Myles Garrett fined $45,623 in addition to indefinite suspension

Getty Images

The NFL fined Browns defensive end Myles Garrett $45,623, Ian Rapoport of the NFL reports.

That is in addition to Garrett’s indefinite suspension, which was upheld by appeals officer James Thrash on Thursday afternoon.

Garrett not only has lost his reputation, but his helmet-swinging incident has cost him millions.

A six-game suspension for the rest of this season will cost him $1.139 million in lost pay. He has a base salary of $3.229 million this season.

The Browns also could pursue partial reimbursement of Garrett’s $5.064 million signing bonus allocation for 2019.

The NFL fined Garrett three times earlier this season. He lost $21,056 for each of his two roughing the passer penalties against the Jets — a total of $42,112 — and $10,527 for hitting Titans tight end Delanie Walker in the facemask with an open hand.

41 responses to “Myles Garrett fined $45,623 in addition to indefinite suspension

1. Mason Rudolph is indefinitely a coward in my opinion. He tries to tear of Garrett’s helmet first…then jumps back in to throw a punch from behind DeCastro and gets what he deserves…then throws his hands up like a child for help from the refs. That image will follow Rudolph his entire life now.

2. I have zero respect for Garrett who not only never took responsibility for using a helmet as a weapon he then goes on to try to use the race card to get his suspension reduced. The guy is pure trash and should never be allowed to play in the NFL again.

3. I am all for him getting fined but where do they come up with these numbers? $45,623, $21,056, $10,527? Is it a percentage of some amount?

4. Anybody remember Charles Martin body slamming Jim McMahon in the 80’s? That’s what the whole thing made me think of. Had to look it up and rewatch it. Saw that game on tv.

5. Don’t let this distract you guys from the fact that Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 because of where he was filming signals on football fields in 2007. Don’t forget about inflation. Now, Garrett tried killing someone and he received a $45,623 fine.

6. Absolutely ridiculous and once again NFL demonstrates its biases towards teams and players. This isn’t the first time and won’t be the last. There is never a common sense explanation and logic in these decisions. If there truly was a racial slur used, the NFL just ignored it and there were no repercussions which sets a bad precedence as well.

7. This guy is getting what he deserves. If you injure someone on an illegal hit, you should be suspended until the player you injured comes back.

His late hit on Trevor Siemian back in week 2 was flagged and fined, and he ended Siemian’s season. Now this guy can ride the pine too, with a well-earned dirty reputation if and when he is reinstated. Hope the Browns go after his unearned signing bonus.

8. FootballSeasonRules says:
    November 21, 2019 at 3:45 pm
    ===============
    Always about the Patriots. Remind me again how many games BB was suspended for.

9. ZERO respect for Mason Rudolph, who started it, continued it, and then pretended he was an innocent bystander.

Glad he’s not my QB or on my team!

10. inozwetrust says:
    November 21, 2019 at 3:35 pm

I assume it is some sort of percentage based on the player salary but this is the NFL so who knows. Isn’t this the sort of thing that is defined in the agreement with the NFLPA?

Its a good thing the amount is $45,623. I told a friend if the fine wasn’t at least $45,620 I would be outraged.

11. I like MG before this. Thought he was good player and a classy guy.
    His actions proved otherwise.
    His Race card use has totally destroyed any and all credibility he ever had.

I’m done with him. Ban him.

12. yzeass says:
    November 21, 2019 at 4:08 pm
    inozwetrust says:
    November 21, 2019 at 3:35 pm

——————-
    🙂

13. Still no fine announcement for Rudolph? Why is he the only one skating so far? How many other times has one participant in a fight been ignored by the league for this long? He instigated then escalated the fight. He was an active and willing participant in the fight and to my knowledge that means he get penalized like every other person in the NFL who is involved in fights. Could they still be trying to get to the truth about the racial slur? Or are they trying to appease Mr. Rooney?

14. saulg2 says:
    November 21, 2019 at 4:14 pm
    I like MG before this. Thought he was good player and a classy guy.
    His actions proved otherwise.
    His Race card use has totally destroyed any and all credibility he ever had.

I’m done with him. Ban him.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Judge, jury and executioner. I love how so many people are willing to call someone a liar with absolutely no proof whatsoever. What are you going to say if it comes out that Rudolph really did say it?

15. Kolo Jezdec says:
    November 21, 2019 at 4:01 pm

FootballSeasonRules says:
    November 21, 2019 at 3:45 pm

===============

Always about the Patriots. Remind me again how many games BB was suspended for.

_____________________________________________________________

Remind me again how many draft picks the Browns were docked in this case. The answer is none. Players earn more than coaches in this league.

16. I’m not sure what is so hard to understand for some on here. Garrett made an accusation that he can’t prove. Personally, I think he made the whole thing up in an effort to reduce his suspension, but that’s neither here, nor there. You can’t just go around making accusations about what someone said or did without proof or in this case, without one shred of evidence.

17. Garrett will still end up in the Hall of Fame and Mason Rudolph is playing his last game as a starter. Garrett still wins.

18. The NFL needed to deal with Garrett earlier and much tougher at the beginning of the season. He had two roughing the passer penalties against the Jets, both cheap shots and he should have been suspended for the one that ended Trevor Siemian’s season. Instead the NFL just fined him.

19. kamthechancellor says:
    November 21, 2019 at 3:30 pm

——–
    I dunno about that, but the image of a player swinging a helmet against another player’s bare head will absolutely be forever associated with Garrett, and it is much, much, worse.

20. Just the way Miles Garrett ripped Rudolph’s helmet off was enough to potentially break his neck. He then saw his neck wasn’t broken so he tried to break his skull with a helmet. Enough said….

21. You see where Garrett slipped up is that Thursday Night football has more mikes than a Beverly Hills Phone book. For sure it would have been picked up. Watch the tape too. Garrett should get an extra 5 games for slander and now starting a race war between the 2 teams