Getty Images

Jimmy Garoppolo‘s 2018 season ended in Week Three in Kansas City, when he tore his ACL in a loss to the Chiefs. After the game, Garoppolo got an unexpected visit from Patrick Mahomes.

As he and Mahomes prepare to face each other in Super Bowl LIV, Garoppolo recalled this week that Mahomes made a point of checking on him after the game, something Garoppolo appreciated.

“I didn’t even know Pat at the time,” Garoppolo said. “For him to come out of his way after the game and wish me luck and everything, just a real class act. The guy is awesome on the field, off the field, he does it all.”

Garoppolo said he and Mahomes haven’t really gotten to know each other since then, but that one act gave Garoppolo plenty of insight into Mahomes’ character.

“For him to do something as simple as that, it went a long way,” Garoppolo said.

There is nothing but respect between the starting quarterbacks in Super Bowl LIV.

32 responses to “Jimmy Garoppolo recalls “class act” Patrick Mahomes seeking him out after ACL tear

1. Flattery will get you nowhere.
    Mahomes and the Chiefs are going to be all over the Niners like a swarm of bees.

2. The Chiefs D stinks so bad I cannot see them handling that running attack or defending the balanced passing attack, especially if they double Kittle.

On the flip side, outside of NE shutting KC down earlier in the year, and having Boger rip the game from them, dominating late, this will be the best D KC has seen in months.

I am not sure KC can score more than 20 points here.

3. johnnycantread says:
    January 24, 2020 at 8:54 am
    Flattery will get you nowhere.
    ——–
    Don’t be one of those Seattle or Minnesota fans. Kansas City has a great team and great fanbase. Humble yourself. 2 great teams are going to battle. Enjoy!

4. The Chiefs D stinks so bad…

Except they are ranked higher than the 9ers D.

this will be the best D KC has seen in months.

Except the Chiefs have already faced 6 of the top ten ranked defenses this season. Even played one of them twice. They are 6-1 against those defenses.

5. niners816 says:

_____________

Just my opinion.
    No disrespect to the Niners, but I think KC is going to run away with the game.
    Good luck, and congrats to you if I’m wrong.

6. Chiefs D is underrated this year. They actually have a bend, don’t break mentality. They can step up when a big play is needed. I give them a slight edge in the big one.

7. Flattery will get you nowhere.
    _________________________________________________________

LOL KC finally has something real good brewing and doesn’t know how to act. Chefs are pretty good guy, so just sit back and enjoy your team, man. You don’t know how long it’ll last

8. With 2 weeks to Prep I’m taking Andy Reid against ANYBODY, good schemes tie up great running games. For the 49ers to win this its on The QB. Not to mention how is SF going to stop the Chiefs very balanced offense. I’m picking the Chiefs 41-28

9. I’m a Chiefs fan. I’m looking forward to a good match up against a respected opponent. Each team deserves to be in this Super Bowl.

10. tylawspick6 says:
    January 24, 2020 at 8:57 am

——————————————-

Not a Chiefs fan, but you DO realize that especially in the 2nd half of the season (and the acquisition of Suggs), Chiefs D was a Top 5 NFL defense, right? And they shut down Henry without too much of an issue.

It took awhile to get it because Spags runs a complicated system, but Chiefs D is rounding into form.

11. Yes Mahomes is a nice guy. But then most 49ers are nice guys too. That is why there is such great team chemistry and why they have so much fun. Win with class is working.

12. It would not be surprising if it turns out that both offenses get slowed down a bit by the defenses given that the DC’s have two weeks to figure them out. A 27-24 score.

13. niners816 says:

_____________

Just my opinion.
    No disrespect to the Niners, but I think KC is going to run away with the game.
    Good luck, and congrats to you if I’m wrong.

______________

Good luck with that! The Niners played 1,095 minutes of football this year (18 games of 60 minutes with one full overtime period against the Seahawks.

The Niners trailed by double digits in only 14 minutes, 51 seconds of those games, all while playing as tough a second half schedule as possible. Every time the Niners got down double digits, they had an almost immediate answer offensively to get the game close again.

Chiefs may win, but no way are the Niners getting blown out.

14. jjackwagon says:
    January 24, 2020 at 9:32 am
    The Chiefs D stinks so bad…

Except they are ranked higher than the 9ers D.
    —————————————————

Nope.

Passing yards allowed: Niners 1st, Chiefs 8th
    Rushing yards allowed: Niners 17th, Chiefs 26th
    Points allowed: Niners 8th; Chiefs 7th. A diff of 0.1 points per game.

KC depends on passing points to win. The Niners are much better at stopping the pass. Of course, Mahomes is great at beating defenses.

It should be a great game. THe two best teams are in the Super Bowl.

15. So far, this niners fan has come across some great Chiefs fans. I don’t see how either team can take the other lightly. There’s a reason these two are facing off this season. The niners aren’t a finesse, fantasy football type of team, but have the 2nd ranked scoring offense. The chiefs who can put up video game numbers has a really underrated defense. What’s not to like about this matchup. From top down, both teams are well balanced, with two amazing play callers.

I’m just upset the league doesn’t allow the niners to wear those sweet ‘94 all white throw backs to the 75th anniversary, coincidentally our last super bowl winning season, while Shannahans dad was calling plays against another AFC west opponent in Miami. Silly rules the league has.

Can’t wait for a great game! Let’s keep the refs out of it, and hope everyone stays healthy. Strength against strength!

16. Nice gesture by Patrick. Family is a class act.

49er fans are running their traps. I hope they keep running them after the game while they lament their loss.

17. As a Niners fan I respect the Chiefs and Chiefs fans. I would certainly be rooting for the Chiefs if the Niners weren’t in it.
    But anyone that says the Chiefs “are gonna win big” is clearly not a real fan of the NFL as they have no idea what they are talking about.
    This one is definitely going to come down to the wire and both teams are capable of winning close games.
    I trust my Niners a bit more to sustain ball control and limit explosive plays. Niners 28 Chiefs 24

18. Most QB’s who get their teams to super bowls are class acts. They’re the leaders of their teams. This is why character is extremely important with any football player, but even more for the QB.

19. johnnycantread says:
    January 24, 2020 at 9:39 am
    niners816 says:

_____________

Just my opinion.
    No disrespect to the Niners, but I think KC is going to run away with the game.
    Good luck, and congrats to you if I’m wrong.

——————————

Maybe you should check your history books. More often than not, the defensive team wins in these type of games.
    The 49ers have a top 5 defense, and top 5 offense. The Chiefs have a top 5 offense, and maybe a middle of the Pack defense. Yes their defense is improved, but that doesn’t mean it’s good. The 49ers can win shoot out games to. Look at the Saints vs 49ers game. Nobody is running away with anything in this game.

20. OH I forgot about this. There was actual video of Mahomes running down the tunnel stopping the cart driving him off, just so he could wish him the best. I Knew when I saw that, this kid was even more special than we thought. He is a the role model you want your kids to look up.

21. This wasn’t an article about the matchup on the field, it was an article about the mutual respect both QB’s have for each other. I don’t have a horse in this race, so I just hope it’s a fun game, but the response “DURRR CHIEFS BETTER THAN NINERS” wasn’t really the point, and feels like something a dog Patriots fan might say. Be better KC fans. Be better.

22. jjackwagon says:
    January 24, 2020 at 9:32 am
    The Chiefs D stinks so bad…

Except they are ranked higher than the 9ers D.
    ======================================
    Please explain. According to NFL.com:

SF is #2 in total defense (yds/game) behind only NE. KC is #17.

SF is #1 in passing yds/game while KC is #8.

SF is #17 in rushing yds/game while KC is #26.

Are you referring to the fact that KC gave up 308pts on the year while SF gave up 310? That’s only .125pts/game better.

Fun fact: GB-31 KC-24 in KC earlier in the season.

23. me earlier:
    Fun fact: GB-31 KC-24 in KC earlier in the season.

================================

I guess I should add that Mahomes didn’t play that game. The D still gave up 31. SF averaged 30pts/game.

24. Mahomes is going to pick up where Manning and Brady are leaving off. The top QB in the NFL and face of the league. You never hear a bad thing about him and he seems to show that in everything he does. This is just another example of that.

25. Yeah as really the 49ers defense will have to depend on stopping Patrick M. And let Raheem Mostert run as Jimmy did not throw that much in the NFC Title Game.

26. Go 49ers! We will finally win our 6th title and be equal to the Patriots for most all time. No team has more and we are the NE of the west coast.