Kyle Rudolph thinks short week creates better focus for Vikings

Getty Images

Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer conceded that it is tough to play a game in New Orleans last Sunday and then play at the 49ers’ stadium in Santa Clara, California this Saturday, but said it’s “big boy football” and nothing for the team to complain about.

One veteran member of the team thinks the short week has some benefits when it comes to getting ready to play that kind of football. Tight end Kyle Rudolph thinks the quicker turnaround made it easier for the team to avoid getting too high off of last week’s win.

“Being on a short week forces you to mentally put it aside,” Rudolph said, via the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Rudolph said he also thinks that it helps that many members of the team were around two years ago when the Vikings got a last-second win over the Saints and then, per Rudolph, “laid an egg” in a blowout loss to Philadelphia. The goal is to avoid a similar outcome this week regardless of the circumstances.

30 responses to “Kyle Rudolph thinks short week creates better focus for Vikings

1. Nobody is going to know until the game starts. If the Vikings come out fast and take a lead, then look out. Teams with worse records have ridden that hot playoff play into the SB before. But again, who knows? The Vikings have also folded before with bad starts and the running game being shut down. I expect a very close game between these teams.

2. If they’re as focused as they were in New Orleans then San Francisco is going to have their hands full.

3. GB fans are pulling for MN for the 2nd week in a row, to do their dirty work for them so as to avoid a much better opponent than themselves. Nothing wrong with that, if roles were reversed I’d do it too.

4. If they need “focus” to get ready for the best team in the NFC, them they are in deep doodoo.

5. Let’s be very clear here. The Vikes are not on a roll and they beat a team that’s slightly above average where all 3 of their division foes were under .500 and by a collective 10 games. SF will wipe the field with Rudolf and the rest of his Barney Buddies and the fire Zim crowd will be worked into a frenzy yet again.

6. atthemurph says:
    January 9, 2020 at 9:04 am
    That vikings OL is going to get destroyed worse than what Green Bay did to them on Monday night.
    ******************
    It’s no secret that the 49’ers have a big, tough DL. This isn’t the first time that Kubiak’s run scheme has gone against a bigger, stronger DL. Kubiak should have plenty of experience to draw from and help Stefanski game plan so they can minimize this.

7. @murph: Not really a relevant comment. You do know Cook and Mattison are playing, and not the third and fourth string RB’s, right? Huge difference in game planning and calling.

8. Have to agree to a degree with KR. Vikings have come off two weeks of rest and were flat as pancakes in some big games. It happens all the time to all teams. That might not be the case Saturday with the 9r’s…but it does happen. Momentum is a good thing.
    SKOL!

9. Viking fans pretty confident. I see them say Niners have no playoff experience. Sherman(secondary), Sanders(receiving corp), Shanahan(coach), Staley(o-line), Ford(d-line), Coleman(running back), all with Superbowl experience besides Ford, he just has playoff experience. The only group without experience in playoffs is the linebacking group. Not to mention the last 4 weeks of the season were essentially all playoff games. Just sayin

10. Vikes are a veteran team, over half the roster has playoff experience under Zimmer. They’re playing with house money at this point too so I expect them to be loose and confident going to San Fran. All these people predicting a blowout were tooting the same horn last week and we all saw how that went. I don’t know if they’ll win but it’s going to be a competitive game.

11. I just laugh the “O Line gonna get destroyed” “blow Out”, you all sounding like Saints fans. Look at Cousins and Jimmy G’s stats they are are almost identical. This game will be a lot closer than you 9ers fans and general popular opinion thinks. These teams are a reflection of each other so similar. If the Vikings D can put pressure on a future HOFer in Brees they can do they same with Jimmy G. The key is Cook and Mattison, they get rolling and eat up clock gonna be hard for Jimmy G and Co to score when they are sitting on the bench.

12. gtodriver says:
    January 9, 2020 at 8:45 am
    This is the right attitude to take to California.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Too bad they didn’t have the correct attitude to win the division.

13. TribeOfOne says:
    January 9, 2020 at 9:58 am

———————————————

Its simple……..the pressure is all on the 9ers, Vikes were not even supposed to be here. Vikes can be loose while the 9ers will more than likely be a lil tight.

14. GB fans are pulling for MN for the 2nd week in a row, to do their dirty work for them so as to avoid a much better opponent than themselves. Nothing wrong with that, if roles were reversed I’d do it too.
    ——
    This one is, and I’m not ashamed to admit it. SF has had our number as of late and I’d much rather face a team we’ve beaten twice already, at home, then travel West again where we got beatdown a couple months ago. Plus, Rodgers has a weird thing with SF (where he wanted to be drafted) and has never played them well.

15. SF has a great D line but the tackles are faster, smaller, not the big tackles like Chicago has that seem to cause us issues. I expect some great blocking schemes to open holes inthe middle for Cook and Mattison. Once SF has to go 8 man boxes, look for Diggs to light things up. SKOL!

16. Did a 49er fan just say their last 5 weeks of their season were essentially playoff games?! That’s pretty funny. If it was true, they would have been knocked out of the playoffs twice, as they went 3-2 down the stretch.

I’m not taking any “playoff experience” to heart. Not sure any of that matters with these two teams. It’s just about matchups and how they are playing today. It’s even up.

17. Packer fans are pulling for the Vikings to win so they’ll have an easier opponent … the relevant question is, who are the Seahawks pulling for?

18. pkrlvr says

SF has had our number as of late and I’d much rather face a team we’ve beaten twice already, at home….
    ###

I remember the last time that happened very well.

In January of 2005, the Viking beat the Packers 31 – 17.

If we should me next weekend in Lambeau, I have no fear.

19. atthemurph says:
    January 9, 2020 at 9:04 am

@@@@@@@@@222

The packer defense could pin their ears back and do nothing but rush the QB. There was no running game with Cook and Mattison out. pack fan showing their football ignorance again.

20. “TribeOfOne says:
    January 9, 2020 at 9:58 am
    Viking fans pretty confident. I see them say Niners have no playoff experience. Sherman(secondary), Sanders(receiving corp), Shanahan(coach), Staley(o-line), Ford(d-line), Coleman(running back), all with Superbowl experience besides Ford, he just has playoff experience. The only group without experience in playoffs is the linebacking group. Not to mention the last 4 weeks of the season were essentially all playoff games. Just sayin”

There’s only 14 players on the entire 56 man roster that have been in a playoff game. It’s fair to say the Vikings have an advantage in the playoff experience department at least. You can’t really say those last 4 games were all playoff type games either. Nothing can replicate a win or go home type of atmosphere that the postseason brings with everything that’s on the line. There is more pressure on the 1 seed to perform at home than on the 6 seed to go in and win.

21. conormacleod says:

———————–

I do know this and I also know I saw what the Packers DLine did to MNs offensive line. I don’t care if you run OJ Simpson or Jim Brown behind that line, if they don’t have anywhere to run they don’t have anywhere to run.

And I think SFs DLine is better than Green Bay’s and their MLB is better too.

I see SF dominating that side of the ball, shutting down the run and pulverizing YouLikeThat. I see MN defense holding up for a while then caving in and SF winning by 2 scores. Something like 24 – 13. I’m taking SF (-7) and the under (45.5).

22. The Packers won two very closely contested games during the regular season in 2004 (both games ended 34 – 31), just like the two regular season games this year.

+++++

The second game between Green Bay and Minnesota this year was closely contested? Now I heard everything.

23. packertruth says:
    January 9, 2020 at 1:03 pm

+++++

————
    Not as bad as packer fans claiming that the losses in 2017 didn’t count because Rodgers got hurt and 2018s first game was really a packers win because of a call that was made against them after their incessant whining after Aaron got hurt.

24. I could careless about who beat who or didn’t beat during the regular season. It all matters nothing at this point. Some of you trolls make it sound like the best regular season record teams should still be playing this weekend.
    Lets check to be sure. What time do the Patriots play Saturday or Sunday? Anyone know when the Saints play? Anyone? Didn’t think so. SKOL!

25. atthemurph says:
    January 9, 2020 at 12:52 pm

conormacleod says:

———————–

And I think SFs DLine is better than Green Bay’s and their MLB is better too.

_____________________________________

Translation >>>>OMG I don’t want the Vikings to win because I don’t wanna see a healthy Cook and Mattison coming into Lambeau. The Packers are gonna lose either way if the beat the Seahawks this weekend and thats a big IF. It all depends where, either in Lambeau in front of the home town crowd, which for Vikings fans would be epic! Or a trip to see Jimmy G and C0.

Pick your Poison and they venue you want to be humiliated at.