Packers need volunteers to shovel snow

Getty Images

It’s now officially the playoffs.

The Packers are expecting so much snow that they’re asking for people to help shovel it.

According to Benita Mathew of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, the team has put out the call for 700 volunteers to shovel out Lambeau Field beginning at 6 a.m. Sunday.

Because it’s Green Bay, and, you know, winter, they’re expecting 8 to 10 inches of snow through Sunday, in advance of their divisional round game against the Seahawks.

If you’re into that kind of thing, it’s a good deal, because they’ll pay you $12 an hour, and pay you as soon as you finish (which makes it nearly the only guaranteed money in the NFL).

40 responses to “Packers need volunteers to shovel snow

1. Build an indoor facility or let fans clean their own area. Lambeau is historic, but so are places like Soldier Field. They have to do this crap every year.

2. I knew this was coming with the impending snow through Saturday night.
    I’ve always loved the way the community pitches in together when it comes to helping the Packers.

I won’t be out there Sunday morning shoveling snow, well, I will at my house, but I’ll be there a few hours later to take in the game day festivities, and to watch what I’m sure will be a hotly contested matchup with a very worthy foe.
    Can’t Wait!!!

3. collectordude says:
    January 10, 2020 at 7:12 am
    $12 an hour?
    Cheap, Cheap, Cheap.

$ 12 an hour in Green Bay isn’t bad, This isn’t NYC. The average home price is $ 154,900,
    average rent $ 868. They could throw in a standing room ticket like the Bills do if you work a certain amount of hours.

4. 12 bucks is better than what you’d get at Foxboro.
    There you get no money, but all the Kool Aid you can drink.

5. Imagine this: as they are paid, each is given a ticket for a drawing, and five of them are winners and sit with the GB execs in their suite. (even if it means disinviting a few)

6. $12 an hour? The blue collar, good old fashioned, salt of the earth people of Green Bay should be willing to do it for free. Nothing wrong with some elbow grease and hard work. Builds character. Besides, as much as they like to brag about how they are “owners” of the team, the least you can do is shovel your own sidewalk.

7. I’m not a Packers fan and have never lived in a place with regular snow. But heck, I would love to do this. I might not last long.

8. They actually have a good system with conveyor belts in the aisle and some other tricks to make this not-so-bad. If I was local, I’d bring my older kids and do this for free.

9. routerunner says:
    January 10, 2020 at 8:47 am

_________

They basically used to.
    The Packers, for years, had issued checks for this, but their books began to get screwed up especially if there were excess snow days during the season.
    They found out that fans weren’t cashing them, instead they were framing them, putting them in scrapbooks, or just saving them as keepsakes.
    That’s why they now pay out everyone’s hard work with cash.
    After a while it just became necessary.

10. For those that shovel, they should be able to get free tickets too.

Seriously, the Packers average 3,600 unsold tickets per game.

Let them sit in the owner’s suite (they are owners, aren’t they???).

11. Just build a darn indoor facility. People are going to be aghast at that suggestion, but it’s time to move forward and quit living in the past.

12. I would jump on the opportunity to hang out inside the Clink for a few hours and get some exercise. Looking forward to a good game on Sunday. It’s going to be a close one.

Go HAWKS

13. starchild53 says:
    January 10, 2020 at 9:18 am
    …………

Who in the Hell wants to do that?
    The Green Bay Packers have been playing outdoor football for over 100 years, why would they do it any other way?
    This is the NFL, if I wanted to watch arena football, I would have supported that league instead.

Besides, who wants to be inside during a gorgeous, sunny, September afternoon, or a cool, crisp, Autumn evening under the lights and stars?
    I’d even take a chilly, beautiful snowy football game over the bland, antiseptic, enclosed monoliths they play in some cities.

NFL Football is meant to be played outside in the elements.
    Weather games are some of the best, and can truly test the metal of some teams.
    With the usual game day experience, it’s probably about 6 or 7 hours, dress accordingly.
    And if you have the extra energy, grab a shovel.

14. Just build a darn indoor facility. People are going to be aghast at that suggestion, but it’s time to move forward and quit living in the past.
    —–
    Hard no for me.

15. I’m sure the worker-fans will have a great time, chatting while they shovel snow; probably hot chocolate and coffee available, take-home cash. Everyone gets some exercise and a happy memory; something to boast about for years. And the field gets cleared. Win win.

16. Tickets are hard to come by for a game like this. Due to the sellout streak dating to the late fifties, this is as close as some fans will get.

17. Ashley Keith says:
    January 10, 2020 at 8:57 am

—————————————-

I live in Northern Canada. It looks nice but after shoveling 2 feet of your driveway while the snow falls so fast it looks like you have done nothing. You learn a snowblower is a smart investment or you will be hiring people. I was not having fun this morning

18. routerunner says:
    January 10, 2020 at 8:47 am

________________________________________________________________

It’s not about salt of the earth or elbow greece, it’s more of a case of excessive government and litigation…For profit businesses have to pay all workers for their time. (Fair Labor Standards Act)

19. Wafflestomp says:
    January 10, 2020 at 9:03 am

___________

I can understand fans framing their ownership certificates, but those checks are actually worth something.

20. People complaining about the pay. Hilarious. Would I go do it? Nope. Not even for 30 an hour. Do I care if someone else does it for 12 bucks an hour? Nope.

A lot of people will show up and they even have to turn people away. People do it to get into the stadium and help out. For a lot of people, it is the only way to get in there and see the place. It is an awesome stadium with a lot of history. The Packers used to pay with checks, but a lot of people didn’t cash them. They kept them as souvenirs. Now they pay cash to make it easier to keep the books.

21. That means we’re going to get a foot of snow in Minnesota tonight, great… You guys usually get the storm next.

22. I remember back in 2004 before the Eagles/Falcons NFFCG there was a blizzard in Philly the day before. They asked anybody to come down to the linc and shovel snow for free admission to the game. I absolutely would’ve done it if I didn’t already have tickets. But I guess GB is used to this kind of snow, so $12 an hour is about as much as you’re going to get.

23. Nothing much better than Lambeau in January. Good luck to the Pack and their fans this weekend.

24. Donna Martin Graduates says:
    January 10, 2020 at 11:34 am
    routerunner says:
    January 10, 2020 at 8:47 am

________________________________________________________________

_________________________

The Packers are a publicly held non-profit organization.

25. ravforlife says:
    January 10, 2020 at 6:26 am

January football in Green Bay, frozen tundra. Love it !!

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Lambeau has a heated field. It is not frozen!

26. Tickets are hard to come by for a game like this. Due to the sellout streak dating to the late fifties**, this is as close as some fans will get.

**Does not include playoffs games that did not sellout OR playoffs games that needed corporate assistance to sellout.

27. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    January 10, 2020 at 12:08 pm
    Wafflestomp says:
    January 10, 2020 at 9:03 am

___________

They put them right next to their framed picture of Aaron Rodgers 🙂

28. Oh my, the Viking children even weigh on on a nice story like this one. Tip of the cap though to Purpleguy, though. Class shows.

29. Cool your jets, purple people. The Vikings did the exact same thing when they played at TCF Bank stadium. People here were so excited about outdoor football they wanted to do it for free. The sense of community these types of things bring out is pretty cool.