Lamar Jackson is questionable for Thursday night

Getty Images

Unofficially, Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson has said he’ll play despite a quadricep injury. Officially, he’s questionable for the prime-time Thursday game against the Jets.

Jackson fully participated in Wednesday’s practice, a day after he was limited. He injured the leg on a hit he took when throwing a touchdown pass to tight end Hayden Hurst on Sunday in Buffalo.

If Jackson plays, he’ll be facing a defense coordinated by Gregg Williams, who was suspended for a full year due to his use of a bounty program in New Orleans. Ravens safety Earl Thomas expressed concern on Tuesday that officials aren’t protecting Jackson from hits to his legs.

His legs now have an even larger target on them, given that he’s injured for the first time this year — and that the opposing defense knows it.

Ravens linebacker Chris Board is out for Thursday’s game with a concussion. Tackle Ronnie Stanley is doubtful, also with a concussion. Tight end Mark Andrews (knee), safety Anthony Levine Sr. (ankle), and defensive end Jihad Ward (elbow) are questionable.

39 responses to “Lamar Jackson is questionable for Thursday night

1. Lamar runs like a running back and should expect to be hit like one. I dont understand Earl Thomas’ issue. Lamar is putting fools on skates of course they are going to go lower to wrap up his legs.

2. Is Greg Williams past going to brought up every time he plays a team? Everyone knows what happened, he did his suspension, move on. I hope that most if not ALL D-coords tell their players to hit injured spots on an opposing players body.

3. I hope he is ok because the Ravens need to lock up the #1 seed

But if you are going to take a break for 1 game, I am sure RGIII and in need be McSorely can take care of the Jets.

4. themasterclam says:
    December 11, 2019 at 2:38 pm
    =======================================================
    Except his injury didn’t come on a running play. It came on a play where he was standing in the pocket on a passing play.

5. Nothing wrong with targeting his legs unless hes in the pocket. Once hes outside the tackles hes fair game.

6. waldoampere says:
    December 11, 2019 at 2:41 pm
    If Jackson can’t run, he becomes a pedestrian QB at best.
    ————————————————
    I just learned that leading the NFL in passing touchdowns is considered pedestrian now. Interesting.

7. In nowadays injury reports, questionable means he’s playing. Since the NFL did away with probable (Not sure exactly why), questionable has become the new probable. Excited for the game! Let’s keep rolling!!!

8. If I’m the Ravens I STRONGLY consider starting RG3 if Jackson is still tender on Thursday. Theyre gearing up for a Super Bowl run and getting RG3 some valuable reps wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Because you heard it here first. They could still win a Lombardi Trophy with RG3 (2017 Foles style).

9. Good hopefully the ravens are just as stupid as some of these fans on here saying it’s just the jets just sit him out. That’s exactly how teams get beat by overlooking the team they are playing.

10. When Earl Thomas played for the Seahawks he laid the lumber on many a QB that dared run beyond the line of scrimmage. Guess it was alright then…not so much now.

11. You can put a pad over a thigh contusion. This isn’t rocket science. There’s no reason for him not to play.

12. The Ravens can win this game with RG3 considering who the Jets have at QB and injuries on the defense.

13. This guy is looking like a great QB but he sounds like a moron…. How do these guys make it through college?
    ———————————————————
    Because he doesn’t talk like YOU means he’s not smart? FOH!

14. Honestly if I’m the coach, I’d think about resting him at some point, he may be too banged up come playoff time but they have to try for the bye.

15. As a fan of good football I want them to error on the side of caution. You could sign me for a game and there’s still a 60% the Ravens win if I get the start

16. smarterthanyouoryours says:
    December 11, 2019 at 6:37 pm
    After telling Ravens’ fans that I wished he would slide to avoid extra hits, yet being told that it doesn’t matter because he’s so unbelievable.

I have to say too bad.

—————–

Let me help catch you up. He was hit in the leg while completing a TD pass to Hurst. So I ask…how is a QB standing in the pocket, waiting a second or two longer than he should knowing he will take a hit, supposed to slide?

17. All the star players should sit out Thursday games until the NFL gets the message … no more Thursday games unless the teams are coming off a bye week.

18. jrquiz says:
    December 11, 2019 at 5:22 pm
    No reason for Lamar to play in this game.
    ——————————-
    I think if they win this game they clinch the #1 seed or close

19. I cant believe people still find fault with this guy. Maybe he will get hurt running one day, maybe he isnt always the most prototypical pocket passer, maybe this that and the other. The fact is he is lighting it up, has grown by leaps and bounds over a year and a half. Its hard to believe this is the same guy who couldnt throw a 10 yard pass against the Chargers last year. I salute the guy for obviously working very hard at improving his game rather than just relying on his athleticism. Basically, he put in the work that Mike Vick refused to for a decade. Good for him.

20. Very few players regardless of position get injured during their careers. Some not so bad, others, serious enough to be career ending. The League has instituted various rules to help combat this and in doing so have created somewhat of a bubble mentality. That being said, I agree that Jackson increases his risk once outside the pocket and attempts to run. Most of the rules regarding QB’s go away at that point. However, after watching the 49er’s and Buffalo games again, there were at least 3-4 times that Jackson was hit in the pocket below the waist and sometimes at the knee’s in each game. Judgement call by the Officials not to throw a flag on 3 of those hits because they either did not see it or just decided not to, I have no idea. The other hits were nit picky non calls (could have been called or not. I’ve seen worse), but just the same I have to say the hits to Jacksons legs have increased. The recent injury came on such a play when he was in the pocket, going through his checks and found Hurst over the top. The hit was low (below the waist) and Jackson was not running but standing still, and the ball was gone. Injuries can bite any player, any time, I don’t want to see it for any team, but its part of the game… And, so is being LUCKY!! Especially when it comes to how bad that injury may be!!! I like the kid!!

21. Leads the league in TD passes from the POCKET, yet “when he can’t run he’s pedestrian at best.” Keep it up, your salt tastes great on anything he keeps cooking up.

22. I’ve not been of the mindset that Jackson was destined to get hurt. But if it were to happen, it feels like tonight would be the night. Say what you want about Gregg Williams, but he has a history of coaching dirty.

23. themasterclam says:
    December 11, 2019 at 2:38 pm

————

So when he is stationary in the pocket and throwing a 61 yard TD pass, which is the play he was injured on, he should be hit like a running back? Smart take.

24. bird2urmother says:
    December 11, 2019 at 2:50 pm

————

Oh, you mean like on the play where he was targeted in the legs. The play was a 61 yard pass stationary from the pocket. It injured his quadraceps. You mean like that?