NFL, not Colin Kaepernick, arranged Saturday workout

Getty Images

The Colin Kaepernick workout was news to plenty of people. Including Colin Kaepernick.

PFT has confirmed that Kaepernick didn’t even know about the workout until it was scheduled. Kaepernick’s representatives initially expressed concern that it was or could be a P.R. stunt. Confusion also was expressed regarding the league’s reason(s) for setting up the workout, especially since the league previously has taken the position that it does not get involved in the potential employment of specific players.

The league wouldn’t disclose to Kaepernick the motivation for getting involved in the process, and the league wouldn’t budge on its position that the workout will happen this Saturday — rejecting a request to delay the workout to a Tuesday or to a later Saturday, so that interested teams would have more of a chance to make appropriate plans.

From Kaepernick’s perspective, it’s far more preferable for a workout to happen with coaches and General Managers present, so that they can put him through the paces and directly observe his abilities. The league’s willingness to record the workout and send it to interested teams means nothing; Kaepernick could do that himself.

Under the present circumstances, then, it feels like this workout is far less about getting Kaepernick placed on a team and far more about creating the impression that the NFL is trying to help him get a job, without really helping him get a job.

And while it’s entirely possible that the league is pulling a P.R. stunt, the more accurate assessment may be that the league is concerned that Kaepernick eventually will file a second grievance alleging collusion and/or retaliation arising from his prior collusion grievance, which reportedly was settled for payment in the range of $1 million and $10 million.

In order to ensure that it’s a legitimate workout, Kaepernick wants to see the list of the coaches and General Managers who will attend the workout. Although Kaepernick currently intends to proceed with the workout regardless of the information the league does or doesn’t provide, the ball currently is in the NFL’s court to persuade him (and anyone else who is paying close attention to these developments) that it’s a real opportunity and not part of a broader P.R. and/or legal strategy.

139 responses to “NFL, not Colin Kaepernick, arranged Saturday workout

1. NFL teams make money whether they win or lose. Winning is not the top priority. The players can see this and I’m noticing fewer are willing to play injured. If the owners aren’t all in, why should the players be?

2. Man wanted to be an agent for change ,he has had plenty of free time to change things ,,,, guess what ,,I see no change !

3. Even if we assume it is a disingenuous PR stunt, what is the harm to Kap for going through the workout? He claims he is prepared and ready, he claims he wants to play in the NFL, and this is an opportunity to put his alleged talents on tape for all 32 teams to see, with the NFLs approval nonetheless.

Most people take any job interview or job prospect they can get, even under less than ideal circumstances or genuine desire to hire them, because a an opportunity to impress should be taken every chance you get.

Why should Kap be any different?

4. So if he STILL doesn’t get signed it’ll be the NFL’s fault that the workout wasn’t on a day of his choosing, eh?

Isn’t it pretty much a fact that when teams are looking for in-season replacements the players come when the teams tell them to, not when the players feel it’s convenient?

5. I am surprised. If the NFL truly is making this tryout happen,
    it brings many issues to light.
    One could argue that Kapernick continues to suffer damages
    that the NFL as a league is concerned about. One could possibly
    argue that this is an admission by the league that Kapernick is NFL
    ready …yet teams are still not signing him because of his activism.

Perhaps the league, by creating this opportunity, is thinking that we can
    prove, after the tryout, that Kapernick is not NFL ready.

6. boiler72 says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:28 pm
    What’s he going to demonstrate, how to burn the American flag? Absolute garbage human being.
    —————————————-
    An exactly where and when did you serve?

7. elishamanning says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:27 pm
    ___________________________________

Wow, a self proclaimed Patriot..

8. Maybe the League really wants to get Kap a job and take the race card away from the next problem, AB and remove it from all charges against the shield?

9. The world needs more men like Kap and less like President Bonespurs… Patriotism, don’t make me laugh!

10. elishamanning says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:27 pm
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

Was there a special offer today on commas? Was it a 3 for one deal, because that’s a lot of commas!

11. self made Patriots
    __________
    That is kind of the nature of adjectives. You apply them to nouns. If you want to.

12. Short of the NFL expecting Colin to self-destruct with certainty I don’t see how this benefits them.

Their worst-case scenario is he looks competent & healthy.

What reward offsets that risk?

13. Can the NFL get me a job too?

I don’t know why they would be worried about a race problem. The league is 70% minority. Pumpernickel is part of the minority majority.

14. footballpat says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:37 pm
    boiler72 says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:28 pm
    —————————————-
    An exactly where and when did you serve?

2 4 Rate This
    ————

I didn’t post the initial comment but I agree with it.

I served in the US Army Infantry (11C) with the 10th Mountain Division from 90-94 –during which time I earned my jump wings and EIB among numerous other things. I’ll throw up my DD-214 if that’s what it takes to prove my opinion counts.

15. But does this idiot walk in and expect to get an immediate offer to be a teams starting QB and a 20 million dollar salary or is any other offer beneath him?

16. If the NFL was stupid enough to not make it a condition of the previous go away money settlement that Kaepernick/Reid could raise no more such complaints against them, they kind of deserve what they get.

17. What interesting times we live in, where you can sue an employer for NOT hiring you. Is the NFL going to do this for ALL players who make terrible business decisions holding out for more money before the market drys up on them? Interesting times indeed…

18. a workout for Kap is meaningless. His problem is not his arm strength, speed or conditioning. He’ll probably look good in shorts in throwing drills.

His problem is he can’t read a defense. If the ravens want him to backup their current wildcat QB Lamar Jackson, it would make sense but why would any team want him as a backup when he’d need a bunch of reps in practice to get up to speed?

19. Lose lose for the nfl. He looks bad, people will cry racism and collusion because he wont get signed. He looks good, some team will take a shot and the media will gobble this up 24-7 even if he does not start. 24-7 Sackorpick, and then the nfl will lose half their fans who just want to watch football and not about this all over again. Nfl bends the knee to wokeness again. Lile I said 1 step forward, two steps back

20. The NFL is absolutey the best marketing money making machine ever! They know how how to get us to watch, bottom line.

21. So is the league compelling reps from the teams to go and on this date only? if they are not Compelling reps to go Kaep should just adjust the time back one week as he wishes. This isn’t the freaking combine, it’s a one player show. If they are being compelled to show for this date only then it’s a totally different ball of wax. But still Kaep should make the most of it and try to catch on somewhere. I do think he has hurt himself by not being out in the media more. He should be doing a weekly segment with PFT. Hate him or love him everyone would tune in every week.

22. The NFL had too much pro-Vet this weekend, so it needed to do something to counter all that icky patriotism.

23. Why is he holding a private workout for teams in mid November when half the season is done. If he did it in May I would get it but seems like this kind of becoming an annual thing

24. Anybody remember that it was an army vet that request colin to kneel and not sit as it is more respectful?

Didn’t think so. Both sides continue to speak blah blah and the only thing that we talk about is not the subject of the actual protest at all.

All you guys that said you were done with the NFL sure spend a ton of time following and talking about it still.

Move on. If he can play he can play. If he can’t, that’s too bad. Games are still on 1pm ET Sunday.

25. Who asks the question Michael Bennett stands now, will you Colin? If he says yes he is a sellout, if he says no, he is a man of principle and will not get a job. It is a no win. I for one believe no team wants the circus signing him will bring to them. Fans can be downright ugly.

26. Has the league ever done something like this before, hosting a workout for a single free agent? This seems really odd.

27. NFL wants to put this to rest.

28. Sorry don’t buy it. Sounds like Kap’s people trying to play it cool. Just like I don’t believe it when Nike says the Kap ad campaign was so successful, but haven’t seen another ad in any media since then.

29. Mobile QB’s are at higher risk for injury, especially after 30 (like running backs). NFL knows This and thinks his playing days are probably behind him. They’re playing the odds no team will want him. Basically the NFL is taking a reasonably save chance at clearing its name by proving everybody was right about Kap not being good enough to play in NFL. And you’re right, Nike probably wants to sell more shoes. Win for everybody I guess. I hope Kap comes back and makes a run for MVP. Wouldn’t that be fun?

30. elishamanning says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:59 pm
    I know one team that doesn’t need him and that’s the undefeated 49ers whooooooahhhhhh !

undefeated, you say? Kap can’t even get a tryout with the XFL and that’s where he belongs.

31. Is he going to show interested teams how he still can’t read a defense or find his second and third reads? He’s not playing because he sucks, plain and simple.

32. If Kaepernick has been working out and is in the best shape of his life, why would he balk at the chance to go prove it. He’s clearly nervous now that the NFL has called his bluff.

33. Nike’s woke poster boy can enjoy watching games from home on Sundays like the rest of us who aren’t cut out to be a pro QB. #FreeHK

34. curtfj says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:36 pm
    And right after Veteran’s Day… These people are clueless

______________________

You mean the man who took a knee at the request of a Veteran? People really do forget that don’t they.

35. mortyglickstein says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:20 pm
    Will he wear is Fidel Castro T-Shirt? That statement was swept under the rug. Ask any American Cuban how the feel about that
    —————–
    Who cares what anyone thinks of his Castro shirt? This is a free country. That is why the Cuban-Americans are here in the first place.

36. You know that feeling when you get invited to an awkward party on Facebook but you don’t want to be the first one to RSVP in fear you’ll be the only one to go? That’s going to be like whatever GM or coach actually goes.

So many coaches and GMs won’t be able to go with a game the next day. And the few that go (Teams on bye maybe?) risk angering their fan base and also being associated as the team that is most interested in signing him.

37. Who is the brainiac that came up with this stupid plan? They should be fired from the NFL’s office. It is a horrible idea and I hope I never hear about this again.

38. For once I agree with Kaepernick. This is a PR stunt, the league is simply using him. And the short notice definitely undermines any effectiveness. Thats another reason I don’t think the league is trying to help him at all, just trying to look like they are. If he no showed this one I would not question it.

This is not to say I think Kaepernick deserves any chances and certainly not special treatment. I’m just saying that the league is not even trying to do that here, just pretend that they are for their own PR purposes..

39. Many Americans like many on these pages always talk about freedom in America but they wouldn’t know freedom if if ran them over like Ray Lewis. If some team want to give Colin Kaepernick a chance to play, what the hell business in that of anyone on these pages?

40. The endless list of negative and slighting comments are as predictable as rain Seattle . . . I believe Kaep simply looks at your blind hatred as a testament to of his righteousness – I think President FDR best described this type situation . . . “They are unanimous in their hate for me – and I welcome their hatred.”

Another ebony.bronze Signal Caller who’ll redefine the Field General position – pas for 250/run for 100 – It’s about time – he was robbed of 3 critical years in his career, like Ali – merely because he wouldn’t compromise, wouldn’t bend over, wouldn’t cow-tow – would not “Sell out” and kiss butt . . .

Power To The People . .

41. I hope someone signs him actually. I’m tired of all the debate. Sign him and let him play and we will see once and for all if he is NFL QB caliber or not so we can quit wasting our time speculating. Of course, if he signs and fails he will just claim he is the victim of aging and too much time away from the game and that if they had let him play years ago he would have shined like a diamond. Truth is he was never the same after they abandoned Harbaugh and his style of play. He flourished under Harbaugh. After that he stank and was rightfully benched before opting out of his own contract because of his fragile ego. He reinvented himself and made himself relevant again by taking a knee. It was easy to take a knee because he was already sitting on his ass. But sign him, I say, and if he fails then we should resolve to never speak his name again. But if he succeeds and delivers the goods then let him play. There are players who did some pretty reprehensible things already in Canton.

42. elishamanning says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:59 pm
    ——————–
    undefeated?…..

Go Hawks!

43. Schism Lateralus says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:55 pm
    footballpat says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:37 pm
    boiler72 says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:28 pm
    —————————————-
    An exactly where and when did you serve?

2 4 Rate This
    ————

I didn’t post the initial comment but I agree with it.

——————
    Thank you for your service, and I totally agree.

Go Hawks!

44. So for three years we’ve been told that he works out five days a week and is ready to play if the phone rings, until it rings aaaaaaannd, he’s not ready. Yeah.

It’s not that he has an opinion, it’s the obvious timing of his woke moment. Despicable to throw that out there to cover for his own inadequacies.

45. Probably a hundred QBs (minimum) that would love to have the same opportunity. I’ll let the board decide how many of the hundred have more talent, LOL.

46. In summary, after being paid between $1 -$10 million to make a baseless lawsuit go away, Kaep isn’t satisfied with the NFL setting up a workout for him – which the league has never done for any player – and wants the NFL to make GM/coach attendance mandatory.

47. Schism Lateralus

I didn’t post the initial comment but I agree with it.

______

Pretty cool. I know a medic from 10th Mountain that served those years….

That said, as a vet as well, you should know you fought for Kaps freedom to kneel as much as you did for the man next to him that’s standing with his hand on his heart.

My dad took multiple bullets for this country and supports his simple decision to kneel. Forced patriotism is not patriotism. It’s the opposite actually. I dont understand why this is so hard to grasp.

48. Unpopular opinion and down votes coming:

If Colin Kaepernick was kneeling to draw attention to homeless vets, atrocious conditions of VA hospitals, or any other poor treatment of vets, we would be calling him a hero. We are not upset that he kneeled… we are upset at WHY he kneeled.

49. When will he go away? The guy hasn’t been good since his Super Bowl year. He was absolutely terrible in his last year. I remember when he played Chicago in the snow. It was probably the worst QB performance I’ve ever seen, and that includes Peterman’s implosion. The man had a job in Miami until he wore the Castro shirt. He had a job in Baltimore until he bashed their all time franchise player. He had a job in Seattle if he would just agree to stop kneeling. He had a job in Denver if he would agree to be the back up. He is a washed up garbage QB that can’t read a defense to save his life. He runs too much and he isn’t that accurate. He was fast and had a strong arm, but, that doesn’t matter if you can’t read the defense. That’s not even adding in the fact that teams don’t want an aging QB, who thinks he is still a starter, wants starter money, and brings a whole lot of attention and questions by the media. He will never play again and it is only his own doing. Now please go away!

50. People forget that Kap had a try-out for the Ravens and his girlfriend through social media claimed the owner and team were racist. It seems to me that the Kap team really has no interest in playing football. Sham activism has paid off rather handsomely.

51. kennylc2015 says:
    November 13, 2019 at 8:54 am
    Unpopular opinion and down votes coming:

________
    Bingo.

52. This is like the – ”if I’m not married by 40 and you’re not married by 40, we’ll marry each other“ deal.

This has to be part of the confidential settlement.

It’s too absurd not to be.

53. Can someone tell me when the NFL became a agent for 1 out of work player? How about all of the other guys who have been cut and haven’t had a workout? The NFL is trying very hard to lose its audience again.

54. This is nothing but a PR stunt….If they truly wanted him to workout for coaches they would have done it on a day where coaches would be able to attend. No coach will be at the workout because they are all getting ready for Sunday’s game. So when his agents asked for a date change the NFL said no. Complete BS, nothing to see here.

55. Kaepernick has an established pattern of torpedoing his own supposed desire to play. Only started kneeling after he got benched. Opted out of his contract. Blew up his imminent signing with the Ravens. Made ridiculous financial demands of the AFL ($20 million/year) rather than suit up. So of course his “camp” is going to place so many demands on his majesty appearing at a workout that it never happens. The reason is obvious: being a woke “star” who totally would play in the NFL except for racism is highly marketable, but being a woke loser who complains a lot on Twitter is just, like 90% of Twitter.

56. I can’t imagine any team would sign a guy who hasn’t played for nearly three years in the middle of the season. If they thought he was good enough to play, some team would have signed him to their 90-man roster earlier in the year. Miami isn’t included in that after he wore that T-Shirt idolizing Fidel Castro. That should be an affront to every sensible person in the US. I don’t understand why he’s getting a free pass on that.

57. The niners should grab him up because Jimmy is horrible. Stand in their Jimmey stiff legged and take a beating. Obvious he aint a rocket scientists. Niners have to be very concerned over his performance and if they arent they will be down the line.
    Just proves again how Bellycheck knows talent and when he doesnt see it he trades it away

58. Personally I don’t have a problem with a guy taking a knee, but I also don’t have a problem with the backlash either. When your employed don’t make it about politics. I don’t know about the rest of you guys but that and religion should remain absent around the water cooler. It’s ok to make a statement but not start a full blown controversy.

59. Christmas always comes on December 25th. I am not giving my kids ANYTHING before that day. They will all be waiting for me to come down that chimney, with all their presents and they will all get them on Christmas morning, December 25th!!! They better have my milk and Nestle Chocolate Chip Cookies, not those nasty Hydro Chocolate Chip Cookies. And the milk better at least be 2%, stop trying to say Skim Milk has the same absorption qualities with Chocolate Chip cookies, it does not and EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS!

With that being said, if Tuesday is the day this normally happens and the best talent evaluators will be there, the event should be on Tuesday. If there is a game on Saturday, who is going to attend? You can say well they go to College Games on Saturday, but if the NFL wants to keep it “NFL”, Tuesday should be the day.

60. Most likely a team or multiple teams wanted to take a look at him but didn’t want the media storm that came with it. Then they can see how he looks and judge reactions to see if they want to proceed.

61. He’s 32 years old. He’s not going to a team that’s rebuilding-I would think.

He does have talent though. I bet Belichick could do something with him.

62. If Kap wants a job, go to the damn workout. The fact that he’s complaining about it already tells u what we already knew…he doesn’t want to be a QB in the NFL, he wants to be an alleged victim of the NFL. He gets a lot more mileage that way.

There are tons of QBs out of work who would kill to have the NFL schedule them a workout with teams under any circumstances. You wouldn’t hear them complain about the details, they’d just show up and throw.

63. The guy cannot play NFL quality football. A 2 year flash, get over it EVERYONE! he has no talent left. He can’t even play in the CFL. Just go away

64. This is not a PR stunt. This is a put up or shut up and finally put an end to this national nightmare. I’m guessing the lawyers are behind this one.

65. Whether you support him or not, he did some things, which led to others doing things that essentially angered and offended a large segment of the NFL fan base. It impugned the brand. And it wasn’t so much the what, as the where. In his place of employment with thousands captive to watch and potentially millions via other means. It hurt the NFL brand and created a huge controversy in an arena where it did not belong. The stunts were short sighted and inappropriate for the events. He’s guilty of selfishly, and without approval, using someone else’s medium for his personal message. If he had true conviction, he would have used his own funds and created his own medium to convey his message, instead of forcing it upon all those who had to watch and were there for far different reasons.

66. Denver offered him a contract a few years ago. He did not accept it.

I would love to play in the league but guess what? I am not good enough. Sounds fair to me…

67. please be careful and think before you act… the league’s tv ratings are now back to what they were before that fiasco.. Why go through this again.

68. Cheap PR stunt by the NFL “Good Ole Boys Billionaire Club”. Hoping he doesn’t show, so they can high 5 and pat each other on the back.

69. I like Kaepernick and think he got a raw deal, but he’s been out of the league too long now for him to still be effective. The NFL delaying tactics worked. At least Kaepernick got paid via lawsuit settlement.

70. I doubt that Kaepernick is in good shape or that his workout will impress anyone. Perhaps the league wants everyone to see this so that they can put the whole issue to bed?

71. Kap won! I think the Fins might sign him, they should, what do they have to lose? Speaking of losers, maybe Cincy should be there as well!

72. ctiggs says:
    November 12, 2019 at 8:26 pm
    Lol these self made Patriots will lose their minds go kap !

————————-
    Be careful what you wish for. The Patriots are one of the teams planning to attend.

73. tiger2471 says:
    November 13, 2019 at 4:47 pm
    Ok, so Brian Hoyer should be a back-up in the league, but Kap isn’t good enough anymore? LMAO!

———————-
    Hoyer >>>> Kaepernick. Thats why.