Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as head coach

Getty Images

The Cleveland Browns have hired their next head coach.

Former Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski is the Browns’ new head coach, according to multiple reports.

The Browns couldn’t officially hire Stefanski until the Vikings were eliminated from the playoffs, and less than 24 hours after Saturday’s loss to the 49ers, the hiring was made.

But the Browns’ interest in Stefanski goes far beyond one game. In fact, Paul DePodesta, the Browns’ longtime analytics strategist, reportedly wanted Stefanski last year, when the Browns hired Freddie Kitchens instead. The Browns still need to hire a G.M., and they will want someone whose philosophy aligns with those of Stefanski and DePodesta.

With the Browns’ vacancy filled, the coach hiring season is over, and all 32 NFL teams have a head coach.

177 responses to “Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as head coach

1. Alright, now get Josh some weapons on offense and bring the GOAT back so that they can resume their rightful place at the top….:)

2. As a Vikings fan, I am thrilled with this. Now either put Kubiak as the OC, and if he doesn’t want that job, circle back to Shurmur.

3. Poor guy gets to go to one of the worst-run organizations to be a head coach. I guess on the bright side: if he turns them around he is a hero and if he fails it will likely be blamed on the inept owner again so he will likely get a chance again somewhere else. I wonder if Josh McDaniels seriously considered this job or figured he’d just wait for Bill to retire.

4. Finally, cooler heads prevailed. This should’ve happened last year. Didn’t expect logic from the Haslams. Go Browns!!! Woof! Woof! Woof!

5. I don’t know how you take the browns job strictly off ownership when there’s no GM even in place. He better have gotten a five year deal.

6. Must have spent the entire week prepping for his interview…He sure didn’t have his offense ready to play yesterday. Get dominated and look completely unprepared on Saturday, and then get a promotion and a raise on Sunday. Good riddance.

7. Another stupid decision by the Browns. Hitting a HC before your GM? NFL needs to get the moron owner to sell this team.

8. It had to be someone,and he’s got as good a shot at being successful as anyone else. You never know until you try. Next year, Cleveland.

9. Brilliant and inspired move because if you can’t trust an offensive coordinator whose offenses were inconsistent at best, who can you trust?

10. The Browns are the Browns…the Bears are the Bears and the Lions are the Lions. These organizations are in a perpetual losing “funk,” and they’ve forgotten how to be winners. Don’t look for any of them to turn things around any time soon.

11. Sometimes Josh, the best job is the one you already have. If you are really interested in being head coach of the Browns, you will have another opportunity to interview for it at the end of next season.

12. Prediction: Robert Salah will be a Hall of Fame head coach. He reminds me of Bill Cowher when he roamed the sidelines. I remember when he coached the Browns special teams. He ran up and down the sidelines willing his players to greatness. I hope Stefanski can lead men to greatness. Yesterday, not so much. Niners made every offense look bad this year.

13. McDaniels denied again. I wonder if the Colts thing had anything to do with it…
    ___________

It certainly should!

14. I really don’t know if he is a good coach or coordinator – but people saying he got spanked yesterday are ridiculous. No one wins every game they play. Also, they played arguably the best team in football. One game against a very good team should not be a reason why he shouldn’t be the coach in Cleveland. Use a real argument.

15. I like this hire for the Brownies but this team needs a drill sergeant not a buddy buddy. Put your foot down day one and dont be afraid to get rid of the cancer no matter who it is. Stefanski is that kind of coach but it’s the Brownies. They will find a way to destroy it

16. He’ll be a better coach than OC. Experience in all aspects of the game. Surround him with talented assistants and he’ll be a good head coach.

17. Now that DePodesta is fully in charge I guess we can trade away all the good players and start tanking again. 0-32 here we come!

18. maxtheshoe says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:26 pm
    why do I think in a year or 2 the Browns will be looking for another head coach…?
    —————————————

Maybe I’m going out on a limb here but maybe it’s because since buying the team in 2012 Stefanski will become Haslam’s 7th HC?

19. So, what are you saying? that he threw the game in order to expedite his hiring, or that he’s not the coach the Browns think he is?

20. “But the Browns’ interest in Stefanski goes far beyond one game.”
    —-
    I would hope the interest in any man who is going to guide a franchise and be paid multiple millions for the trouble goes far beyond one game.

21. Very bright, even-keeled coach who has worked in several offensive roles learning from some good coaches. Hopefully, Kevin will help make a winner out of the Browns. Even more hopefully, he and his new GM will poach the left side of the Viking’s current O-line!

22. I’m a Vikings fan. I’m fine with this. In Stefanski’s defense, he’d probably say he did what he could with that offensive line. But I’m still fine with it.

23. As a Vikings fan…..Thank God! And good luck Cleveland.

His unimaginative game plans and game calling wont be missed. I’ll give it until Week 6 before there’s a full on mutiny in Cleveland. Phew!!!!

24. So we’re up to three teams that passed on prime HC candidate Eric bieniemy for lesser hires. Nothing to see here.

25. “and especially given the fourth quarter play calling, when the Vikings continued to attempt to establish the run, even when they were facing a 17-point deficit”.

That is 100% Zimmer’s responsibility. He is the guy who refuses to let his OC call pass plays and also refuses to let his quarterback audible to a pass play even if there are 9 defenders in the box. Stefanski is lucky to get away from Zimmer while he can.

26. Interesting that both Pats and Vikings fans were more than happy to drive their OC’s to the airport. Here in NE we’re hoping for a change.

27. Now that McDaniels is staying in NE I wonder if that makes Brady a tad more inclined to stay. He won’t have to learn a new offense if JM had gone and Pats had gotten a new OC.

28. That hiring may get renewed scrutiny, given the performance of the Vikings’ offense in that loss in San Francisco, and especially given the fourth quarter play calling, when the Vikings continued to attempt to establish the run even when they were facing a 17-point deficit.

In Stefanski’s defense, that may have had more to do with Zimmer than Stefanski. I can’t imagine he’ll be any worse than Kitchens. Let’s give the guy a chance before you label him a mistake. However, it is the Browns so it’s probably fair to assume it’s a mistake since just about everything they do is a mistake. It’s not without reason that Cleveland is referred to as the mistake on the lake.

29. This hire is why the Browns are the Browns. He ran an offense that was terrible at times with the talent he had. The Browns needed to make a statement with this hire and they did just that. A swing and a miss. Better than Freddie, but really who isn’t. Now we will hear that he was their guy all along. Good Grief.

30. phillybilly 00 says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:33 pm

McDaniels denied again. I wonder if the Colts thing had anything to do with it…

Stories are coming out McDaniels wanted to do a complete gut job and Browns wanted to change a couple things here and there thats it. If true and I believe it the Browns will be back too square one in a year or two.

31. Although I’m glad are DC is staying in San Francisco, the browns are a joke. Ye sits one game but the head to head of the candidates would be enough for me. Not to mention Kevin has been in that job only for one year, and didn’t exactly tear it up. Browns going to browns

32. How does Kirk Cousins gets a permanent pass?
    I don’t live in your brands of reality.

I saw Mr. DinkNDunk clench up tight on national tv, like I always have. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Nothing to see here.

Vikings Nation has scapegoated how many people now???
    This guy was Zimmer’s golden child a couple of months ago, remember?

REALITY CHECK v0.59: Cousins is at best a C+ QB, Vikes drank his Kool Aid and you’re STILL drunk on him. He’s not a winner. Zimmerman is inconsistent. Cook is injury prone. …what else…?

33. That may ensure a reunion with Brady and McDaniels for the obligatory every other year Superbowl championship. The two most dominate players in the AFC are Bal QB Jackson and Tenn.RB Henry. No one can tackle Jackson and no one wants to tackle Henry, so we need to address LB’s and Strong Safety as well.

34. If Stefanski can’t handle Diggs and Thielen, how in the world is he going to handle OBJ and Mayfield?

Can’t wait to watch. I’m gonna go get me some popcorn 🙂

35. jedimasterbates says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:46 pm
    I figured Salah was the guy. If the Niners D continues to improve he should be the top candidate next off-season.
    _____________________________________

No way Saleh was getting the job, the Browns needed someone to babysit/mentor Mayfield and a defensive minded HC won’t be able to do that!

36. Just once I wish a HC would let it be known that if you interview with another team while our season is still going, you better not even show up for work again! That being said, good riddance!

37. Stefanski ran the Vikings playbook from 1960 or whenever. No matter who they’ve had in Minny at that position, its always been a ball control offensive scheme. Long drives giving your d a rest and wearing out the other with a smattering of a long ball once in a while. First down run. Second down run. Third down and short a run or short pass to the TE. That’s it. Same thing different coach. Next man up

38. I’m guessing Klink Kubiak will become the Vikings new OC and his Dad stay in his current role. Think I’d rather have Shurmur, but maybe he could still come back as some sort of offensive assistant.

39. A number of posters assume all of the candidates that interview see it as a one way street which isn’t the case.

Candidates also interview the team and the smart ones bow out, not necessarily publicly, if it isn’t a good fit. That’s the mistake McDaniels made with Indy, he committed without being all in.

40. Either Bienemy is a terrible interviewer, or he just got played for the purpose of the Rooney Rule by every NFL team.

41. It’s a hiring that makes sense, given that the Browns’ owner has decided to commit big-time to analytics. That makes Stefanski perfectly aligned with fellow Ivy Leaguer Paul DePodesta. But any time a guy becomes a head coach for the first time, there are going to be questions about how he’ll handle it. Yeah, he can handle the data side of it, but can he command respect from big-time players like Beckham and Landry? And it’s going to take more than a firm command of flowcharts to turn Mayfield around. On the whole I do like the hire, in the sense that the team wanted the coach and the front office to be on the same (for a change). This accomplishes that. Now we need to see how Stefanski handles the coach-as-respected-leader aspect of the job. Only time will tell on that count.

42. I think Kubiak was the man anyway. Now maybe we go and pitch shurmer Think maybe he was gone before the game started. Hate it when teams have a good year and all other teams pillage the coaches

43. Good for Kevin Stefanski. I wish him well. I also wish more of my fellow Vikings fans would do the same. He put in a lot of years here and always handled himself with class once he became more of a public figure over the last couple years.

44. I’ve always been the most impressed with coaches that can get their teams to the playoffs without an elite QB. The Vikings have done that. I’m also more impressed with teams that don’t just hire the flavor of the month coach, because those coaches tend to change every month. It’s like when the Patriots hired Bill Belichick after he had been fired from Cleveland because he didn’t win enough games. That hire turned out ok. DePodesta has proven that he doesn’t have a clue about football, but if you throw enough darts, and keep throwing them, sooner or later you’re bound to something. I also think the GM is more important than the coach, so they’re going to have to start all over again if they want to win. The fact that the owner has come out and said he thinks they have the right players, tells me that he’s only going to hire “yes” men that will say whatever they need to say to get hired, but will not succeed. So this coach might be a good coach, but like we’ve seen so many times, and like we saw with Belichick when he was with the Browns, you need the right players to win. It starts with the QB. Good QB’s don’t get coaches fired. Good QB’s get their coaches to the HOF.

45. I fully expect this guy to return the Browns to that 7-9 greatness that generated so much hype after the 2018 season. Some people just never learn.

46. That game plan was all Zimmer , its easy to see when he takes over play calling and game planning on Offense they always revert back to the 90’s Dallas Cowboys running game only without the great O line .

47. It is difficult to ascertain whether the Vikings problems with its offense is due to the OC or the QB. The same question will linger with the Dawg Pound, if the Browns offense sputters under the new coach.

48. I guess the Browns couldn’t get a high school or college coach to fire after 10 games, so they settled for someone who is an unknown in the nfl because he coaches that loser The Cuz. Cuz is so bad, I don’t know how to evaluate this guy.

49. Let me educated those people who are saying, “Nobody knows if this is a good hire.” or, “Great hire!”

I can prove to you he isn’t a good hire because The Browns picked him. Just like they picked Kitchens, Huey, Pat Shurmur, ect. There is absolutely no evidence they know what they are doing.

You did watch the Packers game, Saints game, and 49ers game right? The Vikings offense is like a bad version of the Titans with a horrible offensive line. This guy will be half Freddie Kitchens and half Pat Shurmur.

Vikings= horrible offensive line, offense looked lackluster

Browns= horrible offensive line. Yeah I am sure he will well.

Guess I expect too much from fans who defended Garret for swining a helment at someone’s head. Bad hire. He will last two years.

50. Advise to him.
    Don’t get too comfortable there. Don’t move the wife and kids(if any) yet because you could get fired in a year.
    Good painful luck

51. There are only three ways for Vikings. It’s either Kubiak, Clint or Shumur. If Kubiak doesn’t want it then it has to be Shumur. Clint is probably not ready at this time.

52. Eh – I still see 8-8 at best for them next year. Vikings offense at least had a QB who knows to throw the ball away if things go wrong. Baker will just keep chucking it into triple coverage no matter who is the HC and Haslem will keep enabling it because Baker sells tickets.

53. orangecrush78 says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:34 pm

Use a real argument.

***************************************************************************

An actual argument is that he’s never been outside of the Vikings system. Total collegiate and NFL experience: a year at Penn back in ’06, Vikings since then.

He’s clearly willing to stay in one place and not bounce around seeking promotion. OTOH, probably want someone with a broader array of experience outside of one team. Also, even though Minnesota’s been middling-to-decent over the span of time Stefanski’s been there, the defense has often been the strong point. If you look over the years (particularly recently), the offenses are never terrible, but they’re not great, either.

So yeah — who knows whether he’ll be is a good coach. It’s impossible to separate him from the system he’s been in and he’s often had the benefit of solid defenses to fall back on. I’d take him of Freddie Kitchens in a split second, though.

54. J K says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:40 pm
    _________________________

Lesser hires? SERIOUSLY? Bieniemy doesn’t even run the Chiefs offense so technically he’s just a glorified positions coach, that’s Reid’s offense plain and simple. Besides how many years has Bieniemy been an NFL OC that calls the plays? The answer is 0 so who’d want to give someone with that little OC experience a HC job? The Browns did it once with Kitchens and they obviously weren’t going to make that mistake again, which is shocking for the Browns. I just don’t get where people think Bieniemy is that great of an OC when its Reid’s offence!

55. So weird.
    Yesterday the Barneys were telling Niner fans to pick their poison when dealing with the Vikings high octane offense, and today it seems like they can’t get rid of Stefanski fast enough.
    It’s so unlike this fan base to turn on one of their own so quickly. 🙄

56. vikeman51270 says:
    January 12, 2020 at 1:27 pm

____________________________________________

Its part of the game and the biggest reason its so hard to repeat as SB Champion!

57. jam11163 says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:27 pm
    Bummer. Now I have to deal with gym shorts as our dc again. Smh

36 9 Rate This
    ————————————

I wouldn’t have been sad if Schwartz left, but I’m not sad that he stays, either. Is he the best? No, but he’s not bad either. If you’re not gonna get Wade Phillips, Schwartz is the best option in Philly.

58. Browns, if you really want to go from abysmal to mediocre, find a way to get Spielman, Zimmer, Kubiak, and throw in Cousins + Cook for good measure. The team will be winning every other year, will be in the playoffs, and even win in the playoffs. Baby steps, but this is a guaranteed formula for some success, which is more then the Browns organization has seen in years.

59. Hardly. McDaniels wanted to blow things up like Flores did in Mia. The brass wants to put a band aid on things.

60. Maybe teams shouldn’t be allowed to talk to playoff coaches at all till they are done. Where was his mind yesterday? Playcalling was worse than a bad high school coach. Same with Shurmur in NFC Championship.

61. Young coaches have become a trend. I actually think Stefansky is better suited as a head coach than all of the other positions he has in his 13 or 14 years with the Vikings. When Kubiak was brought in Stefansky was thrilled to soak up his knowledge.

62. McDaniels brought this on himself by leaving the Colts in the lurch. Ownership in the league doesn’t appreciate that kind of garbage and has a long memory for that kind of crap.

63. I want more info on McD. I’m not sorry the gas station mogul didn’t hire him.
    Oh how I wish Jimahdeewould sell the team. My dying wish for the next generation.

64. margoadams says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:23 pm
    If you can’t move the ball with the likes of Theilen Diggs and Cooke, you can’t move the ball with Landry OBJ or Chubbs.

Well, no one can drive with Cousins……..

65. margoadams says:

January 12, 2020 at 12:23 pm

I disagree, Landry has made multiple pro bowls, OBJ has been a 2 time first team all pro (Thielen and Diggs have never done that once), and Chubb is pretty even with Cook but less injury prone. If he fails, it won”t be because he didn’t have equal talent.

66. McDaniels did not get denied. He chose to stay in NE where he will eventually take over as the head coach. Stefanski is taking a big risk taking the Browns’ gig. Best of luck to him.

67. killmarson says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:25 pm
    Thats what you get mcdaniels!

————————

For what? Turning the Colts down when they failed to disclose Luck’s true condition? The real weasel here has an affinity for pain meds, overpriced guitars and tacky shirts.

68. The Browns fire their HC who had 8 games experience as a OC and they hire a new HC who has 17 games experience as a OC, BRILLIANT, taking BABY STEPS!

What do they call it when you do the same things over & over and expecting a different result?

69. The playcalling was horrendous under freddie so Stefanski should help with that, but, so was everything else and this hire was too important to bring on someone who needs training wheels.

Next step the talent in Cleveland will start demanding their way out.

70. rallyhound says:
    January 12, 2020 at 5:53 pm
    _______________________________

71. Not sure he’s the best candidate but to be honest, it’s nice to see someone new get a chance. I’m all for new coaches getting opportunities but my lord, whoever takes a chance on Bieniemy is going to be very happy in my opinion.

72. 3yardsndust says:
    January 12, 2020 at 3:56 pm

———-
    Actually, the “garbage” is failing to disclose the franchise QB’s true health status

73. I get this feeling that no one is excited about the Browns like they were last year and early this season. Thanks to the dysfunctional front office who have a way of taking the happiness out of their great fans.

74. And yet with ONLY 17 games experience as an OC that’s exactly what they did, brought on someone who needs training wheels!

_____________________________________
    agreed. After 40 years of fandom I just dont think I can keep doing this anymore

75. How can a team with same ownership make the same mistake over and over again? This guy’ll be done in one or two.

Poor McDaniels. Prolly scarlet lettered for good. Stuck in NE.

76. As a lifelong Browns fan…ABJM (anybody but Josh McDaniels). Works in BB’s scheme. How many people, especially coaches, have succeeded post BB? Almost none and I cannot think of a coach. Or a lot of players for that matter. Bailed after accepting a job. That’s a no no even outside of football.

If the Browns are ever going to cross this one, stop picking people you like because you see them coach other people. (and stop letting the homeless guy make your picks)

77. cdubyamf says:
    January 12, 2020 at 5:21 pm
    Zimmer is an OC killer. They all go on to sputter and fizzle elsewhere.
    _________________________

Is Zimmer an OC killer or does he always pick inept OC’s? I think its the latter!

78. Paul DePodesta is truly a magician..For his next trick, he will have Stefanski choose the GM to have someone to pin the failures on.

79. I was just thinking yesterday about how garbage the vikings O-coord who ever he is must be after watching the playcalling.

then today i see he is going to be a HC? hahaha

80. Vikings fan here—Kevin Stafanski has been with the Vikings organization for 13years. During that time he has coached almost every position and has served under 4 different head coaches—five if you count Kubiak. So he has had a lot of experience and is not some “green kid” who has been OC for 17 games. I think the Browns fans are in for a big surprise with Stafanski. I predict a winning season in 2020.

81. A friggin numbers guy who stays in California all week, who has 4-5 years of NFL experience at any level, who has never been a coach or game planned at all, gets to sign off on Stef’s game plans. Yeah, that should work.

The truth is Jimmy wants to be the defacto team pres, GM, etc., and Depodesta is as much his mouthpiece as anything. McDaniels wanted control that Jimmy just didn’t want to relinquish. Plus he didn’t want to pay an entire coaching staff, front office folks, etc. to do nothing if McDaniels was the HC. Now he can keep a lot of the same folks in place because Stef won’t say no and he gets to be the mastermind behind it all. It’s worked before, it should work again, right?

82. This one is a head scratcher. Until late last year, i had never heard of him. Nothing about him says he is a 1. He is a 2 at least right now.

83. Best thing for Minnesota vikings to do is redo the whole coaching staff and zimmer needs to give up the play calling be like pete carroll let your coordinators do their job and do the game planning for whole team

84. Brian Chapman says:
    January 12, 2020 at 5:00 pm
    margoadams says:

January 12, 2020 at 12:23 pm

_____________________________________________________________________________

Is it Cook’s lower yards from scrimmage numbers…..lower yards per carry number…..or his frequent injuries that you like so much more than Chubb??…..just curious….if you don’t have success spelling names like “Thielen” & “Cook”, maybe you shouldn’t talk smack using their names or “Chubb”. I was also impressed with “Thielen’s” 3 catches per game in his 10 games played this year…..that was awesome.

85. @Steve Cunningham says:
    January 12, 2020 at 2:41 pm

===========================================
    Last I checked, neither did Doug Pederson (with Reid), Frank Reich (with Pederson) or DeFillipo (with Pederson). The more you try to discredit Bienemy with your flawed logic, the more ignorant you appear to be. Bigotry makes foolish people sound like foolish people.

86. You have to wonder. Facts just do not matter.

Hue Jackson, an offensive coordinator turned coach had what record with this team in the last year of his tenure?

Fred Kitchens, former offensive coordinator turned head coach had what record with this team in this year?

Gregg Williams, former Defensive Coordinator had what record with this team in the period of his interim head coach tenure.

And they go out and hire another OC.

I have a soft spot for the Browns. I love going to Cleveland for games. I wish them well despite the rivalry with the Steelers. But they got to stop listening to Baker Mayfield. They need to realize a firey tough defensive coach had an amazing record with this team.

87. So Brady, Belichick and McDaniels are back in New England again. I will root for them to not even make playoffs. Bills are getting better and AFC is getting much more competitive. Double digits wins ain’t going to be a norm for Patriots no more.

88. I’m so tired of Cleveland hiring these coordinators with zero experience as HC. What makes them think they will suddenly learn how to run a team in Cleveland with zero support? A team can’t be this bad if they tried. I’m wondering if Haslam is making money in Vegas by betting against them? Why else would he be so dumb.

89. If you read the Canton Rep, McDaniels was right to want nothing to do with that organization. They wanted their analytics person on the headset on game days telling the coach what plays to run. I guess Stefanski was willing to play “mother may I” and McDaniels was not.

90. Rob Morganbesser says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:28 pm
    ——————————————–

Yep. Haslam is a complete disaster and shows no sign of slowing down. The NFL should care about stuff like this. They shouldn’t allow a franchise to be owned by such a complete fool. It’s not good for the league.

Cleveland has some good talent and can improve, but resetting the organization back to zero every year or two is not a formula for success. Every time Haslam fires the HC then all progress is lost. Mayfield needs stability to grow and improve. This kind of nonsense is just gonna kill his career and good players aren’t gonna want to sign with the team.

91. The Browns (or should I say Depodesta) played this very smart and Stefanski is a low risk, high reward pick. If the Browns this season would have had the red zone offensive production the Vikings had they would have won the division quite easily so a complete rebuild was not necessary because they had the talent. Just needed someone with a higher football IQ than Freddie (and that bar wasn’t very high to begin with). I mean no one is breaking down Greg Williams or Hue Jacksons door for a head coaching gig and both guys got hall of fame level numbers out of Baker Mayfield which tells you how bad Freddie was as a coach when you’re saying things like “remember the good old days when Hue Jackson was the coach and the QB that hated him because he was actually held accountable was rookie of the week every week for having 3 and 4 TD games.”

92. ARod(in his collarbone) says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:20 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kubiak as HC, offer Zimmer the DC spot or the door.

93. individualnumber2 says:
    January 12, 2020 at 12:45 pm

Ha! Josh took his wife with him to the interview and got DENIED!
    ——————————————————————————-
    McDaniels told the Browns that having a baseball guy involved in football decisions made no sense, and that he’d only be interested in the job if Depodesta was out.

But as usual Haslam is the smartest guy in the room and would only hire a HC that accepted the Browns ridiculous front office structure that no other team uses.