Antonio Brown: Workout was a “publicity stunt” for the Saints

Getty Images

Antonio Brown has gotten so good at burning bridges he’s now burning bridges that have yet to be even built.

In a video posted to social media shot while getting in some cardio, Brown addressed his recent workout with the Saints, in a not-so-flattering way for the Saints.

“I know I got a really crusty tone lately,” Brown says. “But really I’m at peace. I just don’t like the lack of respect in the world. You know, everyone has deadlines. I guess the NFL don’t have a deadline for me, so. I appreciate Sean Payton and them guys for supporting me and bringing me out to work out. But I think it was a publicity stunt for them. Sean Payton know[s] the feeling of being left behind, not being able to interact with his team. I don’t have a team. But it is what it is. We don’t seek comfort. We don’t make excuses. I’m [going to] just keep committing to be the difference. ‘Cause I know I’m the difference.”

It was hardly a publicity stunt for the Saints. They’re looking at options to get better. Indeed, they reportedly told Brown not to bring an entourage to the workout, in order to reduce the surrounding publicity. He brought an entourage anyway.

Brown also made reference to Sean Payton’s suspension for all of the 2012 season for the bounty scandal. Brown has landed in a similar spot, missing almost all of 2019 while the NFL drags its feet with an investigation under the Personal Conduct Policy. If anything, Payton and Brown are kindred spirits; that makes Payton more likely to give Brown a real chance, not use him to make some sort of statement unrelated to winning football games.

Payton may now feel differently about that one, and rightfully so. Once again, Brown has proven to be his own worst enemy — thanks to his inability to put down his phone.

152 responses to “Antonio Brown: Workout was a “publicity stunt” for the Saints

1. Joining the Saints and playing opposite of Thomas would have been a nightmare for Amy team to handle. Thank you Antonio for being you and making sure that never happens. Brown needs a new PR guy.

2. Well,if the Saints were even considering him for the future (after his whole mess is settled), they probably aren’t anymore. This is who Antonio Brown is…not a guy you want in your locker room.

3. NFL teams, particularly coaches, don’t like distractions. Players don’t like having to answer tons of non football related questions about one of their teammates. To have any chance, AB needs to be quiet, put his head down, and simply work. He’s proven that he’s incapable of that.

4. The report I saw featuring one of the talking heads on a national sports program (forget who and what show) is that the Saints requested that AB show up for the work out alone and avoid social media.

What happened is AB showed up with an entourage and immediately posted everything all over his social media. The Saints quickly realized that no matter what skills he brings to the football field are vastly outweighed by the BS he brings to the locker room.

5. If this is what Tomlin had to deal with during Brown’s stint with the Steelers, he deserves coach of the decade.

6. The other 28 execs in the league “wow he makes a really good point! We should bring him in and give this guy some respect”

7. It’s fun to go to the circus but no one wants to live there.
    AB is the biggest circus the NFL has seen in years. Don’t see how the saints could ever bring AB back. Keep scorching the earth. AB is good at that. XFL and $55K a year is better than nothing.

8. Mike Tomlin is getting more and more of my respect as a leader every time a story about this clown comes out. How the hell did he keeps this dude under wraps?

9. It wasn’t no entourage, just his crew.
    He was keepin it on the low down cuz he don’t want no publicity stunt.

10. seahawks80 says:
    December 31, 2019 at 12:01 pm
    Lol, some people never learn.

Sean Peyton: “Don’t bring 30 ppl with you. No entourage. Lets keep this simple.”

Antonio Brown: “These 20 guys are not my entourage. These are my people. Hey you said not to bring 30 so I left my pedicurist at home. He was very disappointed.”

11. Hopefully the other 27 teams will realize he isn’t worth the problems associated with bringing AB in for a workout much less a contract.

12. If I was Rosenhaus I would drop this dude as a client. DR has plenty of money & the additional money he would make off this dude for the rest of his career (if he ever even gets another job) cannot be worth the hassle of having to deal with him & all his crap. He’s spending time managing this sh**show that could be better spent handling other, less insane, clients.

13. He would have been likely to play my Green Bay Packers the weekend after next for the right to play in the NFC championship game. Thanks AB!!!!!

14. Right. The Saints can’t sell tickets so they held a wide receiver tryout to drum up local interest in the team. And now all of sudden the Saints are popular in New Orleans. Look for the Mayor of Baton Rogue to invite AB to town in an attempt to spark interest in LSU.

15. Tomlin didnt have to deal with this version of AB for years. This all started at the end of last season, when he lost the team mvp to juju. I’m sure it ate at him all season as he lost targets to him, then he finally lost it when that happened. its been all down hill for him since that moment. The only major red flag I remember before that situation was the locker room, facebook live situation during the playoffs. he and his ego were fine when he was catching 10+ balls a game.

16. Nevertheless, someone will be intrigued by next season, choose to ignore the obvious, and see about singing him. Watch.

17. I feel like the next stop is AB trying to put himself in the same category as Kaep, which he is not close to, in terms of not being allowed to play. Just in his words you can tell that he wants people to feel sorry for him because he is being “kept out”. Reality is, as talented as he is, the baggage and just overall selfishness that comes with his ego is not worth it to teams at this point who are getting ready to go into the playoffs. If everyone just unfollowed him on social media and outlets stopped covering his tweets and ridiculousness, he would flip his attitude extremely quick I feel because that is what feeds him and ultimately keeps him from being the best football player on and off the field he can be.

18. happilymidwestern says:
    December 31, 2019 at 12:01 pm
    Dude…just go away…please
    —————–
    And take Sean Payton with you please.

19. I wonder if AB might have borderline personality disorder. Remember Brandon Marshall getting diagnosed with BPD and working hard to help himself function better and build healthy relationships? AB’s behavior seems more extreme, but it could be BPD. Maybe Marshall should reach out to him. Although, if I remember correctly, Marshall only got help when he realized he was killing all of his relationships and he wanted to fix that. It doesn’t sound like AB has reached the point of wanting to fix anything.

20. Put AB with the Sainta along with Thomas and they both have over 100 receptions a year and over 1000 yardas. It’s all about who your QB is throwing to you.

21. This from the guy who arrived to training camp via a hot air balloon? And the guy who showed up to New Orleans with an entourage and film crew?

AB…the gift that just keeps giving

22. Yep, a legitimate Super Bowl contender needs publicity. I wish someone would do what Jim Burt and Chad Henning did to Charles Haley when they had enough of his crap and just beat his ass. Hell, I think Burt beat up Haley twice.

23. dindab says:
    —-
    Did Tomlin keep AB’s antics under wraps, or did he create the current AB?

24. He is like our President. He has great potential to do so well, but he just keeps poking everybody on his Twitter account in such a manner that drives so many crazy. Both of them should stop using social media.

25. Funny, him and the deranged orange man in Washington both prove how stupid they are due to their lack of common sense using their phone…..

26. Hmmm, imagine AB talking about a lack of respect in the world. Was he referring to himself not giving enough respect to those women he’s interacted with, the teams he never showed up for? Just wondering.

27. paul82461 says:
    December 31, 2019 at 12:47 pm
    4 teams down, 28 to go.
    ——————————
    So Steelers, Raiders, Pats, Saints. Didn’t he also burn on Buffalo back before the Steelers were trying to trade him?

28. We are all witnessing something for the first time ever.

We are watching somebody who is at the top of the NFL at his position, totally destroying his own career by way of social media.

what GM in their right mind would ever give this guy a chance now? This dude turns every single situation into him being the victim when HE is the one sabotaging himself.

29. There’s something seriously wrong with this guy. He just might be done in the NFL, at least for any team serious about contending. He torpedoes every opportunity he gets and is just too unstable.

30. He can always defend his coveted Dancing with the stars Championship since he is really one of em’ now………A HAS BEEN!

31. Way to nail the interview, Antonio. You are going to die a pauper and alone at this rate. I wonder if he even paid his video crew? Judging by the rumors about him stiffing contractors, it sounds like that documentary movie is going to be edited for free.

32. superglider says:
    December 31, 2019 at 1:08 pm
    “Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can’t do it.”
    —————————————-

Great quote by Singletary, but unfortunately, Singletary couldn’t win with anyone.

33. Antonio Brown: I hate when people pull publicity stunts! Has anyone seen his music video…HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

34. It’s sad, until around a year ago, there may have been small stories and whispers of Browns various antics and tomfoolery but outside of that he was just known to me as the best PPR wr1 in fantasy of the decade. This is honestly just really tragic at this point cause every day he does something new to self sabotage himself, it’s a public case study on it. We can all laugh at how pathetic some of this behavior is but the guy needs some stone cold serious psychological help.

35. The Saints gave him a legit workout…then the NFL told them that AB would be “subject to immediate suspension” once he signed. That doesn’t sound like the Saints had an issue with AB…more likely Goodell.

36. hawkwind8 says:
    December 31, 2019 at 1:40 pm
    Many may disagree, but I see a series of similarities between Mr. Brown and Mr. Kaepernick.
    ——————————————————
    Kaepernick had been demoted before his petulant kneeling (later amended to be a social protest, thereby beginning his career as a SJW). Brown was still one of the league’s best wide receivers when he started his Downfall Tour at the end of 2018 with the Steelers, continuing on with the Raiduhs and Patriots. He would have started for any of his teams had he not continued to be himself on social media.

Add his refusal to be dealt to Buffalo and this bridge-burning with New Orleans, and that’s 5 down, 27 to go. Personally, I’d love for him to sign with Goodell’s favorite team, the Giants. NYC, ESPN’s endless promotion of flashy players from certain teams (including the Giants), and Goodell, what a combo.

37. mazblast says:
    December 31, 2019 at 2:09 pm

===============================
    C’mon man. For the 101st time, Kap’s protest began during the preseason when he sat on the bench during the anthem. There’s actual video of it taking place. A military vet suggested that he kneel instead. Take your fact bending lunacy somewhere else.

38. Hes lost every team hes been associated with,every endorsement..and it hasn’t taught him anything…

39. Antonio Brown was relatively “normal” until he took a huge hit to the head from Burfict. His acting up started not long after that hit and has been getting worse by the day.

Brown may not have full-blown CTE, but he does remind me of pro boxers that become “punch drunk”.

Another problem that Brown has is similar to Michael Jackson and other celebrities. Brown is not surrounded by friends that care about his well-being. He is surrounded by people that want the fame and money associated by hanging around this guy. ONce Brown spirals into anonymity, they will all go away.

40. The Saints worked out 6 wrs, Brown was one. He was told not to bring his entourage, he brought his entourage. The media changed from teams are stupid not to sign him to same old Brown. Nice flip flop.

41. As a Saints fan, I really thought he would make a good addition to our team. Now, it’s clear he would be a distraction. He says we were trying to do a publicity stunt? Last time I checked, he’s the one who brought his posse and all the cameras. Also, considering, the kind of season our team has had, we don’t need to create any kind of publicity stunt. AB clearly isn’t interested in football anymore. He needs to just go away.

42. Now if that isn’t the pot calling the kettle black I don’t know what is.
    This guy just needs to grow up.
    If the NFL just says what they are going to do as far as suspending him or not then teams can make a choice.
    I definitely hope Miami does not attempt to sign him.. EVER

43. And yet if the Patriots had kept him, they would be somewhere between 2nd seed (13-3) and an undefeated 16-0.

I’m sure the Patriots thought “how can we lool ourselves in the mirror and have any self-respect if we didn’t release him?” to which I reply “depends what kind of self-respect you’re looking for.”

44. It’s obvious, more than ever, that all AB wants to do is make internet content. He seems to enjoy making highly produced videos, and will run this NFL thing into the ground so long as he can post comments and make videos about it. And hey, good for him. He’s gonna make a lot less money being a Youtuber, and once the NFL starts ignoring him, it’s gonna be a lot harder to generate clickbait without it. That seems to be what he likes, though, and I hope it works out for him. Seriously.

45. Wouldn’t Brown going to the Browns be a fitting ending for AB’s career?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE FOOTBALL GODS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!

46. What a complete and total dolt this guy is. The Saints specifically told him not to bring his entourage but he did anyway. They then had to tell him to leave them.

If anyone made this a publicity stunt it was AB. He continues to show he doesn’t get it and he never will. It wouldn’t surprise me if Payton really wanted to sign him but when he can’t even follow the rules they set for the workout they probably saw the writing on the wall. I can’t wait to see who signs him after his suspension next year. Whatever team does–my bet it will be the Seahags–they should make their appearance on Hard Knocks mandatory and have special camera crews allowed to film the meltdown so we can all enjoy it.

47. If he was the real deal again, if his skills hadn’t diminished too much, and if he could clear the Goodell hurdle, he makes the Saints already pretty potent offense much more potent. Lots of boxes to check and I doubt he checked any of them. Still, it didn’t hurt the Saints to work him out and talk to him. He can continue on his Hall-of-Shame tour.

48. Why would the Saints need publicity?
    They are in the playoffs.
    People are talking about them.

Brown, on the other hand, will fade away if he stops interjecting himself into the news.
    At least T.O. was much older before he painted himself into a corner.

49. I predicted Brown would slam the Saints after this. Well, hand me the Golden Trophy, because he did just what I said. Of course, I didn’t know what anyone else didn’t know — we all know Brown’s elevator doesn’t go to the top.

50. Explain to me what specific publicity the Saints benefited from for having Brown in?

Does Brown understand what publicity is and how it works?

51. I don’t know why you keep saying the NFL is dragging their feet on this. AB is not an NFL employee so they don’t have any jurisdiction to investigate him or hand down any punishment.

52. jeremy2020 says:
    December 31, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Am I the only one who hopes he ends up on the Browns?
    _____________________________________________________________

From your lips to God’s ears… please, please, please make it happen!!!!

53. And everytime AB tweets, the fanboys go crazy just as he knew they would commenting on every word he makes, every breath he takes. Stop being his tool. You are being played.

54. Brown will continue to suffer with diarrhea of the mouth until his money runs out, then he will say “I was only joking.”

55. We know what’s wrong with Brown. It’s all too obvious. But what is with Drew Rosenhaus? Either get control of your client or drop him.

First, Brown attacks the initial accuser publicly. Second, he attacks the second accuser. Third, he attacks Kraft. Now he attacks Payton. He showed up with an entourage? Did he bring his entourage to Brady’s guest house? And that’s not even including all the Steelers and Raiders drama.

56. Wasn’t he the one who showed up with a camera crew? Someone get this guy some help. Such a talented player who has ruined his career because he is an unstable moron.

57. tigerlilac says:
    December 31, 2019 at 5:40 pm

—————————————————–

Rosenhaus is an idiot though. Remember this was the guy who was Terrell Owens’ agent. That applauded T.O. pulling this same type of crap on his teams. His drive way press conference work out.

58. Newsflash, Antonio, you earn respect through your actions, not just expect it because you can play a sport. Can you imagine this clown on the dumpster fire that was the Steelers offense this year? He would have been causing them even more headaches than they already had. I don’t care what comes out of his mouth about him being a team player, he never has been one, and never will be one.

59. TheGuru says:
    December 31, 2019 at 2:21 pm
    mazblast says:
    December 31, 2019 at 2:09 pm

===============================
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No facts were bent. You are both right. First they tried to trade him. Then he scared off Elway and any hope of a trade fell through. Then he was injured. Then he was demoted and finally his SJW career took off with a helpful media. The HC was vocally unsure if Kaepernick would be the starter 3 weeks before the opener. That’s when he sat. He was interviewed by a reporter on the sideline and stammered badly when asked. He never did answer and the reporter moved on. The next week he sat again and it was noticed by more people since he was in uniform unlike the previous week. He was asked again and he came up with the oppression reason (not given the week prior). The controversy started and his story evolved to include cops and then Castro.He did speak to some misguided ex-military guy that told him kneeling would look less disrespectful. The lunacy is with those who continue to defend his actions and pretend it was really about a social issue initially. He was mad about playing second fiddle, realized that looked bad for him and made up a reason that would make him look good to SJWs. That is what happened. All that drama was self induced and so is all the drama with Brown.

60. I am Mr. Frozen Ottoman! I am the God of all I survey! You puny lesser beings are just pests to me! This type of behavior is what
    Lewis Black would call De-LOOO-sional!

61. I hope that big Ben would respond back with one of his comment to AB and tell him go away You hot head.

62. What a world class idiot. For the love of god stop talking to your cell phone and broadcasting to the world. shut up and you maybe… one day will play the game again

63. It’s going to be OK, you guys. His agent will write a letter for him so he can post an “I’m sorry/I was misquoted” message to social media, next week.

64. The NFL is full of convicted Women beaters. Why is AB, the best WR of the last 5 years, having such a difficult time getting any answers? The man has NOT been charged by any law enforcement agency. He’s only been accused.

The NFL really likes to flex their monopoly when you don’t listen to your masters.

65. I wonder how long all the hangers on and moochers in his entourage will last when they find out he’s going broke

66. Dr. Kayfabe says:
    December 31, 2019 at 7:53 pm

I guess you haven’t witnessed his past behavior.

67. So many commenters are blaming mental illness. So everyone who acts childish, disrespects any type of authority, and constantly causes trouble is mentally ill? You’re giving him an easy “out”, and you do a disservice to those who really do struggle with mental illness. Some people are just insufferable and have way too high an opinion of themselves, period.

68. No matter that AB is self-destructive, there ought to be a limit to the time the NFL can take investigating an allegation. If it goes beyond the set time (3-4 months), the NFL should have to make a showing of the reasons why there is a delay. If the accuser and his or her witnesses and AB have been questioned, what’s the delay.

Otherwise, it can cost a player a season or more.

69. And there he sits and continues to burn bridges, while the Seahawks, who are short on receivers, just signed Lynch out of retirement to fill in their short backfield…..

Go Hawks!

70. jrterrier5 says:
    December 31, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Otherwise, it can cost a player a season or more.
    ——————-
    He does not have a “right” to play in the NFL. He can always get a job in another industry….

Go Hawks!