Jermaine Whitehead apologizes for Twitter rant

Getty Images

Safety Jermaine Whitehead‘s decision to threaten and insult a series of people on Twitter after the Browns lost to the Broncos on Sunday afternoon was met with a swift reaction by the team.

The Browns called Whitehead’s posts unacceptable on Sunday night and then cut Whitehead from the roster on Monday. Whitehead took to another social media platform to apologize for his previous posts.

“I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for my actions following our game with Denver,” Whitehead wrote on Instagram. “That was totally out of character for me. I do not justify my actions, but was extremely frustrated with the way I had played and our team losing because of it. I was playing with a broken hand, but that is no excuse for my actions, and I am deeply regretful.”

Whitehead will become a free agent if he clears waiver on Tuesday. He started the first eight games of the year for the Browns and has 41 tackles, an interception and a forced fumble on the year.

52 responses to “Jermaine Whitehead apologizes for Twitter rant

1. Apology or not, he still is a racist POS.

He should be banned from the NFL for life.

His true colors have been shown.

2. I’m very, very sorry (to learn that there are ramifications for my actions).

This racist jerk will be signed by someone…probably the Seahawks.

3. And if you believe that statement was written by the same person who wrote the tweets and grams, I have a bridge for sale that I’d like to offer you…

4. “That was totally out of character for me.”
    ==========

Umm, no. Saying that makes it worse. An “apology” is just a further insult if it includes an attempt to say it really wasn’t you or wasn’t really all your fault. An apology is only effective if you won it. Whining and trying to make the offense less than it was reveals you are a worm who really doesn’t think you should have to apologize because you don’t think you were wrong, you just angered people and want to con them into forgiveness.

5. Oh yea the typical I’m sorry when your true self came out with threats and throw in the racial slurs. Totally out of character thanks for clearing it up

6. I’m sure he was just caught up… Everyone blows up once in a while amidst a bad day. Yeah, he’s only apologizing because he got cut, but still, it’s not like he kicked a girl (Hunt), or raped a girl (Clown), or physically abused any person for that matter. Just a bad 5 minute twitter rant… Give him a break, he already lost his job over it.

7. Cracker is just like honkey. It’s derogatory yes, but do I feel this guy hates people because of their skin color, no. Did he hate this particular individual at that moment. YEAH, for sure. Would he go out of his way to keep a person down because of their color, I don’t think so. That’s what a racist would do. This guy is more prejudice.

8. He is a blatant racist and should be forever banned.
    These racist , haters, have no business being allowed in the league.

9. ” Give him a break, he already lost his job over it.”
    =======

Dude, I can give hima break. The tweet was no big thing. Some people got excited over the cracker stuff, like they couldn’t get back into their safe space soon enough.

No, my beef with the guy was the lame apology. Dude, own it, don’t say it doesn’t reflect your character or isn’t who you are or some such B.S. It’s an insult, like you think I’m an idiot and don’t know what you’re doing?

10. Like my dad used to say it’s better not to say anything keep your mouth shut if you gonna have to apologize for it later lol….

11. I’m sure he was just caught up… Everyone blows up once in a while amidst a bad day.
    ——–
    Fair Enough, but after a bad day of work I never get the urge to get on Twitter and threaten the customers of my employer with violence while throwing racial epithets.

12. So I’m really confused here.
    People be sayin Whitehead is a racist.
    But how can that be?
    I mean what am I missing?
    Cuz like umm, he’s black, right?

13. Lmao if you’re white, and you get your feelings hurt by the word cracker, you are a soft individual

14. curbstompkareem says:
    November 5, 2019 at 11:59 am
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    If you’re black and your feelings get hurt….

Oops, doesn’t work the other way.

15. cardinealsfan20 says:
    November 5, 2019 at 12:13 pm
    I’m sure that the people who are saying Whitehead is a racist will say that Trump is not.
    ———————————————————
    Go to your safe space…..

16. curbstompkareem says:
    November 5, 2019 at 11:59 am
    ————————————————
    I think it’s amusing word.. But it is still a RACIST word, regardless. Racism goes BOTH ways, even though the media tells us otherwise. If you don’t understand that, than you are guilty of being ignorant of the facts.

17. Love how his tweet was written at a 4th grade level but yet his statement looks like it was written from an Ivy League student……hmmmm

18. The term “blood” was far more serious in comparison to his use of a racist term. And those who choose to ignore it or justify it, are just as dangerous as those who use it and condone it.

19. curbstompkareem says:
    ===

Regardless of color, any person who can’t get a handle on the very obvious elephant in the room here isn’t a particularly intelligent individual.
    As a white man, you can call me cracker or virtually any other word you like and it won’t bother or affect me or my life in any way. I suspect that goes for most of those posting here.
    However, the obvious and pervasive double standard in these cases bothers some of us very much. Only someone who’s a little “soft” in the head would so easily, or perhaps willfully confuse the two very different issues.

20. fishfan77 says:
    November 5, 2019 at 12:23 pm
    cardinealsfan20 says:
    November 5, 2019 at 12:13 pm
    ———————————————————
    Go to your safe space…..
    _____________

Sure, he’s definitely not a racist.

21. This apology is actually a non-apology and Whitehead, amazingly, excuses or justifies his behavior three different times in this short statement.

1 – “That was totally out of character for me” – excuses his behavior as a one off!
    2 – “but was extremely frustrated with the way I had played . . .” – justifies his rant
    3 – “I was playing with a broken hand” – another excuse that he states isn’t an excuse

If these statements don’t matter in the realm of his actions and apology, well then they should even have appeared in this statement. There is an old saying that if you use the word “but” or any form of it (e.g. “however” or “although”) then nothing you have said matters.

22. Trump: “Those are some fine people on the white supremacist side”. “All Hispanics are criminals”.

Sure, he’s definitely not a racist.
    ————–
    Is that you Jim “Enemy of the people” Acosta?
    Your handlers at Fake News CNN are calling.

23. Jermaine Whitehead: “I said with all due respect!”
    Brown’s Front Office: “That doesn’t mean you get to say whatever you want!”
    Jermaine Whitehead: “Yeah it sure as heck does!”

24. Read both the threats and the apology. Which one is really reflective of his character and which was written by an agent? I wonder…
    __________________________________________________

You beat me to it. Whitehead writing: That’s blood, imma shoot u F*** b*tch

His apology: I would like to sincerely apologize blah blah blah. If he turned a paper in like this in school the teacher would IMMEDIATELY know he didn’t write it! LMAO

25. fishfan77 says:
    November 5, 2019 at 12:23 pm
    cardinealsfan20 says:
    November 5, 2019 at 12:13 pm
    ———————————————————
    Go to your safe space…..

=================

LOL

26. “Racism goes BOTH ways, even though the media tells us otherwise.”
    __________

27. It seems a lot of people have been just waiting for the opportunity to finally, legitimately call a black person a racist.

28. No, racism does not go both ways. African-Americans never enslaved whites in this country. White men have never been denied the right to vote. Whites have never been lynched.

___________________

Nobody living in this country has ever been enslaved nor has ever been a slave owner. Nobody currently in a position of power ever denied anyone the right to vote. Neither you nor Whitehead have ever been a victim of anything and you live in the greatest nation on Earth (presuming you live in the United States).

29. The difference between this jabroni and AB is that AB has talent. Take notice players unless you have AB type skills don’t say stupid stuff or dare the team to cut you. There’s no do overs when you scorch the earth.

30. Good start. If he/agent hadn’t put that out, no team would pick him up & everyone would be writing how he isn’t remorseful. I’m not sure if he is prejudiced & raciest or just a man who lost control of his wits. It isn’t looking good for him but I hope he and others on social media learn from this.

31. “I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for my actions following our game with Denver,” Whitehead wrote on Instagram.

That’s totally in opposition to what he said in the interview after the game where he wasn’t apologetic at all about his twitter post. He’s only apologizing now because he got cut.

“That was totally out of character for me. I do not justify my actions

No, it was exactly your character and yes you are trying to justify your actions. You still don’t get it do you. You can say whatever you want but there are consequences, especially when you’re a fringe player.