Alex Guerrero: Tom Brady now says he can play until he’s 46 or 47

Getty Images

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has long said he could play until he’s 45, but Brady’s longtime personal trainer Alex Guerrero says Brady has lately been saying he’ll play even longer than that.

Guerrero said on WEEI that the 42-year-old Brady has been telling him he’d like to play until he’s 46 or 47.

“It all comes to commitment, really,” Guerrero said. “No one thought you could play at the elite level in your late 30s, early 40s. That is something we always felt we could do. I have really wanted to be there to help him accomplish that goal. I certainly do believe that 45 is a very realistic goal. We talk about it all the time. Every year he just adds another year. He goes in and he’s like, ‘Guys, I feel so good still. I think I am going to go till 45.’ I am like, ‘OK.’ Now he’s like, ‘Alex, I think I can go like 46 or 47.’”

That would keep Brady in the NFL through the 2023 or 2024 seasons. But will he stay in New England that long? Guerrero said it’s too soon to say whether Brady will be in the Patriots’ training camp next year, or whether he’ll leave in free agency.

“I don’t know,” Guerrero said. “It’s not July 2020. I am focused on today. I am just trying to get Tom ready for practice today. It’s Thursday.”

Wherever he is, Brady sounds committed to playing at least a few more years in the NFL.

129 responses to “Alex Guerrero: Tom Brady now says he can play until he’s 46 or 47

1. “Tom, we lost a game. We lost some spotlight. Any ideas how we can get it back?”

“I could say I am going to play in the NFL until I’m 76 years old!”

“Eh… I like the idea, but let’s say 46 or 47 years old… that will get the people talking about us again. But what is your buddy Alex up to? Maybe we could get him to say it so you can be asked about saying it at a later time. That will get us TWO stories for the price of one!”

2. So Crates says:
    November 14, 2019 at 10:46 am

“I could say I am going to play in the NFL until I’m 76 years old!”

Try too hard

3. This is why Tom’s ticked off that he’s surrounded by mediocre talent–an all world slot receiver and a great pass catching back, but not much else. He wants to put up good numbers to show he hasn’t declined. Through little fault of Tom’s, the numbers aren’t bearing that out.

4. I’d say he’s done in 3 months, 15 months tops.

He is the goat, but I hope he goes out on top. Not in a heap with 350 defensive linemen sacking him.

5. People find this shocking. It’s not. I think what we are going to see going forward is late maturation of QBs – Rich Gannon style.

So a guy like Dak Prescott, who still leaves much to be desired on the field, could end up in the Hall of Fame if he gets 20 more seasons, and the way this league is protecting QBs from anything more than a love tap, it’s entirely possible.

6. Anyone willing to tailor a team to play around an aging QB? He may end up the most fit 45 YO on the planet, but 45 is still not 25, and building a team around a QB who could be in the ER at any moment is not a good strategy.

7. He could probably play another 5 years or so based on the rules nowadays. You arent able to touch the QB anymore
    I personally dont see why he would want to keep going. He has all the money in the world and all the records and titles. Maybe he needs to be in that spotlight.
    It wouldn’t shock me at all if his trainer has some special supplement that isn’t illegal that he has been using for his entire career. I hope he plays until he is 50.
    But if he starts to lose games the last thing I want to hear from Patriot fans is excuses that TB is too old and can’t do what he used to do. You all need to take the good with the bad.

8. I don’t think Brady will play that long but I’m sure he will still be top 15 QB at 46/47 years old. Even if he can’t throw anymore, a smart game manager with average throwing ability is better than half of the starters today.

9. This guy is ALWAYS looking for free advertising promoting his “alternative health” company.

I hope Tom does play until he is 47. Aaron Rodgers has said he will let Tom set the bar on playing until whatever age and then Aaron said he will try to match it.

Aaron is 35 and will be 36 in a few weeks. I could deal with Aaron for another 11 years. Although at some point Gute is going to see a young QB he loves and the 4th NFL Hall of Fame QB will come to Green Bay.

Aaron saying he is for sure playing to at least 40 already has one little Barney totally triggered. He plays to 47 and I would enjoy watching heads explode.🤣

#GoPackGo!🏈

10. nflhofcounts says:
    November 14, 2019 at 10:45 am
    Alex endorsed Lance too?
    —————————–

He endorses champions so I would imagine. He will not be endorsing you.

11. Anyone else done with the Brady era? It’s not even an exciting brand of offense. I might be singing a different tune if I were a Pats fan, but I’m not, so…

12. He should play until 47 but for another team so he can prove he was not just a product of the Patriots system.

13. I thought he showed his age in the loss to the Ravens. He flashed occasionally but he’s definitely slower moving around…

14. aa1829 says:
    November 14, 2019 at 10:59 am
    Anyone willing to tailor a team to play around an aging QB? He may end up the most fit 45 YO on the planet…
    —————————————
    Interesting….what is your definition of “Fit”?

15. Of course he is, gotta outlast Bill so the whole world doesn’t find out Bill can do it without him.

16. As long as he and Belicheat keep scamming the system, Brady’s age will be offset by his willingness to cheat.

17. They better get this guy a vertical threat to stretch the field. Harry could be a game changer but they need a veteran who can step in now. They had him in Brown and they let the politically correct and envious jrks of the world browbeat, henpeck, and guilt them into giving him up. Now he’ll end up going to another team. And THAT team won’t get quite the finger wagging.

We had D. Thomas and J. Gordon on the roster and for whatever reasons, these talents did not translate. Sheesh.

18. Yay!

The NFL needs a good heel, especially one that wins most of the time. All you Brady haters will secretly miss his presence in the NFL someday.

19. It’s an addiction, I get it. Tom has only 10 fingers but he will be able to afford hand surgery to add a prosthetic 6th finger to his non-throwing hand once that 10th championship is in the bag. I just hope the hiatus btw the 2nd and 3rd dynasties is not as long as the gap btw 1st and 2nd.

20. Vasteelerfan says:
    November 14, 2019 at 11:01 am
    Of course he can Alex is suppling the juice. Come on people …..Lance Armstrong??????
    ———————————

21. People don’t appreciate Brady,a once in a lifetime QB. I can understand that fans of other teams wish he would just retire,but this is something that we probably will never see again. My only hopes are that he retires a Patriot…and maybe gets another ring.

22. mrbigass says:
    November 14, 2019 at 11:17 am

—-

I’m not sure how much slower, than his normal slow, he could get and it even be noticeable.

23. Brady is 42 and still a top QB in the league(Look it up by stats)that’s with the offense taking a hit with injuries lack of running Game and no Gronk.I can see him playing till 45 but anything after that the Guy is flipping nuts

24. Long live the goat!

———————————–

Tom Brady is a great QB. No doubt. I’ll concede that. But I think it’s unrealistic to call Brady, or ANY player the greatest of all time. Times change, the game changes and who knows if he would have been as good during the same era that Montana played? He would have taken many more hits and physical abuse and it’s well known that Brady tries to avoid as many hits as possible. Even while today’s QBs are so protected. I have me doubts if he would have lasted as long as he has now.

25. 8oneanddones says:
    November 14, 2019 at 11:27 am
    Yay!

——

I was thinking they’d have a lot of time on their hands, but then they’ve got 20 years of envy to make up for.

26. Nah, after 40 all it takes is one good hit to end a career. He’s been well protected the majority of his career, that doesn’t last forever. His age will catch up with him if it hasn’t already.

27. vicnocal says:
    November 14, 2019 at 10:53 am
    But, but Jimmy G is the future…
    ________________

No way, don’t you know the Pats will sign Kap. Half the fan base here will jump off the bandwagon (they didn’t even know who the Patriots were prior to TB12) and burn their Jerseys on their Lawns. Then Kap wins the next 3 Super Bowls and they will be back on the bandwagon.

28. November 14, 2019 at 11:27 am
    Yay!

—————–

Exactly, remember the Brady/Manning Rivalry? that’s already gone. When brady is gone what will there be? The NFL will have to force people to care about a Mahomes/Jackson rivalry but by then they’ll have already been through a couple of ACL surgeries and they just won’t be the same exciting players they were.

29. Yeah his longer throws, at times, do look a little feathery, but goat smarts more than make up for it. So long as he can read a D and release the ball quick he could play ’til his early 50s – in theory. BUT it’s all about injuries and recovery times – these get harder and take longer with age and at some point a series of niggling injuries affecting play will tip that balance to retire. Meanwhile, the salty mountain of hate will keep on venting and spewing super hot saline!

30. QBs age quickly. There’s been lots of players who looked amazing one year and then deteriorated dramatically the next year. That said, what he has done is truly remarkable and even though it grates to say it (as a long suffering Dolphins fan) he is the GOAT.

31. @Randygoatboy

Except Bill already tried… many times. And failed.

You can be the greatest coach in history, but as Bill himself says time and time again, it’s a player’s game.

32. C’MON! it’s called getting bored with the same lame question every time that stupid reporter is the room. TB12 is laughing as he continues find new answers to the same dumb stuff.

33. Starting to remind me of Roger Clemens who battled injuries his whole career but miraculously stayed healthy in his 40s. We all know how that turned out

34. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    November 14, 2019 at 11:17 am

Sorry Jets fan but Tom will NOT be playing for your team in the future.

35. Brady will play until he tears his ACL again. Everyone knows how much he loves playing the game. This is all a matter of how well he can continue to throw the ball. In 2015, Peyton Manning just looked awful.

36. Brady just likes playing football. He probably would retire if he was on a perenially losing team. However with Belichick keeping the Patriots as a contender every year-why would he quit.

37. Brady has remained injury free for the majority of his career. Now, at an advanced age (for football), any injury he receives is going to take longer to mend and rehabilitate. I think the Patriots are walking a tightrope where TB12 is concerned. If he goes down, they don’t have a backup that can win games. We haven’t seen much of Stidham and what we have seen isn’t very impressive.

I’m thinking that “patchwork” OLine in front of Brady is going to get him killed.

38. jkb0162 says:
    November 14, 2019 at 12:14 pm
    ———————————–

Brady has only missed time because of a torn ACL back in 2008. He has played in 278 games he has missed 15 games with injury and that was all in the same season. Nice try but a swing and a miss.

39. zonedout100 says:
    November 14, 2019 at 12:20 pm
    Sorry Jets fan but Tom will NOT be playing for your team in the future.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Then again, Brady could be another ‘Joe Namath’ One Time Wonder for the Jets, especially if they surround Brady with all the essentials = OLine to Protect + Run Game + Dynamic WRs + Strong Defense.

I could see that happening since Brady does not need to be coached at this point.

40. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    November 14, 2019 at 11:17 am

=============================================

Belichick is 18-19 as Pats coach without Brady starting. 33 of those 37 games were started by QBs who went to a Pro Bowl.

This year Brady backups are 13-5 as starters for other teams.

Some system.

41. theboysvlog says:
    November 14, 2019 at 10:56 am

—————————-

Everyone SAYS that QBs are SO protected, but they get hurt just as much as anyone else. In the past copuple of seasons, Rogers, Ben, Cam, Luck, Brees, Wentz, Watson, Darnold, Allen, Mahomes, Foles, Mariota, Tannehill, Bridgewater, Griffin, whatever drek the Broncos roll out, have all missed a not insignificant amount of time with injuries. These are a mix of young and old guys, pocket passers and runners. These guys get hurt A LOT. Brady, Rivers and Wilson are anomalies, so pointing them and saying SEE?! THEY DON’T GET HURT BECAUSE THEY CAN’T GET HIT! is just as bad as pointing to someone like Stafford and saying SEE?! HE CAN’T STAY HEALTHY! after the first couple of seasons. The guy, outside of last week, had been healthy as anyone else since the second big injury.

If it was that simple, and QBs can’t get hit, then Andrew Luck wouldn’t be retired right now.

42. mrphelps01 says:
    November 14, 2019 at 10:53 am

==========================================================================

The only NFL GMs and coaches who base their personnel decisions on fantasy football metrics are the unemployed ones.

43. The longevity we’re seeing in Brady’s career really is unprecedented in the history of the NFL. You can say George Blanda, but was he a full time starting QB until 48? No, he was a kicker, and filled in at QB a few times once his days as QB were over. Brady’s career has truly been remarkable, whether you love him or hate him. I wish my team had the smarts to draft a guy like that.

44. “Love all the unfounded PED posts.”

Brady gets PED tested just like all the other players in the league and has never failed the test.

But sad, empty little people make up claims that he’s a ped user. Feel sorry for them that they have so little in their lives to be happy about

45. rogergoodellmyhero says:
    November 14, 2019 at 12:42 pm
    TB12 the scam that keeps on giving and the fanboys keep eating it up.
    ———————————-

Seems like you are the one eating it up. Then again you eat up anything Pats related. Just think of all that free time you would have of not obsessed with the Pats and their fans. Keep posting to prove you are not.

46. He’s been limp wristing the ball all over the field this season. I don’t want to see him at 46 or 47.

Watching Jordan play as an old man was just sad. This would be the same.

47. Alex Guerrero is Tom Brady’s hand puppet.He’s nothing but a snake oil salesman. Tom keeps his pockets full conning people with a barrel of money to follow his regiment at his work out studios. The only figure with the fancy word pliability was Gumby.

48. Why not? Everyone else works to 60+. Is it fair that he will have 20+ years experience – seen it all, done it all? In addition to still making throws, he’s the ultimate game manager now, throwing balls away instead of taking sacks or risking INTs. Sure, he has one bonehead play every three games, but otherwise, he’s managing the games to WIN, which is the name of the game.
    With 20 years experience, he has the advantage over a 1st or 2nd year guy that’s surprised by defenses and may end up “seeing phantom DBs” all over the place.

49. I am very disappointed as 47 is at least five less years than I thought we would get to watch Tom Brady, the Greatest NFL Player of All-Time, and the Greatest NFL Leader of All-Time, play for the Pats.

He must be getting bored with all the winning, I know I am not bored.

50. If you listen to the interview, Alex G (not going to attempt to spell his name) was saying that physically Tom could play that long. But he also made a comment about commitment and Brady has already shown cracks in his commitment with the strong desire of his wife for him to spend more time with his family. I think if Tom retires it will be to spend time with his family. Not because he can’t play anymore. Not to say that Father Time will not eventually catch up to him even if he continues to play, Daddy T.’s undefeated.

AG also talked about how wonderful and supportive of him Belichik and Kraft are. But that wasn’t reported. I thought BB hated him and resented TB12 meddling with the training of his players? AG says BB high-fives him in the hallway walking by. Where is the story on that?

51. The problem is he & BB are trying to wait each other out. Brady wants to prove he can win w/o BB and BB wants to prove he can win w/o Brady. BB tried to ship him out but Brady went crying to Daddy Kraft and he sent Jimmy G packing.

So now…they both wait.

52. bradygirl12 says:
    “People don’t appreciate Brady,a once in a lifetime QB.”

Said no one ever.

53. Yes Tom drinking lots of water will prevent sunburn and this magic juice from Alex will prevent cancer. I love how my pet patsarticlemustpost will always respond to me…..yes that’s a good girl.

54. Love it I see all of the haters are writing their congressmen today to see if they can get Brady thrown out of the NFL on the grounds that he keeps making their 20 something quarterback look weak. So how many Championships would that give him 8? 9? 10? Don’t worry he’s winning it again this year which will give him 7, because there isn’t a team in the NFC that’s gonna beat them come playoff time. Notice I didn’t mention AFC because we all know Bill already has Lamar figured out, and he didn’t make the adjustments during the second half of the last game because he doesn’t want Baltimore to have any tape on the scheme Bill came up with to stop him, but come playoff time Lamar is gonna be contained like a rabid fox. The Chiefs can’t stop anyone so they aren’t a threat, and who does that leave in the AFC? Nobody that’s right so it’s straight to the Superbowl where some mediocre NFC team will once again show up with big plans and lots of hype. Sure hope it’s Philly so there can some redemption for that lucky Superbowl they stole the last time

55. rogergoodellmyhero says:

November 14, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Chill_Donahue says:
    November 14, 2019 at 1:11 pm
    Gordie Howe was playing in the NHL at age 52 without a helmet.
    —————————
    Wrong, Gordie Howe was 42.

=======================================================================

1980 Whalers beg to differ. 80 games, 15 goals, 26 assists. Not bad for over 50.

56. And Bill was the one assembling the roster every year…

—————————-

Richard Nguyen says:

57. rogergoodellmyhero says:
    November 14, 2019 at 1:42 pm
    Chill_Donahue says:
    November 14, 2019 at 1:11 pm
    Gordie Howe was playing in the NHL at age 52 without a helmet.
    —————————
    Wrong, Gordie Howe was 42.
    ———————

You are wrong again. He played 80 games in the NHL at 51 for the Whalers. Do you think you are an expert in everything?

58. badchannels1 says:
    November 14, 2019 at 11:50 am

—————–
    one good hit at any age can end a career. QB’s like Brady, Manning and a few others knew how not to take hits, i.e, they go down as soon as they’re in the grasp. Wish Big Ben had taken this approach.

59. A Steelers fan would know with Dr. Rydze being an employee for that organization for 20 years.

Proof will set you free. Stop lying …you know better that not violations by the Steelers….nice try.

60. rogergoodellmyhero says:
    November 14, 2019 at 2:15 pm
    —————————-

Clearly you can see I have responded to others and they have only made one post on this thread. How many posts you up to now? Like I have said you are the one that inserts himself on these threads to get responses. Then when people respond to you do you act all proud. Is it that lonely out there?

61. jkossrt says:
    November 14, 2019 at 11:48 am
    Long live the goat!

———————————–

——–

6 SB wins say otherwise

62. Vasteelerfan says:
    November 14, 2019 at 2:27 pm

———————————-

Vasteelerfan says:
    November 14, 2019 at 11:01 am
    —————————–

63. If it was up to Alex, Tom would play ’til he is 65, or Alex was 65 and could retire off the boatloads of cash he has made off Tom Giselle!

64. I love Brady & all he’s doing….. I just believe he’ll call it a career at 45, maybe less if he wins another Lombardi….
    He OBVIOUSLY loves what he does but I believe MRS . BRADY will say enough is enough if he tries to play beyond 45……
    & to all those about to go into shock, I believe Stidham should step in after playing & learning from Brady & Josh in the Patriots system as if he’s not ready then to take the reigns he never will be….. I just have a really good feeling about tha kid…… I actually thought he was late 1st round talent….…
    Go Pats

65. patsarticlemustpost says:
    November 14, 2019 at 2:49 pm
    ———————
    Speaking of distributing PEDs, how’s Rodney Harrison doing? Remember he received a shipment of HGH just days before SB 38?

66. patsarticlemustpost says:
    November 14, 2019 at 2:30 pm
    —————————–
    Clearly you are obsessed with me. Every time someone posts a comment that questions the integrity of the New England Patriots you get your jimmies rustled and HAVE to respond. Calm down.

67. Alex Guerrero, a man twice investigated by government regulators for misrepresenting himself as a doctor (he’s not) and falsely asserting that one supplement he was shilling had been clinically tested and proven to cure cancer, Parkinson’s, AIDS and other diseases and that another, which Brady once endorsed, could prevent concussions.

68. Here is 100% Factual Evidence that Brady will be done in the next year or two:

Brady has truthfully said this about his retirement – “When I suck, that is when I will retire”

Have you been watching his games lately???

He is in the beginning stages of ‘You Suck’

69. jkossrt says:
    November 14, 2019 at 11:48 am
    Long live the goat!

———————————–

—————–

Brady is much bigger than Montana and plays much more within the pocket. He would have lasted in any era. There have been guys that have lasted a long time in previous eras. Marino, Blanda, Favre, etc. It’s not that unusual. What’s unusual is his desire to continue to work and improve despite all his accomplishments. The winning he has done is unprecedented. That’s more than partly due to Belichick and all Brady’s teammates, but Brady has executed at a higher level for a longer time than anyone ever has. You don’t have to call him the greatest of all time, but it fits.

70. Chill_Donahue says:

November 14, 2019 at 2:17 pm

rogergoodellmyhero says:

November 14, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Chill_Donahue says:
    November 14, 2019 at 1:11 pm
    Gordie Howe was playing in the NHL at age 52 without a helmet.
    —————————
    Wrong, Gordie Howe was 42.

=======================================================================

================================================================

A thumbs down for a cold fact. Guess rogergoodellmyhero doesn’t like facts.

71. Chill_Donahue says:
    November 14, 2019 at 3:30 pm
    A thumbs down for a cold fact. Guess rogergoodellmyhero doesn’t like facts.
    ———————————-
    I’m not the one who gave you a thumbs down. But if likes for posts motivate you then you have some mental issues. Nice try on the assumptions, sounds like you’re the same person as patsarticlemustpost who accuses me of being a Phins fan, then a Colts fan. Exposed! One person and multiple accounts, what a life you live!

72. Ummm. Am I missing something here? Did you not just do the same thing? At least AG is not serving 10 years in federal prison for distributing PEDs. Of course over 20 years Rydze never did that for the Steelers. Listen to your own advice and stop lying. You know better that Brady has never had a PED violation.

What you missed is the fact the Steelers were never implicated in the Drs’s illegal doings. Stop lying or provide the proof…..which you don’t have ….so just stop its no longer amusing with your false equivalency. This is the old go to for obtuse Steeler hating trolls…..yawn.

73. Vasteelerfan says:
    November 14, 2019 at 3:59 pm

———————————————-

I have as much proof as you saying the same thing about Brady. What facts do you have to implicate him? My goodness you are very amusing with saying false things then getting on other for doing the same thing. I do not hate the Steelers one bit. Just Steelers fans like yourself. You calling others hating trolls is priceless. What does that make you?

74. Brady loves to play and compete, simple as that. Our offensive line has been pretty bad, which has limited Brady and our running game.

75. well yeah….. when the refs keep blowing the whistle when defenses get with in 20 yards of him….. cause that’s fun to watch -_-

76. htownrugby says:
    November 15, 2019 at 10:03 am
    ———————–

Please do some research. Brady has had ZERO roughing the passer penalties for him this season. Since 2009 Brady has played in 188 games and has had Roughing the Passer called 28 times. He has also played more games than any other QB over that time. He is 8th on the list. Stop with the whining “if you even breathe on Brady you get a flag.” It’s simply not true.