Brian Flores not expecting any gifts from his old boss

Getty Images

By any honest accounting, the Dolphins have probably overachieved this year.

But a 4-11 record and his own background in New England gives coach Brian Flores the awareness to know that it’s not enough, and that his old boss, the football Scrooge himself, won’t have any changes of heart by the time Sunday’s season finale rolls around.

“Look, I was with Bill for 15 years. I know him very well. He knows me very well. At the end of the day, I have a lot of respect for him. I learned a lot from him,” Flores said, via Nick Goss of NBCSportsBoston.com. “I’m fortunate to have worked with that organization for a long time. But I know this about him: He’s going to try to beat the heck out of us. And he knows this about me: We’re going to do the same. That’s why I was in the [Patriots] building. I’m competitive by nature. I think that’s something I tried to impart on the players that I was around. So, I know they’re competitive. I love those guys, they love me, and I know that. So, from [Devin] McCourty, to [Patrick] Chung, to [Kyle] Van Noy, to [Elandon] Roberts to [Dont’a] Hightower — I built relationships with these guys that go far beyond football. I know that.

“But on Sunday, we’re going to be competing against each other and nobody’s going to care about any of that stuff. I think that’s the same with Bill, and that coaching staff and all the guys there — Josh McDaniels, Joe Judge. The friendships go far beyond football. I know that, and I think Bill knows that. But at 1 o’clock on Sunday, they’re going to be on the other side, and we’re competing, and we’ll be friends after those three to four hours.”

The Patriots still have playoff seeding to play for. The Dolphins only draft position. But as Flores tries to get his team to the level of his old one, those lessons learned should have value.

31 responses to “Brian Flores not expecting any gifts from his old boss

1. He should be fired by his new boss. Get rid of all their young talent and then decide you want to win. Zero direction. Feel sorry for Dolphin fans. Ross is an idiot for hiring from New England.

2. “I was with Bill for 15 years.”

“I know him very well.”

“I have a lot of respect for him.”

“I love those guys.”

Funny, after 15 years there is only love and respect. No comments about Bill being a cheater and how he couldn’t wait to leave.

3. Belichick addressed the team after the Buffalo game and said they’re treating Miami like a playoff game. They really need the bye week, but could lose it to KC if not careful. Former coaches have given BB trouble.

Agreed tl. In 20 years, no former player or coach has ever said anything about cheating. What an incredible coincidence.

4. People can complain about the Dolphins going 50-50 on tanking and competing this year, but the truth of the matter is they needed far more than the number one pick.

Joe Burrow will thrive in Cincinnati and make them immediately competitive in Zac Taylor’s system. That is not who Brian Flores is though, so no matter where they end up on the draft board, they are not one player away. He was not going to fix the problems in 2020 for the Dolphins, and may have been wasted had he ended up there.

That’s why there is nothing wrong with Miami winning some games this year. It is going to take a couple of drafts to gather the talent they need to battle Buffalo and New England for the division moving forward.

5. patriotmaleorgy says:
    December 25, 2019 at 8:24 am

***************

You know Flores is not the Dolphins GM, right?

6. He should be fired by his new boss. Get rid of all their young talent and then decide you want to win.

———————————————————————————————-
    Do you really believe he is actually the one getting rid of players?

7. patriotmaleorgy says:
    December 25, 2019 at 8:24 am

The entire patriots run with Brady and Belichick is completely fake and fraudulant. Wipe it clean.

8. The best way for Scrooge to “beat the heck out of the Dolphins” would be to let them have yet another win.

9. patriotmaleorgy says:
    December 25, 2019 at 8:24 am

If I were you, I’d start getting ready to play a juggernaut because that’s what Flores is building. STAY TUNED!!!!

10. #1 draft pick can be bought, if the Dolphins feel Joe Burrows is their guy. 1 pick doesn’t right the ship. I’d be happy with Taylor from Wisconsin and a solid backup to Fitz and stack the OL and D

11. Miami needs an O line before a QB, however if the can get THE QB they really want, then do it.Bill

12. kevinlawrencecantor says:
    December 25, 2019 at 9:30 am

——————-

13. I’m eternally grateful to Flores for helping mold the New England defense into what they are now. A lot of people didn’t like the last Super Bowl. I loved it.

14. MortimerInMiami says:
    December 25, 2019 at 11:17 am
    Dolphins 20
    Patriots 17
    You all know its coming!

——————————-

If the game was in Miami, I would say maybe…but it ain’t happening at the Razor!

15. markhiggs says:
    December 25, 2019 at 10:02 am

———————————————————————————————————————-
    The only thing more satisfying than the Patriots 20 year run is the fact that it has also driven guys like you absolutely crazy.

16. Brian paid his dues in NE for 15 years. For a couple of years it was clear he was destined to leave to become a HC. I’m sorry it was to Miami, in the division because in a few years he’s going to be a real threat to the Pats.

The job he’s done with that depleted roster is worthy of consideration as coach of the year. 4 wins with THAT roster and all the disruptions is truly amazing. Lets not forget Bill only won 5 games his first year in NE.

The Phins have a BOAT load of quality draft picks over the next 3 seasons. If they choose well they will they will be playoff contenders sooner rather than later. Ross hasn’t done much right with his team, but he nailed this choice.

17. Flores has done well with the very limited talent in Miami. My guess is that the Dolphins and the Bills are both moving toward more professional, disciplined teams. The Bills are competitive now and Dolphins will be in a year or two.

18. 3 Rate This
    remizak says:
    December 25, 2019 at 9:53 am
    patriotmaleorgy says:
    December 25, 2019 at 8:24 am

***************

You know Flores is not the Dolphins GM, right
    ———————————
    I do realize everyone has to work together in order to achieve success. So if they are not working together then it just shows another level of dysfunction in the organization. So I would assume Flores has some input on who stays and who goes.

19. Agree, and “tanking” is poisonous for team culture. What player will risk getting injured by playing hard on a tanking team. Curious if anyone can point out an NFL team that intentionally tanks that turns into a competitive franchise?

——————-

The Colts “sucked for Luck” and they have a “we played in the AFC championship” banner to prove it. So there’s that…

20. r302112 says:
    December 25, 2019 at 12:37 pm
    I hate the fact that Ross allowed the stink of NE anywhere near this team!
    ——————————–
    And when they become a playoff team I will deny ever saying that.

21. Flores should have left Rosen in. Wins are nice but his job is to do what’s best for the team. What was best for Miami this year was to test Rosen and gauge his value. Fitzpatrick was a known value who won’t be there when the teams ready to compete. Playing Fitzpatrick may drop us to the 5th pick and having to trade up for a QB. Flores May have played himself out of a job in 3 years if he doesn’t get a QB.

22. “In 20 years, no former player or coach has ever said anything about cheating” – Eric Mangini did.

23. Flores needs to change the team’s signals pronto. NE has already been caught doing surveillance on the Bengals sidelines. Who knows how many spies they had in Miami? Until this cheating stops, teams need to be on the defensive and hopefully someone will gather enough evidence to put Belicheat and his toadies away. That would be the biggest Christmas gift that fair minded NFL fans could ever hope for.

24. patriotmaleorgy says:
    December 25, 2019 at 8:24 am

—————————————————————————————–

What all of you NEW football fans and band waggoners don’t know or have forgotten over the years is that BB did the SAME thing in New England his first year that Flores and Grier did. How did that turn out?