Lamar Jackson sets NFL single-season QB rushing record on first drive

Getty Images

Lamar Jackson needed 23 yards to break Michael Vick’s NFL record for rushing yards in a season for a quarterback. The Ravens quarterback ran for 27 on the team’s first possession.

Jackson now has 1,044 rushing yards, topping the 1,039 that Vick had in 2006.

The Ravens, though, probably would rather Jackson didn’t take the hit he took on the record-setting carry. Jackson lowered his shoulder as Neville Hewitt hit him.

The 5-yard gain to the Jets 6 set up Mark Ingram‘s touchdown run on the next play.

The Ravens lead 7-0 after the Jets went three-and-out following the opening kickoff.

Jackson, the MVP favorite, went 3-for-3 for 41 yards, completing a 19-yard pass to Hayden Hurst, 15-yard pass to Willie Snead and a 7-yard pass to Mark Andrews.

28 responses to “Lamar Jackson sets NFL single-season QB rushing record on first drive

1. Runnings too easy from the quarterback position everybody’s running down field covering receivers with there back to the line of scrimmage if I wanted to watch running quarterbacks I would watch college football

2. An amazing talent. I sincerely hope the Ravens continue to build the team around him so that he doesn’t have to run it as much unless he wants to, last thing anything should want is for him to turn into another RG3/Cam by being run into the dirt till he gets injured. Here’s to this hopefully being the first of many great years to come for him.

3. The cheaters fanboys are going to get triggered again with the Ravens smokin the jets tonight

4. Its good this happened against GASES JET’S ! Now maybe maznagement can actually watch this loss and see Gase needs to damn go ! Congrads to Jackson !!!

5. Yeah nice defensive holding on Robby their. Let’s go jets make this running back throw it. Hit him every play

6. LJ needs to get a fat contract after this season. He puts his body on the line with his style of play and isn’t gonna be the type of QB that will get several big contracts in his career.

Get paid now

7. Cool historic stuff is what I like. Nice work Lamar, I wonder if the Patriots regret passing on him and Nick Chubb for an average RB and a lineman with less than five NFL starts

8. Notorious P.I.G. says:
    December 12, 2019 at 9:47 pm
    —–
    Stop it. Every team passed on lamar. Nobody knew he was gonna ball out like this.

9. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    December 12, 2019 at 9:30 pm
    The Ravens run defense stayed home tonight

As a Jets fan you should be happy.

10. If I was a Ravens fan I would get my super bowl tickets as soon as possible. I can careless about Ravens football, but if they don’t win the bowl I’ll be shocked.

11. If Harbaugh leaves him in the game and he gets hurt he will be run out of Baltimore tomorrow
    No reason for Jackson to still be in the game

12. mackcarrington says:
    December 12, 2019 at 10:37 pm
    Jackson is killing it on the field, while Baker Mayfield has all the TV commercials.

———————-

Wait until the offseason, you’ll see him everywhere.

13. Jackson is a running back playing quarterback. The entire offense is built around that. The fact that he HAS to run the ball to win is a major problem. The Raven’s are literally one injury away from a disaster and riding that razor’s edge to the Super Bowl. I’m truly happy for them. That being said, I’d look for Defensive Coordinators around the league to learn to eliminate the threat during the next offseason. This ride may not happen again, because it won’t be as easy year two. Enjoy it Ravens and pray…pray like you’ve never prayed before that he doesn’t push himself too hard and get hurt.

14. If I was a Ravens fan I would get my super bowl tickets as soon as possible. I can careless about Ravens football, but if they don’t win the bowl I’ll be shocked.

——————————————–
    You know by saying you can careless, means that you care and there is a some amount of caring that could be less?

15. chastain00 says:
    December 12, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Michael Vick did it when a QB could still get blasted … just saying.
    ————
    you could easily argue that Vick had more talent than LJ, but what LJ is doing is translating into wins .. the only stat that matters. Nothing against Michael Vick, but his record as a QB is just over .500, maybe Harbaugh is not getting enough credit on how to build an offense around a QB with these skills.

16. bird2urmother says:
    December 12, 2019 at 9:53 pm
    Notorious P.I.G. says:
    December 12, 2019 at 9:47 pm
    —–

35 8 Rate This
    _________

Actually every team did know which is why they passed on him. Ravens didn’t pass on him because they had an established starter so they could take a flyer on a running back who sometimes could throw. Yes, he’s tearing up the league with his feet but one good hit and his career is done because the play calling hides his below average passing by having him rarely do it (currently averages 7 passes a quarter). This is why you have RG3 as a player/coach on the Ravens since he lived it and can help Jackson better than anyone.

Remember, last QB to set an NFL single season rushing record was Johnny Manziel. Him and RG3 set running QB’s back quite a bit the way their NFL careers turned out.

17. mrfrostyj says:

“Actually every team did know which is why they passed on him. Ravens didn’t pass on him because they had an established starter so they could take a flyer on a running back who sometimes could throw. Yes, he’s tearing up the league with his feet but one good hit and his career is done because the play calling hides his below average passing by having him rarely do it (currently averages 7 passes a quarter).”

————

You realize he leads the league in passing TDs by a significant margin right? Why does he have to pass so much? The running game (him, Ingram, Edwards, Hill) are averaging 5.5 yards per carry which pretty much means they don’t see an obvious passing down that often. Plus when you can run you control the clock. For the most part they have been playing with the lead and sometimes a significant lead. You don’t pass when you have the lead. You run the clock and with 5.5 ypc they run down A LOT of clock.