Tom Brady makes it clear he wants to keep playing

Getty Images

Give Tom Brady credit, he’s consistent.

The Patriots quarterback has maintained that he wanted to play until he’s 45, and just because he’s going to be a 42-year-old free agent in March, he’s not moving away from that stance.

In his weekly interview on Westwood One with Jim Gray, Brady made it clear retirement wasn’t on his mind.

“I think I’ve said for a long time, my tune hasn’t changed. I hope to continue playing,” Brady said. “I’ve had long-term goals, I’ve had short-term goals and again, football is a contact sport. So you never know when your last game is going to be and you count your blessings every time you walk off the field healthy.”

This season certainly hasn’t been the smoothest for Brady, with a lack of offensive firepower around him, stats that have been merely good but not great, and not being invited to the Pro Bowl for the first time since 2008.

But he’s still stacking up AFC East titles, and has them in a position to win the second seed in the AFC playoffs if they beat Miami this week.

61 responses to “Tom Brady makes it clear he wants to keep playing

1. 22 touchdowns 7 interceptions 3900 passing yards is Good considering there isnt a tight end 2 rookie wide receivers offense line banged up and struggling run game all season.I want to see how he plays when he has everything at his disposal. My opinion I think he can play at a high level one more year then his body will start breaking down but if it’s a goal of his I personally wouldn’t be betting against him.In regards of him playing for the Patriots or going to another team that’s a mystery and no one will know until he makes an announcement

2. Any other QB would have been benched (before he even made it to the Buffalo game), if they played like Brady this year.
    People make all the excuses in the world for Brady. It’s the blocking, no-name receivers, the running game. But the minute they win the game, Brady gets all the credit.
    Dude is in serious denial. Have you seen the play of the top QBs this year? TB12 is nowhere close. He is just a cog in the wheel. Leave while your great legacy is still in tact.

3. Sounds like he wants 9-10 Lombardi’s by the time he retires….& my guess all as a Patriot…. WORKS FOR ME!!!
    Merry Christmas EVERYONE!!!

4. NE is 3rd in the league right now in fewest team fumbles per game. Huh. I was told NE doesn’t fumble only because they deflate footballs. 🤔

5. Brady will be back, hopefully with the Patriots. They are a good fit for each other. They finally have a defense that is top notch and will continue to be so. Excellent special teams. Edelman, Harry, Sanu and Meyers are coming back. Gunner is in the Edelman mold. Michel, White and Burkhead will be aided by Develin. Stidman is a reasonable backup but no more as of now. Belichick and McDaniel will be back.

They need to bolster the offensive line and the tight end positions. Another receiver for depth would help, especially someone who can take the top off the defense. Why would he want to start anew elsewhere and why would the Patriots want to replace him when a down year has them winning the division and likely a first round bye.

I don’t know what to make of his selling his house, next to Kraft. It’s an hour commute to Foxboro so it was never ideal.

6. Being named to the Top 100, and really being #1 all-time, has to have him wanting to come back, albeit on his terms. I suspect he thought getting Antonio Brown was like getting Moss but he must realize that blew up due to Brown, not the Patriots.

He appreciates overcoming adversity and the Patriots have done that this year.

7. And when he collects his annual Super Bowl trophy what will the Max Kellerman’s of the world say? For 6 years he’s been saying Brady’s done. 3 trophies later at some point Max you’ll be right.

8. Brady and Belichick treat the entire season like the preaseason, with high stake, to get better and to work out the kinks and hopefully the process would lead them to good result and that’s the playoff. Once they’re in postseason they can blow their wad. And you know what, half of the time they ended up in the Super Bowl. Why quit when he’s in the playoff year after year, provided he still has the desire to play?

9. If the Patriots offense really found something on Saturday that works and it’s not a one-off, the rest of the AFC should start paying attention to the defending champs.

10. AB would have made this year look a whole lot better if he was a different person off the field.

11. MortimerInMiami says:
    December 24, 2019 at 8:26 am
    Dolphins 20
    Patriots 17
    ——
    Belichick says that the Dolphins game will be treated as a playoff game. Excellent idea.

12. I’m a Bills fan, but also a football fan – I respect what he’s doing. It’s unprecedented.

But it’s really impossible for me to appreciate it now, while it’s happening. He’s like Jordan to me. I’m a Knicks fan in b-ball, and I couldn’t stand Jordan while he was playing. Now, I take the kids to the HOF and say excitedly, “I saw the flu game!” Total admiration for him, but only in hindsight. I really “missed” his greatness while it was happening.

Same w/ Brady. Every time I see a headline like this, I just sigh, and say “when is this gonna end?” But I’ll appreciate it years from now. If he ever leaves.

13. Is he an MVP anymore? No. He’s 42 f-ing years old and he is still better than half the QB’s in the league. Put him on the Chargers and they go to the conference championship and/or the Super Bowl. Put him on Cleveland and they would be right there at the end.

His peers (other players on other teams) speak of him as god-like. He could take the Chargers, Browns, Steelers, Rams, ESPECIALLY THE VIKINGS, probably the Bears and win – huge

14. I get a kick out of guys like Kellerman and Adam Schein who EVERY YEAR assure us whoever the Pats are playing is the team who will win. Schein picked the Chargers, Chiefs and Rams last year over the Pats. Then he picked the Bills over the Pats in the last game. This guy’s “lock of the night” are more often than not UNlocked. Every time I hear he’s picked against the Pats again I use his patented phrase… “Oh Goodddddddd!” since it always insures a Pats win. Sometimes I wonder how these so-called experts keep their jobs.

15. nite2al says:
    December 24, 2019 at 7:03 am
    ——————–

You clearly haven’t watched Pats games. He’s not been the problem. Sure, he’s had some passes sail on him…but for the most part, he still has the zip and touch on his passes.

16. Brandy’s play is pretty much like Manning’s in his final year.
    ——-
    No it isn’t.

Manning couldn’t throw. Brady has plenty of zip in that arm.

17. billsrthefuture says:
    December 24, 2019 at 9:26 am

——————–

Well said. I hated Jordan. Still kinda do, but I know he’s the greatest to suit up on a BBall court.

I hope the rest of us Pats fans truly appreciate this mans greatness. His fire and rive to be the greatest. It’s just been one helluva ride! I know it’s coming to an end soon. Just hope we can set it up so that the drop off isn’t that bad.

18. “Dolphins 20
    Patriots 17”

Sorry you had your miracle game last season Mort. Fins fans were so happy thinking knocking the Pats out of the top seed was the end to their season. Didn’t work out very well did it?

19. 22 touchdowns 7 interceptions 3900 passing yards

——-
    To put that in perspective:

Manning’s MVP season in 08: 4002 yards 27 TD 12 INT

20. The longer he keeps playing the longer he can keep covering up the never ending scandals that propelled this team to six championships. You can bet that when he retires, the NFL is going to be turned up on its head and those Lombardis will be coming back to the front office along with hundreds of ill gotten rings.

21. Have to love the haters coming out of the woodwork the last couple of weeks. Of course there are the same obsessed Pats haters that change their tune every week as to why the Pats are 12-3 this year. Never change guys. Just knowing the Pats being successful dictates a good chunk of your life is the gift that keep giving. Happy Holidays!

22. Billsarethefuture has a true football fan’s view of a star player on an opposing team. It’s hard not to diminish their greatness while they are beating your team but you know the truth and will be able to admit it post retirement. We had our lean years in Boston sports but there was always at least one team and one star to get us over the hump: Russell, Williams, Yaz, Orr, Hannah/Gray, Bird, Pedro, Ortiz, The Big Three, Brady, Chara.

I have been enjoying Boston sports for 7 decades and have to admit some of my favorite teams fell short and favorite players were not big stars: Earl Wilson, Rick Smith, Carl Garrett, Mack Herron, Dave Cowens, Russ Francis, Tiny Archibald, Fred Lynn, Bob Gladieux.

Win or lose we need to respect guys who give it their best.

23. Brandy’s play is pretty much like Manning’s in his final year. But Manninng had respect for his team and the game not to be forced out.
    —————

None of that is remotely true- I get hating the Pats/Brady, but making stuff up loses the arguement every time.

Manning had like 10 touchdowns and 15 interceptions his last year. Every pass seemed to flutter. Manning was forced out- he wanted to play out the last year of his contract. No way Elway was going to let that happen, and at the very least Manning would have had to take a pay cut- which Mannings just don’t do (which I don’t blame him) in hindsight Elway probably should have considered bringing him back for that last year.

Personally, I think Brady has earned the right to finish out his career with the Pats however he wants- I be disappointed in the team if they don’t let him. Either way it’s going to be tough next year, they have no real offensive talent, and most of their key defensive players will be free agents or thinking about retirement. Stidham has a big arm, but if they thought he was Brady’s replacement they wouldn’t have waited until the 4th round to draft him.

24. The ultimate most clutch player of all time in any sport. Lot’s of flashy new kids on the block now as usual. They’re the future but we’ll never see leadership and pure will and guts like brady again.

25. Brandy’s play is pretty much like Manning’s in his final year. But Manninng had respect for his team and the game not to be forced out
    ——————————-

26. “ibillwt says:
    December 24, 2019 at 11:24 am
    ——————————-
    like when he threw them under the bus every time he choked in the playoffs, ad let’s face it, he choked like no one else ever has.”

That’s a tired old story. For starters, he did throw his teammates under the bus – ONCE, not every time, w/ the “protection problems” line. That was when he was very young, and he probably regretted it, because people cite it all of the time.

Second, I have to take some exception to anyone who calls Manning a choker. It’s a team game, and he didn’t have the benefit of having the GOAT coach, or even decent coaching after Dungy, or a good organization that new how to build a contender. He was one of the league leaders in 4th quarter comebacks, and with the weight of his own history bearing down on him down 21-3 in the AFCCG, against his greatest demon, he led one of the best playoff comebacks of all time.

He’ll always be 2nd to Brady, but Pats fans shouldn’t want to diminish his accomplishments. It elevates Brady historically to have rivals who were great, and Manning was, no matter how you slice it.

27. Oh well… even at his worst he can still drag the team trying to be on top and he’s old. He even put his aching body on the line scrambling and blocking when we can reasonably expect him to get out of the way not to be hurt. And I whine that the Oline is not protecting him. What does he do? Scrambling and even blocking courting troubles. Now we’ll see these young and big QBs try to be blockers too. He’s started a trend.

28. Haha,I really struck a nerve!.
    Brady has pretty much sucked this year, even his stats can support any argument for him.
    That’s why you delusional fans are not posting any of his numbers like previous years. If you removed the uniform and you didn’t it was Brady, all of you would say that QB is putrid!
    But I get it, you guys are like the parents who have bad kids at school, but can’t admit their wrongdoings.
    Seeing ghosts, countless bad throws, intentional groundings that never get called, interceptions, QBRs less than 30, blaming receivers for not being faster and quicker, no pro bowl, short field drives to bail him out and trick plays abound because he is so ineffective. Tell me I’m lying.
    Please beat the Chiefs, so you can come to Baltimore and get spanked again!

29. It’s been a great run, obviously, but as a Pats fan regardless of how this season ends I wouldn’t mind seeing them transition to Stidham or someone else.

If it is Stidham on a rookie deal, they’d have plenty of money to get some better WRs / TEs to help the offense.

And if Brady does somehow win #7 this year, I think he retires regardless of this “play til I’m 45” talk.

30. Brady has had a terrific year. He’s not the problem. He throws a lot of balls away because he won’t force the ball to WRs that don”t know where they are supposed to be. Pats are also 4th in the league in drops. Last week against a good Bills D was encouraging. Pats are still a threat. Whether haters like it or not.

31. nite2al says:
    December 24, 2019 at 12:33 pm
    Haha,I really struck a nerve!.
    ——————-

You struck a nerve? Why are you posting all over the Pats boards? Maybe its the Pats success that strikes a nerve with you. If it did not you would not post about them all the time. Have to love the delusional haters that need to elevate their own situation by bringing someone down. You are lying about Intentional Grounding by Brady. He leads the league with 4. So yes, you are lying.

32. MortimerInMiami says:
    December 24, 2019 at 8:26 am
    Dolphins 20
    Patriots 17
    ==========================================================================
    When I was younger the only Mortimer I knew of was a ventriloquist dummy in Hollywood.

Who knew that he moved to Miami ?

33. Fun facts

There have been 140 unnecessary roughness and 127 roughing the passer penalties in 2019.

Number of these calls which benefited Tom Brady: zero

Huh. You don’t say. I was told Brady gets all the roughing calls and the league is protecting him.🤔

34. There’s nothing better than hubris to bring down a giant and bring him to justice. When all is said and done, Tom Brady’s name will be synonymous with everything that is cheap and dishonest about professional sports.

35. carloswlassiter says:
    December 24, 2019 at 12:46 pm
    ———
    I think both Tom and Bill already know if he is coming back in 2020.

36. GoodellMustGo – since 2009 Brady has been recipient of 28 RTP calls which is 9th on the list yet he has played more games than any other QB in that timeframe with also the most pass attempts. He has been sacked 333 times over that time too. So why were there not more RTP calls if defenders cannot even breath on him? Just another made up stat by the mindless.

37. nite2al says:
    December 24, 2019 at 7:03 am
    Brandy’s play is pretty much like Manning’s in his final year. But Manninng had respect for his team and the game not to be forced out. Brady is going to have to be dragged out of this game, kicking and screaming, which will be pretty sad in the end. Mannings last year starts were Comp 59.8 2249 yards 9tds 17ints 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 nice try !

38. Current players are in such reverence about even being on the same field as the GOAT. NO D wants Brady with the ball in his hand at the end of a game with a chance to win. No HC. No team. PERIOD

39. I’ll never understand the guys who hangout on other teams’ threads and attack not only the team but all-time great players.

It’s even more pathetic if it is a fan of a team having a great season.

If sport doesn’t bring you respect and appreciation of the athletes, and pleasure, find another pasttime.

40. tigerlilac – I am happy there were not any chat boards when the Yankees were the best team in baseball 20 years ago. I never disliked the Yankees but was definitely jealous of their success. Then I matured and realized how great they were. It also helped to see the Sox come along and start winning. So maybe some of the haters need to root for a team that can take the crown away from the Pats. Until them expect nothing to change.

41. Mustpost, I had the pleasure of going to Fenway and sat six rows back from where Mariana Rivera was given a special night by the Red Sox. The fans gave him a long standing ovation. Great night.

I also was at the famous Celtics Sixers game where the Sixers (Julius Erving, et al) blew us out in a game seven at the old Garden and the fans chanted beat LA. One of the classiest moves I have seen in sport.

42. the reason tom has alow completion percentage is bc hes refusing to take chances and if its not there hes throwing it away so the d can do their thing. its called complementary football.

43. also, its a common theme in this thread so i just gotta throw this in. manning hung it up when he did not bc he knew he was done but bc he wanted the hgh thing to go away.