Tom Brady plans to play in 2020, but says future can wait for now

Getty Images

It was only a week ago that the Patriots’ season ended, so nothing has changed for Tom Brady.

The Patriots quarterback has taken time off since his team’s loss to the Titans in the wild-card round. Brady said Saturday he has not started thinking about his future.

Brady is scheduled to become a free agent in March.

“The contract things I think a week after the season, I would say these things haven’t even started to pick up,” Brady told him Gray on Westwood One Radio on Saturday, via Ryan Hannable of WEEI. “That is not my concern at this point. It has been about decompressing and lessen my mind a little bit and resting my body and spending time with the people who have supported me over the last six months.

“Like I said, I’ve loved playing football and I have loved playing for this organization, so I really don’t know what it is going to look like moving forward and I am just taking things day-by-day. We’re a week removed from the end of our season. There’s a lot of time to figure these things out. I don’t think any player or team is ready to make any commitments at this point and I am sure as the offseason progresses those things will take care of themselves.”

Brady, 42, reiterated what he said postgame last week: He plans to play somewhere in 2020. Brady long has said he wants to play until he’s 45.

But he does not expect a quick decision on his future.

“I know there’s speculation. There always is,” Brady said. “That is part of being in professional sports and being a professional athlete. When people aren’t talking about this season, they want to talk about next season and the reality is next season is quite a ways away. I have some other things that are happening at this time, like I said spending some time with my family and my loved ones and giving them the time they need. Then as people begin to plan for next season, like I said, these things will take care of themselves.”

Brady has six Super Bowl rings, but he did not have his best season. He completed 60.8 percent of his passes in the regular season for 4,057 yards with 24 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

His final pass of the loss to the Titans last week was intercepted by former teammate Logan Ryan and returned 9 yards for a touchdown with nine seconds remaining.

Still, Brady is doing things at his age that previously have never been done.

“It’s always been proving it to myself and being motivated internally to push myself to the limits,” Brady said. “Sometimes the limits push back. I have experienced that. But I also think I am been inspired by so many people who have pushed the limits. I’ve watched a lot of movies. I love watching documentaries of incredible human feats and they are inspiring when people climb these mountains and do things that people never thought were possible.

“I am at a certain point in my career where people think that what I am doing is to a degree impossible. For me, it is about continuing to prove to myself that I can lay it all on the line and we can still still try and achieve the ultimate goal, which is winning Super Bowls.”

90 responses to “Tom Brady plans to play in 2020, but says future can wait for now

1. Favre 2.0. Give it up Brady, go do some commercials or something if you need to keep busy. Your arm is only going to get worse over the next 6/7 months. Don’t cheat yourself now, actually keep cheating yourself, the downfall and tears of your loser fan base is gonna keep me hydrated for many many years.

2. I think he will be back with the Patriots provided he has some decent protection throughout the season and some decent receivers. I wonder if Danny Amendola could return?

3. burtmustin says:
    January 11, 2020 at 7:47 pm

0 0 Rate This

Ready to keep being delusional and telling yourself next year as Brady deteriorates away into oblivion.

“All Brady needs is protection and better receivers.”

Patriot fans fall from grace will be well documented, as they begin to suck over the next 20/30 years or so, they’ll keep saying Brady is gonna come out of retirement and then we are back on top, Brady, brady, brady. Hahahahaha losers

4. oiler1980 says:
    January 11, 2020 at 7:52 pm
    Just appreciate what he has done haters. I’m sure you would if he played the last 20 years for your team.

1 1 Rate This

Well guess what, he didn’t. And you losers propped him up to an annoying level that you will be treated accordingly….. get used to it big babies

5. ghostofmyra says:
    January 11, 2020 at 7:54 pm
    burtmustin says:
    January 11, 2020 at 7:47 pm

0 0 Rate This

“All Brady needs is protection and better receivers.”

——-
    😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

6. Who cares, dude is 42 going on 82. Put your MAGA hat on and ride off into the sunset. The NFL will be fine.

7. Gotta love how people pretend like Logan Ryan fooled Brady and undercut the route, or took away a 50/50 ball.
    In reality it hit his sorry receiver, who was probably interfered with, in the shoulder and Logan said “look what I found”.

8. I know he has a beautiful wife & kids that he loves. That’s why I can’t understand why he constantly places football as a priority ahead of them. Most men in his situation will cite spending more time with his family as a reason to put football behind them.
    It appears that Tom Brady has his entire identity wrapped up in football and would really be miserable without it. Despite how much he says he loves & values his family.

9. Cut the cord Tom. Belichick is ruthless, couldn’t care less what the fanbase thinks or wants, and will not wait three years too long to kick you to the curb like Mara and the NY Giants finally did with Eli.

10. Brady mentioned “decompressing”, but when I first read it I thought it said “decomposing”.

Let him decompose on some other team’s roster, please.

11. This is the first January Brady has had off in nine years. Take your time Tom. But when the process ends, please stay in NE.

After 8 straight AFC championship appearances, missing it one time makes you think it’s over?

Keep on predicting the demise of the dynasty. Brady says he has more to prove, and he will prove you wrong.

12. sityourselfdown says:
    January 11, 2020 at 7:59 pm
    Bradys career is unmatched

——
    Won’t ever be matched.

13. sityourselfdown says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:02 pm

——
    Either way- own 1 yard line with 15 seconds left isn’t an ideal spot. I’m glad he was slinging it and took a chance instead of giving up. I’m sure he doesn’t give two craps that it ended up in Ryan’s hands,

14. GoodellMustGo says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:00 pm
    It will be a very interesting offseason for the 6 time World Champion Patriots.

3 1 Rate This

That sentiment will wear down over the next 10 years without winning Super Bowls and you have to settle for just being a regular organization will just being hopeful to make the playoffs. The high you guys are still on will come down and it’s gonna suck once you realize you are irrelevant

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

15. ricko1112 says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:01 pm
    People thinking the Patriots are going to fall off a cliff are delusional… Wishful thinking by the bandwagon!

——
    Nobody is going to accuse the Patriots of an easy schedule next year. With the right moves and if Bill sticks around they’ll be in contention.

16. Jimmypinthe416 says:
    January 11, 2020 at 7:53 pm
    The playoffs are still going. Who cares about the pats. They’re irrelevant right now.
    ——
    You posted a comment in a Pats topic so not that irrelevant. 🙂

17. Brady has become a master at the weekly “Look at Me” presser. Jerry Jones is envious.

18. ghostofmyra says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:18 pm
    GoodellMustGo says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:00 pm
    It will be a very interesting offseason for the 6 time World Champion Patriots.

3 1 Rate This

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

—-
    #triggered
    #SoEasy

😂

19. I hope these articles don’t drag on. Whatever the rumors, I’d bet Brady is back on the Pats, they will get a few pieces to improve the o-line and offense, and Pats will be right back in the SB mix again next year, and we can then hear the same recycled “is Brady done” headlines until they win the SB again.

20. 54 year old Eagles fan. Brady is the top QB of all time if not top 3. I’m not a fan. I hate him as much as the next but as a typical Philadelphia fan I’ll tell you how it is without a sugar coat. Anyone would want their QB to be as good\lucky\whatever as he has for 2 decades.

21. He says he still has something to prove. My guess is that he wants to prove that he can win a championship without Belichick coaching him.

22. Love all of the soft serve ice cream eating haters spewing their nonsense. Oh I wouldn’t want him on my team cuz my quarterback is cool and can run. We might not have any Lombardi trophies but we will next year you’ll see.

23. GoodellMustGo says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:27 pm
    ghostofmyra says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:18 pm
    GoodellMustGo says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:00 pm
    It will be a very interesting offseason for the 6 time World Champion Patriots.

3 1 Rate This

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

—-
    #triggered
    #SoEasy

😂

1 0 Rate This

You were the first to respond to my predictions. For you were triggered. And it was very easy.

Can’t wait to continue these discussions next season as your godly Patriots fall from heaven, riding a 43 year old QB who’s trying to convince himself his TB12 Method is legit. Hahaha.

24. burtmustin says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:31 pm
    Hey GhostofMyra-it must be a blast rooting for whatever embarrassing franchise you root for.

1 0 Rate This

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

25. acemagee45 says:
    January 11, 2020 at 7:52 pm
    Twenty years GOAT game manager.
    ——————————

Don’t you wish your lousy team had a game manager with 6 rings and 9 Super Bowl appearances.

26. theexcitedshoplifter says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:24 pm
    __________________

Your home team is envious you think more about the Patriots than them.

27. lgw91s says:
    January 11, 2020 at 8:24 pm
    johnnycantread says:
    January 11, 2020 at 7:41 pm
    Please, not my team
    ————–
    What is your team this week?

____________

I root for whoever beats the Patriots.
    Since the Patriots’ season is done, I’m done rooting for this year.

28. I’ve been planning his options for 18 months. We will have a plan decided on shortly but don’t expect we will have any public announcements for a few weeks yet. Please be patient and rest assured, I will make sure Tom is well taken care of.

29. IMOP
    I think Tom is saying he’s done with the Pats”+football”.
    he kinda said it himself ,
    “Like I said, I’ve loved playing football and I have loved playing for this organization.
    he used the word LOVED “past tense” twice in the same sentence HMMM?
    Either he’s moving on to a new team or hooking up with PEYTON to buy a team?

HHHMMMM ,questions of a wandering mind

“”Brady to Peyton””

“played against each other lots before, whats wrong with hooking up once more,
    after all what more do i need , i still trail you and BREES”.
    + MY WIFE MAKES MORE THAN ME
    Might have more trophies sitting on my shelf.

BUT A TEAM OWNED BUY US , could be enough

quote the
    BIGDOG NEVER MORE

30. I root for whoever beats the Patriots.
    Since the Patriots’ season is done, I’m done rooting for this year.

And that’s as pathetic as it gets

31. This clown won’t go anywhere a defense can’t carry him. And Belichick can’t win with teaching a new qb old cheating ways. They have no other choice but to stay together.

32. For the life of me I’ll never understand the hate this dude gets. I’m a BROWNS fan !! the guy is the epitome of class, humility and production. Who cares how U feel about the pats, you’re witnessing the GOATs last year or a couple. Appreciate it.

33. Flash1211 says:

I root for whoever beats the Patriots.
    Since the Patriots’ season is done, I’m done rooting for this year.

And that’s as pathetic as it gets

__________

Not quite as pathetic as a fan base that claims that when their team loses, it’s by design, or it’s anyone’s fault except the team.

It’s the refs, the commissioner, or it’s injuries.
    It’s never “We lost this week because on this day the other team played better and beat us.”

Always some spin on things… And that’s not to mention the complete denial of all the cheating that’s happened the past 20 years… 3 scandals regarding the team and one regarding the owner.

The Pats fans turn a bling eye and a deaf ear to it, and try to pretend they won things fair and square by explaining it away with bogus conspiracy theories… That’s what is truly pathetic.

34. This clown won’t go anywhere a defense can’t carry him. And Belichick can’t win with teaching a new qb old cheating ways. They have no other choice but to stay together.
    ——-
    Name the last QB to win a Super Bowl without a top 10 defense.

35. These poor haters! For years they’ve been predicting the demise of Tom Brady and the Patriots! I guess that after so many times of being wrong it doesn’t matter if they are wrong again. Brady still has game left. I hope the patriots can build a team around him and then re-sign him to give him another shot to once again, prove these haters wrong.

36. joker65 says:

Name the last QB to win a Super Bowl without a top 10 defense.

___________

Peyton Manning?

37. Yeah, the future can wait. Tom will be wanting to live in the past (except for his MAGA hat pose) for the rest of time.

38. joker65 says:
    January 11, 2020 at 9:41 pm
    ——-
    Name the last QB to win a Super Bowl without a top 10 defense
    ——————-
    But but but he’s the goat. He shouldn’t need a top 10 defense.

39. All these fake patsie trolls(fans) on here
    Just goes to show, the world is made up of 75% stupid people

40. Pats fans,

You reap what you sew.

You come on here and beat your chest and razz other teams’ fans.
    Then when your team loses, you flip out because now you’re the ones getting razzed.
    If other fans are trolls because they razz you, then you’re trolls for doing the same thing.

Like I said, you reap what you sew.
    Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.

41. Leave the hate at the door and I’m an Eagles fan) what TB12 has done in the last five yrs, most 25 yr old QBs couldn’t do. I think Mr Kraft is going to sell out for one more Trophy run .with Tom at QB. He’ll bring in 2/3 Stud WRs and add a TE (Gronk maybe?) and Give TB12 the send off to retirement he deserves.

Love him or not he is the GOAT.

42. Hey haters, how’s that one point loss to the Titans with 30 seconds on the clock after a missed desperation blocked punt attempt look now?

Patriots haters’ glory has a shelf life of about one week.

43. No team complains less after a loss than the Pats. No team praises the winning team more than the Pats. You don’t realize that because it is relatively infrequent.

44. This year’s postseason heavyweights are a flash in the pan / fart in the wind. Brady will return to lead the Patriots to their every-other-year glory.

Heck, as bad as his offensive weapons were, Brady put up more points against the Titans than Lamar Jackson.

45. It is absolutely crazy that people pretend like it was anybody but bradys fault for having such a bad offense last season. He had a much better wr and rb group than over half the league! And throughout his entire career has never had an oline ranked out of the top 10, including this year (ranked 5th in pass protection).

46. As a Jets fan I’ve been waiting for Brady to retire for a long time. At this point though I’d prefer that he kept playing at a middling level whilst counting ~30m against the salary cap.

47. Belichick is determined to beat Shula’s record and Brady will retire, with the Patriots, after his seventh Super Bowl victory! Speculate all you want … this is a certainty.

48. Patriots with a crippled offense lost to the Titans by 1. (I don’t acknowledge the pick 6 for obvious reasons) R*vens got destroyed. LOL.

This is more enjoyable than when Peyton’s Broncos got whooped in the Super Bowl! 😀

49. Only my opinion, but Brady has nothing left to prove and should have retired after his Super Bowl win last year. I would hate to see his legacy diminished by his hanging on. No matter what anyone says, football is a young man’s sport and the players are faster and stronger than ever. Why risk a debilitating injury at this point in your life.

I’m a Steelers fan, and feel the same about Brees, Rivers, Manning and Roethlisberger. From a stats, playoff and Super Bowl wins, none of them have anything to prove.

50. patriotmaleorgy says:
    January 11, 2020 at 10:14 pm
    joker65 says:
    January 11, 2020 at 9:41 pm
    ——-
    Name the last QB to win a Super Bowl without a top 10 defense
    ——————-
    But but but he’s the goat. He shouldn’t need a top 10 defense.

_____

Not according to you! You think hes average and a system QB.

Still waiting for you to name these mythical other QBs that won championships consistently without a good defense.

51. Twenty years GOAT game manager.
    _________________

Would you rather see the offense of your favorite team moving 50 yards with 6 passes or moving 50 yards with 2 passes?

Your favorite QB must be an idiot.

52. But but but he’s the goat. He shouldn’t need a top 10 defense.
    ________________________

Do you know that Saints defense was much much worse under Bridgewater than under Brees?

See Packers defense? it was much better when Rodgers played like a “game manager” in 2019.

Tell stupid Rodgers to be a game manager and score 440 points, OK?

53. Lousy offenses from Jets, Bills and Dolphins made Pats defense much better than it really was.

In SB against Panthers, Pats offense played 38 mintues.
    In SB against Seahawks, Pats offense played 33 minutes.
    In SB against Falcons, Pats offense played 37 minutes during regular periods

In SB against Eagles, Pats offense played only 26 minutes. How did his #5 defense play?

In AFCCG against Chiefs, Pats offense played 39 minutes.
    In SB agaisnt Rams, Pats offense played 33 minutes.

54. William Lee says:
    January 12, 2020 at 4:17 pm

—-
    Patriots defense was great but they did have a few flaws exploited by some teams. I expect those flaws to be addressed. Including a big run stuffer up front.

55. The same people who thought Brady would beat Tennessee and have a playoff run, ignored his poor play and made excuses for him are the same delusionals who think he will return to NE next year.
    New flash, BB does not want you! He didn’t want you 2 years ago. This time, BB gets his way.