Aaron Rodgers recalls Brian Urlacher’s “super-inappropriate” checks

Getty Images

In discussing the Packers-Bears rivalry this week, Aaron Rodgers revealed that Brian Urlacher put the blue in the Black and Blue division.

Rodgers said the Bears’ Hall of Fame linebacker was a worthy opponent in a chess match, but the defensive checks he used at the line of scrimmage weren’t the kinds of things you can print on a family website.

The checks he was saying were super-inappropriate,” Rodgers said, via Jason Lieser of the Chicago Sun-Times. “I think it was [before] the miking up of the guards, where every single word is heard, because I promise you if that happened today, some of that stuff would’ve had to get bleeped out.

“One of the first times we played golf in [Lake] Tahoe, we joked about some of those checks. I can still remember some of the crazy stuff he was saying. I just always wondered, ‘Was any of that stuff real or were you just [messing] around?’ We had some good laughs. . . . He said a lot of it was real. They would come up with them specifically for Packers week because . . . he said he had a beat on when we were checking. And they would come up with specific dirty checks to combat anything we were trying to do.”

When pressed, Rodgers couldn’t even offer a cleaned-up version of what Urlacher was saying to him on the field.

Which just makes us want to know what he was saying more than ever.

35 responses to “Aaron Rodgers recalls Brian Urlacher’s “super-inappropriate” checks

1. I remember the “check” he used for his own son which to me seemed pretty inappropriate so yeah I can believe this. I’d still like to hear the checks. I bet they’d be funny in the proper context.

2. Urlacher and Aaron are tight and Aaron often mentions Urlacher when he is asked who his favorite players to play against were/are.

The Bears vs. Packers game Sunday will be the 200th meeting between the two teams.

#GoPackGo!🏈

3. What is “super-inappropriate” is your current performance Aaron.

…and yes, that is coming from a 30 year ticket holder.

Play better.

4. What is “super-inappropriate” is your current performance Aaron.

…and yes, that is coming from a 30 year ticket holder.

Play better.
    _____________
    Comical comment! AR has a 102 QB rating, and is currently leading his team to a 10-3 record…

5. What is “super-inappropriate” is your current performance Aaron.
    —–
    A lot of teams would love to have a QB with a 65% completion rate and 23 td’s vs 2 int’s. Not to mention the 10-3 record that goes along with it.

6. Why would he even mention this is he’s not going to give the slightest nugget of what it could have been? This is lame.

7. When Rodgers talks to the press;

Haters: “Shut up!”

When Rodgers doesn’t talk to the press;

Haters: “Prima Donna!”

8. Watching these two “play chess” at the LOS was a thing of beauty. I would love to see the two of them break down video of some of those match ups. Something like….

Rodgers: We were in this, but I saw them in that, so I checked to__________.
    [roll video to show offensive realignment]

Urlacher: When they checked into ________, I checked us out of that and into the other.
    [roll video to show defensive realignment]

I just think that would be fascinating.

Rodgers: By this time, the play clock was almost down to zero so I gave (receiver) the (hot route) signal and called for the snap.
    [roll video to show the play]

9. Watching these two “play chess” at the LOS was a thing of beauty. I would love to see the two of them break down video of some of those match ups. Something like….

Rodgers: We were in this, but I saw them in that, so I checked to__________.
    [roll video to show offensive realignment]

[roll video to show defensive realignment]

[roll video to show the play]

I just think that would be fascinating.

10. mikemcarthy says:
    December 12, 2019 at 8:47 am
    What is “super-inappropriate” is your current performance Aaron.

…and yes, that is coming from a 30 year ticket holder.

Play better.
    —————————————-
    He seems to play much better when Jerome Boger’s crew is refereeing, the Pack usually gets multiple chances to make plays if they are not playing well.

11. bam5239 says:
    December 12, 2019 at 8:47 am
    Reminds of Cam Newton’s “even janitor” call that a Buc player asked if it was real mid cadence. That and who can forget “Omaha”
    —–
    Haa I remember when there was a game and the qb was calling out who the MIKE was and the defender was saying “Im not the MIKE, I’m not the MIKE!”. That made me laugh.

12. “What is “super-inappropriate” is your current performance Aaron… And yes, this is coming from a 30 year ticket holder”
    ___________

You have never been inside Lambeau Field, much less being a thirty year season ticket holder.

13. Rodgers is a major bore. So smug and unlikable. Love to see that stupid look on his face when he’s begging the referees for penalties. No one can deny he’s a tremendous talent but those talents are leaving him with every game.

14. cheeseisfatening……..so classless. Can’t believe you go that low to joke about a death. Also can’t believe the people that police the comments posted here allow you and other packer fans to repeatedly post such incendiary and insensitive comments. It’s unthinkable that you can’t determine where to draw the line.

15. Great rivalry. Speaking of pre-snap calls, just once I would love it if Rodgers said something other than “3-19” — maybe Danica Patrick’s old stock car car number or something. . . .

16. lonniewarwick says:
    December 12, 2019 at 1:17 pm

@@@@@@@@@222

Don’t pay attention, whoever this new SN of hometown, freefromwhatyouare just needs attention. But I am surprised that the moderator on duty, obviously a packer fan would let this “body bag” comment go through.

17. Viking Fan Blames Officials…..Everybody Drink says:
    December 12, 2019 at 1:00 pm
    cheeseisfattening says:
    December 12, 2019 at 12:41 pm
    Urlacher sounded exactly like Rodgers after Barr broke Rodgers’ collarbone
    ———-
    Unforfutnately, Urlacher probably sounded just like Korey Stringer’s widow, when the Vikings dropped him off after practice in a body bag.
    ———–
    it always brings a smile to my face when i see i was able to push your buttons wafflestomp. that and forcing you to create yet another name. :*

18. lonniewarwick says:
    December 12, 2019 at 1:17 pm
    —–
    well i was joking about a tantrum. not sure if you are reading that correctly. i don’t stoop down to a packer fan level ever.

19. “I would love it if Rodgers said something other than “3-19”

==============

The cadence Aaron uses that you are referring to is actually GREEN-19. BLUE-58 is another cadence that Aaron has used a lot over the years.

I know you are the stalker as well, but I caught your post as I was scrolling by and decided to reply.

20. Aaron Rodgers is biggest baby, diva QB in the history of the NFL. I lose more and more respect for this guy everyday.