from what it was when he took over last November. As a Ravens fan it has been a lot of fun watching him evolve over the short amount of time he has been the starter. “Not bad for a Running Back”.

20. tylawspick6 says:

“I would guess zone for everyone else and man for Gilmore on Andrews.”

If they put Gilmore on Andrews, look for Hollywood Brown to score 2-3 long TDs. Of course, I think Belichick is smarter than tylawspick6, so I expect to see Gilmore on Brown most of the time, which will allow Andrews and Hurst to work the middle of the field, especially if they try to contain Jackson from getting outside. Of course Andrews will need to catch the passes thrown his way, more like what he has done in the past, and unlike last week. If he does, it will be a long night for Patriots D.

21. The fastest player on the Patriots Defense is Gilmore who ran a 4.0 forty 7 years ago.
    ______________
    He ran a 4.4 40 yard dash. Nobody on the planet has run a 4.0 40. 4.22 is the record by John Ross. Usain Bolt was only able to tie that record. Turn down the inner homer a little bit. Lamar Jackson will juke anyone in the NFL. His shiftiness is absolutely incredible. Not saying the Ravens will win.
    There was an article not too long ago that showed pocket passers are injured at the same rate as scramblers. Just look at all the QBs injured this year, Foles, Big Ben, Brees, Trubisky, Flacco, Mahomes..

22. “Belichick, as further evidence of his mastery of every rule of the game”
    +++++++++++
    No argument there. To cheat the system, you have to know the system.

23. richa52 says:
    November 2, 2019 at 1:51 pm
    tylawspick6 says:

“I would guess zone for everyone else and man for Gilmore on Andrews.”

2 1 Rate This

—————

Brown is a rookie on a gimpy foot. That said, if healthy, Gilmore does not have the speed to keep up with Brown or Tyreek Hill.

You certainly are not smart. lol

Expect them to treat Brown lke Tyreek Hill and he will be eliminated.

Pats know how to handle Mahomes/Hill and they will do the same to Jackson and his moving around using the rpo gimmick deep to Brown.

24. TribeOfOne says:
    November 2, 2019 at 1:56 pm
    ______________
    —————————-
    Thank you for correcting him so I didn’t have to.
    Additionally this guy said Lamar runs a 4.34 which is interesting because he didn’t run the 40 at the combine. No clue where he came up with that.

25. The Pats won’t play zone. They are the best man coverage secondary in the league. They will set the edge, keep containment and force Lamar to beat them with his arm. This isn’t some new offense.

26. Lamar is like Michael Vick, players admire him so they don’t try to injure him. Even when he makes them look silly on the field. Cam Newton used to taunt defenders with his superman antics so defenders used to have it out for him.

27. dsigrey says:
    November 2, 2019 at 9:07 pm
    —————————————
    He cannot be contained. And man coverage is the worst possible defense to run against Lamar. Ravens will just send the receivers deep and lamar will rip off 7 yard runs all day.

28. He will be out for 6 weeks after today. Couldn’t happen to a more classless organization than the Ravens. He seems like a nice fella though…..