Getty Images

The Panthers fired Ron Rivera on a Tuesday. Five days before their Week 14 game and four games before the end of the season.

The timing made little sense.

“Quite frankly, our season is . . . not over but as far as making the playoffs [it’s over],” owner David Tepper said in an interview with the team website. “I could make the change now. I could make it later. There are competitive reasons why I wanted to make sure we are out there looking at all personnel possible for the future. I don’t want to in any way, shape or form didn’t want to be having inquiries where Ron didn’t know what I was doing. I don’t want to be doing things not up front. It’s just not who I am. I’d rather be straight up and honest. If I’m going to make a change, I’m going to take a change. Not to get a competitive disadvantage over other teams, if I need to talk to people, I want to talk to them and I want to talk to them in a straightforward and honest way.”

Rivera went 76-63-1 as the team’s head coach with four playoff appearances. The Panthers won the NFC title in 2015 after going 15-1 in the regular season but lost to the Broncos in Super Bowl 50.

Tepper said it was an “emotional conversation” with Rivera as he handed him the pink slip.

“Look, a very hard move,” Tepper said. “Ron Rivera, besides being a good coach, is one of the finest men I have ever met in my life. I have to say that upfront. Look, I came here two years ago. I wanted to show patience on the football side to see how it was going. On the business side, we made vast and sweeping changes and I didn’t want to make those vast and sweeping changes on the football side. I wanted to take time and patience to see what could go and how it could go. I just thought it was time given the way things have gone the last two seasons to put my stamp on this organization on the football side as we’ve done on the business side of the organization. I think as much respect as I have for Ron, I think a change was appropriate to build things the way I want things to be built.”

74 responses to “Panthers owner David Tepper: It’s time for me to put my stamp on the football side

1. It’a all about him. That’s why he left the Steelers owenership group to buy the Panthers. He wanted to be “the guy”. Well now he has it. He wants to put his stamp on it, he needs to understand when they go down, it’s all on him.

2. Lololol. What every fan wants, an owner who puts his stamp on the football side!

All of the Panthers fans who couldn’t suffer the multiple Super Bowl appearances and MVP quarterback will finally get their wish. No more “mediocrity,” just full-fledged suckitude.

Like I said in a prior thread, though, he’s 62. Most Panthers fans will outlive this. Dan Snyder was 34 when he bought the Skins.

3. If he knew he wasn’t going to keep him then why not go ahead and do it now so they can start identifying candidates to replace him before those guys go somewhere else.

I’ll be surprised if Newton is on the roster next year. They can use the money that will save by adding a player or two that will contribute instead of being injured all the time.

4. danielsong39 says:
    December 3, 2019 at 6:23 pm
    Cut Cam Newton and Eric Reid

********************************************************************************

Would be doing Cam a favor! He will get offered more $$$ than the 19 Mil he would get under his current contract from the Bears, Jags, Titans, Bengals, or Tampa Bay. Cam’s Contract is actually a BARGAIN. Or they can “Go All In” on Brian Hoyer 2.0 #CHOICES

And you’re bothered by Eric Reid?? Really……..Says EVERYTHING

5. Ok, you fired Rivera.
    That’s 1 out of 3.
    Fire Cam and Reid and I’ll quit looking upon your team with contempt.
    Deal?

6. Tepper is from Pittsburgh & used to own 5% of the Steelers…will his stamp be Steelers OC,
    Randy Fichtner or DC, Keith Butler?

7. Coming from the Steelers side of things, he should have seen what built a great program.
    The continuity that the Steelers have shown for decades, and the role the owners play in that have been admired by many (I am not a Steelers fan but can appreciate it).
    He has now cast that aside to play with his shiny new toy. (I am also not a Panthers fan)
    I hope he puts the right people in place and leaves it the heck alone, for many years to come, guessing that’s not in the cards.

8. When someone tells you that many times that they’re “straightforward and honest,” and “upfront…because that’s the way I am,” watch your back because the bull spit is gonna get deep and it’s gonna get ugly!

9. Where’s the football guy? Where’s Hurney? What was his input? Where is his statement? It’s almost as if a hedge fund manager with no football experience skipped over the football guy to make the decision himself.

10. I know nothing about Tepper. I’m not a Carolina fan, nor do I follow the team much. I don’t know that he’s going to do better than Rivera. However, it seems like a well thought out decision on his part and it’s his Team. He can have crappy reasons, but they’re his reasons and he wrote the check.

11. He paid over two billion dollars for the franchise. He should get a chance to set it up the way he wants.

Hopefully he has good advisers and hopefully he’s willing to listen to them.

12. I’m really tickled over this. Watching Carolina fans on these boards complain incessantly about the Super Bowl teams and MVP quarterback with absolutely no idea what bad actually looks like. You’re getting what you deserve. A hedge fund manager who’s an even bigger football genius than you! Lol

I am however sorry to the realistic Panthers fans who know it was pretty good before and that it’s about to be bad for decades. God speed. You are invited to pick up some $4 tickets at half empty FedUp field and commiserate.

13. bigblu73 says:
    December 3, 2019 at 6:42 pm
    danielsong39 says:
    December 3, 2019 at 6:23 pm
    Cut Cam Newton and Eric Reid

And you’re bothered by Eric Reid?? Really……..Says EVERYTHING
    ___________________

Thank you bigblu73. You are a breath of fresh air. It’s heartening to know some people still exist who have a sense of decency and racial justice. The hate for Cam is truly frightening and speaks volumes to the state of affairs in our country. I can only say it’s with great pleasure and pride that I – like you – am far above that and refuse to stoop to their level. Well done, sir.

14. Next course of action will be Stephen A Smith and kellermann screaming and crying racism that Rivera was fired and Garrett wasn’t. You know for a fact this is what they will be wailing about endlessly all day tomorrow

15. Does referring to himself 35 times in that rambling monologue count as his stamp on the the team?

As Jones enters his 150s, another cluelessly bloated ego prepares to take the me-me-me throne.

Also, when people have to continuously insist that they’re honest, and/or telling the truth this time, lying is their natural mindset.

16. While I was reading Panthers Owner David Tepper quote; I have to say, this guy sounds like President Trump!

17. So Mortimerin Miami how many teams haven’t changed coaches in the past 10 years ?? And the ones that have how many have been successful???….. If no success is imminent do you just stick with that coaching staff???….
    Point is – few teams achieve sustained success in this era and most that do is short lived

18. cardinealsfan2o says:
    December 3, 2019 at 7:20 pm
    bigblu73 says:
    December 3, 2019 at 6:42 pm
    danielsong39 says:
    December 3, 2019 at 6:23 pm
    Cut Cam Newton and Eric Reid
    And you’re bothered by Eric Reid?? Really……..Says EVERYTHING
    ___________________
    Ah, yes, there it is the race card. State of affairs in our country, the race card again. Wow. I actually like Cam Newton, but he has not played very good last few years. At this point Winston is better and he is not great. Not a fan of Eric Reid, too much drama for me. And I suppose you are a Kap fan too? The NFL did nothing to him, he did it to himself. He is the one who walked away from the NFL. Always got to be about the race card.

19. cardinealsfan2o says:
    December 3, 2019 at 7:20 pm
    bigblu73 says:
    December 3, 2019 at 6:42 pm
    danielsong39 says:
    December 3, 2019 at 6:23 pm
    Cut Cam Newton and Eric Reid

And you’re bothered by Eric Reid?? Really……..Says EVERYTHING
    ___________________

So how is this now a race issue? Only in the sense that race is the issue on every subject to a certain segment of our society I assume.

20. Funny how the minority coach who took his team to a Super Bowl is unceremoniously dumped in the middle of the season while white incompetent coaches like Garrett and Kitchens are never humiliated like that.

21. Wow. Firing a coach just to “put your stamp” on a franchise. Just…I mean, what do you say to the monumental stupidity of that as motivation?

22. I like Tepper & i think he will make good decisions on the football side. Its funny how the racists are usually the ones complaining about the race card like its never a factor. Its not alwsys but most of the time it is, you just like being ignorant. What did Eric Reid do wrong, nothing but play good football & have a conscious. I can’t stand Steven A. Smith, but of course a racist brings him up, how does he even fit in the article? Lol. I understand the hate for Newton, just like all the racists that wanted Andrew Luck, how many MVP’s has Luck won? Go Panthers!

23. Funny how the minority coach who took his team to a Super Bowl is unceremoniously dumped in the middle of the season while white incompetent coaches like Garrett and Kitchens are never humiliated like that.
    ==================

Who you trying to fool? Maybe you haven’t been paying attention to the most recent bout of public and prolonged humiliation Jerry Jones put Garrett through. Not even the first time either, and if he renews his contract, it won’t be the last. So tell me, when did Trepper do anything like that?

24. realfootballfan says:
    December 3, 2019 at 7:54 pm
    Just like Haslem. these minority Steeler owners are a doozy. Soon as they got in the club, they let all of the crazy hang out.
    ____________

You do know the Rooney Rule was conceived by and adopted by the NFL at Mr. Rooney’s urging, and he is the primary owner of the Steelers, don’t you? The idea Steeler minority owners are anything other than nearly perfect is ridiculous.

25. I can follow Tepper’s logic. Why keep a lame duck coach. I like Rivera but if he isn’t going to the playoffs two straight years & its not close, whats the point, you can’t move forward by being afraid to make changes. I like that he waited 2 years, that is fair in my book.

26. Funny how the minority coach who took his team to a Super Bowl is unceremoniously dumped in the middle of the season while white incompetent coaches like Garrett and Kitchens are never humiliated like that.
    ==================

Funny how some people wanna bring race into it…Titanic Ron should have been fired last year the guy RUINED Cam Newton!! When Cam was in his prime, and the Panthers had the best team in football they forgot to show up for the biggest game of the year, and LOST to Spaghetti arm Peyton Manning in the Superbowl. Rivera should have been fired the year after in 2016 when the Panthers forgot to show up and play football following their Superbowl loss, and finished 6-10….That’s it plain and simple

27. danielsong39 says:
    December 3, 2019 at 6:23 pm
    Cut Cam Newton and Eric Reid
    ————————————
    By singling out Eric Reid your just showing it’s not about football for you it’s politics.

28. bobbydouglass says:
    December 3, 2019 at 8:42 pm
    Tepper said “I” 23 times in this story. He sounds fun.
    ———————————
    Plus ”we” 3 times and ”my” once. Yep, nothing could be finer than to be in Caroliner next September….

29. Jerruh and Snyder got a hold of this guy and talked him over to the dark side of NFL ownership. Worst possible mentors you could have. Sorry Panther fans, based on those twos track record you won’t sniff another Super Bowl appearance for 50 years

30. While Tepper does seem to be overreacting a little bit, I can kind of understand where he is coming from. Rivera had a lot of 6 and 7 win seasons, and maybe Tepper felt he needed someone to take his team over the edge.

31. His decision made some Panthers fans happy but I don’t think everybody liked the way it happened. If this turns out poorly he’s going to look bad very quickly. Owners are judged almost as harshly as coaches and GMs these days.

32. Rivera should have been fired the year after in 2016 when the Panthers forgot to show up and play football following their Superbowl loss, and finished 6-10….That’s it plain and simple
    ———————-
    It’s called a super bowl hangover and 50% of teams get one. He did bounce back the following year and lead his team to their 4th playoff appearance in 5 years. 4 appearances in 5 years is not an easy thing to do in the NFL, especially with a diva at quarterback.

33. There’s a reason why the Saints and Ravens, among others, are competitive every year. Steve Bischotti and Gayle Benson sign the checks and stay the hell away from the football people. Why is this so hard for the others to understand?

34. “Ron! It’s me, Big Dave. You’re fired.” If that’s what Tepper thinks of as being very hard, how does he even get out of bed in the morning? What a joke.

35. Rivera was a solid coach. Losing cam didn’t help his cause. As a Saints fan I’m glad he’s out the division, he played us harder then any other coach in the league. Good luck riverboat Ron.

36. Riverboat Ron will be coaching the Browns in ‘20. Mark it. As for Tepper, I will hold my judgement……

37. This feels like a mistake. Rivera is a really good head coach and had that team playing above it’s talent level with an UDFA 2nd year backup QB in starting. I’m not sure the Panthers will find a better head coach than River Boat Ron in this hiring cycle, but I know other teams are extremely excited Rivera has hit the market. Rivera won’t be out of work for long.

38. Rivera is a great guy but it was time for a change. 9 seasons, only 3 playoff appearances that included a 7-8-1 team. Panthers fans will forever be grateful for the 15-1 miracle season when Cam Newton and the defense caught lightning in a bottle. Whoever gets Rivera will be getting great locker room presence and players coach, also someone who frequently misunderstands analytics and will forever burn 1st quarter timeouts and punt on 4th&2 in opposing teams territory.

39. welcome to the dumpster fire club panthers!. With the Redskins with Snyder, the Cowboys with JJ, and now the Panthers, you have joined an elite group of franchises that have owners with egos so large they will slide into mediocrity or worse until your owner dies…