Getty Images

Whether Sunday’s overtime win over the Saints represented a glitch in the matrix or the busting through of a ceiling for quarterback Kirk Cousins remains to be seen. But Cousins’ ability to make two huge throws in a huge game has him hoping that he finally has landed in an NFL sweet spot.

“You want to play the position of quarterback as a CEO and just as a stone-cold killer, and you don’t want to ride this emotional rollercoaster,” Cousins told Hall of Fame coach Tony Dungy of NBC’s Football Night in America. “I think if I do that I can start to make poor decisions with the football. And so I try to be very calm, cool, collected. But really who I am is an emotional guy, an intense guy. I love to play with passion, but I try to find that balance.”

Fans root with passion, and plenty of them (and media) have let Cousins hear it when things don’t go well. He definitely hears it.

“It’s pretty hard not to hear it,” Cousins said, adding that he tries to be influenced only by people in the building.

He’s not resting on finally getting a signature win, because he knows that the reward is an even bigger challenge.

“It’s such a results-based business,” Cousins said. “The bigger the moment, the more important that you deliver.”

For Vikings fans who are used to getting on the porch but never across the threshold, Saturday’s game is both an opportunity to continue the quest to kick in the door but a reminder of all of the failed efforts of past years.

“After one of our tough losses this year, I remember getting on the buses and I saw a fan in a purple and yellow T-shirt and all it said on it, ‘Just Once in My Lifetime,'” Cousins told Dungy. “And what they mean is a world championship. And so you want to deliver that, with everything you have, you want to deliver that. And that’s why we work so hard. And so, what better time than right now? Here we are in the divisional round, so one game at a time. We’ve got to get [past] the 49ers, and it’s not going to be easy. When you’re this close, it certainly gets exciting.”

So close. Yet so far. To get there, Cousins and company will need to complete the 1987 team’s Saints-and-San-Fran-in-six-days feat, followed by a win at Green Bay or Seattle followed by a win in Miami over the Ravens, Chiefs, Texans, or Titans.

But for each of the eight teams left, the effort to win three games come one at a time. And the Vikings are as dangerous as any of them, because they not only have the talent and the coaching to win but also the “nothing to lose” mentality that makes it easier to not worry about the pressure of the moment and to bring a different T-shirt slogan to fruition: “Go Get It.”

77 responses to “Kirk Cousins on Vikings’ endless quest for a Super Bowl win: “What better time than right now?”

1. I decided 10 years ago after the loss to the Saints that the Vikings would never go to the Super Bowl again. I still believe that with all my heart. But I’ve been wrong before.

2. Nothing like a Divisional-round underdog looking ahead to the Superbowl. In Fairness, I’m sure he was prodded until he responded, but this is where you want that Belichick “one-game-at-a-time” stuff.

3. part of me is as excited as i was the week leading up to 41-0 in january of 2001. the other part of me wants to get whatever inevitable heartbreak is on the way over.

4. First time pro sports champions in the last year:

NHL – Blues
    NBA – Raptors
    MLB – Nationals

Why not NFL?

because those teams didn’t have kirk cousins ‘leading’ them.

5. I’m not sure the Niners are really favorites. I see as many people predicting a Vikings win and Vikings fans are guaranteeing one.

6. luebear24 says:
    January 10, 2020 at 1:57 pm
    Uh yeah, but Kirk Cousins is the teams’ quarterback.

2 1 Rate This
    ——————

So? Kirk is not a bad QB. Is he Drew Brees, Tom brady, No! But he is a good…not great QB that can win if he has weapons around him. Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer and way worst QB’s have won Superbowls because of good defense and supporting cast. The vikings can absolutely win a Superbowl this year. Will they is a different story. One game at a time. This is why we watch these games. Nobody thought Nick Foles would win Superbowl for the Eagles. Kirk haters really should be quiet after last week. The guy absolutely was clutch and changed the narrative on him. And this is coming from someone who was pretty anti Kirk earlier this year.

7. What better time? How about the time when you’re not going up against the number 1 pass defense in the NFL off a bye and 3 starters back from injury?

8. Kirk Cousins haters should note that he’s playing against Jimmy Garoppolo this week.

9. Vikes have nothing to lose, everything to gain. They were written off after GB loss. Pressure squarely sits upon Jimmy G, Kyle S and the D Line of SF. We have seen the pressure of the playoffs envelop players in the past. Let’s hope the refs decide not to become the stars of the show.

10. I really the earlier comment about the T-shirt that said “just once in my lifetime”. I’m 61 years old and have been watching and cheering for the Vikes since 1968. It’s been a really tough ride sometimes but I’ve always held up hope. It’s certainly very difficult to beat the number one seed on the road. But I’ve almost always believed the Vikings will win it in a year where they are given no chance by most observers of the NFL. So, I think we’re kinda dangerous this season. The odds are not in our favor, but I think that helps us…Go Vikes!!

11. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    January 10, 2020 at 2:01 pm
    ———————
    I want them to go to SB again. So, they can move into a tie with the Pats & Broncos for the most losses in SB at 5.

12. For some reason the Vikes are a trendy ‘dog pick this week.

I don’t get it.

The Niners are rested and getting healthier, their D will be back to what it was earlier in the year.

The Vikes scraped through on a marginal call.

Niners by 17 when it’s all said and done.

13. RedBlooded says:
    January 10, 2020 at 3:01 pm
    A dome team coming to play outdoors against the best team in the NFC? gud loock
    ———————————————————————-

A northern team that lives daily in one of the coldest areas in the entire country playing in beautiful sunny California. It’s a WARM 11 degrees in MN today. It’s 52 degrees in San Francisco right now. Vikings will be playing in t-shirts. I don’t think the weather is going to be too much of a factor.

14. Really pulling for Vikings, but I’d be tough to win this if they were healthy, which they are not. Unfortunately this game is probably going to be a low scoring, convincing and boring SF win.

15. The winner or loser will be determined by one aspect of the game. If the Niners do not put a lot of presure on Kirk they will lose big. They must hit and sack him to win. If you do not see that by halftime then it will be too late.

16. Endless! Like his ridiculous contract! Watch the Vikings run for the hills when that contract expires!

17. I hope that the 49ers are looking past the Vikings just like their fans are…Vikings have been here before, their hungry as hell and ready to feast!

V-I-K-I-N-G-S SKOL Vikings let’s go!!!

18. This is going to be less Vikings vs 49ers and more Zimmer vs Shanahan. I didn’t think they could beat the Saints; it took a truly incredible defensive scheme to shut down Brees/Thomas, maybe Zimmer knows Payton too well. I don’t think they get it done tomorrow though, too much going against them and will likely get out-coached.

19. The offensive line… not Kirk will determine the outcome. I think the 49’er front four will have a huge day….

20. NFL is the WWE. Cousins brings zero ratings to a NFC championship game. It will be Rodgers vs Garopollo. That is almost a guarantee lock. Same with mahomes vs Jackson. NFL doesn’t want tannehill in the AFC championship game

21. TribeOfOne says:
    January 10, 2020 at 2:10 pm
    _____________________________________

There is not one vikings fan out there (besides the trolls) guaranteeing a win. Nice try.

22. frodoftw7 says:
    January 10, 2020 at 4:00 pm
    No dog in this fight but I did watch them dismantle my Raiders pretty good. That’s puting it lightly. Who knows?

—-

Yes, playing the 49ers is just like playing the Raiders.

23. Vikings can’t block the 49ers pass rushers. They have to get Cook going or they 49ers will destroy them offensively. Defensively, the vikings don’t match up well. Nobody in the NFL can cover Kittle. Sanders and their other WRs are too quick for rhodes and hill. Only waynes can possibly cover one of them. The 49ers running backs are insanely talented.

I just don’t see a win here for the vikings. The 49ers are way too talented.

24. Three weeks ago the guy was getting tossed on to the scrap heap by his teammates and fans… one throw later he is talking about winning the Superbowl and they all believ in him now… Only in MiniiHaha

25. thefiesty1 says:
    January 10, 2020 at 4:18 pm

_____________________

At least he’s not a huge diva that gets more breaks than a Kit Kat bar.

26. There’s a lot of Super Bowl talk on this thread, just a quick little reminder:
    The last time the Vikings played in a Super Bowl

Tickets to the big game only cost $25.00
    Disco ruled the radio airwaves.
    Gas cost 0.65 cents a gallon.
    France still used the guillotine as a means of execution.
    And George Lucas was just some guy who directed American Graffiti.

Wow, how time flies.

27. This is a preachers son who has handled his career brilliantly and his personal life even better. I did some homework on this man. The Redskins are something he can be so thankful he got away from and did after getting his and more because under the rules he could. Now he’s deeper in the playoffs and the Redskins fired their head coach and are trying to put the pieces of shattered dreams back together again. I’m pulling for this guy. I am. I have no connection to the Vikings other then I used to enjoy seeing Fran Tarkington scramble around running for his life and the Purple People Eaters defense. I wish this man well. He is not greedy … he is smart. He knows what time it is. It’s NOW TIME !!!

28. I’ve been a Vikes fan since 86 and I used to believe a SB win would happen 1 day but after 5 NFCCG losses that turned to hope rather than expectation. It’s going to be tough to beat a rested niners side on a short week away when they are the 1 seed, but as long as there is life theres hope. If they do lose, contrary to popular belief, my heart won’t be broken.That did happen after the Falcons and Saints NFCCG loses as those Viking teams had a credible claim as being the best in the NFL and the nature of the loses still hurt. The Saints game was particularly traumatic It didn’t finish here till after 4am and I had to be up for work at 6, that was really grim. Teams have gotten hot at the right time before and my hope is this is what happens tomorrow but if it doesn’t the sun will still rise in the morning and if we are going to lose I’d rather it be tomorrow than next weekend in Green Bay, which really doesn’t bear thinking about.

29. Vikings vs Packers would be the most watched NFCCG ever

thermanmerman99 says:
    January 10, 2020 at 5:14 pm

30. Wafflestomp says:
    January 10, 2020 at 5:46 pm
    There’s a lot of Super Bowl talk on this thread, just a quick little reminder:
    The last time the Vikings played in a Super Bowl

Tickets to the big game only cost $25.00
    Disco ruled the radio airwaves.
    Gas cost 0.65 cents a gallon.
    France still used the guillotine as a means of execution.
    And George Lucas was just some guy who directed American Graffiti.

Wow, how time flies.

__________________

It also happened during a 15 year stretch where the Packers had 11 losing seasons, four at .500 and only 1 with a winning record. That winning year came during an 8 game strike hit season.

31. derp363 says:
    January 10, 2020 at 5:24 pm

I just don’t see a win here for the vikings. The 49ers are way too talented.
    ________

The Vikings can’t block Cam Jordan. Nobody in the NFL can cover Michael Thomas. Alvin Kamara is insanely talented. The Saints had nine Pro Bowlers; they’re way too talented.

32. This team is bipolar and you never know which Vikings team will show up – the good Vikings or the bad Vikings. Given that it is a huge game with a huge potential audience, my guess is the bad Vikings. I have been a Vikings fan since the early 70’s, so I know what to expect.

33. It seems to happen every year. In the Wild card weekend, an underdog plays their best game of the season and their fan base starts dreaming of a year like 2010 where the #6 Packers went on the road for three games and got to the Superbowl and won that too.

Congratulations to Viking fans, a turn over happy Saints team didn’t play nearly as well as the Vikings and they walked out of the Superdome with the W. Getting to Miami gets even tougher this week with a game in SF and then next week with a game either in Seattle or GB. The odds are long but if I were a betting man, I would lay it all down on some form of heartache because that what the Vikings do best whether its a missed 26 yarder or a missed left from a FG kicker that didn’t miss a single one all season to losing to a 2nd string QB in a game where Vegas has you favored. I can’t even venture a guess in what package the hearache will be wrapped in but I have a feeling its going to be epic.

34. maximusintoxicus says:
    January 10, 2020 at 5:49 pm
    ____________
    Dead on about Cousins. As a diehard Skins fan, i have seen nearly every game he has played in as a Redskin. He is a gamer regardless of all the talk that he cannot win big games or folds under pressure. He constantly kept awful Redskin teams in games they shouldn’t have been. He has passed for over 4k yards every year as a starter except this year. I also have no connection to the Vikings but am rooting for them just because i have so much respect for Cousins game and how he conducts himself. This guy got franchised twice and never complained or held out of training camp or voluntary workouts. Dude has been a professional and team player his entire career. Cousins made several eat crow against the Saints because no one gave him and the vikings a chance. Heres hoping Cousins and the Vikings can do it again this week.

35. ob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    January 10, 2020 at 7:11 pm
    derp363 says:
    January 10, 2020 at 5:24 pm

I just don’t see a win here for the vikings. The 49ers are way too talented.
    ________

______
    Touche brother…. Touche

36. I was the guy who would never miss a play, let alone a game….something died inside me after the first quarter of the NFCCG against the Eagles….I resigned myself to the fact that it is never going to happen

37. Hypothetically, were they able to beat four 13-3 teams to win a Super Bowl, you would have to say they deserve it. And that comes from a die-hard Packers life-time fan. Don’t see it happening, but would have to acknowledge their run.

38. stellarperformance says:
    January 10, 2020 at 2:41 pm
    Can you say jinx?
    ———-
    Can you say secret man crush. Dude you always comment on any and everything relating to Cousins

39. Cousins comes up with a new slogan trademark , Pain after this loss !

“You didnt like that right ?!”

Bosa and the Niners will offer Kurt a stretcher call as he attempts to throw hail marys all game loooong ! As the Niner D out does the whole Viking Squad !

Better luck next year Chuckles !

40. Will be alright if the Vikings win this week, just to clear the boards of all these blowhard Frisco fans who were NOWHERE to be found until this season

Aside from ctiggs,that guy alright

41. vikesfansteve says:
    January 10, 2020 at 6:39 pm
    Vikings vs Packers would be the most watched NFCCG ever

—————

Only in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The rest of us would have to suffer through two of the worst fanbases on here.

42. Odds makers in Vegas have the Kurt Cousins interception watch at 2 and his fumbles lost at 1. I would take the over on both of those.

43. theyearofthecat1 says:
    January 10, 2020 at 8:39 pm
    vikesfansteve says:
    January 10, 2020 at 6:39 pm
    Vikings vs Packers would be the most watched NFCCG ever

—————

@@@@@@@@222

Being a lions fan you should be use to suffering. Now what did you say at the beginning of the season again? Roar! lol