Arrest warrant issued for Odell Beckham over alleged battery on police officer

Getty Images

Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. is potentially in legal trouble over an incident that took place in LSU’s locker room after Monday night’s national championship game.

Video appears to show Beckham slap the butt of a police officer who was in LSU’s locker room. NOLA.com reports that New Orleans police obtained an arrest warrant accusing Beckham of simple battery in connection with the incident.

The report said authorities originally wanted Beckham charged with misdemeanor sexual battery, but a judge denied that request.

Beckham, who played at LSU, was celebrating with the team on the field and in the locker room after they won the national championship. Beckham has already been under scrutiny over potentially breaking NCAA rules by handing cash to players, but this legal scrutiny is potentially much more problematic for him.

After Beckham appeared to slap the officer, the officer turned around and exchanged words with Beckham, but he was not arrested at the time.

143 responses to “Arrest warrant issued for Odell Beckham over alleged battery on police officer

1. Why did they even allow OBJ in the locker room? He’s bad news. And it may have been only a slap on the butt, but most sain people aren’t going to do it to a cop. Odell is an idiot.

2. Is this really worthy of an arrest warrant? If Odell wasn’t Odell, and the police officer wasn’t a police officer, would this be prosecuted?

3. OBJ is clearly an idiot, but come on, there’s gotta be a better use of taxpayer time/money than spending effort prosecuting this

4. The Browns better be monitoring this and devising a course of action.
    They don’t need OBJ morphing into AB.

5. Why was he even in the locker room? He has to be the center of attention, this is why he will never be great and be know more for his idiotic actions vs his playing.

6. I saw the video. It was stupid of OBJ to slap a cop’s butt, however this hardly seemed like a criminal act. This was a celebration. And it’s a locker room. I am troubled that “authorities originally wanted Beckham charged with misdemeanor sexual battery, but a judge denied that request.” To me, that says they are out to get OBJ. I am not at all a fan of him. But this seems stupid. Go on with your day.

7. Oh please! I am neither a Beckham fan or LSU fan but lighten up… this overreaction is one of the many reasons people have a problem with “Law Enforcement.

8. When you actually watch the video, first he throws a piece of trash at the cop, then slaps him. what a dirtbag

9. You cannot put your hands on a police officer, even if you think it’s funny or cute in the locker room. At least a reprimand is in order — more than Freddie ever did.

10. over reaction but I question LSU officials for letting him near the locker room with his questionable demeanor…..

11. I don’t know who is more ridiculous in this situation – OBJ for doing that to a cop, or the cops for calling a butt slap “simple battery.” I’ll go with OBJ though.

12. In the video, it looked like OBJ took offense to the officer’s encounter with one of the LSU players and lit a fuse instead of diffusing the situation. And now he has an arrest warrant. Not a fun way to spend your day, probably. But, what do I know, maybe it’s a lot of fun!

13. Its great you can be on the field as a former player. Nobody needs you in the locker room Odell. Celebrate on the field with people your age and let the players enjoy their moment.

14. Alright Stefanski… Make your presence felt… How much discipline can you enforce…? Get rid of the “noise”…

15. Watch the video. The officer was obviously in a bad mood in doing whatever he was doing, and OBJ decides to slap his butt. Dumb move by OBJ.

16. If you watch it the entire thing is ridiculous. I’m not a big OBJ fan. But that doesn’t shouldn’t matter.

17. ForWhomTheBellTrolls says:
    January 16, 2020 at 12:09 pm
    I’m not an OBJ fan, but “assault” for a smack on the caboose? Sheesh….

————————————–

So what you would recommend he be charged with? Slap on the wrist? Apologize, donate money and volunteer for some non-profit organization to raise awareness?

I just watched the video. Appears OBJ was looking for a confrontation of some kind. He threw something at the officer then looked squarely at the offices behind and slapped it. Backed up like he’s waiting for retaliation or reaction.

18. ForWhomTheBellTrolls says:
    January 16, 2020 at 12:09 pm
    I’m not an OBJ fan, but “assault” for a smack on the caboose? Sheesh….

You DO understand that you are not allowed, by law, to touch other people without their consent, don’t you?

19. you can 1000% guarantee that if it was Joe Burrow or Ed Orgeron who slapped the officer on the butt that video would of went viral as a celebration, and the cop would of asked for a selfie and a signed Jersey.

20. I know that for these college kids meeting former alumni who are pros is probably very special, but I think this makes the case that maybe cutting off access to the locker room right after the game is good for everyone involved. As for OBJ – its good to be excited about your squad winning the title but you made it all about you instead of them. The cop butt slap is much ado about nothing but maybe the NFL should give you a wrist slap/fine to wake you up to the fact that you are representing the NFL at all times.

21. Know your environment. You are in a celebratory looker room. He was in there threatening to arrest the LSU players. He needs to look for a new career. He’s not cut out to protect and serve. The cop took his authority too far. His superiors told him to knock it off. This screams “You hurt my ego!” Go find a new career that comes with no authority that he can abuse.

22. All that talent. All that money. And he is still a loser.

Any Giants fan that still slams the Giants for trading him are absolute fools.

23. Ehh, watch the video. I don’t know what he was thinking but he wasn’t caught up in the moment. He waited, reached in and smacked him. He then backpedaled like he was looking for a confrontation or something. Stupid is as stupid does.

24. On one hand, it is a locker room, butt slaps happen. On the other hand, its Da Browns. The cash thing is just plain stoopid on OBJ’s part.

25. While I respect officers of the law, I watched the video and felt that this whole thing is idiotic and an absolute waste of time to bring before a judge. What I want to know is this: what were the officers doing in the locker room in the first place? One would think they would have more important tasks to conduct, like stadium and fan security. Not gathered in a stadium locker room hovering over players spouting off about the possibility of being arrested and fined for smoking a victory cigar.

26. This is the kind of situation that makes everybody look like a fool

LSU officials for allowing OBJ to take the spotlight off the kids who honestly deserve it.

OBJ for just being OBJ.

And the NOPD for an obvious overreaction, at least with their charge.

I’d rather just be feigning outrage over cigar smoke in the locker room.

27. what a publicity hound and loser. Dude is a sideshow who can catch but definitely not worth the drama. Suspend him for acting the fool.

28. Watch the video of the incident. This wasn’t a celebratory “good game” slap on the butt. It looked more like a disrespectful “I’m OBJ and I can do what I want” slap on the butt. His criminal charge is extremely minor. The terminology makes it seem serious, but it isn’t.

29. He slapped a cop. Of course that is assault. He needs to be dealt with and i would gladly ask you to use my tax money to take care of him. Thank you for not letting him get away with it.

30. It doesn’t sound like a big deal, but if you watch the video, you can see OBJ is trying to act like a big man and show off at the officer’s expense. I read all the time about young people that claim the police don’t treat them fairly. But I think maybe they don’t know how to show respect for the police and then they blame the police when they are held accountable.

31. I’m surprised by all the comments saying this is an overreaction. So you’d all be alright with OBJ smacking you or any of your family members on the behind, huh? Cop or not, who does he think he is? Keep your filthy hands to yourself. He absolutely deserves to be prosecuted for this. The fact that it’s an officer just makes it a harsher penalty because he is showing he thinks he can do whatever he wants. I don’t know what planet the rest of you and OBJ are on but most of us don’t want people putting their hands on us.

32. as a police officer, i can tell you why it happened. While petty, an officer in the LSU Locker room asked players to not/stop smoking. the police officer walked behind a lineman and odell got behind hi then slapped the officer. even if he was drunk, it WAS petty. BUT, who is to say odel didnt do something before the video was shot? either way..it is what it is.

No, its not an assault, its a battery (physical contact)

33. Everyone knows you can’t be hands-on with a uniformed peace officer. Ever. Slap on butt. Doesn’t matter. Zero tolerance. And he did it repeatedly. Dumbass.

34. NFL only does something about players behavior if there is actual video of the poor behavior, so odell may actually get in trouble for this.

35. This is the way for LSU to get back at Odell for handing out cash to players, and for acting like an arrogant jerk with no respect for anything other than his fame. I appreciate how Jarvis Landry, who was seen attending the game early on with OBJ, kept his distance from OBJ after the game. Landry is clearly the more mature man. Also, why was ZEKE Elliot there in the LSU locker room?

36. Unfortunate that things have come to this but action needs to be taken. That poor kid has the mental acumen and intellectual capacity of a teen 14 or 15 years old. It doesn’t appear that he will ever progress beyond this point. He needs to be taught that regardless of the circumstances it is not a good idea to interfere with an officer during the performance of official duties. His actions and attitude speak volumes as to why sometimes people have problems with law enforcement. There are those that just don’t have the ability to function at an acceptable level in our society.

37. Good grief. I watched the video and have to roll my eyes at him being charged for this. He was goofing around in a locker room as they celebrate. Seriously, Mr. Policeman…get a life.

38. This happened at the end of the Titans-Ravens game. A Titans player slapped a security guard in the butt as he was running by. It was all on camera. Surprised that no charges were pressed in that one considering the reaction of the security guard to it.

39. I guess we need to know more about the “slap”. How many times in football do you celebrate and or say good job by a slap on the butt? Perhaps OBJ thought he was celebrating with the officer?

40. People keep saying he made it all about him. There were many alumni there celebrating. The media covers OBJ only. They’re making it about him. Superstar celebrity power.

41. When I first read the story, I thought it was an overreaction. I pictured a celebratory pat on the butt. But when I saw the video, it’s clear he wasn’t celebrating.

Maybe it’s still an overreaction but c’mon OBJ… just stupid.

42. It’s simple, there is a line. You do not put your hands on a police officer. Normal people know this, the rest get arrested. If you make an exception the line disappears.

43. Anyone here who would smack a cop on the butt at anytime or anywhere is not very bright. You NEVER touch a cop, NEVER

44. If a stranger swatted me on the butt, I’d pursue legal action too. You can’t just do that to people. I don’t understand all the OBJ apologists on this thread.

45. He causes his own drama. I can’t stand when people do this, then can’t own up to the fact that they screw up. People need to grow up and own up to when they do something wrong. He deserves to get arrested and suspended for just being stupid.

46. You could see the gears turning in Beckham’s mind before and he decides to do it anyway which was stupid. Seriously though, who really was harmed? Fine and diversion at most and Goodell should ignore it.
    I don’t even like the guy.

47. Like some of you on here I am not in any way a fan of OBJ. That being said, this is nonsense. I want to know why the hell the cops were in the locker room scolding college kids who clearly aren’t going to listen to a word they were gonna say. Was this part of the cigar thing? There are some things you just let slide and as long as no one was getting hurt they should’ve just let it go and left them alone.

48. Odj is not the brightest and his stupid actions show that. But that charge is a REACH. Fine him, Shame him etc but that is a Waste of tax dollars.

49. tarriusheywardcey says:
    January 16, 2020 at 12:58 pm
    _________
    There is a HUGE difference between “smacking a member of your family” and playfully smacking another grown man in the locker room after winning the national championship.

I will never be a fan of Beckham, but I also remember what it’s like in the locker room after a victory.

50. When I first heard about the alleged battery for a butt slap, I did an eye roll and thought “seriously?”. I figured OBJ was just having some fun in the moment and showing the police officer some love. Then I saw the video. OBJ first throws trash at the officer and then cowardly sneaks up behind him and smacks him on the butt (NOT like a “hey, we’re buds in a locker room” butt slap either). I have no problem with someone getting charged for smacking someone like that no matter what part of the body received the smack.

51. Can any of you go up to ANYONE you don’t know and slap them hard on the butt anywhere? It doesn’t matter who it is or where it’s at, it’s illegal, plain and simple. Go try it out and get back to me and let me know how it goes!

52. Dear Browns Front Office,
    Please trade OBJ for an empty cup of Gatorade.
    We do not need this circus act…let some other team handle it.
    Hasn’t anyone learned anything from past troubles?
    Come on Browns – think for a change!
    Hold them accountable!
    – Browns fan

53. After watching the video,it seems like Beckham was waiting for a clear shot at the cop’s backside and looking for a reaction. As stupid as this all seems,it’s against the law to touch a police officer in any way,so he got his reaction. It just wasn’t the one he was looking for. The guy just doesn’t get it. Grow up!

54. 1) OBJ is clearly an idiot. He’s proven it time and time again. 2) Why is their a cop in the locker room to begin with? Is it necessary? 3) If he wasn’t arrested on the spot by the officer why is an arrest warrant being issued?
    Complete nonsense from everyone involved.

55. I don’t know if it was a woman or a man (really doesn’t matter) but the sexual battery thing is absurd. He probably shouldn’t have done this and I am no Odell fan – but this charge seems ridiculous. He was celebrating and probably was doing locker room slaps on the butt – stupid and juvenile, nothing that anyone who plays sports hasn’t done. Maybe it was worse, but somehow I doubt it. This seems 100% like a cash grab kinda thing.

56. No fan of OBJ but…. A slap on the behind in a celebratory locker room = battery against a police officer?????? Wow!!!

57. I’m not an expert on security but does it not make more sense to have the police guarding the entrance of the locker room instead of being inside of it?

58. everythingsmagic2019 says:
    January 16, 2020 at 12:39 pm
    so why wasnt he arrested at the time?
    ——————————————

My guess is that they decided to go after him once they found out that video of the incident existed.

59. Take him to a magistrate, go through the procedure and then release him. That is a penalty of sorts, even if it might not do any good.

60. The lack of respect shown towards law enforcement in this country is an epidemic as far as i’m concerned.

Good for the NOLA police for holding this clown responsible for his immature actions.

61. I hated the trade when I first read about it . H e has mental issues . he has to go . TO Part II . Loved my Browns for 53 years cant stand OBK or idiots like him !

62. My husband is a police chief. I can tell you right now, you NEVER put your hands on a cop. As stupid as you think this butt slap was, it is a sign of disrespect and it crosses a line. What would be next? A friendly “shove” in which the police officer ends up on the floor? Is that OK? It is absolutely not a waste of taxpayer money to pursue this. There’s a principle here and if you don’t see it you’re part of the problem.

63. blogatron2000 says:
    January 16, 2020 at 2:19 pm
    everythingsmagic2019 says:
    January 16, 2020 at 12:39 pm
    so why wasnt he arrested at the time?
    ——————————————

————————————————

100%. This is about saving face and reminding OBJ who the man is. Absolutely disgusting.

64. I’d have to see it but, isn’t a smack on the butt the NFL player’s equivalent of a hand shake on the field. Seen coaches do that to players to show approval of a good play. Battery has to be an “offensive” touching in most States. Given the circumstances of a athletic locker room, sounds like normal protocol to me.

65. rambutt says:
    January 16, 2020 at 1:28 pm
    —————————–
    I’ve touched an on-duty cop exactly twice in my life, both times to help them up after a slip on ice–and both times it was by the arm. I would never do what OBJ did. But that said, is this really charge-worthy? Send him a nasty letter and be done with it, plus remember, in case he does any stupid stuff like this again.

66. sixthlombardiforthehaters says:
    January 16, 2020 at 1:46 pm

15 1 Rate This
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    I totally agree, he did act in a cowardly an aggressive manner. The fact that it was on a policeman becomes an aggravating factor.
    What an idiot.

67. Saw the video. Have to agree that Beckham was trying start something. He was definitely looking for that cop to “come at” him.
    For as much as people think that cop was jerk for trying to enforce a “No smoking” rule, he show more than enough restraint to not physically engage OBJ. Filing a charge against him with video evidence to back him up is more than enough “retaliation”.

68. OBJ does a lot of questionable things,but I still wouldn’t put him the same category as AB. Most of the things Beckham does hurt only himself. Brown has hurt himself,his kids,their mothers,and many other people. If anything,OBJ is an overgrown child. Brown is off the rails.

69. I see comments about the level of issue this was and I get it. A smack is harmless but what right does he have to put his hands on someone like that. He’s a complete idiot.

70. I can see his rapper carreer;

My names Odell,
    I have lots of money,
    I can’t help it,
    I am a dummy!

71. cpozsgai says:
    January 16, 2020 at 9:53 pm
    They were actually pushing for a sexual assault charge at first. They should be fired.
    *********
    No. They were trying to charge him with Sexual Battery. Battery is different than assault. Battery is a non-consensual, offensive contact with another person’s body. The “sexual” aspect is up for debate. Some states recognize the butt as an intimate or sexual body part like breasts or genitals. Other states don’t. By legal definition in Louisiana, OBJ committed Sexual Battery. That’s where you have the whole “Letter of the law VS spirit of the law” debate and clearly the Judge does not agree with Louisiana Law

72. And by the way, that wasn’t a garden variety pat on the butt. That was a fairly hard slap. And then OBJ was clearly taunting the police officer right afterwards. For what reason? Who knows.

73. My first base coach used to slap our rears when we got a hit. I always thought it was kind of weird, but never thought it should be a police matter.

74. Officer and several others NEED TO BE FIRED!!! Guard Never should have been in the locker room in the first place…. This is a WASTE of MY MONEY!!! OBJ is Still an OVERPAID idiot!

75. Officer and several others NEED TO BE FIRED!!! Guard Never should have been in the locker room in the first place…. This is a WASTE of MY MONEY!!! OBJ is Still an OVERPAID idiot!!!