Aaron Rodgers sends a message after ugly loss in L.A.

Getty Images

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers never says anything he doesn’t mean, and everything he says always has meaning.

So consider what he said on Sunday, after the Packers suffered an ugly loss in L.A. against the Chargers.

“We’ve got to be honest with our routine and the decisions we made in the last 48 hours, and make sure that our head is in the right place the next time we come on a big road trip,” Rodgers told reporters after the 26-11 defeat.

Although he also said that the previously 7-1 Packers were served a helping of humble pie, he didn’t blame the butt-whupping entirely on a team that had grown satisfied with its positive results.

“I don’t think it was complacency at all,” Rodgers said. “I just think whether it was the trip, not everybody taking care of themselves the right way over the two days, or we were just tired, or the differences in temperature. But those are just excuses, and the facts are that we just weren’t locked in from the start, and that’s a little disappointing.”

Rodgers recently told NBC’s Mike Tirico that “I know what I’m doing” when speaking at press conferences, and Rodgers surely knew what he was doing on Sunday. It’s not entirely clear what Rodgers was addressing, but it’s clear that one or more teammates did or failed to do something that allowed them to be ready to go, perhaps by enjoying themselves a little too much during their time in L.A.

The Packers have a chance to get things right on Sunday against the Panthers. Then, after a bye week, the Packers close with four of six games on the road, including trips to San Francisco, Minnesota, and Detroit.

73 responses to “Aaron Rodgers sends a message after ugly loss in L.A.

1. Tony Romo also made reference to that early in the game. There was concern from the head coach about that as well. Perhaps Aaron and the Head coach are on the same page and presenting the message in agreement. New head coach, first trip of any real distance, maybe there was some learning going on there.

2. Players clearly partied too hard. Why this is hard for people to comprehend is remarkable. They probably still would have lost as they were also out-coached on both sides of the ball.

3. “Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers…., and everything he says always has meaning.”

I don’t get the love fest for Erin. He’s an NFL QB, so what he says can be taken in the context of him being a jock, with hurt feelings from the NFL draft, nothing more.

4. it meant exactly what it sounded like. Guys went out partying too late on this trip. Then you have a desperate team against a complacent and perhaps over confident team and throw in the old adage “on any given Sunday” and there you go.

5. It’s called Passive Agression and he has been doing this his whole career. If people on your team partied to hard, go into the locker room and be a leader. Don’t use the media to hold your teammates accountable.

6. Differences in temperature, what?
    —–
    Self explanatory no?

It’s in the 30’s in Green Bay and the 80’s in LA.

7. It’s called Passive Agression and he has been doing this his whole career. If people on your team partied to hard, go into the locker room and be a leader. Don’t use the media to hold your teammates accountable.
    —–
    How do you know he didn’t? One doesn’t preclude the other.

8. FWIW, the Pack have lost 6 straight on the Sunday after the daylight savings time switch.

I tend to put the blame squarely on the Chargers. They were clearly the better team in all areas. A good old fashioned, richly deserved butt kicking. All the way around.

9. I don’t get the love fest for Erin.
    —–
    And I don’t get why (presumably) grown men think it’s clever to call him Erin, so I guess we have something in common.

10. The fact is other than Devante Adams, the Packers don’t have a receiver or tight end who can get open when Rodgers has to get the ball out fast to avoid rush like Bosa or Ingraham. LaFleur thought a bigger guy would work well in the Slot, but they haven’t. They need a shifty Slot or mobile TE.

11. When Aaron said “I miss the warm California sun”, and then was asked if he would like to come back, a question from a local San Diego beat writer, Aaron said “ I would love to end my career in So Cal”. Maybe Aaron is trying to play his way out of cold colorless gb.

12. I’m really glad Rodgers has spoken up over this disappointing loss.
    It’s what leaders do.
    And it’s what he’s always done.

It’s the general consensus that GB’s younger players treated this road game with less the mentality of a serious business trip and more of an entertaining weekend.
    Or maybe it was just a case of believing their own press clippings.
    Regardless, they simply didn’t show up to play football.
    Not as a team anyway.

No excuses are necessary, really, they were completely outplayed yesterday in all three phases of the game, and the Chargers deserve all the credit for their own success.

In the end, no real damage was done.
    Though no loss should be considered acceptable, it was a non-conference game, and with every NFC North team losing the Packers were able to maintain their 2 game lead.
    Though the haters will continue to howl and throw uneducated insults as their frustration grows, absolutely nothing has changed, Green Bay is still in complete control of their own destiny.

This will be a significant test for this young coach, who’s basically had an almost flawless start to his career.
    How Matt LaFleur chooses to address last weekend’s debacle will go a long way into seeing whether this team sinks or swims the rest of the way.
    Two really big NFC contests lie directly ahead, I’m definitely curious to see exactly how this coach reacts and how this team rebounds.

13. Hopefully these players learn from their mistakes, all things considered the Packers team is very young, and may need reminding to focus on the business aspect of things on trips moving forward, after all that needs to be the priority as it is youre job… when you have a team that doesn’t care what priorities are, you end up wtih whatever the Cleveland Browns are cooking up this season, that is unacceptable.

14. Maybe Aaron is trying to play his way out of cold colorless gb.
    —–
    Ironically it’s 44 in GB right now while it’s 38 in Minneapolis.

15. Sounds like Rodgers was including himself when he talked about the decisions “we” made in the last 48 hours. Clearly, he was out partying with the boys and that’s why he played like garbage.

16. The way my Packers played yesterday we would have been beaten by the jets, the dolphins, the browns, heck any team that would have suited up. I had a feeling when the chargers started on their own 2 and milked out most of the 1st qtr that it was not going to be a good result. The defense was supposed to get better in year 2, yes they added some nice people but the defense is regressing quickly, So much for adjustments. I’m surprised with the 7-2 start which besides the cowboy game they should be 1-8 or 2-7. I cant drink the kool laid unless they learn how to lay the hammer down and stop a team from converting every 3rd down. Time to take a blood pressure pill!!!!!

17. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    November 4, 2019 at 5:27 pm
    —-
    I highly doubt Rodgers associates with anybody in that organization off the football field.

18. A better message would be; “I’m the leader of this team and I take the blame for the lousy play on offense”.
    —–
    He probably should apologize…

19. Mr Rodgers It’s Great That You Are Upset That Some Of Your Teammates Didn’t Show Up in L. A. But You Pretty Much Sucked Yourself!!

20. At least the players and coaches agree. He didn’t have to cave and apologize to whiny, petulant prima donna’s.

21. Just say it Rodgers: “I played QB about as ineffective and inept as a guy being paid 2 mil per game can play versus the Chargers. I held the ball too long, got four first downs, couldn’t completed a pass on third down for 10 yards, could not drive the offense into Charger territory until late in the third quarter and left my defense on the field for 80% of the game while they held the Chargers to four field goals…and I couldn’t even drive the Packer offense to score one TD until garbage time, late in the game!” Any NFL back up QB would have played a lot better than Rodgers played against the Chargers. It was painful to watch such a dreadful performance by an “elite” QB!

22. Viking fan always looking up at his daddy Green Bay with so much envy.

Little guy wants so bad for Packers fans to think of him as a rival. The funny part is that no one even reads 95% of his posts.

He spends every second of every day here crying while others are out enjoying successful careers and happy lives.

Poor Barney

23. I guess it was the receivers that were hung over and not running the correct routes because Erin was missing throws by a mile.

24. pkrlvr says:
    November 4, 2019 at 4:07 pm
    I don’t get the love fest for Erin.
    —–
    ———–

Attempting to insult a man by insinuating he is feminine has always been an insult to women, but especially so in a supposedly modern world. Just shows that misogynists will unfortunately always be with us.

25. It’s refreshing to hear an established, winning quarterback critique not only his own performance, but that of all his teammates and coaches……and they all agree with him! The alternative would be to apologize on-cue to whoever throws a tantrum and demands an apology, but that would be beyond wimpy to do such a thing.

26. marvin1958 says:
    November 4, 2019 at 4:04 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agreed. Mike Spofford at the Packers website said something I found very insightful. “You’re never as good as your best game and you’re never as bad as your worst game.” I think that’s something we should all try to remember, no matter what team we root for.

27. Bad day at the office for the Cheezer team and their fans, move on and get ready for the Panthers who are 5-3 and have a great ground attack with that Christian McCaffrey kid who is explosive in the run game as well as in the passing game. According to ESPN, the Packers defense has allowed 39 plays of 20 plus yards. Panthers are better than San Dieago by far but it wont’ change anything both Packers and Vikings lose Sunday.

28. harry hands says:
    November 4, 2019 at 7:43 pm

Sounds like an excuse to me. Also throwing his teammates under the bus
    __________

You do know that to actually throw somebody under the bus you have to name names, you know, specifics, kind of like Adam Thielen did to Kirk Cousins.

Otherwise you are just making vague generalizations.
    Hope that helped clear that up for you.

29. Wafflestomp:
    ——————
    Actually, you don’t have to be specific when throwing your team under the bus like Aaron Rodgers did (when he actually played like crap himself too). Also, Thielen didn’t mention any names so you’re wrong on that one too. Hope that helped clear that up for you.

30. I laugh at how fans and the media twists things. Aaron is the leader on this team and the vet, if he doesn’t speak up then who does? He spoke the truth about not being locked in and looking at the highlights they were not. He really didn’t throw anybody under the bus, but his concern was how the team conducted their business during the 48 hours prior to kick-off. Call it being passive aggressive or whatever but he is the leader and some times leaders make unpopular decisions and say unpopular things. For that I do give him credit.

31. Roger that says:
    November 5, 2019 at 11:04 am
    Talking to the media about your team doesn’t build team chemistry, it can make it worse. If you want respect, keep it in the locker room.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

How would you know? Every player and every coach agreed with everything Rodgers said! Maybe the media should stop asking questions? That would make more sense.

32. I believe LaFleur mentioned (and shouldered responsibility for) the travel schedule being one of those “poor decisions.” He seemed to think they should have flown out earlier so the team would have, or at least could have, had a little more time to overcome the jet lag that comes with traveling that kind of distance.

At the end of the day, as Marvin said above, the Chargers just handed the Packers a good beating. It happens.

33. funny how Viking fans said that it was no big deal about the Packers beating the Chiefs with a backup at QB , that same backup beat the Vikings but the Viking fans are in denial as usual deflecting to the Packers. just business as usual .

34. This is what happens when you go to a city with more than two Applebee’s. You get mesmerized by all the lights.

Every road game for our Packers is in a bigger and better city than Green Bay. It’s not just LA. Now that the players are back here, they’re even more depressed. Hopefully they won’t turn into raging alcoholics.

35. Roger that says:
    November 5, 2019 at 10:34 am
    Wafflestomp:
    ——————
    __________

Thielen wasn’t specific?
    Sure he was, he even forced an apology out of Cousins.
    And if you actually go into all of Aaron Rodgers’ comments besides just skimming the headlines, you’d see that Aaron only singled himself out by name for the poor play that led to the loss.
    But Hey, you just keep being you.

36. November 5, 2019 at 11:54 am
    The Packers new offense is getting figured out and all of the young players are hitting the wall. Watching the panic settle in is enjoyable.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

From Day 1, this Packer season was hoped to be two steps forward, one step back. So far, their level of success greatly exceeds all expectations. In contrast, despite the stubbed toe against the Chargers, the Packers are confidently in control of the division over a team that certainly must feel the frustration of STILL being relegated to the rearview mirror of the Packers…….eating dust.

Bon Appetit’

37. Wafflestomp:
    ——————
    Doesn’t matter, Aaron still likes talking to the media too much. Thielen wasn’t specific, he was talking about the offensive play calls also, & he was right, although he should’ve kept it in the locker room too. But you just keep being you, blind & bitter.

38. The Almighty Cabbage:
    ——————————-
    All 42 of him…nah, sorry to disappoint, I’m my own entity. #42 was a great player & role model though, one of my favorite growing up.

39. “I’m my own entity”

Same line he uses when called out on the cheese SN. He really gets rattled though if you call out that he is stellarperformance or aarons444.

Some of his 500+ SN’s he cherishes more than others. It’s all really disturbing to witness.

He should be happy that Cabbage only implies he uses 42 names. It’s well over 500 in reality.

40. freefromwhatyouare says:
    November 5, 2019 at 3:36 pm
    “I’m my own entity”

—————————————

You were actually caught using a fake Viking fan SN on a Viking thread.
    #gophersnvikes

41. *freefromwhatyouare

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@2

So what you are telling us is that every Viking fan is actually one person? Even I am part of this 500 SN? Medication time.

42. freefrom:
    ————
    I don’t have time to switch back-and-forth to a bunch of SN’s. I did see someone copy my name though, someone from an east coast team I believe. Why they would do that I have no idea. I just like to follow the Vikes, it’s one of my hobbies. It was my dad‘s team for better or worse. I just like to root for the underdog instead of just jump on a bandwagon.

43. freefromwhatyouare says:
    May 23, 2019 at 5:55 am
    Depending on a rookie center to be great right away is foolish. We are going to get killed week 2 in Green Bay. Have you seen the Packers roster on defense lately? We are not going to luck into a tie this year, it will be a slaughter. I am just hoping we can be competitive in the second game against Green Bay at the Bank.
    Titans fans say Josh Kline is horrible. This from a Titans beat writer: “One player in particular who had a difficult time last season was guard Josh Kline. When Pro Football Focus released it’s season review for the Titans, it was mentioned that Kline was one of the most lowly ranked at his position in the league.” Great signing Spielman.
    We could be depending on 2 rookies this season. Samia, a 4th rounder and Bradbury. This could get real ugly again

44. stellarperformance says:
    November 5, 2019 at 4:25 pm
    It feels good to be in first place

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@222

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you.

45. flviking says:
    November 5, 2019 at 4:20 pm
    freefromwhatyouare says:
    May 23, 2019 at 5:55 am

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@222

I love the classics. Just to be transparent here. What SN were you suppose to be? I mean you can’t deny it, no matter how many times you down vote it.

46. Duh, that was me being a Vikings fan. I posted that on this name. It is so obvious it is me and intended that way! Weird that you saved that for 7 months and keep posting it like some gotcha moment.😌

You think one post of mine from 7 months ago makes it ok for you to use countless fake SN’s every single day?

You need help bruh for real.👍

47. freefromwhatyouare says:
    November 5, 2019 at 7:24 pm

You need help bruh for real.👍
    ——————————————

Oh it was a gotcha moment for sure gophersnvikes. I remember it well bruh. 👍🏻😂

48. broncosroe says:
    Do you blame the guys? They live in Wisconsin for crying out loud. I’d go party as well if had a chance to visit southern California
    —————-

You obviously have never been to Wisconsin. They are the world champions at partying.