Tom Brady: Bill Belichick uses incidents like Thursday as teaching moments

Getty Images

Patriots coach Bill Belichick doesn’t tolerate fights and doesn’t like undisciplined play, and when he sees it from other teams, he makes an example of it with his own team.

That’s the word from Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who said on Friday that incidents like the Thursday fracas between the Browns and Steelers turn into topics of discussion in Patriots team meetings, where Belichick tells the players what he expects.

“Coach Belichick tries to use it as teaching moments. Talks about not throwing punches, not touching referees and staying on the sidelines,” Brady said.

That’s not to say the Patriots are perfect on that score — Rob Gronkowski was suspended for a cheap shot in 2017, and a fight marred the end of the Patriots’ Super Bowl win over the Seahawks — but good coaches understand that their players need to be disciplined. Browns coach Freddie Kitchens took umbrage with reporters when he was asked after Thursday’s game whether he condones fighting, but it’s hard not to look at Kitchens’ team and think the coach needs to do a better job of finding teaching moments.

71 responses to “Tom Brady: Bill Belichick uses incidents like Thursday as teaching moments

1. Belichick doesn’t let his team get too high or too low, famously burying a football to symbolize moving on from a particularly bad loss or saying “we are on to” the next game instead of endlessly discussing wins (usually) or the rare loss.

2. Kitchens should have gotten at least four games as well. That looked no different than Greg Williams telling players to take out the head….

3. I remember a game when Belichick benched Aquib Talib for an altercation, and it worked.
    It calmed him down.

I remember when Tom coughlin did nothing when OBJ was getting into it with Josh Norman, and ended up hurting the team. I think he got suspended by the NFL for a game also.

4. The helmet hit was completely unacceptable but come on now. The Steelers have been slamming Browns QBs into concussions and knocking out Browns WRS for the past 10 years and then when the tables finally get turned, it’s poor Steelers getting bullied. The fact is this game was so uneventful because of pure dominance. The last 8 seconds was pathetic and selfish on Garrett’s part but don’t blame the entire team for his stupidity.

5. Can’t compare Gronk losing his head a bit to to the attempted murder we saw Thursday night. Gronk got over zealous and frustrated. Garrett lost his mind and literally could have killed the guy, whether or not Rudolph was at fault for the initial fight too.

6. “Then why did the Patriots start the rumble at the end of SB 49?
    They humiliated themselves on the biggest stage.”

The Patriots DIDN’T start that fight. That was done by the very frustrated Seahawks. Michael Bennett if I recall correctly. But it is true that the Pats, especially Gronk, ENDED it.

You should get your fact straight. But I forgot, Mort, you’re a hater and haters have NEVER dealt in facts.

7. patswinyoucry says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:26 am
    Patriots didn’t start the fight with the Seahawks, Michael Bennet did, so nice try.
    —————————-
    Yeah but then a few years later the Patriots got Bennett from Philadelphia which transferred blame from the incident in Glendale from Seattle to New England. Then when Bennett was sent to Dallas the blame stays with New England because thats how the scoring system works.

8. Glorydays says:
    November 16, 2019 at 8:48 am
    Belichick just teaches how not to get caught….

——————–

I’m not a Pats fan and I realize they have had a shady past, but thats a crazy statement. He is clearly a great coach.

9. Vasteelerfan says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:11 am
    So Brady thinks only BB makes these things teachable moments…..that’s really arrogant and really nobody cares what BB does.

Where on earth does it say in the article does it say that Brady thinks BB is the only coach that does this? Apparently your hatred of the Patriots affects your reading comprehension.

10. The Seahawks incident was the Seahawks being cry babies that they lost due to one of the WORST play calls EVER IN FOOTBALL….Whahahahahahha I’m still laughing at that call and so is every single NON-Seahawks fan out there it was absolutely HORRIBLE

11. whenwilliteverend says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:40 am
    I wonder what BB taught Aaron Hernandez….
    ————————
    BB immediately cut him. But I know a team who gave a killer a nice contract extension and a statue. I also know a network who signed this killer to be on TV. As always, NE does the correct thing.

12. “The last 8 seconds was pathetic and selfish on Garrett’s part but don’t blame the entire team for his stupidity.”

The Browns lead the league in penalties this season and in fines, so yes, the entire team is poorly coached and undisciplined. That starts with Freddie Kittens who is utterly and totally unqualified to be an NFL head coach

13. As much as I hate the Pats and BB even more so, he probably would use this as a “teaching moment” in teaching his guys not to act like idiots ( at least whilst they wear Pats uni’s ), that’s why he will likely go down as one of the all time great coaches

14. “And Brady uses incidents like Thursday to keep his name in the media. All pro self-promoter. Props to TB12.”

You do realize it is a league mandated press conference (click the twitter link). When reporters ask him questions, he answers them. I’m sure if he took the Marshawn Lynch approach he would be crucified by the haters.

15. ricko1112 says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:58 am
    whenwilliteverend says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:40 am
    I wonder what BB taught Aaron Hernandez….
    ————————
    ——————————-
    I knew the Pats signed Donte Stallworth (after he left the Ravens), but I was not aware that they gave him a contract extension and a statue. It’s nice to know that NE did the right thing. A killer deserves a second chance.

16. The Browns have been serving as a teaching moment to the other 31 NFL teams every week for 20 years.

17. Coach says to a reporter, “Of course football player are dumb. I’ll prove it.”
    He calls his QB over and says, “Run over to my office and see if I’m there.”
    QB says, “Ok, coach” and runs off.
    Ten minutes later, QB comes running back and says, “I went to your office and you weren’t there.”
    Coach tells the QB to go back to practice.
    The reporter said, “You’re right. Players are dumb.”
    Coach said, “You bet they are. He could have just called instead of running over there.”

18. “…it’s hard not to look at Kitchens’ team and think the coach needs to do a better job of finding teaching moments”

Lets not forget that Kitchens is a 1st year head coach. He’s got a very long list of things to improve in order change the culture & right the ship in Cleveland. Cleveland has a bunch of young players & new free agents, it’ll take time to gel. I do not discount the severity of what Garrett did, but Kitchens needs time to get it right.

19. I don’t think BB on Tom Brady have any experience of having another player tackle Brady well after a play and have his helmet taken off and slammed into his head. That hasn’t napped to Brady or BB’s team. You can prepare for moments that are tense, but that behavior on Thursday had never been committed successfully where a helmet swung caught someone’s head.

20. Vasteelerfan says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:11 am

===================================

Brady never once said that only BB does that, and a lot of people care what BB does and says. As a Steeler fan, you should wish that your HC was half as respected as BB.

21. Yet you have no answer regarding the texts, destroyed evidence and footage of equipment guys taking the balls into a private room. Speaks for itself, guilty and punished. Congressional probe ….etc etc etc. Then there’s Mr. Human traffic himself basically corrupt from the top down. Noting under BB counts, sorry sport.

22. All coaches should use things like this as teachable moments. I’m sure a great many will or have already addressed their players regarding this unfortunate incident. There is plenty of blame to go around on both sides, but swinging a weapon, yes, the helmet at that point was a weapon, had to be dealt with harshly. I don’t think any involved are horrible guys, but you have to be more in control of yourself. I’m equally concerned with the comments regarding it being a “bounty game”. I’m not saying it definitely was, but I would like to know more.

23. Not surprising, given that Belichick has admitted using videotapes of other team’s defensive signals to teach Brady what plays to call.

24. Yet you have no answer regarding the texts, destroyed evidence and footage of equipment guys taking the balls into a private room. Speaks for itself, guilty and punished. Congressional probe ….etc etc etc. Then there’s Mr. Human traffic himself basically corrupt from the top down. Noting under BB counts, sorry sport.
    —————
    I actually laughed out loud after reading this post with all its fabricated nonsense!
    As the NFL said in Federal Court – “ we have no evidence “!
    Go Pats!

25. Never RIP the helmet off, grab facemask and twist. All of a sudden they are fine upstanding citizens who teach the right way. Priceless

26. It’s ridiculous to think that the Browns defense should have laid down on the last play. It’s not basketball where both teams stand around for the last 20 seconds. Pittsburgh was running a play and the defense did their job. It’s like people expect them to give up an 80-yard touchdown just cuz there’s 8 seconds left and they’re up by 14.

27. MortimerInMiami says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:17 am
    Then why did the Patriots start the rumble at the end of SB 49?
    They humiliated themselves on the biggest stage.
    ——————–
    I’m sorry, who started that? That would be Michael Bennett jumping the snap count on a kneel down to try and force a fumble.

28. It would be nice if Bellichick would teach Brady how to throw the ball down the field beyond 10 yards.

29. Belichick just wants the players to leave the cheating to him and Brady, the true masters.

30. I agree with this assessment but we tell our little leaguers that I coach to play disciplined and they know not to hit anyone over the head with a helmet. What Garrett did was beyond lost his cool. I have no issue with.the fight between players. Not a fan of it but that alone should have netted 1 game each. But Garrett when over the top. That doesn’t just happen. There’s a build up. That’s on coaching for not correcting or noticing.

31. “It would be nice if Bellichick would teach Brady how to throw the ball down the field beyond 10 yards.”

It would be nice if idiots didn’t keep posting the same tired, long disproven statements over and over as if they are somehow being clever

32. Vasteelerfan says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:11 am
    ===========================

“Nobody cares” says the non-Patriots fan reading and commenting on Patriots related articles.

33. eaglesmancave says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:21 am
    ——————
    Attempted murder? I literally watched worse beatings in high school. These players do way more damage during the game. Rudolph didn’t even have a reaction. Give me a break Nancy.

34. MortimerInMiami says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:17 am
    Then why did the Patriots start the rumble at the end of SB 49?
    They humiliated themselves on the biggest stage.
    ________________________

Did you watch the same SB 49 that I did?

35. Re the hit by Rob Gronkowski – yes, Myles Garrett was trying to hurt Mason Rudolph with a helmet. Rob Gronkowski was trying to injure the on the ground defender with a diving, spearing block to the back. The HUGE difference? Fortunately, Garrett hit Rudolph with the padded part of the helmet’s exterior. Gronkowski hit a bullseye – right in the middle of the defender’s spine. The fortunate part here? The target of Gronkowsk’s wrath wasn’t killed or paralyzed or otherwise badly injured. It was as gutless and as cowardly as any cheap shot I have ever seen.

36. Seems like the world forgot… the Browns aren’t Freddy Kitchen’s team, they are Gregg Williams’ team, and it is indeed how they were taught to play, from a man they actually respected and admired and under whose guidance they WON, even THRIVED. They are absolutely still playing with his ethos and attitude, but without his skill and TRUE leadership, it’s toxic.

37. A couple weeks back the Pats were kicking the sh!t out of the Jets ( as usual ) and yet on the sideline he took time during his team’s possession to huddle the entire D and go over stuff he was seeing in the game. He doesn’t let up for a second, he doesn’t put up with star egos and he just keeps on winning. Other people hate him…they should admire the greatest pro football coach EVER. I, as a Giants fan, will be forever saddened are idiot owners ever let him ( or Parcells for that matter, granted he left for personal reasons ) get away. No doubt in my mind the Giants wouldn’t have a couple more trophies in the case if they could have held onto one, preferably both.

38. Guess I didn’t realize that universally stupid behavior needed to be a teaching moment. I don’t need to teach my kids that was wrong. Or my friends. Or my employees. Or anyone I have ever met in my life

39. droppedinagreasefire says:
    November 16, 2019 at 9:11 am

————————————————————————————–
    Keep his name in the media? Like every other QB in the NFL, Brady has league mandated media availability, and during that mandatory session was asked a question to which he responded.

40. Poor Brady. Can’t stand that the spotlight isn’t on him every minute of the day. Always has to make it about him.

41. I love reading all the rediculous comments from pats haters. You sound like petulent entitled children! My kids at 6 and 4 have more maturity.

Any coach with a half a brain would use this as a moment to reflect and learn how to control players emotions on the field.

42. really nobody cares what BB does.
    ——————-
    EVERYBODY in the NFL cares what BB does. just one long look and your coach is changng his diaper.